Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2017, 10:47   #1
BHPian

How to extract the maximum fuel efficiency from a torque-converter AT?

I've recently purchased a Verna AT (used) and I'm rather disappointed with the FE I get in city driving. I mostly see sub 9 kmpl figures.

I want to know if my driving style is the key culprit. I usually drive with a light foot on the accelerator and push it during overtaking.

Can you guys suggest how I can better my driving style to get better FE?

Thanks!

Mods, please move my post to relevant section if this one isn't appropriate.
meetgds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 11:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: How to extract the maximum fuel efficiency from a torque-converter AT?

When driving automatics, always keep an eye on the rpm needle.
Use the gear position (for the Auto), in which the engine feel comfortable (between 1500-2500rpm).

As your car is a pre-owned one, get it thoroughly inspected & serviced at a competent service center.

Take it out on a long drive on the highway and check if the fuel efficiency improves or not.

And lastly, use correct pressure in the Tyres.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 11:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
I've recently purchased a Verna AT (used) and I'm rather disappointed with the FE I get in city driving. I mostly see sub 9 kmpl figures.

I want to know if my driving style is the key culprit. I usually drive with a light foot on the accelerator and push it during overtaking.

Can you guys suggest how I can better my driving style to get better FE?

Thanks!

Mods, please move my post to relevant section if this one isn't appropriate.
First up - would request the mods to correct the title of this thread from ' How to get maximum FR in Automatic (Torque Converter) cars?' to 'How to get maximum FE in Automatic (Torque Converter) cars?'

I am guessing you bought the petrol(?) Verna AT from a few years back with 1.6L(?) engine and a 4 Speed AT gearbox?

If all of the clauses of the above statement is true, then 9-10 kmpl is the FE you should be looking at city driving speeds.

My i10 AT with 1.2L Engine & 4 Speed AT gearbox gives 12-13.5 kmpl in mixed mode driving, that is with a smaller engine and a lighter car.

As a good habit, you may try turning the engine off at signals which are greater than 30 seconds. May see some improvement. Also, try to avoid kickdowns and increase speed gradually.
blackasta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 11:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post

Take it out on a long drive on the highway and check if the fuel efficiency improves or not.
I did take my car on a highway once, and I could see a figure of about 12 there.
Old 29th August 2017, 11:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

9 kmpl is decent FE for an automatic, but then it depends on how congested the road is. Approximately 10% drop in fuel economy is expected, when compared to manual Verna.

If you want to get a bit more FE, take your foot off the accelerator on flat to sloping roads.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 12:02   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to get maximum FR in Automatic (Torque Converter) cars?

Quote:
Guess you are going to get most of the replies saying you are getting an FE that should be expected from the car.

What were your expectations about the FE when you purchased this car? In city traffic conditions with a TC AT for a large engined large car like the Verna, I'd not expect anything above 10kmpl really.
The 1km +/- shouldn't be a big deal as that can easily vary based on how old the car is, how much b2b traffic you get into & whether you have Asics or Woodlands on the gas pedal .

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2017 at 11:14. Reason: STRICTLY no rude posts on Team-BHP please.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 12:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
What were your expectations about the FE when you purchased this car?
I guess my expectations were too high then. I was indeed expecting to get somewhere close to 11 in the city. More often than not, I'm driving in b2b traffic, so I think that's a major factor too.

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2017 at 11:15. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 29th August 2017, 12:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess my expectations were too high then. I was indeed expecting to get somewhere close to 11 in the city. More often than not, I'm driving in b2b traffic, so I think that's a major factor too.
Among the new-gen cars, the City CVT, Ciaz AT, Baleno AT, to some extent i20/Grand i10 Auto can manage anything above 10kmpl in B2B traffic. Not considering the AMT's and diesel automatics as the comparison would be flawed. But, assuming you have bought an almost new car(2016 MY Verna S AT) enjoy it for a while and dispose it without any regrets or expectations about the FE.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 14:10   #9
BHPian

You have not mentioned if you drive a petrol or a diesel verna. If you are driving petrol, this will be the FE you will get. I drive a CRDI AT Elantra which has the same engine as Verna, but heavier by 100kg+. And i get a FE of 9.5km to 10kmpl in city traffic, and highways fetching around 14-15kmpl. The petrol will be lower at around 7.5 to 8kmpl for an Elantra. TC AT is generally a less intelligent, yet the most robust Auto transmission. The 4 speed AT in Verna drops the IQ by a few % points further. But, the transmission is very reliable. So no reasons to worry if you expected vs actual FE is only different by an extra km.
bhaskaracs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 14:36   #10
BHPian

I drive a Swift Dzire automatic. With the AC on always, I get 11.5 in city and 19 on highways using the top-up method.

This is an old school 4-speed torque converter. I would say it is the fuel-efficient K-12 engine and the lesser kerb weight that contributes to the good mileage and has nothing to do with the automatic gearbox.

Pradeep

Last edited by pradkumar : 29th August 2017 at 14:41.
pradkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 15:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
You have not mentioned if you drive a petrol or a diesel verna. If you are driving petrol, this will be the FE you will get. I drive a CRDI AT Elantra which has the same engine as Verna, but heavier by 100kg+. And i get a FE of 9.5km to 10kmpl in city traffic, and highways fetching around 14-15kmpl. The petrol will be lower at around 7.5 to 8kmpl for an Elantra. TC AT is generally a less intelligent, yet the most robust Auto transmission. The 4 speed AT in Verna drops the IQ by a few % points further. But, the transmission is very reliable. So no reasons to worry if you expected vs actual FE is only different by an extra km.

I drive a petrol AT. Going by the answers here, I am assuming the figures I'm getting are not too low as compared to the norm.
Old 29th August 2017, 15:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The FE from a car will depend a lot on driving style, traffic, and maintenance.
- Assuming maintenance is good ( tyre pressure, fuel etc - all good).
- Assuming same traffic conditions (for comparison)

The last factor is driving style.
Under this, let's look at MT's.
- hard acceleration
- sudden braking
- clutch riding
- when you change gears ( early/late up-shifts / downshifts)

Each of these will contribute to the FE.

Most driving schools will tell you to move in first, and immed move to 2nd. People follow this. And many times many people even forget that they are in 2nd. and will move from 2nd ( Man, So MUCH Torque !! I dont need 1st gear at all ! ). This actually gives them a little more FE.

However, in AT's, it is all hard coded. Not much you can do to the FE - but for reducing the FE by hard acceleration / braking.

End point: So the FE that the OP is seeing would be par for the traffic & driving conditions that he is seeing.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 15:48   #13
BHPian

I have a 2010 i10 AT Asta with a 1.2 Kappa engine. I also get about 9 km in the city and about 12 in highway driving.

There is a clear difference in FE between ATs and MT. I observed this since I also own an i20 (MT), the 1.2 engine, which gives much better FE, despite the engine displacements being the same.
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 11:22   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to extract the maximum fuel efficiency from a torque-converter AT?

You don't buy a Petrol torque-converter AT for FE . Just ask any old i10 or Civic AT owner!

Frankly, as others have posted, 9 kmpl is decent for your car & driving conditions. Try picking up some tips from here, but don't expect too much from the AT - link (ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency).

The only torque-converter ATs I know delivering good FE are the ones mated to diesel engines. Even the AMTs & DSGs give better FE.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 12:39   #15
BHPian

Re: How to extract the maximum fuel efficiency from a torque-converter AT?

Well I have just booked a Creta Petrol AT expecting a FE of 8 to 9. Anything under will be a huge surprise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks