Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2018, 21:40   #1
BANNED

How to deal with bad potholes?

Happy Gandhi Jayanti to everyone!

I currently drive Honda Amaze (2015 version), before which I drove Maruti Dzire and Hyundai Santro.

All of these cars have very poor dealing with potholes. Even when I reduce the speed to 10kmph, I feel the potholes very badly (on my back and my testicles, yes I have health issues). I live in a place which is full of bad (deep) potholes.

What is the solution to this pothole problem? Is there something that I can modify / upgrade in Honda Amaze? Something like air-suspension or something? If not, which are the best cars under 15L for such potholes?
mr.mehra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to deal with bad potholes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mehra View Post
What is the solution to this pothole problem?
1) Check if the tires are over inflated, try reducing few psi
2) Tire upsize could give an marginal improvement

Quote:
Is there something that I can modify / upgrade in Honda Amaze? Something like air-suspension or something?
I'm not sure if after market suspension (like TEIN, KW, etc) are available for amaze.
Regarding Air suspension, I don't say it's not possible, but it's neither practical nor reliable. Cost will be more than the cost of a brand new amaze.

Quote:
which are the best cars under 15L for such potholes?
TD the compact SUVs
Mr.Boss is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

I don’t think you can get any after market solutions for this problem in Amaze. Most aftermarket solutions make the suspensions stiffer for better handling.

You could test drive the S Cross. Though I do not have first hand experience with this car, I have heard very good reviews on how the suspension handles bad roads, which should solve your problem.
graaja is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

One of the important things is not to brake in to the potholes (where the max speed reduction happens when you are hitting the pot-hole). Rather, slow down before you reach the pothole and gently glide over the pothole.
Guna is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 23:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
What is the solution to this pothole problem? Is there something that I can modify / upgrade in Honda Amaze? Something like air-suspension or something? If not, which are the best cars under 15L for such potholes?
If it's a health issue, and not just general ride comfort, I guess you need something that is far better riding than an Amaze. In my opinion, there is not going to be a marked difference, for you, in the ride quality between cars within your budget. You could try the Duster which reportedly has a better ride than the other cars.

Alternatively, you should try and garner support from your neighborhood and get the authorities to repair the roads in your area.

Else, move out to another place for some time until your condition improves. Back problems need to be dealt with carefully or it could paralyse you completely. Like I said ride quality will not be vastly different between these cars. Large pot holes will throw you around if taken at speed whether you are in an Amaze or a Duster. Only difference being you could carry slightly more speed in a Duster than in your Amaze.

Test drive a few cars over the same roads and see if any of them suit you better.
SCORPION is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 23:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
What is the solution to this pothole problem? Is there something that I can modify / upgrade in Honda Amaze?
After market solutions won't help improve the ride quality of Amaze.

Most practical solution would be to find alternate routes with less potholes for daily commute, even if its more distance.

Quote:
If not, which are the best cars under 15L for such potholes?
Try a test drive in Renault Duster, which have a reputation for good ride quality. Make sure to take the test drive on the same roads you travel regularly.

Last edited by Flyer : 2nd October 2018 at 23:52.
Flyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 02:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there something that I can modify / upgrade in Honda Amaze?
Upgrading to a Duster feels apt for the situation you are in. It is a higher-segment car renowned for its ride quality. But this is where it ends.

I assume the problem you have is with the movement, the jerks inside the car when it goes into potholes. The Duster, although better as compared to Amaze, wouldn't be drastically different. You'll still feel some uneasiness even though the car glides over bad roads. For this slight improvement, I don't think it is worth to invest in what is otherwise a terribly outdated car.

However, you can go ahead with the Duster if your health issues warrant a car change.

If you wish to retain the Amaze, try improving the seat itself. I've seen how poorly cushioned seats Honda offers in the Amaze (same as Brio right?). Visit Honda ASC and find out if it is possible to swap the driver's seat with that of a higher segment car. Honda City, Toyota Innova, Maruti Swift - all have much better driver seats, for example.

Add a nice and thick seat cover over the seats. Request for two or more layers of high-density foam to be placed on the driver seat before fitting seat covers. You can also get a soft cushion made to be placed over the seat while driving. All this will improve your comfort by a fair margin.

If you wish, you can downsize rims to 13-inch and opt for higher profile tyres (taller sidewall = better ride). This will give slight but noticeable improvement. Stay away from aftermarket suspension parts. The last thing you'd want in your car is messed up dynamics.

Lastly, try negotiating potholes in such a way that the right side of the car (i.e. your side) goes through the smoothest part even if it involves a bit of moving around.

Before changing the 3-year-old car, you can give these steps a try. It would cost nothing in front of a new Duster.

Last edited by self_driven : 3rd October 2018 at 02:20.
self_driven is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 02:56   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
One of the important things is not to brake in to the potholes (where the max speed reduction happens when you are hitting the pot-hole). Rather, slow down before you reach the pothole and gently glide over the pothole.
Came here to say the same.

Braking when encountering potholes compromises the suspension travel resulting in more shock being transferred to the chassis and eventually to you.

Personally I just drop speed by dropping the gears.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 07:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
If you wish to retain the Amaze, try improving the seat itself.
Add a nice and thick seat cover over the seats. Request for two or more layers of high-density foam to be placed on the driver seat before fitting seat covers. You can also get a soft cushion made to be placed over the seat while driving. All this will improve your comfort by a fair margin.

If you wish, you can downsize rims to 13-inch and opt for higher profile tyres.
Very valid points suggested here and you should give this a try as this is probably your cheapest option.

Larger profile tyres, coupled with slightly lower tyre pressure can improve the ride to some extent.

Additional cushioning will help minimize the shock transferred to you while providing a comfortable resting place for your 'family jewels'.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 08:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Among the few cars I drive regularly, I find my Honda City to be the worst when dealing with potholes. Horrible, was yelled at by my wife so many times even though I drive carefully

It's very difficult to fix Amaze. It's not your driving style. If the wheel takes a dip, you get a shock. That's how it is with my city.

I have a Fabia with tires in higher profile (because Michelin didn't have the OEM spec) and it's wonderful. It's day and night difference. Prior to that I had Opel Corsa which was amazing.

Pick a car from European brands that is known for good ride. Change the tires to higher profile (very important). Use 28-29psi. Don't brake into the pothole like others suggested. You will surely feel the difference.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 08:11   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Amaze doesn't have bad ride quality per se. But yes, if this is your top priority, next time open up a 'What Car' thread. We'd help you buy a pre-owned Duster / Terrano for the same money.

For now:

1. Downsize your wheels and get tyres with larger sidewalls. It'll transform your ride. Go for comfort-oriented tyres. E.g. if your car currently has 15" rims, go for 14".

2. Get your seat cushioning beefed up in the after-market. The Amaze has basic seats. This will also contribute to the problem you are facing. Get nice front seats made by an expert upholstery chap.

3. Keep the tyre pressure a bit lower in the city. Not ideal, but it'll solve your bigger problem.

4. Go real, real slow on potholes. Crawl over them. Since it's a familiar route, slow down well in advance. Also consider alternate routes that are better paved.

Importantly, go visit a doctor and get your health problems fixed. Also, work out & strengthen your body.

Best car under 15 lakhs for bad roads = Duster / Terrano.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2018 at 08:13.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 08:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well, fixing the back problem would be my first priority, although it completely depends on the gravity and complexity of the problem my wife and my sister both tried Dr Vijay Sarvottam (http://www.drsarvotham.com/). His acupressure technique has helped both immensely.

I am not sure if he has a clinic in Delhi, but asking or connecting with him he might point you to the right direction.

My wife was able to drive, my sister was not able to move (Forget driving) without pain before the treatment. Both drive cars reasonably regularly now.

Apart from that looking at t a different car as others have suggested might help, but i would give treatment priority one.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 09:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Best car under 15 lakhs for bad roads = Duster / Terrano.
Similarly, wouldn't the Kwid qualify on a lower budget. I have found it to have very good ride quality over bad roads. But I would never suggest it for highway use as it's a very unsafe car.

The best solution would be this (if it's even possible)

BOSE Ride System

OR

Target the problem from another angle.

Consulting a doctor should be the first option though.

Last edited by samaspire : 3rd October 2018 at 09:23.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 09:43   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you really have a health problem, no amount of ‘fixing’ to your current car will solve it.

Buy a Duster and drive at 25psi. Your back will thank you for it.
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:25   #15
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2018 at 11:18.
Flyer is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks