Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2017, 20:11   #46
BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

Few of fellow Scross 1.6 owners have started writing emails directly to MSIL - thanks to all of them .
Please share your emails here, if you feel suitable .
Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 21:14   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
Few of fellow Scross 1.6 owners have started writing emails directly to MSIL - thanks to all of them .
Please share your emails here, if you feel suitable .
Thanks
Sent email to CV Raman!!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-screenshot_20170521142529382_com.google.android.gm.png  

Dr.Naren is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 21:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Sent email to CV Raman!!
Everyone's going to get a standard assuring you the best at all times reply

The mistake is done by one person at dealership so MSIL will not pay for it & neither will the insurance company. Neither will MSIL act upon the dealer unless it happens for many customers; obviously dealership will not bear the expense for such a costly mistake. Leaving the only option up to the owner.

Not really sure how the outcome is going to be, but everyone will throw the ball to each others court with poor PO sitting ripped apart there.

I usually keep the record of all my refuels for all my vehicles; so from that stand point, what if the last few refuels (or the fuel from the Diesel tank itself) is tested for adulteration & slap it on MSIL & dealer's face? And no dealer will accept their fuel is adulterated as well

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd May 2017 at 06:35. Reason: Typo
Old 21st May 2017, 22:04   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

100BHP, I am shocked and saddened by what has happened to your car, and the effect that it must have on you, and on your whole family.

I am almost more shocked by what I see in the pictures. I am always amazed at how tidy mechanics are, even those that do not work for top-company service centres. It looks to me more like your car has been taken apart by scrap merchants. I wonder if they could even find all of the parts?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 22:12   #50
Team-BHP Support

Utter nonsense, fuel adulteration at best can switch off the engine. Even if you fill petrol the engine would have had a catastrophic stop with clear symptoms of detonation in engine. This looks like some circuit in oil line messed up and pumping oil out! Even a road side mech can figure this much out.

MUL is really messing it up! They should give you a brand new sealed engine and end this matter with a total clean up of car with an extended goodwill guarantee.

The way workshop has handled the car is another matter, appalling the way in which they have used the car to store a downed engine, even independent garages are more careful these days so as not to mess up the interiors!
Jaggu is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 22:42   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a long and detailed chat with my SA on this topic. Just for record, he is the only trained SA in my city for the S-Cross 1.6.

Some points which he mentioned:

-Adulterated fuel angle is just crap, and even if he puts pure petrol, the engine shouldn't throw engine oil like this. All havoc will happen inside, but the engine oil won't come out. This is just an excuse on service centre's part to put the entire blame on the customer.

-From where did all this oil come up?? Did any hose get ruptured??Source of oil leak is important

-Since Mohit sir has mentioned about CEL/MIL, it should get registered in the ECM. No two ways about that. Some current gen SDTs also store cleared codes against VIN of the vehicle. But only the latest ones have this functionality.

-Now why did the MASS clear the code?? Code is cleared only after some action has been taken and if the car is being tested. Here it appears that they are hiding something.

-Looking at the spill, most probably they had overfilled. He suggested that a look at the old headgasket and "Camshaft HSG gasket" should narrate the story. Quoting the camshaft HSG gasket because these were the exact terms he used.

-Its very unethical on SVC part to dump all spares like that in the back. Due to scarcity of space, even my MASS dumps spares in the back, but they put a plastic cover underneath so that the seat covers don't get soiled by grime and oil. Also what's with that missing HU knob?? Do note that knobs aren't available as child parts, so make sure it isn't lost.

The only thing which can go against him in case of a warranty claim is that he drove the car for some time after the MIL came.

Do you have a bill of the last service?? Kindly check how much oil you have been billed for. We have to focus only on this aspect of finding evidence against the SVC.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:52   #52
BHPian

On Friday (19th May) , received the following mail from MSIL :

Quote:
Greetings from Maruti Suzuki!

At the very outset, kindly accept our gratitude for being associated with the Maruti-Suzuki products in the past and we are sure that it will continue for even more. We always value our Customers as an important part of our Maruti-Suzuki family and are always keen to serve them.

This is with reference to your email dated 16th May’17, regarding your S Cross vehicle (Reg. No. DL12CJ1650), wherein you have reported your concern for the vehicle not starting. In this regard we would once again like to inform you that your vehicle was inspected on 5th May’17 at fully equipped workshop i.e. M/s Rohan Motors, Greater Noida, by the expert service engineers of Maruti Suzuki and trained dealer service team.

During the thorough investigation we have observed that the “vehicle not starting” concern in your car is prima facie the outcome of the fuel adulteration. The same has been shared with you through our earlier communication dated 10th May 2017 and during several telephonic conversations.

However our technical team from Gurgaon factory has taken the required samples for assessment. Based on the outcome we shall provide you with our conclusive feedback.

Hence in view of above we request to bear with us for some time. We shall get back to you at earliest.

Assuring you of our best services always!
Below is my reply today (2 parts) :

Quote:
The concern was not “vehicle not starting” – it was “Massive oil spray inside engine bay” .
Secondly, first mail date was 2nd May – not 16th May . I have never mentioned issue as “vehicle not starting” in a mail to you.

If you want to blow your own trumpet by writing ” fully equipped workshop i.e. M/s Rohan Motors, Greater Noida, by the expert service engineers of Maruti Suzuki and trained dealer service team” – I can assure you that it does not reflect by the look at how the vehicle is handled .

Correct the same in all future correspondence also .

You forgot to mention the due date by which I will get the report – how long do you expect the customer to keep going in dark ?

Please inform whether there are any charges for the days the car is being kept at your MASS ? I mean though the car is under maintenance & investigation, still there could be some clause somewhere which will eventually state that “since we have decided that the issue is with customer, so now the customer need to pay the per day charges from day 1 of entering the MASS premises “

Please inform me today only – whether it will be there or not ? and how long this will be applicable – as I cant foresee the timeline for the same.

Also, please state if there are any other expenses which could be added to my bill afterwards . Already I have paid the towing charges without invoice from your provided assistance services .

Last edited by GTO : 22nd May 2017 at 11:18. Reason: Adding emails in quotes. And please don't use BOLD excessively.
100BHP is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:23   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

Couple of points.

1. These workshop idiots are trained like parrots to repeat 'fuel adulteration' whenever there is an engine problem. The only car (*touch wood*) I've faced engine problems with is the wretched C180. Fought Mercedes tooth & nail, even providing bills of the COCO pump I filled from. Finally, they relented, sent a German engineer to check the car and he found that the problem was due to something else.

2. Bad on Maruti to treat their 'premium' customer like this, and bad on the dealer too. This just reminds me of the importance of sending the car to the right dealer. As an example, in Bombay, Vitesse is the best Maruti dealer and I'm sure if such an S-Cross had to go to them, the outcome would be different. Rohan Motors seems to be staffed by monkeys.

3. Will be adding this thread to the homepage later today. It'll reach all the right places .

Good luck with the resolution & keep us in the loop on developments.
GTO is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

This sad incident clearly shows the comfort zone of MSIL service outlets are really small, even though as an organization they are a gargantuan, pan-India setup. They were simply unable to sell vehicles worth more than a million rupees in good numbers once, and now they are apparently not good in servicing them, They excel only in supporting their bread-and-butter cars.

I am not a fan of neither, but the difference between Hyundai and MSIL is very much evident here.

What MSIL is unlikely to do by the looks of it, but they should do:
- accept the fact that the car was serviced by someone who's servicing the 1.3 MJD mills and not 1.6 and by all chance he misread the oil-change procedure.
- that MSIL will educate their support force about the BIG difference made by a mere 0.3 litre, both in terms of tech and money-wise.
- that MSIL will put the car back in showroom condition at nil cost to the customer
- that MSIL will come up with policies for both training and adherence to ensure quality service for such cars which are unlike rest of their cars. An immediate step would be an alert decal inside the engine bay that says "this is not usual business, attend by experienced personnel only".

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 22nd May 2017 at 11:46.
sandeepmdas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:14   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Couple of points.

1. These workshop idiots are trained like parrots to repeat 'fuel adulteration' whenever there is an engine problem. The only car (*touch wood*) I've faced engine problems with is the wretched C180. Fought Mercedes tooth & nail, even providing bills of the COCO pump I filled from. Finally, they relented, sent a German engineer to check the car and he found that the problem was due to something else.

2. Bad on Maruti to treat their 'premium' customer like this, and bad on the dealer too. This just reminds me of the importance of sending the car to the right dealer. As an example, in Bombay, Vitesse is the best Maruti dealer and I'm sure if such an S-Cross had to go to them, the outcome would be different. Rohan Motors seems to be staffed by monkeys.

3. Will be adding this thread to the homepage later today. It'll reach all the right places .

Good luck with the resolution & keep us in the loop on developments.
Thanks for your kind words !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
This sad incident clearly shows the comfort zone of MSIL service outlets are really small, even though as an organization they are a gargantuan, pan-India setup. They were simply unable to sell vehicles worth more than a million rupees in good numbers once, and now they are apparently not good in servicing them, They excel only in supporting their bread-and-butter cars.

I am not a fan of neither, but the difference between Hyundai and MSIL is very much evident here.

What MSIL is unlikely to do by the looks of it, but they should do:
- accept the fact that the car was serviced by someone who's servicing the 1.3 MJD mills and not 1.6 and by all chance he misread the oil-change procedure.
- that MSIL will educate their support force about the BIG difference made by a mere 0.3 litre, both in terms of tech and money-wise.
- that MSIL will put the car back in showroom condition at nil cost to the customer
- that MSIL will come up with policies for both training and adherence to ensure quality service for such cars which are unlike rest of their cars. An immediate step would be an alert decal inside the engine bay that says "this is not usual business, attend by experienced personnel only".
100BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:25   #56
BHPian

From my experience with service centres, most of the mechanics are trained just for the basic service and not trouble shooting for complex cases like these (all they are 'well trained' for is to add up to the service bill by recommending needless additions). Which is why engineers from HQ normally get involved in the analysis and inspection of complex issues and this takes time. What is bad on the part of Maruti is giving random excuses until the time they complete a thorough analysis. It is ok if that process takes a month but that should be acceptable as long as they have given a loaner as this is not a regular issue. Expecting them to give a resolution in a hurry wont really help.

On another note, I hope the OP keeps us updated especially of a resolution as there have been many instances of this forum/social media being used a means to arm twist the company for a resolution and then the updates completely dry up here. I believe everyone who is contributing in terms of suggestions deserve to know the final outcome of this unfortunate event.
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:34   #57
Team-BHP Support

Let them show how fuel adulteration resulted in oil spill all over the engine bay and intake? If they can explain the same with evidence, then worth talking to the workshop or MUL. This is totally ridiculous!

If not just go to a consumer court file a case and ask for a replacement engine plus damages for cheating.
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:43   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

@100BHP : I have no trust left on this service centre. If possible, try to get the repairs done from a better dealer. We do not know yet if extra oil caused this damage. But the service centre guys have gifted you dents, spoilt the interiors and HU knob is also missing.

I am sure Maruti Suzuki would take this seriously now. Good luck to Rohan Motors and Mr. PK.