Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2018, 12:07   #16
BHPian

Re: How to extract the maximum fuel efficiency from a torque-converter AT?

I have a 11 year old Santro AT which has run about 38k Km. It is only driven inside Bangalore city and mostly for short distances. Recently I checked FE and it is around 7-7.5kmpl in city. During initial years of usage I remember it used to give 9-10kmpl in city. There is no drop in the pickup. Does the Torque converter efficiency reduce with more miles/years of usage?

Last edited by mohan41 : 1st June 2018 at 12:09.
Old 1st June 2018, 12:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Recently I checked FE and it is around 7-7.5kmpl in city.
Summer and consequently AC usage has a huge impact. I've seen 10-12 in winter and 6.2-9 in summer on the same car and same driver (me ) in pure city usage.

Hyundai petrols are notorious at FE (owned a i10 in the past). Your current FE doesn't look so bad. If you want motivation, enquire i10 AT owners on their FE
Old 1st June 2018, 12:54   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I have a 11 year old Santro AT which has run about 38k Km. It is only driven inside Bangalore city and mostly for short distances. Recently I checked FE and it is around 7-7.5kmpl in city. During initial years of usage I remember it used to give 9-10kmpl in city. There is no drop in the pickup. Does the Torque converter efficiency reduce with more miles/years of usage?
Traffic levels have increased over the past 11 years. Perhaps your usage pattern (more stops, less driving on ring road etc) has changed over time too.
Old 1st June 2018, 13:42   #19
BHPian

I have 2014 xcent AT. In chennai city the max i get was around 9 only. But in highways if is stick to <100kmph i get around 17 easily which is the ARAI claimed mileage. So 9 for verna AT in city seems very good infact..
Ford_madhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 17:45   #20
BHPian

I used to own Jun-2015 Grand i10 AT Petrol top end model (sold in Jan-2017)
I got 9KMPL average in Bangalore traffic - with solo riding (AC on 100% time).
I used to switch off the engine at signals longer than 45 seconds... and at smaller signals, I would keep the engine in D mode and keep brakes pressed.

You are getting 9KMPL in a bigger engine/car and should not complain about it! Just reset your expectations.

My tip:
When on smaller signals, instead of keeping car in N and engine on, keep car in D and brake pedal pressed. I saw this in one of the Youtube videos and the underlying logic was that ECU will learn and reduce the Fuel Consumption.
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

This is what I get for my daily commute (10 Kms one way) with a 6 speed AT torque converter (Verna AT Diesel)

How to extract the maximum fuel efficiency from a torque-converter AT?-dsc_0275.jpg

This is on the higher side, sometimes it drops to 13 or slightly lesser.

I know someone with the same car (MT version) getting 18+ kmpl on the same daily commute route.

With TC, what I observe is that there's around 20 to 25% drop in FE (as opposed to 10% that's previously stated in this thread) with the same driving conditions.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd November 2018 at 10:47.
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Even my AMT petrol tigor returns similar figures sometimes, Diesel vs petrol mileage difference is HUGE in bumper-to-bumper traffic! Anything close to 10 is good for a 1.6 petrol sedan(even by manual standards).
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:41   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
]

This is on the higher side, sometimes it drops to 13 or slightly lesser.

I know someone with the same car (MT version) getting 18+ kmpl on the same daily commute route.
14 is an excellent figure, 18 appears quite high in city traffic at least even for a manual. I am not sure if many would have the patience to drive that way.

The TC will sap a bit of power as you are aware , drop in fuel efficiency is a price we pay for smoothness, convenience and reliability. The trick with TC is to avoid slip, accelerate as smoothly as you can, maintain correct air pressure and avoid excessive idle.
Old 22nd November 2018, 14:56   #24
BANNED

A lot depends on the road and traffic. I almost touched 18kpl on my Civic AT, on an Agra-Kanpur run. Civic is an exception since the gearing is very tall on the AT.
Old 26th June 2020, 23:48   #25
BHPian

I recently bought my first ever car in the form of a pre-owned Honda City V AT 2012 model, and it had run just 17165 KMs.

On the first tankfull to tankfull method, I got an average of 10.5 KMPL, which had 60% City and 40% highway riding.

Even at 24 years of age, I am a very sane driver, and I hate constant rapid acceleration with equally rapid braking, hence sedate.

Looking at the posts before me, I guess I should be happy with 10.5 for a newbie at AT. (I owned a Palio 2009 before).

During a recent trip to Nashik and back, I used S mode, and I used the paddle shifters and I observed that I stayed in the "ECO" mode even at 110 in the 5th gear. So I'm happy in that regard.

I love the minimal engine braking in the City at higher gears, helps me cruise at similar speeds without constant accelerator dabs.

P.S: Being a newbie, am I not yet allowed to start an ownership review?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks