Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2017, 06:56   #31
BANNED

Re: Engine oil levels coming down, but there's no leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
..... (https://www.scribd.com/doc/217856475...il-Calculation), which is a fair indication of how seriously lub oil consumption is taken in the marine industry.
After submitting the above post I found (when trying to study the above link in detail) that the site needs a subscription before the full document (33 pages apparently!) is allowed access. But I think I made my point that lub oil consumption is serious business, just like SFOC is!
Old 2nd July 2017, 08:06   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueaquan View Post
-----
The car has already done 1.67Lakh. It has only been serviced in a MASS all these years.
Until 1.2Lakh or so, the engine was extremely smooth, but in the last 30K or so, I've had a rough noise emanating from the engine when I cross 80kmph-----
To use a popular Hindi film dialogue "bacche ki jaan loge?"

A car with that odo would have enough engine wear to warrant overhaul. Piston rings would be full carbon deposits and work. Valve stems and guides would have worn. All potential oil leakage points into the combustion. Corroborated by soot in exhaust.

Your SA is giving good advice. Overhaul can be many things including and up to half engine or fill engine replacement. MASS would typically do half engine replacement while FNG would probably rebuild engine replacing worn part with oversize one's.

Last edited by sudev : 2nd July 2017 at 08:10.
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:56   #33
BANNED

At the end of the day, let us consider the oil cannot be vanishing into thin air. It must either be dropped/vented or being burned.If the first is ruled out then must be the latter. One point which is very tough to catch is the 'blow by'.
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:25   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Lub oil consumption in IC engines does not seem to have such a detailed approach (at least I didn't find one after a cursory surf).
Yes, it does! If you look closely on page 2 of the link that you provided you will see that one of the main input parameters is SLOC= Specific Lubricating Oil Consumption.

Now, the question remains, is that calculated or derived from a testbed?

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks