Team-BHP - Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/199931-installed-m-sport-suspension-my-bmw-330i-gt.html)

M Sport Suspensions Installed

Upgraded the suspensions in my 330i GT M-Sport from regular suspensions to M-Sport suspensions.

One of the main dislikes I had with the GT was the very soft suspension setup. While clearing speed breakers, the car rear would oscillate three to four times before settling. There was also body roll through the corners. This resulted in very comfortable ride at low speeds in city, but on highway speeds, on undulating roads, the car had lots of vertical movement in the rear which was quite unsettling.

Just to be clear, this was definitely not a show stopper. With the explosive 252bhp engine, super smooth and fast ZF8 gearbox and the accurate steering (in sports mode), the car was super fun to drive. The rear wheel drive made up for that predictable body roll in the corners. It was just that small nagging on how the car would be with a sporty suspension setup. As I have a 6 year extended warranty and a 3 year BSI, I did not want to go for aftermarket suspenions like Bilsteins or KWs.

At the time of paying the booking amount, I had asked the Sales Manager that I will need his support in upgrading the suspensions to M-Sport without affecting warranty. He had promised that he will do everything to make this happen. And he kept his promise.

So, before proceeding with the details of the install, I would like to thank Mr. Raja, the sales manager and Mr. Yadhav, the service manager at Kun Exclusive, for all the awesome support they provided to make this upgrade possible. As the M-Sport suspensions were not installed in any of the variants in the Indian GTs , the components for the suspensions were not open for purchase or even generating a quotation. They worked with BMW Germany to get these components unlocked for India and only then they were able to raise a quotation and place orders. I would say they went above and beyond their call of duty to make this happen. Compare this to VW where I had asked about upgrading my HU and the simple and decisive answer I received was "it is not possible".

How much did it cost:
Components - Approximately 2 Lakhs
Installation charges - Approximately 50K
Total - 2.5 Lakhs.

Suspension Options:

Though the GT comes with just the regular suspenions in India, in Europe there is an option to choose the suspension from the below list.

Regular suspensions: The same as the Indian ones. These suspensions are tuned very soft for comfort and sacrifice a lot in the handling department.

Adaptive suspensions: Also known as option S2VFA, they offer the best of both worlds. These suspensions have electronically controlled dampers that can be programmed to be soft or stiff. These are usually programmed for soft ride in Comfort and EcoPro modes and stiff ride in Sports mode. In India, higher models like 5 series, X3, 6GT etc. come with these suspensions.

M-Sport suspensions: Also known as option 704A, these suspensions are stiffer than the regular suspension, and have a 10mm drop in ride height. From the various reviews I read, the stiffness is just a little below the stiffness of the Adaptive suspensions in their highest setting. All the reviews I read were positive that these suspensions improved the handling dynamics of the car by several notches compared to the regular suspensions, without compromising comfort.

As the Adaptive suspensions would require control electronics, different wiring and coding, it is not possible to get this done outside factory (at least not in the workshop). So, I decided to go for the 704A option.

Selecting the parts:

The next step was to select the parts. For this I used the BMW ETKA parts catalog.

https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/language/EN

Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-etka-home-page.jpg

Enter the VIN number and it recognizes the model and options in the car.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-etkbmw-parts-catalog.jpg

From this page, we can open various subsystems and locate the part numbers. The front struts can be found in the Front Axle section. Here is a sample screen shot. The page lists all the parts for various suspension options. The part number for the front struts for the regular suspensions and M sport suspensions can be seen here.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-etkbmw-front-spring-strut.jpg

I searched through the front axle and rear axle subsystems and extracted the part numbers for the front and rear struts, front and rear stabilizers and the mounting bushes.

Then came the first road block. When I tried to get the part number of the springs, this is what I got.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-etkbmw-front-spring.jpg

The part number for the spring was not available. I visited the BMW workshop and Mr. Yadhav then opened their own internal part catalogue, and to his surprise, even in their system, the part number for the springs was not there. This was followed by about 20 days of wait where Mr. Yadhav exchanged mails with the Delhi office and they in turn sent the enquiry to BMW head office. After about 20 days, he got the part number confirmed for the springs. Here is the full parts list.

Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-part-list-complete.jpg

Then they raised the quotation for the spare parts and installation. The cost of the spares was about 2L and installation was about 50K. I had checked the cost of the spare parts in another online stores Schmiedmann and considering import duties and shipping, it worked out to be the same. However, I felt the installation charges were on the higher side. I then spoke to Akshay1234 and a contact in Navnit BMW in Bangalore (thanks to the Bangalore TBHP friends RSUDARSANAN, Robi and Diesel_Convert), and they confirmed that there will be some variation in installation cost between various dealers, but 50K was reasonable, as the suspension upgrade involved changing the front and rear stabiliziers as well which required considerable effort. So, I went ahead and placed the order and paid an advance for the parts.

Note: In the initial stage of part selection, I visited KR Motors in Coimbatore who specialize in servicing German cars. I had the coilovers and the Tarox brake discs for my Polo GT installed here and they did a fantastic job. Mr. Kanagaraj of KR Auto then got the part numbers for the springs from one of his sources. But as I wanted the warranty of the car to be intact, I decided to get the job done at the BMW workshop. And it happened that the part number for the springs that Mr. Kanagaraj got was the same as the one we got confirmation from BMW.

Installation:

In about 20 days time, I got a message from Mr. Yadhav that the parts have arrived and they are ready for installation. I took the car to the workshop on 4th July, and the car was ready on 6th of July. A few pictures below.

The components.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-parts.jpg

The car with the components.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-car-parts.jpg

Rear springs, regular suspension vs. M sport. The M sport springs are shorter than the regular ones.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-rear-springs-comparison.jpg

Front struts, regular vs. M Sport.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-front-strut-comparison.jpg

Rear struts, regular vs. M Sport.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-rear-strut-comparison.jpg

The car on the lift for final inspection.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-ready-inspection.jpg

The new suspensions in the front.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-front-strut-new.jpg

The new suspensions in the rear.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-rear-strut-new.jpg

I do not have pictures of the stabilizers as they are hidden and could not be photographed.

Measurements:
One of the concerns I had while getting the M Sport suspension upgrade was drop in ride height. Though the high GC of the GT is one reason for the body roll, it also gives lots of confidence in taking bad roads with potholes and craters. From the information I got from various forums, I was expecting a 10mm drop in height with the M Sport suspensions. The GT has a very high ground clearance and 10mm should not be a problem. Anything more would be a concern.

To get a clear idea of how much the car is lowered with the M-Sport, we made some measurements with a 320d GT (test drive car), and my 330i GT.

These measurements do not indicate the actual Ground Clearance which I really do not know how they calculate. These measurements were done on specific points in the front and rear bumper to get a relative comparison.

Approximately 10mm drop in the rear.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-rear-ride-height-comparison.jpg

Approximately 10mm drop in the front.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-front-ride-height-comparison.jpg

Next, we measured the suspension sag with 4 passengers on board. This also was done with the same reference points. We measured the height with the car unladen, and then with 4 passengers. Results below.

Suspension sag in regular suspensions - approximately 25mm
Suspension sag in M Sport - approximately 10mm. This lower sag compensates for the 10mm drop in ride height

The test drive GT and my 330i GT with M Sport side by side (no load). The drop in ride height is visible only if we are looking for it. Otherwise, both look the same.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-comparison.jpg

A very happy me with Mr. Yadhav (to my left) and the workshop incharge.
Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-dsc08219.jpg

The moment of truth:

A big disclaimer:
I am not an expert when it comes to suspensions. I have owned very limited cars, and driven very few cars of friends, so my experience on ride comfort and handling is limited to the cars I have driven. So it is quite possible that when I say the GT with M Sport suspension gives me fantastic handling, it may still be too soft for some one else's taste. With the disclaimer out of way, let me get to the tests.

Highway manners:
We took the car on the highway for a short 10km drive. I clearly felt the difference in vertical movement at highway speeds. Whereas the GT had lots of movement with the regular suspensions, with the M Sport, it was well planted. With the regular suspensions, there was some inertia and the car was a little sluggish in changing lanes. It would take a moment before it responded to a fast steering input. It would also oscillate a little after a lane change is complete. But with the M Sport suspensions, the response was super fast. The car immediately responded to steering input. There was absolutely no oscillations after changing lane. The stabilization is very quick. On speed breakers too, there was absolutely no oscillations.

In the corners:
Took the car on winding roads near Anaikkatti. The body roll is almost zero and the car just turns as if on rails (which it was supposed to do straight from the factory). The reason I say almost zero is again relative as the other car I drive is a Polo GT with KW coilovers. The 330i GT with its longer wheel base and higher GC is bound to feel different than the Polo GT.

Ground Clearance:
Took the car through some interior village roads where the roads were very bad with huge craters and potholes. And there was absolutely no scraping.

Ride Comfort:
One of the biggest risks I took during the suspension upgrade (and what many other TBHPians warned me about) was losing the ride comfort. To my relief (and as mentioned in many reviews), the ride comfort has not reduced at all. Even at lower speeds the suspensions completely absorb road imperfections giving a comfortable ride. This could be because BMW has made the M Sport suspensions in the F34 (and F30 LCI) softer compared to the E90.

Final Verdict:
After driving the car in all types of roads, I feel that the M Sport suspensions strike the perfect balance between handling and ride comfort. They remind me of the Jetta's suspensions. I had chosen the GT over the regular sedan for its practicality. Now with the suspension upgrade, the GT now gives me the best of both worlds.

To all those enthusiasts who want a powerful and fantastic handling car, but one which is also practical at the same time, get a GT and upgrade to M Sport suspensions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by graaja (Post 4425916)

Final Verdict:
After driving the car in all types of roads, I feel that the M Sport suspensions strike the perfect balance between handling and ride comfort. They remind me of the Jetta's suspensions. I had chosen the GT over the regular sedan for its practicality. Now with the suspension upgrade, the GT now gives me the best of both worlds.

To all those enthusiasts who want a powerful and fantastic handling car, but one which is also practical at the same time, get a GT and upgrade to M Sport suspensions.

:thumbs up
I'm glad you were able to strike a balance. A totally worthy upgrade while retaining warranty.

Do you have plans to change the wheels or delaying the temptation? :D Anything with a touch of black colour would look gorgeous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by graaja (Post 4425916)

Ground Clearance:
Took the car through some interior village roads where the roads were very bad with huge craters and potholes. And there was absolutely no scraping.

Thanks for sharing. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Official BMW India figure for GC for 3GT is 168 mm.

Having test driven 320GT, its a carpet on wheels and can tackle any road and having tons of space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by graaja (Post 4425930)
BWM Advanced Eye dashcam:

I will cover the BMW Advanced Eye in detail in a future post.

Awaiting and looking forward to it. Even I'm looking to install it in my X1.

Please do share following
1. Cost, MRP vis a vis discount.
2. Placement of camera
3. Wiring drawn for front and rear location
4. Recording time

Quote:

Originally Posted by graaja (Post 4425930)
A final picture to close this update. Taken during a family outing today. My wife and daughter sitting inside the boot for breakfast. I am now totally happy that I chose the GT over the sedan. After all, you could not eat idlis sitting in the boot of the regular sedan, can you?

Good idea you have given to try out in X1 with seats folded down. :thumbs up

Really happy you have struck the perfect balance. Do you have to change your tyre pressure settings to accomodate your new suspension?

Excellent, graaja!

Good to know that the ride comfort is still intact even after such an improvement in handling. Now, it is truly best of both worlds.

I like the way BMW India is accommodating in terms of fulfilling customer requests. Kudos to your dealer too for going out of their normal way and making this possible.

Great to see its been done finally. BMW is really good with supporting customers in this sense, most of the senior guys seem to be enthusiasts.

Also I'm sure now the car feels properly sporty, the stock suspension is so soft. On literally all new Bimmers, they have softened it up too much.

Hope you have many more enjoyable KMs with the car, looking forward to the next mods now.

Fantastic update! Very pleased to know that you are happy with the end result.

Many European brands in an effort to tune their cars for 'Indian conditions' end up spoiling the well researched and factory tuned ride and handling which their world cars are renowned for. Typical solution for them is to jack up the suspension and soften the dampers and springs. You really had to put in quite a bit of effort and spend quite a hefty sum just to get a setup that is just a simple matter of ticking a check box in other other countries. :Frustrati

Once you get used to stiff suspensions it becomes very difficult to drive cars with soft setups. They say soft suspension gives better ride comfort. But the bobbing and pitching really makes me uncomfortable. It is just a matter of adjusting your driving habits and taking bumps and potholes at the optimum speed which takes care of the slow speed ride. And at higher speeds you can keep grinning from ear to ear. Perfect addition to your car to fully exploit that beauty of a petrol engine.

BMW as a brand is often the enthusiast's choice and I am happy that they went out of their way to serve the enthusiast in you. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageshgr (Post 4425414)
Many congratulations in upgrading from Wolfsburg to Bavaria!! Once you go German, one can't look back. Your reviews are so meticulous and detailed, one can use it in case one does not find the User Manual. Kudos
Eager to know how the GT handles with the M sport suspension. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the Jetta matches and even beats the ride of the BMW. That shows what an accomplished and understated car the Jetta is.

Thanks a lot for the kind words. Jetta had that superbly balanced suspension which gave the best of both comfort and handling. I used to call the Jetta to have a dual personality disorder - being comfortable and sporty at the same time.

With the M Sport suspensions, the 330i feels the same now. It is both comfortable and sporty at the same time. In the end, it is time, effort and money well spent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiku007 (Post 4425949)
:thumbs up
Do you have plans to change the wheels or delaying the temptation? :D Anything with a touch of black colour would look gorgeous.

Ha ha. Right now, I will get beaten black and blue at home if I talk about any more expenses on the GT. I may go for something like a plasti dip or spray paint to a gun metal grey sometime in the future though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 (Post 4425956)
Thanks for sharing. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Having test driven 320GT, its a carpet on wheels and can tackle any road and having tons of space.

Awaiting and looking forward to it. Even I'm looking to install it in my X1.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes. The GT is indeed tuned for a ride like carpet on wheels. And with that ample GC, I have never hesitated to take it on interior pot hole ridden roads. The M Sport suspensions have not affected the GC much and hence I will be able to continue driving it on bad roads without much worry.

Sure. Will post some details on the Advanced Eye soon. As this was not a DIY, I do not have much details on the wiring etc. But will share pictures of the camera, sample footage etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepfreak15 (Post 4425962)
Really happy you have struck the perfect balance. Do you have to change your tyre pressure settings to accomodate your new suspension?

Thank you for the kind words. The service Manager gave me a recommended tire pressure of 32 and 35 for front and rear. The original recommendation was 34/37 I believe. Maybe they reduced the recommended pressure by a couple of PSIs for the stiffer suspensions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_skyliner (Post 4426009)
Excellent, graaja!

Good to know that the ride comfort is still intact even after such an improvement in handling. Now, it is truly best of both worlds.

I like the way BMW India is accommodating in terms of fulfilling customer requests. Kudos to your dealer too for going out of their normal way and making this possible.

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes. I am extremely satisfied with the support the dealer has been giving me on this (and BMW as well). They have been very pro-active in following up with BMW on the part number information, unlocking the parts for order etc. Though there was some delay in getting the details (reasonable, given the nature of the request), I never had to worry that they have dropped the ball.

I hope this trend continues in the coming years of my ownership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akshay1234 (Post 4426035)
Also I'm sure now the car feels properly sporty, the stock suspension is so soft.

Hope you have many more enjoyable KMs with the car, looking forward to the next mods now.

Thanks Akshay for the kind words and wishes. I have to lay low for some time before I take up any more mods :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoshbhat (Post 4426044)
Fantastic update! Very pleased to know that you are happy with the end result.
You really had to put in quite a bit of effort and spend quite a hefty sum just to get a setup that is just a simple matter of ticking a check box in other other countries. :Frustrati
BMW as a brand is often the enthusiast's choice and I am happy that they went out of their way to serve the enthusiast in you. :)

Thanks a lot for the wishes Santhosh. I too was very frustrated that I had to put in so much of effort and money to get something that comes standard (or is an option) in Europe. But I am extremely happy that it all worked out well in the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akshay1234 (Post 4426035)
On literally all new Bimmers, they have softened it up too much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoshbhat (Post 4426044)
Many European brands in an effort to tune their cars for 'Indian conditions' end up spoiling the well researched and factory tuned ride and handling which their world cars are renowned for. Typical solution for them is to jack up the suspension and soften the dampers and springs.

I think BMW softening up the suspensions for the Indian market is understandable. The sales manager was actually surprised when he heard my request about the upgrade to M Sport. He said almost all his customers are only interested in how much discount they can offer and how much comfortable the car is. Mostly no one really cares about the specs or features. Maybe that is what made BMW soften up the suspensions to sell more cars. This ends up bad for the enthusiasts though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by graaja (Post 4426334)
The service Manager gave me a recommended tire pressure of 32 and 35 for front and rear. The original recommendation was 34/37 I believe. Maybe they reduced the recommended pressure by a couple of PSIs for the stiffer suspensions.

Shouldn't the front tyres have higher pressure than the rear, or is it different for run flats? In my car the fronts have a higher pressure setting than the rear but they aren't run flats. I always assumed this was to compensate for the additional weight and load in the front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepfreak15 (Post 4426427)
Shouldn't the front tyres have higher pressure than the rear, or is it different for run flats? In my car the fronts have a higher pressure setting than the rear but they aren't run flats. I always assumed this was to compensate for the additional weight and load in the front.

In FWD cars, the front is heavier due to the engine and gearbox in the front.

BMW makes weight balance almost 50-50 for the front and rear for better handling. So, weight should not be the reason for this higher pressure. The 330i GT in M Sport has a staggered wheel setup where the rear tires are 245's and the front tires are 225's. This may be the reason for higher pressure in the rear.

EDIT: Adding the scan of the tire pressure recommendation letter I got from BMW. They have filed this on record.

Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT-tire-pressure-recommendations.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by graaja (Post 4426436)
In FWD cars, the front is heavier due to the engine and gearbox in the front.

I realized as soon as my "edit message" window expired, yours is a rear wheel drive so the load on tyres must be higher in the rear.

As most on the thread have already said, the M-Sport suspension is money well spent! Good work, Sir!

The combination of a punchy 4-pot mill, a compliant suspension, decent ground clearance, massive boot space and good interior room, you're now the owner of arguably the best daily driver / highway mile muncher, this side of 50 lakh! Not to mention that it's a stylish car, with little details like the frameless windows and that gorgeous colour! You've really got the whole package now!

Hit me up if you ever chance upon Bangalore city! :D

And for what it's worth, I would suggest you hold off on painting the wheels. The charm of silver wheels will never fade away in my opinion!

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 4426467)
As most on the thread have already said, the M-Sport suspension is money well spent! Good work, Sir!
Hit me up if you ever chance upon Bangalore city! :D

And for what it's worth, I would suggest you hold off on painting the wheels. The charm of silver wheels will never fade away in my opinion!

Thank you for the kind words Suhaas! Sure. Will ping you when I come to Bangalore.

For the alloys, I don't have any immediate plans to change the color. I too like their look as it is. Will be considering to paint only when I get bored with the looks some time in the future.

Installed - M Sport Suspensions in my BMW 330i GT - Posts moved out to a new thread from Graaja's Ownership Thread.

Congrats on the install sir.
Just one query. Did the change in suspension also lead to a change in alignment values? Does m-sport suspension has a different recommended setup for castor, camber and toe?
regards