Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2018, 22:06   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Brake Upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Of course not. In our country they are seen like that. There are modified Innovas abroad with output at wheels more than the crank figures of many high end sports sedans. There is a strong tuning base and fan following for Innova in those countries and they have as much choices (probably more) available in their market as we do. These modified Innovas have as much work done internally in the engines than what is visible on the photos.Attachment 1755043
Only talking about what the car was originally designed for and its market segment.

Of course one could heavily mod a car till it's transformed into another beast. These modders are probably in SE Asia?

That said, do you intend to modify your car beyond the remap? If yes, a 1.5L expense on better brakes is worth the $$ IMO. Gee! I'd do the brake upgrade first, then the chassis and last the engine in what I believe is the order of importance.

Quote:
Yes, that thought crossed my mind multiple times and that is another reason holding me back on these. Better wait for the good stuff like the Innova below
Yummy. That rotor and 4 pot (?) caliper are pure drool maal. Wish I had the budget and gumption to upgrade my Altis' F&R brakes to one of these hi-performance sets. They would probably stop the ~1300 kg car on a dime.

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd April 2018 at 22:09.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 22:22   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That said, do you intend to modify your car beyond the remap? If yes, a 1.5L expense on better brakes is worth the $$ IMO. Gee! I'd do the brake upgrade first, then the chassis and last the engine in what I believe is the order of importance.
Sankar's Crysta should be the only modified Crysta in India. Remaps are not available yet. He has installed Unichip ECU. This has got lot more control over the engine than remap and should be fun to play with .

His car has done 567 NM at wheels on dyno
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 22:24   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Sankar

Have you considered a dual-caliper upgrade with heavy-duty brake pads? Considering the extra performance you've bolted on, you might yet be able to retain the existing rotor (not sure about heat management though) if you can get a right-sized dual-caliper setup.

I also liked GTO's suggestion of an upgrade to the Fortuner's brakes, if that is more seamless.
Old 23rd April 2018, 22:30   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Sankar's Crysta should be the only modified Crysta in India. Remaps are not available yet. He has installed Unichip ECU. This has got lot more control over the engine than remap and should be fun to play with .
Gosh! No wonder the brakes (and tyres?) need an upgrade. A real sleeper alright. I'd love to see some sedans take this car on. Should be fun to see a ricer in the RVM and watch it zoom past.

@Sankar - Any 0-100 and top speed details?

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd April 2018 at 22:32.
Old 24th April 2018, 07:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Sankar

Have you considered a dual-caliper upgrade with heavy-duty brake pads? Considering the extra performance you've bolted on, you might yet be able to retain the existing rotor (not sure about heat management though) if you can get a right-sized dual-caliper setup.
You mean dual/multiple piston caliper with stock rotor? I thought about it in the past but I was told it will not fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I also liked GTO's suggestion of an upgrade to the Fortuner's brakes, if that is more seamless.
That is partially possible (fortuner caliper only) but there is no reason to because the work involved is same as using a Wilwood/Brembo or any other aftermarket caliper.

Quote:
@Sankar - Any 0-100 and top speed details?
0 to 100 I have not measured since I don't have VBOX or GTECH.

Top speed is limited, it gets there faster. Not planning to delimit top speed with these brakes.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 08:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Many keep quiet coz its a Toyota and Toyota can't do no wrong. Or they say I am driving it wrong/fast. If it shouldn't be driven fast then why sell 170BHP and 360NM? 200NM and 110 BHP would have been enough and would have spared me the hassle of purchasing one. I would have put my cash elsewhere.
Looks like Toyota's analysis was spot on.

A power increase of 30% and torque by more than 50% was done on March 3rd and this thread created on March 28th and yet the fact of the chip upgrade hasn't been disclosed in the OP. In fact it was GTO who politely revealed this point whereas it is the most important disclosure in an OP in a thread requesting assistance on brakes. Unless we would like to blame the manufacturer for our mistakes which is what seems to have been happening.

Quote:
No wonder the brakes (and tyres?) need an upgrade.
Ha! And we were discussing the subtleties of run outs.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 09:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Looks like Toyota's analysis was spot on.
Dude, Unichip was installed on June 2017. Between June 2016 and June 2017 I have gone through two sets of rotors and two sets of pads.

Actually all of your posts on this thread including this was wildly off the tangent without making any sense and without understanding the issue, and that was why I didnt even care to reply to them, only replying on this one because I for a fact know better than you do regarding this.

Quote:
In fact it was GTO who politely revealed this point whereas it is the most important disclosure in an OP in a thread requesting assistance on brakes.
And If you think I have something to hide you can politely ask GTO why he pulled my thread on my Crysta which I created last year and was here for everyone to see in the open section with details of all the mods and future mods on it.

You have truly blessed this thread with your knowledge now let me go and look for the hub runout. Thanks!

I just needed to bring this to attention of certain folks and the thread has done its purpose.

Last edited by navin : 24th April 2018 at 11:23. Reason: toned down post.
Sankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 09:15   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Top speed is limited, it gets there faster. Not planning to delimit top speed with these brakes.
@Sankar, have you considered changing over to rear discs as well? If possible that is. IMO a 4 wheel disc brake setup would make a big difference given the chip enhanced torque and power delivery.
Old 24th April 2018, 09:18   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A power increase of 30% and torque by more than 50% was done on March 3rd and this thread created on March 28th
I don't think you have watched the video properly. Sankar has been running his Crysta with Unichip since June 2017.

Quote:
Unless we would like to blame the manufacturer for our mistakes which is what seems to have been happening.
There are cases of even stock Innova Crysta owners having issues with brakes.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 09:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Sankar, have you considered changing over to rear discs as well? If possible that is. IMO a 4 wheel disc brake setup would make a big difference given the chip enhanced torque and power delivery.
Yes, there is a vendor who develops rear disk kits for various cars and pickups and I have contacted them with this requirement. They have the new Innova (crysta) on their things to do list and asked me to wait. They use drum in hat setup for parking brake, and for the vehicles they have already developed the kit for is a bolt in install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
There are cases of even stock Innova Crysta owners having issues with brakes.
Exactly. Toyota was taking feedback (with an OBD thingy plugged in) on Crysta brakes, not because one of their customers had poor brakes.

Last edited by Sankar : 24th April 2018 at 09:31.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 10:00   #41
BHPian

My order of solving brake issues.
- Grippy Tyre
- Performance pads
- Slotted disks
All the above three solved braking issues in my polo.

For automatics
- Paddle shifters for better control..

When all is not enough go for 4/6 pot brakes.
brraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 10:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
My order of solving brake issues.
- Grippy Tyre
- Performance pads
- Slotted disks
All the above three solved braking issues in my polo.

Grippy tyre
Using 225 now, upgraded from 205 and 215. (To solve wheel spin issues, also helped brakes)

Performance pads
None available so far. Trying to get the FMSI number of stock pads.

Aftermarket disks
No bolt-ons available.

Quote:
For automatics
- Paddle shifters for better control..When all is not enough go for 4/6 pot brakes
Fortuner/Crysta's auto in manual mode have a mind of their own and won't respond promptly, it responds in a leisurely manner. Fortuner's paddle controls can be retrofitted to Crysta but did not want it because of poor response when I tried manual mode using shifter, unlike a DSG.

Last edited by navin : 24th April 2018 at 11:16. Reason: removed video
Old 24th April 2018, 13:33   #43
Team-BHP Support

I would hold on till i get hold of replacement parts for the rotor, pads and caliper. Rest all would not be worth the effort. Unless you know some engineering and metallurgy genius can work on the disc from scratch. Surprised that Toyota has a unique set up without any matching after markets for this van.
Old 24th April 2018, 14:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I would hold on till i get hold of replacement parts for the rotor, pads and caliper. Rest all would not be worth the effort. Unless you know some engineering and metallurgy genius can work on the disc from scratch. Surprised that Toyota has a unique set up without any matching after markets for this van.
My thoughts exactly. Availability of spares and consumables like pads and rotors. These calipers can use pads from different manufacturers like Akebono, Hawk, Ferodo etc. Rotors are available as spare, center hats can be re-used. Same kit is sold by multiple vendors in USA, UK, Australia and Asia. Truly global :lol

Reviews for the Kit is generally positive, except some fitment issues with alloy spacing or wrong kit for the car. Brake template can be used to check fitment. I have checked and upto 330x32 fits behind current wheels.

I have this option to fall back on unless the search presents no new leads. Should be good for a van.

Caliper 6 piston
Brake Upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-6-pot-caliper.jpg

Caliper split
Brake Upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-caliper-split.jpg

Rotor two piece
Brake Upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-twopiecerotor.jpg

Rotor wave cut two piece
Brake Upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-wave-cut-rotors-.jpg

Challenger with wave cut
Brake Upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-challenger-ceika-wave-cut-rotors.jpg

Merc SL
Brake Upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-mercedes-benz-r230-painted-iron-grey-xlarge-6-330x32.jpeg

Supra with floating rotor
Brake Upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-toyota-supra-jza80-front-bbk-coilovers.jpg

The pics of Wave cut, Challenger, Merc and Supra was mailed to me by the vendor. Template was also emailed which I printed stuck on a stiff cardboard to check the clearance.

Brake Upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-29662388_2047041205583262_9000640602126060837_o.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 24th April 2018 at 14:54.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 20:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Actually all of your posts on this thread including this was wildly off the tangent without making any sense and without understanding the issue, and that was why I didnt even care to reply to them,
Whoa, whoa, we're getting excited here aren't we mate? Remember, this is a technical section.

Quote:
You have truly blessed this thread with your knowledge
Thank you for acknowledging that.

Quote:
now let me go and look for the hub runout.
It looks like you do not know about hub runouts either judging from your remark, I would suggest you don't go and "look for a hub runout" - you will never see it as these are not visible to the naked eye.

Last edited by SDP : 25th April 2018 at 00:40. Reason: Toning down and removing personal attack. Let's keep it civil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks