Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2018, 10:53   #1
BHPian

ABS light comes on, car stalls on the move, refuses to start

I have an i20 AT 2010 model, till last year no issues in the vehicle.

Recently the ABS and Brake lights go on/off randomly. I reported it to Hyundai, they checked and said we don't see any alerts. If the light goes on, the computer inside the car would have a track of it, but they don't see it. Since it was a random problem, I couldn't show them when it happened.

A few months ago, along with the lights, the car would suddenly stop with no power for a second and come back on its own. I can feel the jerk at 80 KMPH. Sometimes it completely stops and refuses to start for a while, and then will start again.

I showed it to Hyundai and again, they were not able to trace and find the root cause. My regular service guy (not Hyundai dealer/service) told me over the phone that there could be a shortage or loose connection. Couple of days ago, I was driving at 80 KMPH and the power went off for a second over a slope again!! Bit scary with family.

I don't see anybody reporting this behavior @ team-bhp, but could see similar threads on different models of Hyundai on other sites.

I would like to fix it, but unless I can consistently reproduce it, I don't think Hyundai or anybody else can successfully trace it.

On another incident, the ABS light went on for a moment and the car's brakes weren't good. I have pressed the brake pedal all the way to make it stop and it took a few seconds. After 15-20 mins, the brake started working again in the usual way - just a light push will make the car stop.

Not sure if its a known issue or an aging problem. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2018 at 09:36. Reason: Poor language & grammar
carbhp is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 4th January 2018, 12:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: ABS light comes on, car stalls on the move, refuses to start

Actually, that could well be the cause. Especially as no error codes appear to be showing up. So a good inspection and clean up of all relevant connectors and checking the wiring for any chaffing might help. The other thing could be the battery. Modern cars can be very finicky when it comes to voltage. Any problems with the main voltage supply you can find yourself with all sorts of impossible to troubleshoot issues. So check the battery and also check the main terminals and connections for corrosion.

Good luck,

Jeroen

It sounds

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2018 at 09:37. Reason: Removing quoted post that has been edited
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 19:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: ABS light comes on, car stalls on the move, refuses to start

Check the battery cables, I had similar issues in my i10 AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Got my scheduled paid service done a few days back. The odo reads somewhere around 35K kms.

Total cost for the service came to around 3.5K for labour, consumables, engine tuning & changing of a battery cable (I was experiencing a strange phenomenon where all the electricals, including light and stereo was stopping momentarily and again getting back on - all while driving - scary!)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3310293

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2018 at 09:37. Reason: Removing quoted post that has been edited
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 12:32   #4
BHPian

Re: ABS light comes on, car stalls on the move, refuses to start

Service Guy not able to re-produce it, but said checked all the wires, connectors, etc.,

Hopefully it won't happen again.
Old 9th January 2018, 14:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
Service Guy not able to re-produce it, but said checked all the wires, connectors, etc.,

Hopefully it won't happen again.
These sort of spurious/intermittent issues can be very difficult to trace. If it was due to wonkey/dirty wiring/connectors it might have been solved. Disconnecting and reconnecting a connector will also clean it.

Good luck and let's hope it stays away!

Jeroen
Old 9th January 2018, 14:26   #6
BHPian

I once had a similar problem with my i-10 about 10 years ago. Was caused by sulphation of the battery since the car was not being run for long enough for the alternator to charge the battery. Once I replaced the battery, the problem was resolved.

When was your battery last changed?
Old 18th January 2018, 01:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
I once had a similar problem with my i-10 about 10 years ago. Was caused by sulphation of the battery since the car was not being run for long enough for the alternator to charge the battery. Once I replaced the battery, the problem was resolved.

When was your battery last changed?
I think it was 2 years ago. Service guy said he checked all of them. I didn't have the power off issue in the past 500 KM drive. Hope it won't happen again.

Anyways, thanks, I will keep that in mind.
Old 18th January 2018, 01:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post

I was driving at 80 KMPH and the power went off for a second over a slope again!!
Happened a few times with my Ritz, while driving the car would just shut down on its own. Then may not crank, when you try to crank the lights in the dashboard would dim. The ABS light would light up. After some research got a new battery and then the issue went away.

I would recommend you to look very closely at the health of your battery, maybe, take it to the local batterywala?
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 08:35   #9
BHPian

I had similar issue with Fiesta, turns out that fuel pump relay socket was problem. Relay itself wasn't the issue.
Relay should snug fit, however in my case it had tiny wiggle. Hence symptoms used to occur if left front wheel jump on pothole... Or during cold start, engine vibrates, suddenly engine dies... Local FNG in tire 2 city (because we got stuck on the way), did a investigation. Since relay socket itself is not sold independently, he could use screwdriver to put contact point little closer.

The problem never reappeared since then.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 08:38   #10
BHPian

@RaguHolla @govigov, will keep that mind, will check it when it happens again.
Old 8th February 2019, 09:51   #11
BHPian

Same case here.

Our new grand i10-1 month and 600 KM old, which my wife drives. Today I noticed ABS light is ON. She says, it is always on (may be for the past one week-initially it was not there).

Taking to service center for further inspection.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th February 2019 at 09:58. Reason: own == ON

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks