Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2017, 22:26   #1
BHPian

Shell V-Power Diesel launched

Guys, just received update that Shell V Power Diesel is now available at the outlets.

Till now Shell had 1 brand of fuel called Diesel with Fuel economy, & 2 brands of petrol, regular unleaded and V Power.

Now V Power in Diesel is available. From personal experience, Shell regular Diesel already provided better engine response and the car felt more peppy with a much better mid range.

Can't wait to try out the V Power Diesel, Enthusiasts, rush to the nearest bunk and do let the feedbacks flow in. My next refill will definitely be the premium fuel for testing purpose. Next update after that.

For motorists who didn't feel any difference between Shell and other Diesels or felt Shell is inferior, opinions are welcome regarding the V Power Diesel vs other Diesels.

For those who did feel that Shell Diesel is better, looking forward to comparisons exclusively between Shell regular and V Power Diesel.

Last edited by Racer911 : 26th May 2017 at 22:34.
Racer911 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 11:19   #2
BHPian

re: Shell V-Power Diesel launched

From their website, seems there are some additives to ensure better cleaning of the injectors and thus reducing soot deposits. On paper, this sounds interesting for MJD owners like me who moved away from Shell diesel due to the increased smoke. Maybe will give it a try in my next refill.
What is the price difference compared to normal diesel?

Last edited by prkiran : 27th May 2017 at 11:20.
prkiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 12:11   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the update.
Will definitely try V Power Diesel next, and will put up a comparison vs Shell regular diesel.
I prefer Shell not just for their (perceived?) superior fuel quality, but also their unmatched Customer Service. No pump takes care of their customers like Shell does.
Shell Diesel has always given me better response and mileage compared to any other pump diesel, so im quite excited about V-Power.
satya180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 12:46   #4
BHPian

I have used Shell diesel on 4-5 occasions which translates to about ~3000-4000 kms out of the total of 50,000 kms run till date.

My observations:
  • Always used the same Shell outlet (Wakad, Pune)
  • Excellent customer service. Free fluid levels checking and windshield cleaning.
  • No observable change either in mileage or engine performance. In fact, there was a very small dip in mileage. Cannot say with certainty whether that was due to fuel quality or aggressive driving.
  • Will certainly give V Power a shot next time
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 12:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

This came at the right time.

I just got my first diesel car few days ago and was wondering what options I had in diesel equivalent to petrol options. Will try this in the next tank full and observe if any difference.
I am sure it will be on the highways it will make a difference since the petrol V Power did that.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 15:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oh no! This is the worst news. I had stopped taking my 2004 Alto to shell bunk for petrol due to constant harassment to try V power. I always have to refuse at least 3 times and often have to shout to have ordinary petrol. Often times only V power is available with no ordinary petrol.
I always fill diesel for my Mobilio from Shell. If this harassment is going to start for diesel too, then I'll shift to HP.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 08:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
From their website, seems there are some additives to ensure better cleaning of the injectors and thus reducing soot deposits. On paper, this sounds interesting for MJD owners like me who moved away from Shell diesel due to the increased smoke. Maybe will give it a try in my next refill.
What is the price difference compared to normal diesel?
No idea regarding price as havent visited the outlet yet. Will go in the next 3 to 4 days for my weekly fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Oh no! This is the worst news. I had stopped taking my 2004 Alto to shell bunk for petrol due to constant harassment to try V power. I always have to refuse at least 3 times and often have to shout to have ordinary petrol. Often times only V power is available with no ordinary petrol.
I always fill diesel for my Mobilio from Shell. If this harassment is going to start for diesel too, then I'll shift to HP.
Hi, this harassment issue seems like an isolated issue with that pump. Although they do try to promote the V power, I've never faced strong persistence. They sometimes request me to try and feel the difference, but I always deny clearly and politely + never had an issue like regular petrol not available. Maybe a tactic to clear their V Power Stock.

I think if you deny very clearly in such a manner that they're absolutely sure you're not gonna agree for the premium fuel, maybe they wont ask thrice??

Although, the one thing I do not like is that in the 2 wheeler line, they've got a dedicated line for those who want to buy V Power although its not like that the machine in that particular line only dispenses V power.

I think if you genuinely like the Shell fuel better than the others, you should give that to your vehicle. The little persistence from their side will go away if you go regularly, they start recognizing you and you out rightly refuse the V power without a second thought.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th May 2017 at 10:12.
Racer911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 17:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

I visit the said bunk on Tumkur road 2 times a week. And not just me, this has happened to may people. One guy in an ambassador was in a state after the attendant filled up V power when he had asked for plain petrol. The management gives incentives based on the amount of V-power sold. Also the dedicated line for V-power is there for 2 wheelers and another one for 4 wheelers.
I can understand V-power for new vehicles and performance vehicles. but for my 13 year old alto. Or for a 20 year old Amby? The very courtesy that they had in early days is missing now, with only pushing their premium product.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 22:48   #9
BHPian

Visited the shell pump in arcot road chennai for filling up diesel for my scross. It's been a while since I have used shell and after reading today's post went there to check out the V Power diesel . Unfortunately no stock of V Power and hence filled the regular diesel. I did definitely feel some refinement after driving some x kms today. I hope it's not physiological in nature and actual difference in refinement levels
Ananthc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 23:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthc View Post
Visited the shell pump in arcot road chennai for filling up diesel for my scross. It's been a while since I have used shell and after reading today's post went there to check out the V Power diesel . Unfortunately no stock of V Power and hence filled the regular diesel. I did definitely feel some refinement after driving some x kms today. I hope it's not physiological in nature and actual difference in refinement levels
hi, Anant

In the S Cross you should definitely feel the difference and improvement in pick up too as I believe it's the same engine as the Ciaz?? except if it's the 1.6 (but which is also the same Fiat engine just bigger displacement). The difference in my Ciaz Diesel is very prominent and instant improvement is felt in pick up and engine feels more free revving. If you haven't yet, let the car rev till 3500 rpm after 1st and you should feel the freeness with which it reaches there instead of other Diesel brands where it feels a little strained. Try this, Start normally, then slot the car in 2nd, and then feel the difference in in-gear acceleration and after that just while reaching 2000 rpm the difference in torque is very much noticeable with Shell vs other Diesels.
Racer911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 08:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer911 View Post
hi, Anant

In the S Cross you should definitely feel the difference and improvement in pick up too as I believe it's the same engine as the Ciaz?? except if it's the 1.6 (
Hi Racee911- thanks for this. Mine is 1.3 version and will definitely try out your suggestion. Probably after few more days of run , will comment on this. In mean while can you also check out the Vpower and let us know how it is. Thanks !
Old 29th May 2017, 11:08   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Feeling good! All these days, I was irritated by the shell guys to go for V-power. I've lost count of how many times I've used the word "beda" (don't want in Kannada) and Many a times I've literally told it with an angry face and tone. my friends who are mostly diesel car owners were spared of this. Now they will also face the music

As far as the performance was considered, I gave in to their harassment and filled the V-power petrol 2 times in a row)
Contrary to their claims, I found that my car became rough and the FE dropped considerably. So, normal petrol it is for my car.

Just like the irritating credit card/personal loan calls, I'm just ignoring this too.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 11:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mods: Kindly merge this thread with the other thread exclusively on Shell fuel.

I have been filling diesel in Shell since I got my Rapid in 2012 (Save the few occasions when I go on a highway trip and Shell is not available). In the initial few days, I was filling at the Govt pumps and then switched to Shell. My observation is the below:
1. Engine seems sluggish and slight loss of pickup in Shell. It seems better with the PSU fuel pumps. This has been my experience since day 1 and I don’t know why.
2. Mileage seems marginally better in Shell, possibly because of the short changing done in PSU pumps. Shell does not cheat.
3. Peace of mind with Shell. You know Shell does not cheat so you can let your guard down a bit. In PSU pumps, cannot afford to do this.
4. Too much of cross promotion: In Shell, you will be bombarded by their "Saar windshield wash, saar cold drink/ wafer from shop, saar oil level fluid check, saar polish etc. Not experienced PSU pumps in a while, but I think they are not so annoying.
5. Annoying push for V power, discrimination / preference for those who opt for V power. This is exclusive to Shell. Don’t think this happens in PSU pumps.
6. Better service. Shell wins hands down. Pleasant behaviour of the attendants makes for a delightful experience all the time. Cannot say the same about PSU pumps.

Based on the above, I will vouch for Shell and will continue to be a loyal customer. I am worried about the potential push for V power diesel, which I was insulated against till now since I had a diesel vehicle.

Last edited by hrman : 29th May 2017 at 11:38.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 11:46   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Shell V-Power Diesel launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
seems there are some additives to ensure better cleaning of the injectors and thus reducing soot deposits
Guys, please proceed with caution. Nearly all manufacturers strictly forbid using any fuel with additives. If there is any sort of engine damage, your warranty claim could be refused as well, with the blame game starting on these additives.

Pure, unadulterated, regular diesel will always be my first choice. If there was a Shell pump near my house, I'd fill from there, but only regular diesel.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 11:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell V-Power Diesel launched

The couple of times I've used Shell Diesel in my Scorpio, I've never found any difference in mileage compared to normal BP or Indian Oil diesel.

In fact, I've got 0.5 - 1 kmpl more when I used Reliance diesel on my highway drives, without any change in driving style. Only problem is no Reliance pumps within city limits in Pune.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks