Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 09:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Frighteningly Fiat! Problem with Uno

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsPwr View Post
Just bumped into this thread while trying to get advice if I should be buying a 1995 Uno which is offered at 35k in Bangalore. It is a petrol car. I'm yet to examine the car and also was wondering if the production started only in 1996. Please shed some light.

@Abhi and other Uno users: Could you please suggest if I should be buying it in the first place, and if yes, what are the most important things that need to be checked in an Uno before buying it.
First things first. 35K for 1995 car is way way too much. Offer 20-25K at the most. Also check if the tax has been paid again after 15 years.

Cheers
Old 13th July 2012, 16:35   #32
BHPian

Just to get the buyer's perspective right. I sold my 1997 UNO in 2005 for Rs. 34000, way below Market rate bcos it was very irritating when the car started giving problems of stalling enroute and I was bored with it. So I don't see a buyer paying 35000 in 2012.

The car is old and bound to give multiple problems and may not be worth even giving 20k and take the burden on your head. My 2 bits.

Standard issues with this car, stalling, car engine getting hot, AC failures, rubber insulations around the door easily coming off, windows jamming, etc.
FlyinLow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 21:15   #33
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your responses people. While I do understand that it is a big risk in buying a Uno, I somehow fell in love for the only time I drove it. I felt like driving a very heavy car with lot of power. But, I think I will stay away from Uno, maybe its too late.
Old 15th July 2012, 18:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsPwr View Post
@Abhi and other Uno users: Could you please suggest if I should be buying it in the first place, and if yes, what are the most important things that need to be checked in an Uno before buying it.
Sorry for the delay, got busy with our local festival here in Hyderabad.

I don't want to confuse your with my response buddy hence will keep it crisp and clear.

Good:
This is a wonderful car !!! You will have to drive it to feel it, feels like you are sitting inside a tank because of it's tough built quality. Tons of cabin space, huge legroom. 5 people can easily sit, no elbow fights. Engine is smooth and responsive. Decent fuel efficiency, my car gives me 12 to 13 in city traffic (without A/c) and returns 17 to 18 on highways. No rattling sounds. Smooth drive and gives you perfect control on road.

Bad:
Low ground clearance, got to be extra careful while moving over speed breakers. Almost non-existent service network. Very difficult to find a trustworthy mechanic. Most of them just wash their hands by doing a general service but very few know how to diagnose the issue. Finding the spares is a herculian task. It took one month and extensive running around shops just to find a new coolant tank cap

My heart would say go ahead and buy this car but my mind would say please stay away. If you know some one who can help you in finding the spares and if you can catch hold of a nice mechanic, please go ahead. But if you are not ready to wait for spares please don't buy it.

Good luck.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 22:31   #35
BHPian

In my earlier post didn't mention the good points of the car.

It's solid built, extremely spacious, felt secure while driving, comfortable driving position, even comfy at the rear and it was full value for money.

If you are not looking at spending a lot and wish to own your first car then maybe one can consider UNO however be ready to expect to blow more on repairs. If the car is still problem free then go for it else a car from the Maruti/ Hyundai stable would be recommended since it can be repaired even by the roadside mechanic and spare parts should not be a problem.

Do let us know your decision.
Old 16th July 2012, 21:35   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Sorry for the delay, got busy with our local festival here in Hyderabad.
Thanks a lot for the reply bro. I opted to stay away. Though I loved the car, I somehow was reluctant because any car will give you at least some kind of trouble, and having it in the garage due to inavailibility of spares is what I hate
Old 17th September 2012, 12:44   #37
BHPian

Well, after one and half year of painful ownership I have disposed off my Fiat Uno. Took it to a mechanic to fix the stalling and coolant spilling issue who quoted 15 K for repairs. Sold it to a used car dealer for 20 K. Bunch of rats chewed up entire wiring and following day the dealer came to collect the car. Luckily it started

Wanted to give it to charity but it will only be a burden rather than helping them out.

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 17th September 2012 at 12:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks