Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:20   #91
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

@100BHP: Really sad to see the state of the vehicle as we care for them so delicately and our rides are close to our hearts..

Quoting a small experience with CEL and adulterated fuel during my last year ride to Leh in my Mahindra Xylo E9.

Just some 40 kms before Leh last year, I got the Check Engine Lamp On post which we stopped the vehicle and started searching for possible cause in the manual. it was mentioned this comes On owing to issues in emission system, typically, fuel filter, air filter and oil filter.

After deliberating within ourselves, we decided to move ahead at slow speed and halted at the Confluence point. We spent some 20 mins there and I decided to call the M&M ASC at Leh and happened to talk to a technician there. He informed us that it generally happens due to weather conditions and that there is no issue and we can drive to the ASC without any fuss.

Next day visited the ASC and they were kind enough to get all the 3 components mentioned above cleaned to my hearts content at a paltry 350 bucks.

During this trip, we came across many fuel stations where adulteration could be taking place as most of them were highway side bunks. We might have fueled at least 10 times and once it was from Tangtse village, 30 kms before Pangong Tso where the diesel was smelling with kerosene and it was clearly evident from the smell and color as well. We took almost 40 ltrs of it for out trip. Never during my whole trip, through more treacherous conditions than yours, did my vehicle give me even a slightest problem, leave aside oil spillage and the silly reason those idiots are giving you as a reason of adulterated fuel. Take them to task and everyone here on tbhp is with you..

I serviced my vehicle almost 7 months after I cam back from Leh and was using the same oil and air filter till then. Did not even change the diesel filter, just cleaned it and even using the same now. Even the so-called 97 octane running engines can take some adulteration as Indian vehicles are made with that consideration and then we do have fuel filters etc.
rahulya007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:22   #92
Senior - BHPian

Glad this was added to the homepage. Forget the courts, it seems like the only way to get reasonable attention from manufacturers is to hit them where it really hurts.

Wouldn't be surprised if Maruti fires that dealer.
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:25   #93
BHPian

What's with DDiS 320 scross engine failures. During my free checkup of Ciaz at pasco gurgaon, i saw a silver/grey scross 320 going in making all sort of weird noises, emitting insane amount of smoke and sounded like a seized engine (bearing in a metal can sort of sound).
He was also getting a 'vip' treatment. Going in and out repeatedly, with all reps looking at him as if they knew him already. It's sad to see incompetent authorised service centres screwing up cars. I have had decent experience with few but most are busy selling you an electrical checkup, lamination, and what not.
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:32   #94
Senior - BHPian

Came across this thread today morning and read through it. I support you, 100BHP. The MASS has bungled BIG TIME in this matter, no two thoughts on that. How on earth can adulterated fuel cause oil to spray all over the bay like that? They have been thoroughly unprofessional in handling this case on multiple fronts.
  • Clearing error codes
  • Dismantling engine without even contacting the owner
  • Dismissing the cause as adulterated fuel & completely shifting blame on owner
  • Their treatment of the car as a cupboard to store stuff. If there was space scarcity, why on earth couldn't they tumble down the seat & store things in the extended boot with plastic protection to prevent damage to the interiors?
  • Missing knob on head unit

First and foremost, ask them for laboratory reports which prove that the fuel is adulterated. How can smell prove whether the fuel was adulterated or not MSIL itself seems to be supporting the dealer's ploy to push all blame on you. I am sharing this on my Twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if Maruti fires that dealer.
Edit: I seriously doubt they will fire the dealer for this. At least in India I don't see this happening.

Last edited by AkMar : 22nd May 2017 at 17:50. Reason: Added reply
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:34   #95
BHPian

Extremely sorry to hear all the ordeal that you are going thru. Although i do not have any knowledge about the technicalities of the problem, but one thing is for sure is that in case of engine seizure, your vehicle would get completely jammed and not move an inch. And also the fact that they used a computer to clear the fault code being thrown by the engine. Hope you are aware that Rohan motors is a Unit of Subros, which is the largest OEM supplier for automotive air-conditioning to many car manufacturing company in india. And also that if i am not wrong, they own some share in Maruti Suzuki as well.

Nevertheless, it does not mean that we are not in fight against the malpractices of the service center and the dealer. Please try dropping a mail on k.ayukawa@maruti.co.in and also call on the number 011-46781135. Will confirm you the correct mail ID of some top level executive by tomorrow.
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:47   #96
BHPian

I have been a Maruti customer for 12 years now. Come to think of it, I dont buy their cars for their Safety or their feature list. I buy a Maruti for 'peace-of-the-mind". That is their only USP. Frankly , There is nothing else they have to offer compared with a Hyundai or a Ford. Now if that USP is shaken, there is no reason for anyone to stick with them. I do hope they realize it doesn't take too long to fall flat even if you are a market leader. There are enough examples across industries.

If Maruti is serious about customer service, they should fix the car back to showroom condition and pay back the towing charges.

By the way, those ceremonial robot emails from Maruti are really getting on my nerves!!
veyron_head is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:47   #97
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I had been driving cars with the 1.3 fiat engine for the past 7 years (they are Tata cars though). Fortunately, I didn't face any issues, but I have seen one case with similar issues during one of my service visits to Malik cars, Hyderabad workshop. The symptoms are very similar. Just as many of us have done in this case, the Malik cars workshop at the time diagnosed it as over filling of engine oil. That car was previously serviced at some other work shop. I wonder what would have been the diagnosis if the car was a regular at Malik cars.

Last edited by Enobarbus : 22nd May 2017 at 17:51.
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:26   #98
BHPian

Extremely shocked and disheartened to read about this experience of 100BHP. Lying, dishonoring warranty, non-communication, ill-treatment of vehicle, large bills, they've left no stone un-turned in ensuring bad customer treatment. Wish I could offer help at this point. I can check in my circles if anyone knows anyone resourceful in Maruti, but looks like even contacting higher-ups in Maruti is also not working. Someone rightly said that Maruti's only USP is peace of mind. Nothing else as all other OEMs offer superior vehicles.

May I suggest that mods keep this story on the cover page for considerable time (2-3 months or until issue gets resolved, whichever is earlier) so that Maruti eventually takes notice and gets into damage control?
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:58   #99
BANNED

Guys is this the same Rohan Motors that we are discussing here?

If Yes, then we need to reconsider visiting these guys hereon.

Link 1

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ors-noida.html

Link 2

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ined-road.html

Link 3

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-delivery.html

Link 4

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...eats-ever.html

Can see issues with this service centre in the past and is documented on our forum too. Sad that Maruti Suzuki isn't doing anything to help matters.
a4anurag is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:07   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Guys is this the same Rohan Motors that we are discussing here?

If Yes, then we need to reconsider visiting these guys hereon.
Yes, they are the same guys. They have a chain of dealerships and workshops all across NCR. I have experienced their showroom and workshop in Noida, and it was pathetic to say the least.

Infact Mohit sir should get the car to the MSIL owned Naraina workshop. It is also not a heaven, but atleast MSIL will be answerable in that case.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:09   #101
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Very sorry about PO!

IMO there are 2 things that could ve occurred.

Looks like the turbo hose has become loose and hence sprayed oil all over the engine bay, resulting in turbo seizures due to oil loss and hence engine issues

Or

Fuel injectors gone bonkers and spayed diesel everywhere.

Some questions if you don't mind:

1. After it stopped the first time and while you started and came to your parking place, did you experience any loss of power. Did the engine rev over 3000 RPM?

2. I get the feeling that the hoses have leaked and the engine stopped the first time. It restarted because you were gentle with the car and hence it reached your destination

3. Maruti is unwilling to accept the dealer's fault of not checking the tightness of the hoses and you have become​ the victim

4. How many Kms has PO run and when was the last service?

5. Fuel adulteration will lead to injector failures, again, was the engine sprayed with oil or diesel or both?

Any status update from maruti? Can they give you in writing that it's the adulteration of fuel that has caused you this huge bill?

Cheers
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:10   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
I am worried about the possible solution , but I am terrified to imagine how they will assure the reliability of the repairs, assurance of factory like quality with all those quality checks, how will they gauge what other effect / stress this issue had on other components & their life ? What is th effect of dust & grime & poor handling on wiring, injectors, fuel tank, turbo etc .

I am worried sick how will i own this car with peace of mind ever - will they get it repaired at factory - verified by all those tests ?
Hi 100BHP,

Can perfectly understand your concerns. Exactly how all of us will feel after dismantling the engine itself.
But you ensure that all of the above points that you have mentioned are discussed, tested as much as possible, assurance taken (maybe documented) and a complete QC done before taking it back.
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:11   #103
BHPian

I own an 1.6 S-Cross and love my car. It is the best decision I have made. But this news is scary. This is the 5th Maruti in my house and we always got a Maruti because of the ASS they provide.
But reading your thread and the comments from folks makes me scared of the attitude of Maruti. I mean what will it cost them to get an engine replaced? Isn't it a fraction of all the advertisement money they spend to keep their image?
This is their premium offering and they need to mindful of the customers who buy S-Cross. We, their customers are their biggest promoters. They should not lose us.
shivasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:20   #104
BHPian

Feel sad reading about the ordeal of a fellow BHPian who is one among the lucky few who is aware of the current affairs in auto industry and therefore able to make the prudent decision of questioning the incompetent and untrustworthy Maruti dealer as well as the manufacturer.
Luckily there is a community to support 100BHP and it should help a lot.

How about others who might believe every word from the ASS when they face such issues and end up shelling out huge sums without a chance or knowledge to question the liars. Trust is not much value to these well established market leaders or they do think so now.

I've shared this thread among my friends for awareness as many of them continue as Maruti worshippers and believe they get the best in everything. Better to be aware of changing times!

These are situations where a product owner shows they truly own and support their product. They should know that every single owner of the brand brought them profits and helped them build their brand. If such incompetence is not addressed as soon as they notice the same, the damage on the reputation would be more than what they would've anticipated, in this era of powerful internet where the negatives spread lightning fast!
rejeen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:42   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
This makes me wonder about two things:

1. In India, it is a matter of luck when it comes to customer care. The true quality of the company's care will come out only during difficult situations. And in this particular case, Maruti appears to be unable to cope with the situation.

2. Who bears the cost if not the customer? Is it the dealer or the Manufacturer? Just imagine, how much is 4L for a company that makes so much money and drives on its reputation for having the best after sales support? Why don't they resolve it in the quietest possible way?

100BHP, sorry about your difficulty, but I am sure things will soon be resolved to your satisfaction.
Having suffered personally at the hands of NEXA, I can assure you that the "premium"-ness of the brand is just a facade. Underneath lies the same talent (less?) pool of people who are not conversant with the concept of customer service. Wearing a jacket and tie does not a premium experience make.

I was lucky enough to have raised as much hell as I could have on social media and here as well (one of the best decisions I made at that point of time). Most people were supportive, and as a result I got the attention of (decent) people in charge. And from what I can only assume, a fair resolution.

A lot of people might tell OP all that he did wrong, or cast a shadow on his intentions (can only assume since I haven't been through the whole thread), but my advice to him would be to stay steadfast and get what's due.

Also, please work all the channels you have available to you. Sometimes it's just about being heard by the right person.

I've noticed that it usually is the outsourced or leased or licensed holder of a brand, or the lower rungs of ops who end up sullying it. People higher up in the hierarchy understand the value of a brand name and will do their while to keep it intact.

I don't know much about how engines function, or how what can fail in which sequence to cause this sort of damage, but the smoke and mirrors approach used by the Maruti guys (as described), and pictures of how stuff's been literally strewn in, about and around are enough to firmly entrench my sympathies with OP.

Best of luck with this! (You'll need it).
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks