Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 10:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to Improve the Ride Quality -

Are Koni FSD shocks available for entry level sedans? Seems to be a good option even if they are expensive. Last time I checked, cost was around 45K (for a set of four) for the Octavia.
Autocar mag had a review that claimed a noticable improvement in (both!) ride and handling for an Octavia with Koni FSD.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 7th November 2013 at 10:24.
Old 7th November 2013, 10:30   #17
BHPian

Re: How to Improve the Ride Quality - Sx4

Hi People,

The ride quality of Sx4 (D) is absolutely comparable to any B segment car. I honestly did not expect such a poor ride quality from a 10 lac rupee vehicle. The car has done barely 18,000 Kms, but ride quality seems to be of car which has crossed 1 lac kms.

Any inputs to make the ride quality input will be appreciated!

Thanks

Amit
Old 7th November 2013, 10:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi People,

The ride quality of Sx4 (D) is absolutely comparable to any B segment car. I honestly did not expect such a poor ride quality from a 10 lac rupee vehicle. The car has done barely 18,000 Kms, but ride quality seems to be of car which has crossed 1 lac kms.

Thanks

Amit
Do mention the tyre pressures you maintain, front and rear, and the make and model of tyres.
Old 7th November 2013, 10:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Do mention the tyre pressures you maintain, front and rear, and the make and model of tyres.
Hi Buddy,

I normally maintain about 31 psi in front & rear both. The tyres are std. 16 inch crappy JK vectra .

BR

Amit

Last edited by amitpunjani : 7th November 2013 at 10:54.
Old 10th November 2013, 16:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikhanna View Post
I am more than happy with my getz
(power . A/c. FE . Seats )

Regards
IKhanna
You din't let us know, which fuel your car is running. Diesel engines are heavier than petrol. front suspension can be made stiffer if it's diesel.( Using other car's front struts.). Rear spacers ( Readily available.)
Old 11th November 2013, 14:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi People,

Thanks

Amit
SX4 has a stiff suspension setup. That means, pot holes will go unnoticed (relatively) at higher speeds. But at lower speeds, you will feel it entirely. Since this car is build on the crossover platform, i guess Suzuki just retained the suspension setup.

Cars like Verna, Civic have soft suspension. But during highway rides, you tend to bounce when the car hits a pot hole. That's the downside of it. In Citi roads, you will feel like floating when the car goes over a bump or pot hole.

I don't know whether cars here in India have balanced setup except Duster. Unless, you rework the entire suspension, which is obviously going to be a costly, you wont be able to change this. Its just that you may want to change your driving a bit to adjust to car's needs.
sbala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 15:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
SX4 has a stiff suspension setup. That means, pot holes will go unnoticed (relatively) at higher speeds. But at lower speeds, you will feel it entirely. Since this car is build on the crossover platform, i guess Suzuki just retained the suspension setup.

Cars like Verna, Civic have soft suspension. But during highway rides, you tend to bounce when the car hits a pot hole. That's the downside of it. In Citi roads, you will feel like floating when the car goes over a bump or pot hole.

I don't know whether cars here in India have balanced setup except Duster. Unless, you rework the entire suspension, which is obviously going to be a costly, you wont be able to change this. Its just that you may want to change your driving a bit to adjust to car's needs.
Cheers buddy for the explanation! I do agree with your stated points. Its just the suspension which is the downside of the car, else the car is absolutely superb.

BR

Amit
Old 11th November 2013, 15:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoussie View Post
Hi Guys,
I needed help on the same topic. I have an eight and half year old indica, which has done 31000 kms. Maximum speed that we drive at is 70-80 kmph. The car is running on Apollo Accelere 165/65 R13 tubeless tires, which are three years old and have done 5000 kms. All four sides Suspension was changed in 2010 due to noise.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.
I've been getting to drive a Manza since last couple of months and hence i think i understand your problem here. Rest the solutions aside, This car has aged no matter how good or bad. Keep it parked and buy a new one. 8 year old tata would fetch you much in the market anyways. But if you are particular about modifying this car, then take to an after market and change suspension and tyres. cost of which might just be as much as the car is worth. No one on team-bhp will recommend you to do that
Old 5th March 2015, 02:06   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Sorry for bumping into an old thread.
My family has a 2006 Wagon-R. It is used by me and my dad whenever he is in India.
The car runs on Yokohama Earth1 tyres 155/65 R13 and the suspension was overhauled (both front and rear) 5 months back. But the ride quality is terrible. I mean we can literally feel every small undulation on the road. I did sit in other Wagon-R's of similar era and found them no different. This car satisfies all our requirements apart from the ride quality. Is there anything that can be done about the ride quality? addition of any coil spacers/adjusters? Will putting in 14' rims with bigger tyres make any difference?

Thanks in advance,

Asit
Old 5th March 2015, 02:21   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Is there anything that can be done about the ride quality? addition of any coil spacers/adjusters? Will putting in 14' rims with bigger tyres make any difference?
Hey,

1) Is it the OEM specification of tyres put on?

2) Are you maintaining the right 'Cold' tyre pressures in all tyres?

An over-inflated set will have a bone jarring ride same goes with lower profile tyres.
Old 5th March 2015, 02:35   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hey,

1) Is it the OEM specification of tyres put on?

2) Are you maintaining the right 'Cold' tyre pressures in all tyres?

An over-inflated set will have a bone jarring ride same goes with lower profile tyres.

Hey Anurag,

1. Yup that's the OEM specification for the tyres on the vxi variant.

2. Yes I do maintain the correct tyre pressure I.e 31. Tried different combinations like 32-31 or 33 all around. Nothing helps in improving the ride quality.

Asit
Old 6th March 2015, 23:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Sorry for bumping into an old thread.
My family has a 2006 Wagon-R. It is used by me and my dad whenever he is in India.
The car runs on Yokohama Earth1 tyres 155/65 R13 and the suspension was overhauled (both front and rear) 5 months back. But the ride quality is terrible. I mean we can literally feel every small undulation on the road. I did sit in other Wagon-R's of similar era and found them no different. This car satisfies all our requirements apart from the ride quality. Is there anything that can be done about the ride quality? addition of any coil spacers/adjusters? Will putting in 14' rims with bigger tyres make any difference?

Thanks in advance,

Asit
Hello BHPian

Please clarify me on the below points for my better understanding

Your statement - "I did sit in other Wagon-R's of similar era and found them no different"
My understanding - Does it mean your WagonR & the other WagonR's ride quality is similar?

If Yes it could be the product complaint.

If No
1. Just changing the brand of tyre keeping the size constant will not make the case terrible.
2. 14 inch rims will definitely worsen your ride quality since you have not done it's not a case to worry.
3. Check the struts & coil spring assembly along with bushes on both front & rear. Also check the ride height ( Height from bottom of tyre to top of wheel arch) and compare it with other wagonR.

I have summarized things based on my understanding and knowledge. Any other BHPian's value addition is welcome. Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 10:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

when you go for wheel alignment, ask them to *retorque the control arms* both lower and upper for all 4 wheels. Then come back and report.
Old 21st July 2016, 13:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

Pardon me for reviving an old thread.

I have an Alto Lxi, 2009 model and driven for 81000 km. I drive about 70-80 Km's a day through mixed traffic conditions. The daily drive comprises 50 km's of very light traffic and the rest varies from medium to very heavy traffic with non-existent roads in a few stretches.

The car is on its second set of shoes (swapped to stock sized Bridgestone B290 at 47K km's). The lower arms and suspension bush kit were replaced during the last service at 70K km's. But there is no substantial improvement in the ride quality. The drive is still very uncomfortable and bumpy. This is resulting in a lower back discomfort. The same drive in a fiesta is less tiresome.

I am currently in a dilemma to upgrade from the alto or retain it by improving the ride quality to a good extent.

Could you please suggest the various means to improve the ride quality? Tyre up size? Change the seat padding? Etc.

Thanks & drive safe.

P.S.: I have never driven another alto to compare with mine.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 21st July 2016 at 13:21. Reason: Added post script
Old 21st July 2016, 13:28   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post

Could you please suggest the various means to improve the ride quality? Tyre up size? Change the seat padding.
What are the tyre pressures you maintain and how frequent do you keep a check on them?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks