Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2007, 23:33   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I think if you stay near the sea, do not go for the Hyundai silencer, which is made of MS, comes with no guarantee and will rust within 6 months according to my mechanic.
Its not a costal area...

However, his place.. there are problems of flooding (temporary)... After rains, the water usually collects for about a day...

may be, thats why...
Old 9th January 2007, 00:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Its not a costal area...

However, his place.. there are problems of flooding (temporary)... After rains, the water usually collects for about a day...

may be, thats why...
I also live in a dry non coastal area where i had to change my zen's exhaust end a couple of times but i think the culprit was the fuel then.....Whereas some of my friends are having the original fittment even after 5 years...
Old 16th January 2007, 19:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Final update :
He got the car back last weekend. Paid 24K for the overhaul. He says the car feels like new now - no jerks on changing gears, no smoke issues etc.

However, while handing over the car, they mentioned 2 other major expenses that he can expect in the near future.
1) They say the alternator can conk off any time. They estimated some 8K for this.
2) They say his a/c compressor has problems - another 15K odd for this.

I dont know how an alternator and a/c compressor need to be replaced within just 5 years. However, for the moment, he is not getting these done.

Meanwhile, he is looking at getting a new car and another Hyundai service centre has offered him 1.9lacs for his Santro. I believe that is a great price for a car that is 4.5 years old and which he bought for 3.8lacs.
Old 16th January 2007, 19:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
1) They say the alternator can conk off any time. They estimated some 8K for this.
Both these parts have no defined life as such. They can fail anytime for eg. the A/c Compressor on my Honda packed up after only 10 months of usage & was replaced under warranty.
Old 16th January 2007, 19:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Paid 24K for the overhaul

Now what can we expect next replace the whole car.

Your friend is having a bad time and I can just imagine his plight, switching over to a newer car may just be the right thing to do[not only because of the above replacements]

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 16th January 2007 at 19:56.
Old 29th April 2007, 21:39   #51
BHPian

Santro engine failure 26000Kms 2 1/2 years crankshaft early repair

[SIZE=2]2 days back, on April 25, 2007 my Hyundai Santro Xing suddenly stopped in the middle of the road. On towing to KUN Hyundai in Mount road, Chennai I was told that the crankshaft has failed. Today I was told that parts of the engine have also failed. My car was purchased in November 2004 and has done only about 26,000 Kms, has had regular services, the last one just 2 weeks ago. There have been no problems with coolant or engine oil levels. They say the repair will be very expensive (more than Rs.35,000, which is more than 10% of the car's on-road price) and can return the car only after another 7 days.

I read about a similar complaint about a Santro purchased in November 2004; the link is below -

Complaints Board | Hyundai Santro Xing

(Posted: 2006-12-05 by Thomsson A Jobin

Crankshaft of my Santro Xing 2004 model is defective

I purchased a Santro xing from Hyundai from a Kerala dealer of Hyundai India. The product did just 28000 kms and its crankshaft failed in just less than two years time and shockingly the company is not acknowledging this fact. I request all Santro Owners who purchased their cars around November 2004 to check their vehicle. I have raised the issue with company and am looking forward to their response on this issue and have not received any response till date.)

I am very surprised that the crankshaft and engine have failed so early. The car was purchased from MPL Hyundai and since they have shut down it is being serviced regularly at KUN Hyundai Chennai; good fuel from popular petrol bunks is used; it is driven sedately in the city of Chennai only.

21st century petrol car engines are designed/ manufactured to last more than 2 lakh kilometers; I am shocked with my bad experience. Would like to hear from others with similar problems.

My email id is [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]DrLMurugan@yahoo.com[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
Murugan
[/SIZE]
Old 18th May 2007, 11:07   #52
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I also have a Nov 2004 Santro Xing XP and it has done 20500 Km. I am not facing any issues in my car. However, after reading about crankshaft failures, I wanted to know if this particular problem has any symtoms? I get my car serviced regularly and don't start it with AC on. Is there anything else that I can do to make sure that I don't face the crankshaft failure problem?
Old 18th May 2007, 11:38   #53
BHPian

Were you facing any similar engine troubles or problems during the warranty period..! You may want to check with filing a Consumer Litigation against the manufacturer, which is surely bound to either get the car engine reworked free or at a good discount offered, No company was Bad publicity- However you need to build a good case and then proceed.

I read somewhere of some case in Delhi, Where MUL was asked to Replace the defective engine of a car, when the user had complained of excessive Oil consumption and FE during his warranty period also, but the problem kept recurring. So after the warranty also it was replaced free as per the Consumer Courts order.
Old 18th May 2007, 12:33   #54
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
Hi Guys,

I also have a Nov 2004 Santro Xing XP and it has done 20500 Km. I am not facing any issues in my car. However, after reading about crankshaft failures, I wanted to know if this particular problem has any symtoms? I get my car serviced regularly and don't start it with AC on. Is there anything else that I can do to make sure that I don't face the crankshaft failure problem?
Its not like the whole of the NOV 2004 batch santros have crankshaft problems. Santro sells in huge numbers and if a complete batch of cars from One month is defective then we would be getting a lot more number of complaints.

I have a Jan 2005 Santro XS with 45K on ODO. Everything is fine....
Old 18th May 2007, 14:44   #55
Team-BHP Support

Yes Santro silencer has a rusting problem. Got a non hyundai one fitted and after that no problems.

As for engine troubles its done 26000 in last 3.5 years, but no issues whatsoever. Of course running is very less, only around 50K the true picture will emerge.
Old 18th May 2007, 15:29   #56
Senior - BHPian

My previous Santro did 1.05L kms before it was sold off. No problems with the engine ever but yes as TSK mentioned silencer rusting is a common problem in Santro/Accent's. It was an Oct '99 car.

My mother's current Santro is an Apr '04 vehicle & has covered 86k kms without any problems at all. It is even on the original clutch but recently the Steering rack has developed a leak in one of the rubber seals so the rack will have to be replaced.
Old 18th May 2007, 15:58   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Here is what my Santro manual says:

If the oil level was low, the low level warning light at the console should have lit up. Maybe it was not functioning.
Why is that???
I can imagine lack of oil being a problem, why should lack of fuel be?
On a couple of occasions I have driven my NHC with low fuel warning light on. No issues. and NHC manual does not say anything like what's quoted here.
Old 18th May 2007, 16:06   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Both these parts have no defined life as such. They can fail anytime for eg. the A/c Compressor on my Honda packed up after only 10 months of usage & was replaced under warranty.
Hi iraghava,
I own an NHC so would like to know...any reason of early compressor failure/any warning signs? How much does the replacement cost (I know myours was in warantee, but just in case you know)?

And does the A/C compressor need any kind of servicing? NHC manual does not say anything...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks