Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 12:21   #46
Team-BHP Support

I believe 10 and 2 was always the standard, but once manufacturers started putting airbags in the steering wheel, there was a high chance of injury to the drivers forearms when the airbag deployed (and the plastic airbag cover on the steering wheel flapped open), hence the 9 and 3 position was reccomended.

cya
R
Old 17th January 2008, 16:52   #47
BHPian

It's 9-3 for me, mostly my hands gripping the spoke of the huge steering wheel of the old M800. Atleast my left hand is almost always on the spoke, at '9' position and right hand either on the other spoke or at the '2' position
Old 17th January 2008, 16:54   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

In city, most of the time, my right hand is at 12 and left hand on the gear knob. During highway drives, 9-3 is the best position to keep the car in control.
Old 17th January 2008, 17:20   #49
BHPian

9-3 is most comfortable but 10-2 is better at cornering as it requires lesser effort. On a clear road , even some thing like 8-4 position is also fine so that your elbow can rest close to you body.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:06   #50
BHPian

I am used to 10 and 2 steering position since I learnt driving in ambassador and my uncle explained me about the benefits of this position.
1.) Easier for you to take control of the steering while cornering.
2.) Less of obstruction in older cars(Purely my opinion based on my experience).
3.) Easy manouverablility.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:14   #51
BHPian

These driving positions have resulted in least fatigue in the conditins mentioned, in my Indica & Scorpio likewise.

Highway cruising - 9-3

B-to-B city traffic - 12 + gear

Moderate cruising - 10-2

Cheers
Old 18th January 2008, 10:27   #52
BHPian

My preference is, just 5, just 3 (depending on where I rest my elbow) or 9 and 3 depending on road/traffic conditions. When I learned driving long back, my master had told me to use 10 and 2. But I was never comfortable with that.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:46   #53
BHPian

Interesting thread. I do a lot of experimenting with driving position.

I learnt driving in a Morris 8 and an Amby. Both were non-power steering and the wheels were large. So, 10-2 was the most comfortable position. Now my car has a smaller wheel and 9-3 feels more comfortable.

The distance between the wheel and my body too has to be small. I prefer to have the wheel close enough for my upper arms to be able to hang loose, with no load on my shoulders. But the problem with this is that it sets the pedals too close to my body. So, at present I am driving with a driving position as close to my most preferred as feasible. The seat position of course, has to be just far enough from the pedals so that I neither have to stretch my legs, nor are my knees too bent.

The back rest has to be vertical enough not to push me on to the wheel. Sometimes, at the office, whenever someone asks for my car keys to move my car a bit to take another car out, I find my seat has been moved. I guess nobody finds my seat position etc. comfortable. So, whenever I drive someone else's car, guess how long I take before I start the car?
Old 4th July 2008, 14:55   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTHING View Post
hey,
i agree to the fact that 9-3 might be a good position to drive or may it be 10-10 but in a city like mumbai where there is traffic every two minutes i feel the best position to drive is with your right hand right on top at 12 and the left hand on your gear as you will require to down-shift every two blocks.lol
cheers.
I follow the same thing here in Pune as well
Old 4th July 2008, 15:40   #55
BHPian

I usually prefer keeping my left hand at 12 or at gear or at the handbrake lever and the right hand at 4 or 5 with a support to my elbow by the armrest in the door molding. Surprisingly no one mentioned using the armrest?
Old 4th July 2008, 16:46   #56
BHPian

Well I prefer the 10-2 possition seat pushed back to fit my 6 ft frame comfortably, in the highways though I prefer 9-3 (courtsey Black pearl who told me to do so), as I have seen theres better controlability.
Old 4th July 2008, 16:58   #57
Senior - BHPian

Me sit pushed all the way back so that my arms are fully stretched to hold the steering. Once hand driving - either left on the gear, or the right resting on the door-handle / arm rest - this position is more so when I am on long drives...
Old 23rd April 2010, 07:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

SUV / MUV / Tall boy vehicle owners, please try the 8 - 4 position for a few days. I have been doing this over the past week, and felt reduction in body roll !

I think this is because the steering is gripped at a much lower position during the 8 - 4 grip, compared to the 10 - 2 position, reducing our arm / upper body swaying.

Would appreciate some feedback after your trials
Old 23rd April 2010, 07:31   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

I normally follow 10-2 but also use 12-3 at times.

With the steering knob becoming a fancy these days,one can see a lot of drivers following 2-0 as well
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
SUV / MUV / Tall boy vehicle owners, please try the 8 - 4 position for a few days. I have been doing this over the past week, and felt reduction in body roll !

I think this is because the steering is gripped at a much lower position during the 8 - 4 grip, compared to the 10 - 2 position, reducing our arm / upper body swaying.

Would appreciate some feedback after your trials

Though 8-4 is a comfortable grip, that is not suggested as its difficult to take turn.
While taking a turn one should never ever slide the steering from side to side (as one slip can result in danger), bit instead practice hand over hand type of turning. That requires a 10-2 grip.
You fail the driving test if you do a slide-between-your-palms type of turning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks