Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2017, 12:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car

To all my Bhpians inside and fellow enthusiasts outside this forum,

I'm sure there are many out there, who are always wanting to learn about engines and other related parts supporting the smooth functioning of these man-made marvels. My main motive behind starting this thread is to have a one-stop library for automotive enthusiasts to refer to the topic they are intending to explore and understand. I have always seen TBHP as the bible for automotive enthusiasts and it should grow up more to be that very bible with complete information on any automobile related concerns. But online tutorials did come handy in few basic understanding of these machines but somewhere it didn't really suffice for an enthusiast who wanted to learn in the simplest way possible.

Background:

I always grew up wanting to be an automobile engineer but destiny had something else planned for me, so I ended up in an investment banking firm. But my desire to learn more about bikes, cars never died at any point in time but had difficulties in understanding mathematics, physics and chemistry that fusions and goes in making these marvels come alive.

What is my intention now?

I was just going through various forums, but it was a tad difficult to get the information together. Hence, the thought of just opening up a thread for all the pioneers, petrol heads in this field by profession or passion to drop in their thoughts on the self learning tutorial on automotive topics to speak about various topics so that it helps all the newbies to refer to this topic and understand the basics before they get their hands-on with their dream machines.

For now, I have managed to get video or theoretical representation sourced directly from YouTube for AV and various other online guides for theoretical explanation on few of the topics I could think of and request others to contribute by dropping in the referral links to go through in understanding important topics around engines, brakes, ECU, turbos, cooling systems, transmission and any other important topics I may have missed.

Disclaimer:

This attempt at creating a guide is to just consolidate and use them for reference for basic understanding. This will not make anyone an expert just by going through them instantly. This is to form a foundation for the ideas to learn about the machines and their working mechanism.

Topic 1:

Petrol vs Diesel Engines -

Basic understanding on the working process of 2 different genres of internal combustion engines:

In continuation of the above topic;

Working of a Diesel engine:

Part1: Four Stroke Combustion cycle

Part2: Stages of Combustion

Part3: Valve Timing Diagram

Working of a Petrol (Gasoline) Engine:

In the above video for Petrol, they have taken Toyota engines as a classic example.

Topic 2:

How a turbocharger works;

Difference between supercharger and turbocharger:

Topic 3:

How car cooling system works;

Topic 4:

How car exhaust system works;

Use of oxygen sensor:

Topic 5:
Working mechanism of car brakes;

Disc brakes:

Drum brakes:

Topic 6:

How a clutch works:

Transmission system mechanism:

Manual transmission:

Automatic transmission:
Comparo between Automatic & Manual Transmission:

World of automatics:

Torque converter unit:
CVTunit:

Topic 7:

Understanding of ECU:

Topic 8:

This is one main topic which everyone thinks Torque and BHP are used interchangeably. For basic understanding, you can refer to the link below from the books of our own TBHP library - to be frank is the most complicated topic for anyone outside science background like me!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ue-vs-bhp.html

Graphical representation link is as below;

I always compare trucks and cars just in line comparo with Torque vs BHP. Trucks have more torque to pull the load but do not require BHP to run faster. Similarly cars do not require higher torque, but requires BHP to run faster like we always desire.

Torque - required to pull the load
BHP or Power - required to take the load forward at particular rate/speed to reach destination faster. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Note:
No personal inputs from my side on the graphical representations you see above as these are direct pick and drops from the respective links. Experienced lads can add-on to these topics by giving their explanation in layman terms for anyone and everyone to understand.

My take is that you don't give up until you understand. Keep attempting and one day you will find the missing puzzles coming together - I'm doing the same thing since the start

Credits:

To the wonderful heads on these respective referral links who's taken so much time and has been investing their minds and thoughts in bringing out these videos with an intent to keep it minimal for viewers to understand it in layman terms.

Last edited by gururajrv : 28th October 2017 at 12:58.
gururajrv is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 08:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Technical Stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Old 28th February 2020, 08:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car

This Maruti 800 Is The Cheapest EV Conversion Ever Seen

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 17:08   #5
BHPian

I have recently found myself spending time on a mechanic simulator app. Initially thought I will start a new thread. But then luckily found this one, so posting here.

@Mods - please assist in moving this post to the right place.

The use-case for a car mechanic simulator
If you are like me, then you would love cars, but have limited understanding of what is under the hood and how does it all come together.
I feel it is easier to understand bikes because everything is practically in front of your eyes - the engines, cables, suspension and all other paraphernalia.
On the other hand, cars are a different phenomena altogether. You are visually (for more part) insulated from the internals - engine, filters, chassis, suspensions, exhaust and what not. So unless you plan to dis-assemble your car, there is very little chance of knowing how things underneath are placed and connected. Usually I watch youtube videos to know how car components work but that is usually the second step. The first step is to actually understand the list of important components that are under the hood.

For majority of the Bhpians, this would be common knowledge. But for someone like me with no automotive background, I found that a car mechanic simulator is a good place to start and peel the internals of a car like an onion.

Let us take example of a mechanic simulator do understand how it actually works
The app I have been using since the last few days for this purpose is called - Car Mechanic Simulator 18. Pretty innovative name I must add . So this is how it works:
  1. The developers have built this simulator in the form of a game where the player takes the role of a mechanic.
  2. The player needs to buy old cars and then repair the bad parts before selling them off.
  3. During repair, the player has to dis-assemble the bad parts, and swap them with new ones. The process to dis-assemble and assemble tries to simulate a real life scenario. Example - if you want to replace the brake disc rotor, you will first need to dis-assemble the caliper and the pads.
  4. The player sells these repaired cars and earns money.
  5. As in real life, more money means ability to buy advanced cars and upgraded toolkits which can be used to accomplish complex repair jobs.

Review of the app:
  1. The good - Stunning details about mechanicals of a car. Gives you a 360 degree view of how a naked car looks like. Brought the child out in me. You can zoom in and focus on details like something I haven't seen before. I have left some screenshots below.
  2. The bad - Repair jobs are focussed primarily on mechanicals. Haven't seen anything related to electricals till now. Also the initial few cars are 70s technology. Maybe there will be more advanced cars later in the game but I haven't reached those levels yet.
  3. The ugly - App has no real life cars (maybe to save on copyright and royalty money). Limited cosmetic updates allowed as this is more of repair simulator. Do not expect to pimp your ride like you typically do on a PlayStation game.

Disclaimer: I am in now way connected to the simulator app mentioned above. I found it on the PlayStore based on user reviews. So exercise discretion and find something that suits you best.
Attached Thumbnails
Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200605222641.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200605222907.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200605224828.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200605224909.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200606002134.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200606002154.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200606005420.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200606010558.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200606011753.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200606121108.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200606122159.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200606122218.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200606121641.png  

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-screenshot_20200606011047.png  

Last edited by warrioraks : 6th June 2020 at 17:25.
warrioraks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 11:12   #6
BHPian

Excellent topic. We could also open a recommended videos section (for almost every topic), Cooking, Gardening, Repair,... It would be a directory of the best videos.

These days I find the most useful information on any topic on YouTube and search YouTube first. Because most videos tend to be short, they are nuggets of information. Hopefully it's rising popularity and monetization pressures will not turn it into another spam filled cesspool.

Good recommendations will help us avoid misinformation and spam.

Last edited by mvadg : 7th June 2020 at 11:15.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 22:46   #7
BHPian

Easy to understand Auto fundamentals - Videos or write-ups

In the current situation, Youtube has been a big cope-up mechanism. With its limitless content on every conceivable topic, one will never run out of content to watch. For auto enthusiasts, that a big plus. Sometime earlier, I was recommended watching following videos and I realized, despite those being dated, they explained the fundamentals so well it was amazing. Yes, further developments have happened on these but the basic premise is same.

That said, this thread is for others to post similar content which make it easy for the common man to understand what's happening under the hood - As simply as possible. For example, AirCon, Power steering etc.

Mods - please merge if similar thread exists, did not find one though.
mmxylorider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 22:47   #8
BHPian

This is a video explaining how the Toyota HSD works. Quite innovative in its reasoning.

and this one is even better

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th September 2020 at 08:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks!
Old 1st July 2021, 21:35   #9
BHPian

So how does a carburettor work?

A little late given in few years we all will be moving to electrics and now with BS6 already moved to FI, but it's really fascinating to know how actually a carburettor works. Although I had some basic understanding the carb always seemed to be a complex piece of mechanical wizadry. However as you will see in the video below by Smartereveryday it's really a simple concept. Enjoy!

rascalangel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 15:43   #10
BHPian

What part of engine is this?

This is a hollow open tube and I was wondering what is the function of this part? There is no filter or mesh attached to the opening. The other small tube connected to it is not open.

Videos: Understanding the technical basics of a car-a554d0e507e44cc0aea571450eae0570.jpeg
Old 13th August 2022, 17:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: What part of engine is this?

That's the engine air intake, your air filter would sit in the large box its going into.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks