Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2012, 22:27   #16
BHPian

re: Engine stalling at low revs / idle

Sorry about bumping up an old thread, but I thought i will post here rather than start a new thread. Mine is 99' Carb Zen which has run 81500 km . I am the 4th owner. There is a peculiar problem. My car, will start normally in the morning, will run for 4 or 5 km, then suddenly engine will die, not necessarily at low speed or changing gear. It used to happen in the middle of fine running at 40-45km/hr speed too. About 6 months back it happened once. In the past week , it has happened thrice.

There is no pattern also. In total 4 times, it has happened in the beginning of the trip 3 times, that is after running 3,4kms, once hen it has run for 16 km. I check the temp needle. it is quite normal, in the mid range.
When this happens, I will try to start, engine will crank and again die down. After that , if I wait for 10 minutes, without the key in the "ON" position, ie, without brake fluid and battery indicator lights glowing, then start, engine cranks up, starts and journey continues smoothly.
Is there any joint which in the heat after running for 3,4 km , gets heated up joins , shorting something which kills the engine. The battery though old, is still serviceable. If battery is the problem, how come morning start is smooth?
What are the other causes, spark plug? Carbon deposit in engine? fuse ends?
Please enlighten me.
The problem is getting maddening. Regards.
Old 16th April 2012, 07:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Srikanth, you need to have three things checked:
The HT coil.
The capacitor in the distributor.
The diaphragm of the fuel pump.

There is a possibility of the float and needle valve in the carburettor being faulty, but right now I don't see this as being the likely cause.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 21:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Srikanth, you need to have three things checked:
The HT coil.
The capacitor in the distributor.
The diaphragm of the fuel pump.

There is a possibility of the float and needle valve in the carburettor being faulty, but right now I don't see this as being the likely cause.
Thanks for the inputs. My mechanic diagnosed it as problem in wiring, rusting in fuse end joints. Now rectified as I was caught in a mammoth traffic jam and my car inched over a 1.5 km distance over a period of 55 minutes. If problem was there it should have reared its head.

Regards.
Srikanth
Old 30th April 2012, 20:53   #19
BHPian

Re: Engine stalling at low revs / idle

Did not want to start a new thread and found the name of this thread closest to my query,so posting here:

My friends Spark is having a peculiar problem(if it is). His car is moving without accelerator at 20 kmph in 2nd gear(normal)..in 3rd gear too(!) and also in 4th gear(!!!!). So is it a problem(in all likelihood it is) and most importantly:-

i> What are the ill effects of this abnormal behavior of the car.
ii> How to solve it.

P.S:- The car was not on slope.
Old 1st May 2012, 03:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Did not want to start a new thread and found the name of this thread closest to my query,so posting here:

My friends Spark is having a peculiar problem(if it is). His car is moving without accelerator at 20 kmph in 2nd gear(normal)..in 3rd gear too(!) and also in 4th gear(!!!!). So is it a problem(in all likelihood it is) and most importantly:-

i> What are the ill effects of this abnormal behavior of the car.
ii> How to solve it.

P.S:- The car was not on slope.
Could you tell us what speed it was doing in 3rd and 4th gear. Below is the speed of the car(Spark) with respect to gear and rpm.
Gear Rpm Speed
2 1000 11.84
2 2000 23.69
3 1000 18.04
3 2000 36.09
4 1000 23.79
4 2000 47.57
5 1000 30.51
5 2000 61.02

All modern fuel injected cars comes with idle speed control system, which maintain an stable idling rpm even without pressing the accelerator. So if you slot the car in gear and release the clutch the vehicle will move even without pressing the accelerator. Say if your cars idling rpm is 1500, and you slot it in 3rd gear, the vehicle(Spark) will be moving at 25Kmph. You could check what speed the car is doing if you slot it in 3rd or 4th gear, it will be as indicated in the chart above.

If the speed is higher than what is given in the chart, then there is a problem. Otherwise there is nothing strange in the behavior you observed, and hence no need to solve.

Last edited by ecenandu : 1st May 2012 at 03:18.
Old 2nd December 2012, 23:17   #21
BHPian

My friend drives a 2009 model Ford Ikon. He is now facing a weird issue with his car off late. He says the car is idling for a couple of seconds in 3rd and 4th gear and then responds. When he slots into 1st and 2nd hear all works fine i believe. But the moment he slots from 2nd to 3rd the car never responds to the throttle and he gets a sound like how one would get when one depresses the accelerator pedal when in neutral. 2 or 3 seconds later it starts responding again. This happens even when slotting from 3rd to 4th.
He wants to know what the problem could be before taking it to the service center.
Old 4th December 2012, 00:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83
My friend drives a 2009 model Ford Ikon. He is now facing a weird issue with his car off late. He says the car is idling for a couple of seconds in 3rd and 4th gear and then responds. When he slots into 1st and 2nd hear all works fine i believe. But the moment he slots from 2nd to 3rd the car never responds to the throttle and he gets a sound like how one would get when one depresses the accelerator pedal when in neutral. 2 or 3 seconds later it starts responding again. This happens even when slotting from 3rd to 4th.
He wants to know what the problem could be before taking it to the service center.
What rpm is the car at when he faces this issue? Does it fluctuate ? From the symptoms i would think it would be doing that. How much has the car done? Does the car jerk as well in those gears? Some more info would be useful
Old 4th December 2012, 08:53   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

@Karthik,
Please provide more details, as per questions from Sammy above.

You have not mentioned if it is a diesel or a petrol Ikon. Also, at what speeds doe this happen ?
Old 4th December 2012, 23:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
What rpm is the car at when he faces this issue? Does it fluctuate ? From the symptoms i would think it would be doing that. How much has the car done? Does the car jerk as well in those gears? Some more info would be useful
The car does not have a tachometer i believe . So, he does not know at what rpm. No the car does not fluctuate, nor does it jerk in those gears. No system g has been used. The car has so far done 35000 km and it is driven by 3 people. Off late only his dad has been using the car and he has been ignorant of this issue as he drives it only couple of times a week. My friend noticed this issue only last weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Karthik,
Please provide more details, as per questions from Sammy above.

You have not mentioned if it is a diesel or a petrol Ikon. Also, at what speeds doe this happen ?
Its a petrol car. Speeds ? Well, he says irrespective of what speed he is in, when he slots into 3rd and 4th , he faces this problem for a few seconds.
Old 5th December 2012, 01:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83

The car does not have a tachometer i believe . So, he does not know at what rpm. No the car does not fluctuate, nor does it jerk in those gears. No system g has been used. The car has so far done 35000 km and it is driven by 3 people. Off late only his dad has been using the car and he has been ignorant of this issue as he drives it only couple of times a week. My friend noticed this issue only last weekend.

Its a petrol car. Speeds ? Well, he says irrespective of what speed he is in, when he slots into 3rd and 4th , he faces this problem for a few seconds.
It does have a tacho whats the condition of the clutch ? I guess that can be checked once. Regarding the comment on speed, its a very valid question, ford ikon is pretty much dead under 2k rpm but then from what you say that might not be an issue.
Edit:
I think i understand this issue , have experienced it a long time ago in a colleague's car i recall now but really dont know what the fix was . Slight revving while upshifting only from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 th gears . Clutch is what i can vaguely recall but dont quote me on it, just not sure. Maybe others can shed some light on it.

Last edited by sammyboy : 5th December 2012 at 01:50.
Old 6th February 2014, 19:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Bumping an old thread.

My Santro Xing, done 1.22 L kms is stalling as soon as I start it unless I revv it.

I have to revv the car while start.

Got the battery changed today (earlier one had limited juice and lots of other reasons).

What could be the reason of car stall unless revved.

Anyone else faced this issue?
Old 7th February 2014, 09:09   #27
BANNED

Well ,you do need to rev it a little to make it move. It's a small petrol car ,you gotta rev it to get some juice out of it.

Take it to a mechanic ,if this is something new that you're experiencing.
Old 7th February 2014, 11:19   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Last week I opened the distributor cap and cleaned all the contact points on my car by light sanding. I noticed white powdery formation (like on the battery terminals) underside the 4 contacts for spark plug leads in the distributor caps. After cleaning, the car's throttle response has become a lot better and a smoother. In short, the crispness is back.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 09:31   #29
BHPian

Hi Team,

This is the point blank thread which I was searching for.I own a Wagon R K Series recently completed three years in this January.And hence she is now asking for help.

The engine dies after running close to 50 or 60 Kms.In the morning the engine is as good as new.But in the evening while returning from Gurgaon to Ghaziabad,
this happens near to CP-ITO stretch where the traffic is just too much to bear.

While I put the car in first gear and release the accelerator, the RPM hit below the idle and the engine dies initially I thought its normal on CNG, but even if I set the car on Petrol , same thing happens and its just too frequent , say every few meters engine dies.

I have done the below mentioned troubleshooting/preventive measures but the problem remains.
1.Changed the spark plugs with gap set.
2.Changed the engine oil , coolant , oil filter, air filter.
3.Cleaned the throttle body

I also went to Maruti service centre, as usual , they told me to separate the CNG wiring and run the car on petrol for two to three days.If the problem still persists, then I shall come to them and then they will try diagnosing the issue.

Please advice.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 27th February 2014, 19:11   #30
BHPian

Hi,

Request to Mods, to please transfer this to appropriate thread of any.

As per the discussions on the forum related to this topic, I went to Maruti Suzuki Fast Track, Sahibabad.Requested them to look in to the issue.But, it was really sad to see their attitude towards the cars with outside fitted CNG kit.

They were blunt enough to advice me to remove the CNG wiring and after that handover the car to them for the diagnostics.It was really hard to decide upon such sorry state of my car.I went to Batra Motors Sahibabad to get the witing removed.Again, I felt the unwanted person out there.It was a feeling of an unwanted step child at this workshop.He attended my car after 30 mins and repeated requests. May be he dint want to touch the wiring and wanted to play the game of the ball throw between Maruti , me & himself.He just callously ask his workshop boy to attend my car and check the TPS wire.
He just checked three wires, removed the existing tape and again twisted the wires and retaped it.That was it from his side.He smilingly told me that the car is ok now and now I can get it checked at Motorcraft Vaishali for tappet adjustment since my car has already covered 62000 kms.

Again, frustrated enough the extent of selling my car, as a last chance trial I went to Mehar Automobiles another Maruti service station at Mohan Nagar, told them the whole story.They agreed to get the car CNG wiring removed at one of their reference Garage in the vicinity.I paid them INR 300 for this task.

I also told Mehar Auto to get the injectors and the throttle body cleaned.I confirmed from Fast Track that the injectors were never cleaned since I started going to them for car servicing.I was feeling a bit cheated but accepted it and decided to say good by to Fast Track till the time this issue is resolved.As an advice Mehar Auto told me to run the car for two to three days more and return if the issue remains since now my car is only petrol driven, to which I agreed.

Total payment for the CNG wiring removal,throttle body cleaning & Injector cleaning was INR 1600.Now tomorrow I will be taking the car from Mohan Nagar to Gurgaon and from there to Chandigarh & will be back on Sunday late night.Keeping my fingers crossed till then.

I have checked for the new CNG wiring kit and the ECM unit and its coming to ( 2200 + 7000 ).I am ready to pay that also provided I get the car up and running trouble free.

Till now I have done the following tasks on the Car to resolve the stalling issue.

1.Throttle Body cleaning twice.
2.Injectors cleaning.
3.Engine Oil change.
4.Coolant change.
5.Radiator & AC Condenser cleaned.
6.Spark Plug changed.
7.Oil & Air Filter changed.
8.Clutch overhauled.
9.CNG wiring removed.

Approx damage INR 14000+.

If everythig else fails then next Steps:

1.CNG wiring change.
2.Timing advancer Change.
3. CNG kit ECM change.

If still the same issue , will sell the Car .

I will update on Sunday the total experience after returning from Chandigarh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks