Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 21:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Frighteningly Fiat! Problem with Uno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
I know one guy in TASS who is very good at his job and is also very helpful guy, He is with Malik motors. If you need help then let me know.
Thank you Gadgetfreak, I haven't used it for over a month now and seriously thinking to sell it off. Do you think I should give a last try before I sell it off for a paltry price as I am sure I might not get more than 25 k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Having had a FIAT Uno 1.2ELX for 10+ years, I think I can call myself knowing a thing or two about Uno. Why don't you tell me in detail about what's wrong with the car and what model it is.

Cheers
Thank you Mile cruncher, the list goes like this.

Model : 1.2 ELX (Dec 1999)

Purchase : Jan 2011 from my friend (me 3rd owner). Odometer not freezed at 74 k but not sure since how many months it hasn't been working. Friend says it used to work fine. Came with 4 set of new tyres.

Problem No. 1 : Coolant spurts out whenever the radiator fan goes on. Coolant doesn't spill when the a/c is on. Since the coolant was leaking anyways I filled up the tank with water and took it to Digamani motors at Tarnaka.

Problem No. 2 : Car stalls all of sudden while running. Most of the times it starts immediately within 2 to 3 cranks but sometimes takes about 5 to 10 minutes. While cranking I sometimes smell petrol. Sometimes I used to park the car aside and come back after 2 to 3 hours and it used to start in one crank. One pattern that I have noticed here is this happens only when the fuel warning lamp is on which means the petrol level is between 4 to 5 litres. Could be a problem with fuel supply ?

Explained the problems in detail to Mr.Iyer, proprietor of Digamani motors who seems to have fair knowledge on FIAT cars. I was out of station for 4 days and used to enquire about the car's status regularly. The total bill was around 8 K which included a new brake booster, engine tuning, engine oil and other lubricants. Noticed after reaching home that coolant problem still not resolved and couple of days later the stalling issue also popped up. Called up Mr.Iyer who sounded surprised after he heard my tone. Was claiming he and his team has used it extensively to observe the problem and nothing as such arouse during that course. I demanded him to collect the vehicle and rectify the problem. Not happened since that date even after constant follow ups.

Now should I repair this car and what would be the estimate charges If I wish to. Also please advise if it is worthy to spend money on this one any more as I have lost complete peace of mind.
Old 25th June 2012, 16:31   #17
BHPian

@gadgetfreak/Milecruncher : Eagerly waiting for your advise
Old 25th June 2012, 18:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Abhi only solution I can provide is providing you the number of TATA workshop manager who can inspect your vehicle and provide a solution if possible.
Old 27th June 2012, 17:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you Mile cruncher, the list goes like this.

Model : 1.2 ELX (Dec 1999)
Good, its the same model as mine. Mine was May 2000. Thankfully, I learnt a few things about this car.

Now based on the problems with the car, I can only suggest a few things which you'll need to do one by one. And yourself. No mechanic is going to take the pains of doing it for you behind your back.
Quote:

Problem No. 1 : Coolant spurts out whenever the radiator fan goes on. Coolant doesn't spill when the a/c is on. Since the coolant was leaking anyways I filled up the tank with water and took it to Digamani motors at Tarnaka.
Strange as the AC and the radiator fan are one and the same. Unless offcourse the previous owner added a separate fan in the front for AC condenser coil. Ideally when the fan runs, the coolant temperature should come down and hence it shouldn't be boiling. However in your case looks like that fan is not helping in anyway in bringing the temperature down for the coolant. I would suggest checking the following:
  1. Start the car and turn on the A/C in 10 mins the temp needle should go to the middle which is when the radiator fan should start. Check whether the radiator fan turns on with the AC or not. Also at what point in the temp gauge does the radiator fan start. Check what is the coolant status when both the fans are running.
  2. I have a suspicion either radiator tank cap is leaking or the thermostat is stuck. While at it check if the flow is proper through radiator and if the water pump is working properly.
I think with the above you should be able to narrow down to the culprit part.
Quote:
Problem No. 2 : Car stalls all of sudden while running. Most of the times it starts immediately within 2 to 3 cranks but sometimes takes about 5 to 10 minutes. While cranking I sometimes smell petrol. Sometimes I used to park the car aside and come back after 2 to 3 hours and it used to start in one crank. One pattern that I have noticed here is this happens only when the fuel warning lamp is on which means the petrol level is between 4 to 5 litres. Could be a problem with fuel supply ?
This is definitely a problem with fuel supply especially may be an air lock happening in the supply. Check the return line from the evaporator (or something like that ) which is square box located on the front left on the timing belt side. Also check the fuel filter. Open the hose going from the filter to the throttle body and see if the fuel is going or not. If fuel is going from here, you should check the throttle body for debris.

Also check the return/onward pipeline for cracks from where it could be taking in air.

Quote:

Now should I repair this car and what would be the estimate charges If I wish to. Also please advise if it is worthy to spend money on this one any more as I have lost complete peace of mind.
Can say about the price or whether you should repair as to each his/her own. However let me tell you that I had my Uno for 9 years with 1.2L on the clock and the car used to still do 3rd gear hundreds and hold its line on the apex. I absolutely adored the vehicle for what it could do.

Anyways, all the best for your project. Its your call now.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 18:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
please check whether the coolant is actually completing the flow cycle, from the radiator into the engine and then back into the radiator. sometimes the expansion valve is stuck (it can happen all of a sudden) which prevents the this cycle of coolant flow and hence the radiator fan does not come ON at the right time and coolant starts boiling and spilling out; even if radiator fan comes ON in these cases, it would not cool down the coolant because of obvious reasons.
when engine warmed up, touch the rubber pipes (one going radiator into expansion valave, and other coming out of engine to radiator) and if the one coming out of engine into radiator feels cold but the other one is hot, it is the problem with flow of coolant (expansion valve, or water pump).
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 18:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Problem No. 2 : Car stalls all of sudden while running. Most of the times it starts immediately within 2 to 3 cranks but sometimes takes about 5 to 10 minutes. While cranking I sometimes smell petrol. Sometimes I used to park the car aside and come back after 2 to 3 hours and it used to start in one crank.
Have you put the diagnostic tool on the car?
Point 2: I know what the issue is and happened to another 1.2 Sienna which was not rectifyable for almost 1.5 years and finally the issue was resolved. Are you facing the issue when the tank has more than 10 lts of petrol?

Regards,
Vijay
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 19:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Problem No. 2 : Car stalls all of sudden while running. :
I used to own a Fiat Uno 1997 model which I sold off in 2005.
The car had only this ONE issue which made me really irritated of this car.

It would simply shutdown at random, at times even while running.
While it was in warranty, I showed it to multiple dealers who replaced a part each time to try and shortlist the problem. This went on for about two years plus after purchase. One fine day, a cousin of mine, who had absolutely no knowledge of any car, was peeping in the bonnet when I was wondering what to do, He noticed a plug slightly loose (located just in front of the carb.) and he pressed it in. Can you believe it that was the solution.

This plug basically was a link between 2 wires, So I guess, since it was slightly loose, every time it would lose contact/connection, the car would stall/stop.

just FYI, so make sure all sockets/plugs/wires are fixed tight first.
FlyinLow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 19:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Dear BHPians,

Am a new member here and am happy to find this sort of a forum where we can all air our views (and hopefully avoid getting a raw deal at the hands of dealerships). I need help with the following situation:

I own a Fiat Uno which I had purchased in November 1997. It has been sparingly used and has done 26,000 Kms only. Regularly serviced by the fiat authorised dealers. Had not given me significant trouble till last year, when the car started stalling at idle, especially at traffic signals and slow traffic. Thought it was a tune-up issue and gave it to a Tata-Fiat dealership at Powai. They tuned the car and replaced the spark plugs. However, the fiat tie-up had just taken place and I was unsure about their expertise with the Uno. The stalling problem still existed and I then spoke to Anuroop Auto, the authorised fiat dealer. Took the car to them, they said the repairs would cost me 6 grand. I was slightly unhappy about the inconsiderate attitude of the sales people there. To be sure if anuroop is the right guy to give my car to, I sent a mail to Fiat India and spoke to their service rep. a guy called Mangesh. He said anuroop was the best available and since it was the Uno, I should give it to them. I spoke to their service manager and gave the car to them. That's when all my troubles began. They changed the carburettor Kit, tuned the engine and replaced some plate in the distributor as well as the ignition module that rests on the distributor. The car seemed fine until next day, it just would'nt start at a long signal after I had switched it off. It would keep cranking but not start!! Took the car back to them, they said they would check it, kept that car for 3 days, claimed to have taken the trials and said it was fine. But they replaced the spark plugs again (dunno why when the tata guys had done it just a month back and I had told Anuroop so) anyway, I paid them for the plugs and took the car back. The same problem has resurfaced and now the car just doesn't start. I spoke to the person at Fiat India and at Anurrop and they said it could be a bad carburetor. My point is:

1. If this is so, why did anuroop not detect it / tell me when they did the whole tune up
2. Now, what is the guarantee that they will do a decent job, looks to me like they don't understand the car
3. Who should pay the 700 buck towing charge that I now have to incur to take the car to them??

I have lost my faith in the anuroop guys. I have a couple of questions

1. Should I take the car to some local mechanic?
2. If it is indeed the carb. (only after 26,000 kms?), will the Tata Fiat dealership be competent to help me
3. What should I do to get my car on it's feet (and do you guys think I should now sell this as soon as possible?)

Look forward to your suggestions!!
Hi,Dear if you are in Mumbai pls tryout this guy named rajendra...09867328533,he is OK with palios but he must be good at your car too.Actually this car was in the market for a very short while thats why local mechnics are not very familiar with it.

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 27th June 2012 at 19:44.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi,Dear if you are in Mumbai pls tryout this guy named rajendra...09867328533,he is OK with palios but he must be good at your car too.,
Dear Sir, that was a 2006 post! I'm sure the owner would have found the solution by now. Its even possible that he might have sold off his car.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 19:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I just wanted to check if the stalling problem also occurs when you have a full tank of fuel.

Also, are you still looking at having the vehicle fixed or is it fixed already? I may be able to hook you up with a mechanic to work on it.
Old 4th July 2012, 18:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

I think with the above you should be able to narrow down to the culprit part.
Also check the return/onward pipeline for cracks from where it could be taking in air.
I absolutely adored the vehicle for what it could do.
I checked and found only one fan. Followed the steps, radiator fan turns on with the AC. The fan starts when the needle is close to half way mark. I think the water pump or thermostat could be the culprits based on your points.
I am technically challenged in identifying the components you pointed for the stalling problem. I have no choice but get the problems checked through a mechanic
Fellow bhpian K_Nitin_r is offering help with a trust worthy mechanic. Hope this gets resolved. Thank you so much for your time in explaining the things in detail. Really appreciate it. I will update you once the job is done.

Hearty thanks Sirji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I just wanted to check if the stalling problem also occurs when you have a full tank of fuel.

Also, are you still looking at having the vehicle fixed or is it fixed already? I may be able to hook you up with a mechanic to work on it.
The problem strikes only when the 'low fuel' warning lamp is on. Request you to share the mechanic details, I will get the car checked this weekend. Thanks in advance buddy.
Old 4th July 2012, 18:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fellow bhpian K_Nitin_r is offering help with a trust worthy mechanic. Hope this gets resolved. Thank you so much for your time in explaining the things in detail. Really appreciate it. I will update you once the job is done.
You can try STAG Motors in lower tank bund next to Vaartha Press. This is where I used to get my Uno fixed. The main guy is Jagan and you can contact him on 9246371526/36

Quote:
The problem strikes only when the 'low fuel' warning lamp is on. Request you to share the mechanic details, I will get the car checked this weekend. Thanks in advance buddy.
This could be then the Fuel Pump is sucking in air. Two issues could be there. One is the FP is not creating enough suction pressure. Another issue could be that the placement is such that section where FP is located in the tank is the first to get dry.

It could also be that the tank has had a hit and hence is creating artificial dry area for the FP.
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 20:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I have no choice but get the problems checked through a mechanic
Hi!

I couldn't find this thread as the forum search doesn't return this thread in the search results for Fiat Uno.

If you're still looking for a mechanic, there's one close to Care Hospital - go all the way toward the flyover, take a U-turn and take the first left turn. The last mechanic on the right has always done a good job when I went to him in the past.

There's another mechanic opp. the ABN TV office in Jubilee Hills close to Apollo Hospital and next to the parking lot. If you want me to, I can follow-up with the guy every morning when I head out because it's along my daily route.
Old 6th July 2012, 17:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Hi!

If you're still looking for a mechanic, there's one close to Care Hospital - go all the way toward the flyover, take a U-turn and take the first left turn. The last mechanic on the right has always done a good job when I went to him in the past.
There's another mechanic opp. the ABN TV office in Jubilee Hills close to Apollo Hospital and next to the parking lot.
Thank you for the info buddy. I am thinking to first meet up all these guys and explain them the problem instead of driving all the way. I will give the car to the one who understands the problem and is willing to repair the car. This will also avoid straining/overheating the engine during the drive if it proves out to me un-successful. What say ?
Old 12th July 2012, 22:24   #30
BHPian

Just bumped into this thread while trying to get advice if I should be buying a 1995 Uno which is offered at 35k in Bangalore. It is a petrol car. I'm yet to examine the car and also was wondering if the production started only in 1996. Please shed some light.

@Abhi and other Uno users: Could you please suggest if I should be buying it in the first place, and if yes, what are the most important things that need to be checked in an Uno before buying it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks