Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2006, 18:06   #1
BHPian

Planning to grove my alto yes or no???

Team,

I am planning to take my car to mysore and get it done by somender singh.. Cost would be anything between 13-15k,

Has anyone done this on an alto before?? What do you guys think about it on the long-run.. I am not planning to change my car at-least for the next 3 years..

Help required
Old 7th December 2006, 18:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

There is a thread on this about a groveed Esteem. Why dont you speak to the person who has done it. Be prepared to lose extended warranty if you have it.
Old 7th December 2006, 18:43   #3
BHPian

Thanks dude, I will surely do that, Again has anyone grooved thier alto before?
Old 7th December 2006, 19:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Thanks dude, I will surely do that, Again has anyone grooved thier alto before?
Alto in anycase is very fuel efficient and for small increment in FE, keeping in mind the initial investment, it will take a lot of time before you will actually gain anything and will also loose out on warranty.
Think again dude!
Old 7th December 2006, 19:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Alto in anycase is very fuel efficient and for small increment in FE, keeping in mind the initial investment, it will take a lot of time before you will actually gain anything and will also loose out on warranty.
Think again dude!
Hey thanks man... Well, from what I have heard so far, the Fe is more than marginal, Hence the thought of grooving came into picture..

The power band will also increase if I am not mistaken?? I am really confused now..
Old 7th December 2006, 19:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Alto in anycase is very fuel efficient and for small increment in FE, keeping in mind the initial investment, it will take a lot of time before you will actually gain anything and will also loose out on warranty. Think again dude!
After going through that thread on grooving, I guess what extreme_torque says makes sense. Why not try a LPG kit on the car instead along with a free flow filter and an exhaust mod? This is what I propose to do shortly although I am sure I will lose warranty on my 6 month old car.

Unless we have concrete proof on the benefits of grooving, We don't know how things will turn out to be. They say, a known Devil is better than an unknown Angel.
Old 7th December 2006, 19:16   #7
BHPian

mail4ajo, I already have headers and k&n filter with intake installed in the car, How will the car behave if I put LPG? Considering the fact that it is a really small engine????
Old 7th December 2006, 19:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
mail4ajo, I already have headers and k&n filter with intake installed in the car
Thats cool, That should take care your power and pickup needs.

Quote:
How will the car behave if I put LPG? Considering the fact that it is a really small engine????
I am not sure what you are looking forward to achieve here, more power or better FE. If its more power, you already have the works. If its better FE or lower cost of operation, LPG conversion should take care of your needs.
Old 7th December 2006, 20:34   #9
BHPian

I dont think it will be much of help on a modern 16V engine, grooving is more effective for older engines with poorly designed head if you see pics of head groved, mostly you will see those are older 2valve/cly head engine, for 16 valve theres hardly any space for grooving, alto is 3Cyl with 4V/cyl if i am not wrong. it will be waste of money according to me.
Old 7th December 2006, 21:08   #10
BHPian

Thanks ford rocam, That is solid info... I think I will re-consider my options once again. Another doubt that I have - Grooving involves porting and polishing as well rite? So will that make a considerable diff in power?
Old 8th December 2006, 14:34   #11
BANNED

Just get the porting and polishing done, it will give you a good increase in power and fuel efficiency (depending on how you drive).

Alto already gives great mileage, I don't know what more you really want from it.
Old 8th December 2006, 15:19   #12
BHPian

I agree with Boom Shiva....getting just a porting and polishing job done will cost u a fraction (time and money) of what it would take to go down to Mysore and contact Mr. Singh AND get all the work done at his garage. As people have mentioned on this thread, Alto already has great FE. The only thing I can think of for increasing power now would be porting, polishing, and possibly milling, all of which can be done in BLR.....

I respect Mr. Singh a lot, but he himself has told me in an email (yes, I've been in touch with him for the same reasons) that he barely has time to do work on cars, considering his long string of clientele and R&D work.

Knight Rider, ur right when u said his work does include porting & polishing. The other thing he does is milling to increase comp. ratio before putting the grooves in....
Old 8th December 2006, 15:33   #13
BHPian

Boom, My car does give good mileage.. 14-15 in the city and 21 for long drives, First i installed K&n, Drove around for a while, then the headers and it has been like 5-6 months after that...

Require some more power from the car.. After I spoke with m.r singh in mysore, I had the understanding that the car will have good torque in low revs also...

Again the car will be quicker than before with some increase as far as the mileage is concerned....Hence the thought of grooving...

Last edited by Knight Rider : 8th December 2006 at 15:47.
Old 8th December 2006, 15:42   #14
BANNED

If you're looking for more power then porting will definitely make a good difference.

Also check out the tri phase module. From my experience, it delivers better low and mid range power as well as a marginal increase in FE.
Old 8th December 2006, 15:54   #15
BHPian

Yup, boom, Did enquire about tri-phase.. But felt that the pricing was a bit on the higher side..Nothing to do with the seller, everything to do with me..-

Vezj420, Thanks dude, I spoke with m.r singh and he told me that he is doing up his friends alto, Asked me to drive it and see the diff.. and then opt for it if at all I want it..

Hmmm... seriously considering porting and polishing, btw what do you mean by milling??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks