Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2017, 20:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pictorial: Replacing the gearbox input-shaft bearing on my Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Thanks for the nice write up and report. ...you have your gear oil replaced?

Yes, we put in new 2 litres of Manual Transmission Fluid. I did not want to take risk of broken pieces from the old oil.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 21:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Input Shaft Bearing Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
My FNG Charged me Rs3500 for the labor.
Thanks for the detailed pics Lalu. How do you feel the gear shifting mechanism after the assembly?

Do you mind sharing, which FNG in Bangalore this is? They seem to have a nice place with good equipment.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 21:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Input Shaft Bearing Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Thanks for the detailed pics Lalu. How do you feel the gear shifting mechanism after the assembly?

Do you mind sharing, which FNG in Bangalore this is? They seem to have a nice place with good equipment.
Shifting is smooth like what I was used to earlier. Nothing amiss.

This is Bay6, Tadu's place
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 02:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting, thank you.

I did notice you are using liquid sealant on the gear box. Should that not have a proper gasket?

Thanks

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 05:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

I did notice you are using liquid sealant on the gear box. Should that not have a proper gasket?

Thanks

Jeroen
From the pictures shown I can infer that anabond sealing silicone was used. It is a standard product that I have seen used in many sealing applications both automotive and in the oil and gas industry. I saw the same being used in my car's gearbox. The casing for the gearbox usually comes in two sections which mate together. These "half casings" or handis as we call in the hindi speaking areas are of fairly irregular shape and I think it might be hard to seal them with a gasket primarily due to the irregular shape. the seal is has to be maintained against gear oil which is at fairly low pressure, another reason perhaps for not needing gaskets. I have seen the gearboxes of a few cars in the opened condition but never seen one with a gasket. It is quite possible though that some cars may be using gaskets for the sealing. Have you seen one with gaskets?

Last edited by bullrun87 : 27th May 2017 at 05:30.
bullrun87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 07:38   #21
BHPian

In my experience, Anabond products are strictly average in quality and performance. For such a critical application as your gearbox, I would recommend using Loctite or 3 Bond or an OEM approved sealant. All these are quite easily available on automobile or industrial supplies shops. But, since the job is done, you shouldn't worry about it but do remember to check regularly for leaks.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 08:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks

Jeroen
There was no gasket nor a sealant when we opened the gear box. It was a perfect fit.

Quote:
From the pictures shown I can infer that anabond sealing silicone was used. It is a standard product that I have seen used in many sealing applications both automotive and in the oil and gas industry. I saw the same being used in my car's gearbox. The casing for the gearbox usually comes in two sections which mate together. These "half casings" or handis as we call in the hindi speaking areas are of fairly irregular shape and I think it might be hard to seal them with a gasket primarily due to the irregular shape. the seal is has to be maintained against gear oil which is at fairly low pressure, another reason perhaps for not needing gaskets. I have seen the gearboxes of a few cars in the opened condition but never seen one with a gasket. It is quite possible though that some cars may be using gaskets for the sealing. Have you seen one with gaskets?
I have not yet seen a gasket here, but seen sealants. You are absolutely right, if you run your hand through the surface you can see that they are very well polished and clear, but the shape itself is too much of a fun to have a gasket I believe, but the surfaces mates each other pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
In my experience, Anabond products are strictly average in quality and performance. For such a critical application as your gearbox, I would recommend using Loctite or 3 Bond or an OEM approved sealant. All these are quite easily available on automobile or industrial supplies shops. But, since the job is done, you shouldn't worry about it but do remember to check regularly for leaks.
These sealants are enough I believe, since the surfaces bond pretty much well, and the oil itself doesn't exert much pressure on the walls. Anyways will watch out for leaks.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 11:11   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is quite possible though that some cars may be using gaskets for the sealing. Have you seen one with gaskets?
This is a picture a standard gasket set for a Honda Civic. Different model/box then yours, but you can see the sort of gasket typically used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A24A-M24A-S2...L/291489285931

I don’t think it’s a big thing one way or the other. Just wondering. In Europe/USA you would buy part sets for these sort of jobs. It would come with whatever was the recommended bits and pieces. Very convenient.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 11:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a picture a standard gasket set for a Honda Civic. Different model/box then yours, but you can see the sort of gasket typically used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A24A-M24A-S2...L/291489285931

I don’t think it’s a big thing one way or the other. Just wondering. In Europe/USA you would buy part sets for these sort of jobs. It would come with whatever was the recommended bits and pieces. Very convenient.

Jeroen
Very true, in US/Europe market sourcing components is a breeze. I wonder when in India things would spruce up like that. I would be vary of the quality standards even if it comes.

I am trying my luck with two online portals that have come up in India - boodmo and Sparesncare. I have ordered similar parts, waiting to see the quality and genuineness. This will go a long way in building my trust with these fellows. As of now, boodmo seems to take like forever to ship a part
Old 7th September 2017, 16:51   #25
BHPian

Hi, I just happened to stumble upon this thread and what a great one ! So detailed with pictures, loved it. Thanks.

BTW, how was your experience with those two new online India spare parts vendors ? Do they have everything for a Civic ? Thanks.

Swami
Old 8th September 2017, 08:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Hi, I just happened to stumble upon this thread and what a great one ! So detailed with pictures, loved it. Thanks.

BTW, how was your experience with those two new online India spare parts vendors ? Do they have everything for a Civic ? Thanks.

Swami

Boodmo, you can forget them. I have ordered parts and after a month of inaction I send them an email. I got a reply the supplier will dispatch in 7 days. Its been more than a month since then. CANNOT RELY ON THEM for an immediate service need, which most often will be our cases!! But they claim to have OEM spares.

Sparesncare, I ordered a filter, and since that one was not available they send another one of better quality. Turn around times are good, but not great. 15 days. Here it is all OEM equivalents, not OEM ones. Here too a distress service requirement will suffer.

A planned replacement of identified parts with a waiting period for delivery you can consider these two.

But I've had some good experiences from industrybuying.com for spares, OEM equivalents. Good pricing, discount coupons, etc..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks