Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2018, 16:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Exide Advanz with battery life indicator. EDIT: Now about battery warranty too

Exide has announced the launch of Advanz - a new sealed and maintenance free battery. It does not require periodic top ups and even comes equipped with a battery life indicator.

The Exide Advanz with battery life indicator. EDIT: Now about battery warranty too-advanzbattery3dcopy.jpg

The Exide Advanz uses a Ca-Ca (Calcium-Calcium) alloy system that negates the need for top ups during the service life of the battery. Micro porous filter discs help filter out acid fumes, which escape through the vent openings, while flame arrestors restrict spark propagation inside the battery. The battery has a low self-discharge rate and comes charged from the factory. The batteries are available in capacities ranging from 32 Ah to 74 Ah.

The Exide Advanz car battery comes with a 15 month warranty and is available at all the Exide Care outlets in India.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 11th April 2018 at 11:05.
TusharK is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 18:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Exide Advanz with battery life indicator. EDIT: Now about battery warranty too

Has the same features as the Exide Matrix. I really wonder what the product differentiation is.

PS - 15 month versus 60 month warranty on the Matrix, so this model should cost less.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th April 2018 at 18:11.
R2D2 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 18:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: The Exide Advanz with battery life indicator. EDIT: Now about battery warranty too

Sorry to say this, but the miniscule warranty period speaks volumes about the confidence of the manufacturer in its own product.
jinojohnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 23:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Sorry to say this, but the miniscule warranty period speaks volumes about the confidence of the manufacturer in its own product.
Not really. Actually contrary to popular belief, batteries of a particular product line are constructed of the same materials. There's no difference between this and the Exide Matrix or the Exide Epiq from what is in the brochure. What you pay extra for is the warranty.

THE TRUTH ABOUT WARRANTIES

After 24 months (in a 48 month) or 30 months (in a 60 month warranty) you have to partially pay for a replacement battery either way.

Notice how the warranty is structured. The replacement warranty is for exactly half the total warranty period. And why is this so? Because batteries are consumables and deteriorate with use much faster in hot tropical climates (2-4 years) than in temperate climates where batteries are known to last for >6 years.

Exide offers only an age based discount on a new battery under the so called "prorata warranty". IMO the prorata warranty is just a selling gimmick and the real warranty is the replacement warranty period. The same applies to Amaron too.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th April 2018 at 14:30. Reason: Small formatting change - as we've linked to this post from Facebook :)
R2D2 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 10:55   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Has the same features as the Exide Matrix.
Wow! I thought this 'battery life indicator' was a new thing.

Quote:
IMO the prorata warranty is just a selling gimmick and the real warranty is the replacement warranty period. The same applies to Amaron too.
Amazing post - thanks! Who offers the longest replacement warranty in India? Anyone giving a 4 - 5 year?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 11:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We've had Matrix batteries on the Palio and the Altis. That so called life indicator is nothing but a hydrometer/Magic Eye which changes colour depending on the Sp. Gr of the electrolyte in the battery. For e.g. green when >80% charged and white when you need to recharge.

Since these batteries are sealed there's no way to fill the cells with water as they run dry. When that point arrives the Magic Eye turns red to indicate end of life.

In other batteries, for e.g. an Amaron, a similar Magic Eye indication would tell the owner to top off the battery with distilled water. Exide's "EOL indicator" is only a sales gimmick.

No more sealed batteries for me. I now prefer Amazon or Tata Green. Their vent plugs can be taken off to top up the battery hence they never run dry. Battery manufacturers in the US have hot weather models for the Southern States, CO/TX/CA/GA etc, where summer temps are similar to those in experienced in India during the hot season. These hot weather models have additional electrolyte for a longer lasting battery with extended top up intervals.

Quote:
Amazing post - thanks! Who offers the longest replacement warranty in India? Anyone giving a 4 - 5 year?
The Exide Epiq has a 72 month warranty. But the same fundamental principles apply here i.e. replacement + pro-rata warranty. So going by Indian battery industry standards this particular model should have a 3 year replacement warranty + 3 year pro-rata warranty. The fine print is here Exide Warranty Terms

For high end EU vehicles I'd always recommend a AGM as fitted by the factory. Yeah, they are much more expensive but wet batteries are messy and require maintenance. Plus they vent gas (or even excess electrolyte) into the boot/dicky which IMO is a no-no since it can be corrosive. The boot isn't as well protected with heavy anti-corrosion coatings as the engine bay is. Also, high end cars have their batteries in the boot to protect temperature sensitive AGM batteries from heat.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th April 2018 at 11:34.
R2D2 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 19:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Add to what R2D2 has said, one would have better luck squeezing blood from a stone than in getting Exide to honour its 'warranty'.
It is just that Exide product quality is much more consistent nowadays, so one does not hear of Exide horror stories as often.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 14:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not really. Actually contrary to popular belief, batteries of a particular product line are constructed of the same materials. There's no difference between this and the Exide Matrix or the Exide Epiq from what is in the brochure. What you pay extra for is the warranty.
While this is mostly accurate, aren't there *sometimes* a few small differences? Eg. lower tolerances (eg. at QC), different vendors / grades for the raw material, etc?

Also, here's an interesting related thread : Team-BHP visits a Car Battery Factory

Quote:
Notice how the warranty is structured. The replacement warranty is for exactly half the total warranty period.
Wow... didn't know about this! Such a marketing scam!!

Is this the case for all car battery brands in India?

From the Exide warranty page:

"1. Warranty Period: Comprises of FREE REPLACEMENT and PRO-RATA. The label on every Exide battery specifies the total number of months covered by the free replacement period and the Pro-Rata period for batteries fitted in private cars, multi-utility vehicles, two-wheelers, inverters, gensets and solar applications."

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th April 2018 at 15:00.
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 16:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Same case with Amaron - replacement warranty is only for half of the warranty period. After that, prorated discount is offered for a new Amaron.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 17:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
While this is mostly accurate, aren't there *sometimes* a few small differences? Eg. lower tolerances (eg. at QC), different vendors / grades for the raw material, etc?
While there MAY be differences between Pb/PbO2 paste formulae including doping with other metals like Calcium and Silver (which I admittedly have no knowledge of as they are proprietary) manufactured at the same factory for e.g. SF and Exide I do not believe there is a major difference between an Exide Epiq, Exide Matrix and Exide Advanz. If you look at the brochures there isn't much to tell them apart aside from the cosmetics and more importantly the warranty period and therefore the price.

Quote:
Wow... didn't know about this! Such a marketing scam!! Is this the case for all car battery brands in India?
I think it applies to most if not all batteries. Some with <24 month warranties MAY have direct replacements should failure occur during that warranty period while others with >24 month have a replacement + pro rata warranty. IMO the warranty is designed in such a way that a majority of battery failures occur **outside** the replacement warranty period due to the hot tropical environment in which they operate. Ever wondered why Exide or other batteries fail just after the warranty is over? Well, that's why. It's a CYA or risk reduction game by the manufacturer.

Also note an anomaly, if the battery is replaced warranty continues as normal from the date of purchase of the original (now failed) unit till the date of expiry. OTOH if the battery is purchased under the pro-rata scheme the warranty expires x months from the date of purchase. Note the difference, the date of purchase is reset when you avail of a pro-rata replacement. It is as if you purchased a new battery albeit at a discount. They also do not offer a scrap value rebate when this is done.

Therefore, IMHO, a pro rata replacement is only a discounted purchase (say at a "goodwill" discount ) and NOT a warranty on the product.

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th April 2018 at 17:43.
R2D2 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 13:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Exide Advanz with battery life indicator. EDIT: Now about battery warranty too

When you buy an Exide battery, there is a sticker on it stating how much discount you will get on new battery in exchange of the dead battery based on its years of service from the date of purchase. Its pretty much self explanatory, and it has always been honored in my case.

Having said that, I have found that Exide batteries are not very great as they did not last for more than 3.5 years in two of the diesel cars that we have in our family. There was no way they could be repaired as one of the cells were gone kaput in both cases. Also, that battery indicator thingy is plain gimmick, once you recharge the battery after it is dead, there is no guarantee that the color will turn green again. My dad's car was idle for a few months, so the battery went dead, when he recharged it externally, the color did not turn green. Its been almost a year now and there is no problem as such.
They are expensive by 200-300 Rs for the same Ah rating of its competitors. This time I have gone for Amaron using online route. Lets see how it goes.

Last edited by NiInJa : 13th April 2018 at 13:57. Reason: addition
Old 13th April 2018, 14:21   #12
BHPian

Re: The Exide Advanz with battery life indicator. EDIT: Now about battery warranty too

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
That so called life indicator is nothing but a hydrometer/Magic Eye which changes colour depending on the Sp. Gr of the electrolyte in the battery. For e.g. green when >80% charged and white when you need to recharge.
I'm quite sure I recall having this thing on one of the batteries atleast 8 - 9 years ago ? And surely it wasn't one of the more expensive ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I have found that Exide batteries are not very great as they did not last for more than 3.5 years ... This time I have gone for Amaron using online route. Lets see how it goes.
Same here (though not via online purchases) - I have started preferring Amaron over Exide as I too have experienced better battery life from the former.

A question regarding the product on which this thread is based - is it similar to the so-called "gel" battery offered in scooters (activa etc.) ? Since those too are non-refillable ?
//HB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 14:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Add to what R2D2 has said, one would have better luck squeezing blood from a stone than in getting Exide to honour its 'warranty'.
It is just that Exide product quality is much more consistent nowadays, so one does not hear of Exide horror stories as often.

Regards
Sutripta
I swore off Exide about 4 or 5 years ago. I had Exide in all 4 of my cars and all the batteries failed earlier than expected. Been using Bosch or Amaron since then, with good results too. Exide - never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Wow... didn't know about this! Such a marketing scam!!
Is this the case for all car battery brands in India?
Yes, all manufacturers do this.
However, there is another caveat to this. The discount offered is only on the MRP, and not applicable if the dealer is giving a discount from his end.

What this means is that buying a new battery without applying this rubbish pro rata warranty is oftentimes cheaper!!!
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 15:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That so called life indicator is nothing but a hydrometer/Magic Eye which changes colour depending on the Sp. Gr of the electrolyte in the battery. For e.g. green when >80% charged and white when you need to recharge.
A battery dealer to whom I talked to, says the battery life indicator is just connected to only one (out of 6) cell in the car battery, so it just indicates the health of that particular cell.
Quote:
IMO the warranty is designed in such a way that a majority of battery failures occur **outside** the replacement warranty period due to the hot tropical environment in which they operate. Ever wondered why Exide or other batteries fail just after the warranty is over? Well, that's why. It's a CYA or risk reduction game by the manufacturer.
Tell me about it. My (3 year warranty) Exide conked off in 3 years and 2 weeks .

Last edited by aah78 : 13th April 2018 at 18:31. Reason: Typo fixed on request.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 15:22   #15
BHPian

Battery life indicator is nothing new and I remember having a battery with similar feature as a replacement for my M800 somewhere in 2006.
Though a bit off topic, the life of batteries is something which really intrigues me. The OEMs last upto 4-5 years (well for me it was always 4-5years with OEMs), and believe me, my March 2012 swift is still on her first OEM battery with no signs of deterioration. Any replacement will hardly last 3 years. Do the manufacturers have different production quality standards or something happens to the batteries when they are sold directly to the customers.
The latest replacement that I did was for my two wheeler, it came with 2+2 years and it's an Exide. I do have an Amaron with 60 months warranty on one of my rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
The warranty for replacement is not valid unless a service record is regularly maintained in the warranty booklet, by an authorised dealer of the company Now who maintains a service record of the battery with an authorised dealer of the company, a straight case to make the warranty claim null and void

For commercial vehicles the warranty is 12 months - strange, isn't it.
I really fail to understand this warranty business.

Cheers

Last edited by Brumby : 13th April 2018 at 15:25. Reason: Missing text

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks