Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2006, 11:43   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well only where Euro-III is mandatory, or was it Euro-II
I remember reading somewhere that companies have to provide at least 91 octane fuel to metros to meet emission norms.
You are right. It is Euro-III.
Old 27th November 2006, 13:10   #17
BHPian

so if the reg one is 91 octane, for cars like swift, that should be fine, right? instd of gettin into premium etc, esp in bangalore where fuel is so so so expensive

Cheers
Ajay
Old 27th November 2006, 18:29   #18
BHPian

regular unleaded - 87 octane
speed - 91
extra premium - 91

I read somewhere that "oil companies are marketing the euro-iii fuels" in metros --> to comply euro-iii, you need better fuel such as octan-91 rating.
Old 27th November 2006, 19:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

OK, so I asked the attendant at the BPCL fuel station I usually tank up at, what octane rating Speed was rated at and he said, "Saaar it's 97 octane", when I told him he was talking about Speed 97. Then he told me that Speed was 93 Octane and Regular unleaded was 87 octane.

I think that Speed is actually 93 octane, while Regular would be 91 octane since the switch to BS-III norms, in major cities. I just don't think the guys at fuel stations have updated themselves since last year, before the BS-III norms when regular was actually 87 Octane. Unless it is still 87 Octane, in which case it's a major violation of fuel norms for BS-III.
Old 27th November 2006, 20:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, N_C is correct:
Regular - 87/88 octane adulterated to 85-86 (that is why most car mfrs detune their engines)
Speed and Power both 87 with additives
Speed 93 or 97 is what it says - 93 or 97 octane
IOC xtra prem91 is also what it says 91 octane.

Why doesn't ACI/OD get the stuff tested in a lab.? Or maybe T-BHP can apply under RTI Act?

In any case 90% of petrol is in any case adulterated with naphtha and you get 3-5 octane lower. That is why there are such long queues at Reliance pumps (almost all people I know reported better performance/FE).
Old 28th November 2006, 02:33   #21
Team-BHP Support

FYI,

See this post

cya
R
Old 29th November 2006, 17:00   #22
BHPian

BSIII means 91.

Indian Oil Corporation :: Products_Gasoline

unless i've misinterpreted...

Cheers
Ajay
Old 29th November 2006, 19:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
BSIII means 91.

Indian Oil Corporation :: Products_Gasoline

unless i've misinterpreted...

Cheers
Ajay
But there is a clear difference in density between xtra-premium 91 and normal. I also believe that while BSIII was implemented in metros since April 2006, the supply of petrol of BSIII has not kept pace (except perhaps for Reliance - but then they are not selling in metros). Maybe we can fire off an e-mail to IOC/BPCL/HPCL and see the response?
Old 2nd December 2006, 20:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

I had contacted Shell and I got reply from them, this is what they say:

======

Dear Sir,

Shell Super and Shell regular petrol contain shell proprietry additives that enhance engine performance and keep it clean. Both the grades of petrol are 91 Octane. For most of the Indian cars and 2 wheelers except very few high end imported fuel, 91 Octane is appropriate.
To get the best results, I recommend thar you consistently use Shell Super petrol.

Regards,
Shell Team
=======

So its good that shell normal petrol is also octane 91.

===

Ravi.
Old 4th December 2006, 14:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
OK, so I asked the attendant at the BPCL fuel station I usually tank up at, what octane rating Speed was rated at and he said, "Saaar it's 97 octane", when I told him he was talking about Speed 97. Then he told me that Speed was 93 Octane and Regular unleaded was 87 octane.

I think that Speed is actually 93 octane, while Regular would be 91 octane since the switch to BS-III norms, in major cities. I just don't think the guys at fuel stations have updated themselves since last year, before the BS-III norms when regular was actually 87 Octane. Unless it is still 87 Octane, in which case it's a major violation of fuel norms for BS-III.

I stick to the point where I say that there is nothing called SPEED 93, if anyone has ever seen a bunk stating SPEED 93 and SPEED 97?

The fact is that Speed 97 is a 93 Octance fuel. Its just a name.
Old 4th December 2006, 14:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
I stick to the point where I say that there is nothing called SPEED 93, if anyone has ever seen a bunk stating SPEED 93 and SPEED 97?
What exactly is the point that you're trying to make here?? Earlier there was a fuel called Speed 93 which has been since then upgraded to Speed 97.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
The fact is that Speed 97 is a 93 Octance fuel. Its just a name.
No, as far as I know Speed 97 is actually 97 Octane not 93.
Old 4th December 2006, 14:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Boss, Speed 97 is 97 Octane, there never was any dispute there. Why else would they call Speed 97, 97? The fact that it is available at such a few number of fuel stations, is only testimony to that. As I have stated endless times, there once was Speed 93, but they saw inadequate sales for an intermediary octane rating, and hence the brand was done away with.

The only dispute is as to what the octane ratings of the fuels in the Regular and Speed/Power fuels are. Hasn't anybody found anything concrete yet? Didn't ACI or somebody do a huge test on fuels available, though I think it was in the pre-BSIII era? Don't BPCL and HPCL types have a Customer Care number?
Old 4th December 2006, 14:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
What exactly is the point that you're trying to make here?? Earlier there was a fuel called Speed 93 which has been since then upgraded to Speed 97.

No, as far as I know Speed 97 is actually 97 Octane not 93.
Aah.. so then these fuel pump people are useless who know nothing.. I have been getting Speed 97 all this while and I was told its 93 octane

Thanks guys, I'll see what better information I can gather at my end for the regular fuel types.
Old 15th December 2006, 18:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

They took their time, but eventually came through. BPCL replied as follows:
" Dear Priyank

The Feedback posted by you with Ticket No F000005669 has been replied.

Dear Sir,
Thanks for writing to us, the OCTANE RATING of REGULAR PETROL and SPEED is 91 AND SPEED97 is 97.
Our DyMgrSales will get in touch with you shortly and will give you all the details.

REGARDS

Thankyou for your participation.
Web Administrator

Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited: Among the most remarkable names in the petroleum industry "

And so, I was right in saying that all EURO-III cities have minimum of 91 Octane. This will not apply for non EURO-III cities where minimum will be 87 Octane.

Summary:
Regular: 91 Octane.
BPCL Speed/HP Power/IOC Xtra Premium: 91 Octane plus additives.
Speed 97: 97 Octane.
Old 16th December 2006, 00:47   #30
BHPian

Mileage!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post

Summary:
Regular: 91 Octane.
BPCL Speed/HP Power/IOC Xtra Premium: 91 Octane plus additives.
Speed 97: 97 Octane.
I filled Speed(91) for the first time in Corolla. Till now I used to fill Shell super petrol. I don't know if its a coincidence but I got a 9.5 km/l as opposed to 10.5 kmpl for the first time!!
I am going back to Shell (All in city of course with AC on and during work hour traffic).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks