Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2007, 13:04   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
how DID you manage to squeeze in 7 people in a wagon r.
I second this, kudos for squeezing in 6 people ( discounting the kid) that itself is a real big deal....
Old 20th January 2007, 13:41   #17
BHPian

Prasanth,

I had a Wagon R which used to face the same problem. 1 st to 2nd was always tough, gradually I got used to the gears. When ever any of my friends drive my Wagon R, they always had the same problem. Once you get used, you can change the gears with a couple of fingers. Also On highways I face the problem thay the gears get slipped when I hit a speed breaker very fast. Usually when i drive Corsa/Accent I ignore the small rumblers, but if I do that in Wagon R the gear gets slipped and the RPM hits high ! Guys anyone faced the same problem with the Wagon R?
Old 22nd January 2007, 22:03   #18
BHPian

hey abhilash , you are absolutely right i had experience this problem of gear getting slipped once when i hit a speed breaker .. Regarding the gear box of my car its getting better i took it to the dealer and he had the same feed back that after 2 nd service it will get better.
After driving around bit i got used to gear box . other than that car is awesome ...perfect value for money.
Old 23rd January 2007, 15:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

I use an almost brand new Wagon R from my office and it takes a lot of effort to

a) Shift into 1st gear when the car is still, irrespective of whether the engine is running or not. It goes smoothly only when you you are decelerating in second gear, and shift into 1st.

b) Shift into reverse gear

As if that wasn't enough, now the newest problem is that whether the aircon is on or not, there is a belt screeching noise which comes and goes. Goes usually when I depress the clutch fully. This is damn irritating and embarassing (it's louder than the music system! ). Any ideas? In my older car, this used to happen when the bloke washing my car put some water on the fan or ac belt, but it would go away after some running. This doesn't.
Old 29th May 2007, 11:09   #20
BANNED

[COLOR=black]I have been driving the new wagon r vxi for 10 months now, gears felt a bit notchy earlier. Got it checked from various service centers they said the gears would settle once I have clocked enough kms on my odo. Now after nearly 10000 kms they seem to be fine now. I don’t know whether it is me getting used to the gear shift or what. I suggest not to fiddle with the gearbox or the clutch.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Bass&trouble : Yes I have the same problem of screeching belt noise, but it is when the engine is cold and I turn on the A/C. But as the temperature increases the noise is gone. Anyways would get it checked once I go for 3rd free service which is due. Would tell you what explanation the mechanics give for this noise.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Another problem that I face is the vulnerability of the bonnet getting dented. The front face of the bonnet I lacking strength and is getting small dents. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Also, as i have the VXi version with electric door mirrors somebody tried to steal it, although was not able to do so but in an attempt broke the cover below the mirror (which covers the nut bolt) . I'm not able to find it anywhere as it is different in LXi model and maruti guys tell me the whole assembly will have to be changed costing 7500 /- :( No clues what will I do now. Ant suggestions would be a help.[/COLOR]
Old 26th April 2008, 20:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantk007 View Post
Hi Team-bhpn's,
This is my first post here, I got a new wagonr vxi last week . After driving around a bit i feel that the gear box is not very refined. I have problems shifting reverse gear and shifting from first to second at times . I have been driving a santro before this.

I am not sure this problem is specific to my car or its a know issue with the new wagonr's . Is there any body here who is facing the same . I just want to make sure about this before i go and speak to the dealer.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hi guys,
My first post here, if any mistakes please excuse me.
As mentioned above, regarding the shifting problem, I have noticed a some what similar problem after starting the vehicle in the morning, run for a few kilometres and there is no problem. shifting as mentioned in the new wagon r, is perhaps similar with all wagon r vehicles sold till now. mine is lx 2005 model bought 4 months back from a true value outlet. A minor suggestion from me. Whenever you first take your vehicle out, try shifting first to reverse and then the first gear to proceed. it worked in my vehicle. just give a check. even though its like compromising with problem, but what can be done when all the vehicles are having the same. if not satisfied drop in to the dealership and have your vehicle checked and please let us know what are the results.
Old 28th April 2008, 10:31   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have noticed a some what similar problem after starting the vehicle in the morning, run for a few kilometres and there is no problem.
The WagonR isn't known to have the best gearshift. However, this morning syndrome is applicable to most cars. Simply put, once you drive a couple of kms, the oil will warm up / spread and lubricate the gearbox better.
Old 28th April 2008, 14:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Simply put Wagon-R has the worst gearbox among all the small cars... so its not a problem with your car.... its chronic to Wagon-R.
Old 9th May 2008, 13:05   #24
BHPian

Help! Wagon-R gear box issue

Problem#1:
My 16-month old Wagon-R complted 25000 km. Last month, I drove to Chittor from Hyderabad to attend my friend's marriage and returned almost same day (total 1300 km in 30 hours). When I almost reached Hyderabad, the gears were not engaging at all. After one hour, I tried to engage the reverse gear, and was able to do with a hard push, and was able to slot the gears with very difficulty. Drove the rest of 50 km without changing the gears much. The next day (after 20 hours), I drove the car without any gear-shifting problems for a distance but again the problem occured while taking the car to the Service Station. The problem did not occur at the service station, and they told me everything was fine. When I asked what could be the problem, is there any problem with gear box, they said nothing, and if the pressure plate wears out, the problem should persist, which is not the case with my car. They said every thing will be fine, and if the problem recurs we will check the gearbox then.

I drove the car in the city for almost a month, and never faced the problem again, though the gearshifting is a bit rought than previous. Now I am planning to go for a long-drive next month, I am skeptical that this problem may recur and what if it occurs in the drive? I would like the experts to give me a vlauble suggestion.

Problem #2:
I have changed the rear axle once due to slight bend in the rear axle. Now the car sways a lot, like a boat on water, with even slight uneven surfaces. The service people say everything is fine, but I know something is not exactly right with the suspension (I have checked wheel-balancing as well as wheel alignment). Would like to know why this is happening.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th May 2008, 15:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry I am using your thread to address my "problem" as my also revolves around the gear box.

I have a Dec 2006 WagonR completing 32000kms. I notice that to engage the gears I really have to almost shove the stick hard. Otherwise sometimes it doesn't engage properly which is accompanied by the horrible mechanical grinding noise. Also when I try to engage the reverse gear after the car has been parked (i.e. parked in neutral and switched off) it is always accompanied by that grinding noise as if it's being told to do what it's not supposed to do??

I have been driving (legally) for more than 12 yrs and this car is the only one which gives this "problem". Dont remember this problem which my old Zen or my dad's OHC VTEC which has done more than 100000kms.
Old 10th May 2008, 08:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Problem#1:
My 16-month old Wagon-R complted 25000 km. Last month, I drove to Chittor from Hyderabad to attend my friend's marriage and returned almost same day (total 1300 km in 30 hours). When I almost reached Hyderabad, the gears were not engaging at all. After one hour, I tried to engage the reverse gear, and was able to do with a hard push, and was able to slot the gears with very difficulty. Drove the rest of 50 km without changing the gears much. The next day (after 20 hours), I drove the car without any gear-shifting problems for a distance but again the problem occured while taking the car to the Service Station. The problem did not occur at the service station, and they told me everything was fine. When I asked what could be the problem, is there any problem with gear box, they said nothing, and if the pressure plate wears out, the problem should persist, which is not the case with my car. They said every thing will be fine, and if the problem recurs we will check the gearbox then.

I drove the car in the city for almost a month, and never faced the problem again, though the gearshifting is a bit rought than previous. Now I am planning to go for a long-drive next month, I am skeptical that this problem may recur and what if it occurs in the drive? I would like the

Thanks in advance.
Can somebody interpret why this happened
Old 21st February 2017, 11:51   #27

Re: Wagon R Gear box problems

I have a 2004 Wagon R LXi. As others have stated above the gear shift was a bit clumsy but we got used to it. I have now completed 69,000 Km and find that the gear shift has become harder than before. The main problem is from Neutral to first and from 3rd to 4th and vice versa. All the other shifts are relatively fine.

I took it to the Maruti Service Centre and they "adjusted" the clutch settings telling me that if this does not solve the problem, the clutch plate will have to be changed, an estimate of Rs.9,500. I don't quite understand why the clutch plate is the victim here since the car is smooth in acceleration even on inclines. My car mostly runs on highways, hardly in the city, so it is unlikely that the clutch could wear out in 69K km. The Service centre has recently changed the gear oil and Engine oil.

Is there any method whereby owners can confirm whether it is actually a clutch problem or some other problem with the gear box ?
Old 21st February 2017, 12:35   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokky View Post
I have a 2004 Wagon R LXi. As others have stated above the gear shift was a bit clumsy but we got used to it. I have now completed 69,000 Km and find that the gear shift has become harder than before. The main problem is from Neutral to first and from 3rd to 4th and vice versa. All the other shifts are relatively fine.

I took it to the Maruti Service Centre and they "adjusted" the clutch settings telling me that if this does not solve the problem, the clutch plate will have to be changed, an estimate of Rs.9,500. I don't quite understand why the clutch plate is the victim here since the car is smooth in acceleration even on inclines. My car mostly runs on highways, hardly in the city, so it is unlikely that the clutch could wear out in 69K km. The Service centre has recently changed the gear oil and Engine oil.

Is there any method whereby owners can confirm whether it is actually a clutch problem or some other problem with the gear box ?
A couple of questions
-How old is the gear oil??
-Can you check its condition and revert back?? I have seen breather hose plug missing in many cars, causing the gearoil to deteriorate.

Now coming to the solution
-Even if they have adjusted the clutch settings, kindly cross-check the free play of the clutch pedal. It should be within the recommended range(specified in the owners manual)
- IIRC, the 2004 WagonR has link rods based gear shifting(and not cable ones). Mechanics adjust and lubricate the linkages under the car and this solves the issue.
-Since the gearshift is hard only in some gears, it can be synchronizer issue.

I also doubt the Rs.9,500 estimate. I asked my SA, and he said if both clutch and pressure plate is bad, then clutch overhaul costs 3k.

Part number of Cutch set for Wagon R(Different part nos because of different vendor)

22011M67K00-CLUTCH SET(WAGON R)==Rs.2170
22011M67K40-CLUTCH SET(WAGON-R)==Rs.1800

Labour charge at my MASS is Rs.850

Even after changing the bearing which carries part no 23265M79F40 and costs Rs. 580, the total amount will never cross Rs.4000 in any case.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 15:24   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
A couple of questions
-How old is the gear oil??
-Can you check its condition and revert back?? I have seen breather hose plug missing in many cars, causing the gearoil to deteriorate.
It has been changed on 1st February 2017.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 21st February 2017 at 15:44. Reason: Fixed quoted post.
Old 21st February 2017, 18:05   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokky View Post
It has been changed on 1st February 2017.
Great!! Kindly check if it has plug on top of breather hose or not, and the rest of the stuff I have mentioned in my previous post.

This is how the breather hose plug looks. That pipe should have a plug on top.
Wagon R Gear box problems-20170117_165506a.jpg

Part number and arrangement
Wagon R Gear box problems-capture.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks