Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2007, 10:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
This is the problem. Either you should be an expert yourself or else heed the opinions of those who know what they are talking about. Or else, if the guy didn't trust this particular authorized dealer, he should have *promptly* taken the opinion of a dealer he did trust, on this obviously serious matter. Having entrusted the car to a particular dealer, and having gotten their technical advice, he should have acted on it instead of going by what "everyone" said.
I agree with what you said about getting a 2nd opinion. But does it need an expert to know that a petrol engine does not need an overhaul at 39K kms ? Also, from this thread you can see that his is not an isolated case. Others have also reported Santro dealers telling them that their car needs an overhaul at ridiculously low mileage. In one case, just due to dark smoke from the exhaust. To me, this looks like a pre-planned way of fleecing customers.
Old 5th January 2007, 11:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

A relative's santro did have problems at 55k with crankshaft bearings/engine o/h and was told similar stories until he complained to Hyundai regional office
and they fixed it for Rs.4-5k.

Not learning from mistakes, he bought new santro, which overheated in first 1k km coming to my house and he had to leave it overnight. In the morning entire coolant had disappeared! Hyundai fixed it under warranty (thermostat and pump problem) and said engine was ok, but god only knows what life it will now have.
Old 5th January 2007, 11:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

One problem is that HMP has already opened up the engine. They say that they are waiting for some part that is not available currently and has to come from Bombay or so. Now that they have opened up the engine, I am confused as to how to proceed.
You mentioned about Hyundai guys charging 25k labour and 10k for spares.

Tell them you're running short of money & needed to postpone the repair process, ask them how much they charge to refit and handover the car back to you (also while discussing take them into a confidence zone that you will get back the car for repair to the same workshop).

Based on the charge, you decide whether to permit them to continue the repairs or pay the bill for opening up the engine & take the car to a different workshop to get a second opinion
Old 5th January 2007, 11:23   #34
BHPian

I have a march 2000 model Santro DX which has done more than 75K kms. In spite of fair degree of abuse (when I was not around) and a few accident jobs (fender bender types) and bottom scrapes (thanks to Delhi Nainital highway), the car is in pretty good condition. Importantly, the engine of the car has never ever been opened. It has 999 cc 55 bhp engine which was never in league of zen but even after so many years and kms I still shift to 5 gear when I reach 37-40kmph speed. And engine takes it without any shudder or complaint thanks to great low end torque. Around 65K kms, on ***'s advice I got carboclean done. But frankly I did not feel much change after that. Could be because of the reason that most of the times I use Spee which already has engine cleaning additives. Interestingly I did a fair degree of experimenting on last Delhi Nainital trip with Acetone @2ml/litre of petrol and covered more than 1200 kms. It works wonders. Totally revived the power and response characteristics of the engine. Should be switching to regular Acentone usage.

Overhaul at 42K kms for Santro or any other modern car engine is way too less. Until and unless it sufferred a damage in an accident or used highly contaminated fuel or ran it without proper lubrication. White smoke signals excessive engine oil consumption. This could be because of worn piston rings or ruptured oil seals. Black smoke is indicative of excessive fuel burning in combustion chamber. It could be becuase of ECM caliberation related issues or a faulty engine sensor. 42K kms is too less for any possible carbon deposit.

An engine which is a right candidate for overhaul indicates it by means of poor accelaration, rough engine running, excessive oil/fuel cunsumption, smoky exhaust and reduced load pulling characteristics.

Generally *** are in habit of capitalizing on lack of knowledge or indifference on part of customer to force unnecessary and expensive service jobs.

Thanks.
Old 5th January 2007, 11:25   #35
rks
BANNED

Quote:
To me, this looks like a pre-planned way of fleecing customers.
Quite possible. But what can we do about it? We are dependent on their judgement in these matters, not having the expertise ourselves. If we do suspect that some particular dealer is being less than honest, my advice is to not let them know our suspicions. If the car is mid-way in service, just follow their recommendations, get the car back and then go somewhere else. I believe that questioning their competence/honesty while the car is in their hands could be dangerous as it will only provoke more mischief.

And in serious matters concerning engine, one should never delay action, as I am sure, your friend has found out. Normally an engine should not require overhauling at 40 K, but how can we be sure that our car has not been subjected to some abnormal conditions? Black smoke from exhaust of a petrol engine could be due to a minor problem or could be symptomatic of something more serious. Delaying action just because we are suspicious of some dealer's advice looks very dangerous to me. In the case cited in this thread, I believe it was wrong to question a dealer's advice and then go back to the same guys with hints that others are being consulted, etc. What they did to the engine after that, nobody knows.
Old 5th January 2007, 14:14   #36
BHPian

Supreme, for what ever it is worth, ask your friend to complain to Hyundai directly. Since they have already opened up the engine, all we can hope for is the company to do it at a subsidised cost. Let this be an example for all car owners. We need to be more wary in the future.
Old 5th January 2007, 19:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Supreme, for what ever it is worth, ask your friend to complain to Hyundai directly. Since they have already opened up the engine, all we can hope for is the company to do it at a subsidised cost.
That's going to be a tough task. Iam sure they will come out several reasons for not taking the blame, also will be a time consuming affair.
Old 5th January 2007, 19:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Should'nt hyundai parts be coming from Chennai itself and not Mumbai.

How old is this concerned car[may have nothing to do with the concerned problem but just curious]?

Think the best possible strategy is to take the problem up with Hyundai itself,which may not that inconvinient for guys in chennai.
Old 8th January 2007, 10:09   #39
BHPian

Any update?

@SB, so what is the latest? Did you guys take the car out to some other garage?
Old 8th January 2007, 11:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Should'nt hyundai parts be coming from Chennai itself and not Mumbai. How old is this concerned car[may have nothing to do with the concerned problem but just curious]?
I would also expect the parts to come from Chennai. But then maybe one of their vendors is Bombay-based. The car is less than 5 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
@SB, so what is the latest? Did you guys take the car out to some other garage?
He was supposed to go meet them on Saturday and get more details about the work planned on the car. Let me check and get back.
Old 8th January 2007, 11:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would also expect the parts to come from Chennai.
Quote:
But then maybe one of their vendors is Bombay-based.
The car is less than 5 years old.
If hyundai has said that, that would have to be the hottest load of crap that i have ever heard. Hyundai's vendors are all located in & around Chennai. In fact, it is one of their conditions that the vendor should set up a unit closer to them.

Your friend has to find the real reason, since there is no shortage of spares for hyundai, specially engine parts.
Old 8th January 2007, 13:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways
Supreme, for what ever it is worth, ask your friend to complain to Hyundai directly. Since they have already opened up the engine, all we can hope for is the company to do it at a subsidised cost. Let this be an example for all car owners. We need to be more wary in the future.
I have asked him to complain to Hyundai direct.

Latest status :
Since they have opened the engine up, he has decided to let them complete the work. The 1st opinion that he had got from TAFE Access was that one of the cylinders had gone kaput (it failed a compression test). What they said was that the piston got enlarged (due to heat generated by friction created by lack of oil) and could damage the cylinder. Thus the engine needs to be overhauled.
Since HMP also mentioned the same diagnosis, he decided to go ahead with the work. However, he never got a "low oil" warning indicator or "overheated engine" sign from the temp gauge anytime. And he has done all the services on time.
Old 8th January 2007, 14:41   #43
BHPian

A fault not detected by the sensor, does not mean the car engine is perfectly fine..!

Fact : Car is 5 years Old ( I'm def sure No Smart ECU system or basic ECU-MPFI Management)
Fact : Compression Test Failed
Fact : The friend is saved from any major complications ahead.

Maybe his car had an engine issue right from the start, Just that Hyundai A.S.S. Noticed it while carrying out engine repairs, or maybe did notice it earlier but chose not to inform..What your friend should do is, Get in touch with Hyundai and ask them to look into the issue " Claiming Manufacturing Defect in Engine ", most proably he might get some discount on the repair..since the warranty is over+ He had an accident..But no harm in trying.

During last month, I had noticed a 2 month old Turbo D Indica getting the engine overhauled- the Block had some issue. TASC had ordered a new engine altogether for the gentleman and replaced it in 2 days.

A new or old car, Engine issues can develop at any point of time, Altough Majorly I agree that 35,000 km on the Odo is too short for call to overhaul, But anything could go wrong anytime- Be it New,Old, Used or Hardly used.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 8th January 2007 at 14:46.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:37   #44
Team-BHP Support

Guys...

Are santro spares of dubious quality??? My friend has the old santro (not Xing)... His silencer assembly rusts in less than a year... has been replaced twice already, i guess...

The car sounds real sporty for some time due to holes, i think, and then, it has to be replaced...
Old 8th January 2007, 16:57   #45
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys...

Are santro spares of dubious quality??? My friend has the old santro (not Xing)... His silencer assembly rusts in less than a year... has been replaced twice already, i guess...

The car sounds real sporty for some time due to holes, i think, and then, it has to be replaced...
Depends on the place where you stay. My old Santro's silencer and tail pipe lasted for 5 years and was still going strong in Bangalore (although I did only about 12000 kms in that period). When I shifted to Pune in May 2005 and frequently drove to Mumbai, the tail pipe and silencer failed within a year (only one monsoon) due to rusting. But you are right about the sporty performance -- my avatar's speed was achieved with virtually no silencer. Now the local garage guys have fitted another locally made tail pipe and stainless steel silencer which was about Rs 2000/- cheaper than the OEM stuff and comes with 18 months guarantee. Top speed seems to have come down by about 5 kmph after tyre change as well (could be due to speedo error with the taller tread in new tyres, which I am told, can affect speedo readings by 1-2%).

I think if you stay near the sea, do not go for the Hyundai silencer, which is made of MS, comes with no guarantee and will rust within 6 months according to my mechanic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks