Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2019, 16:23   #61
BHPian

Re: Pain in left leg while driving. Is the AT responsible?

I bought a XUV 500 AT the last month. I remember my first drive to my office, about 9 Km, I felt lifeless in my left leg when I got out. I got the same feeling when I was going back home in the evening. I attributed this to my leg being motionless for about half an hour. I now keep moving my leg away from the dead pedal, at times pushing the dead pedal or crossing my left leg on the seat. The drive although is supremely comfortable but that lifeless sensation in my leg is worrisome.

My first AT was however in 2008 and drove until 2010 back in the US. I never felt this sensation while driving there, maybe because I used to walk a lot too while I have a sedentary lifestyle here in Delhi.

I might be wrong, a doctor is qualified to answer these queries but I got to know that what I feel while driving an AT is not unusual and is experienced by others too.
Old 13th May 2019, 16:44   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting, I have not faced this 'issue' in my left leg's 3.5 years of freedom from the clutch. I have a commute of about 1 hour each way with a varied traffic, and the DSG Octavia has a nice ergonomic dead pedal to rest my foot on.

I seldom move my left leg as I am especially careful to 'lock' my left foot into the Octavia's dead pedal area. This is because I sometimes drive my manual Creta, and the last thing I want to do is to cause a rear-ending when back in the Octavia by pressing the brake thinking its the 'clutch'!
Old 13th May 2019, 17:31   #63
BHPian

I have moved to AT after driving MT for more than 23 years.

On long drive like Pune to Goa, I also experienced the above phenomenon. In MT vehicle I could drive almost non-stop for 7-8 hours without any issue. With AT After driving for 3 to 4 hours there is an urge to stop due to uneasiness in left leg. Stopping for 10-15 minutes and walking around helps get rid of it. I suspect it is issue of left leg being idle for while.

Kind of Happy to know that I am not alone with this experience. May be I should try to keep left leg in bit action, shifting it back and forth every 10-15 minutes.
CANPUSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 03:06   #64

Took the delivery of Vento DSG a month ago and was experiencing severe pain in my right knee since then. I was suspecting the low seating position of the sedan and the hard accelerator pedal. After a long comparison with my S-cross MT which i never had issues driving,I finally figured out the reason for my right knee pain. It was the angle and the height from the floor at which the brake and the accelerator were placed. While driving the S-cross i was gently pressing the accelerator with a 10 degree tilt in the ankle and while driving the vento I was pushing the almost vertically placed accelerator with almost a 75 degree tilt in the ankle. Need to work out a solution to change the pedal height and angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Pain in left leg while driving. Is the AT responsible?-img_20190519_002243.jpg  

Pain in left leg while driving. Is the AT responsible?-img_20190519_002036.jpg  

sailukitta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 09:23   #65
Senior - BHPian

Those complaining of left leg sensations and lower back problems please consult a neurosurgeon/neurologist. Preferably the latter as the former would like to take a look inside

Do not ignore radiating pain or tingling sensation on your legs, it could be an indication of sciatic nerve compression in your vertebrae. These are posture and lifestyle issues, your car is probably not to blame.

Of course it may not be that - only a doctor can comment. But I speak from personal experience - I have 16 stitches up my spine to show for it. Nowadays it’s all keyhole surgery - day surgery in most cases except the really bad ones.

Last edited by Steeroid : 19th May 2019 at 09:25.
Steeroid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 13:49   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
Hi. Remove your wallet from your back pocket before you sit in the drivers seat(assuming that you use one) and keep it in the dash or some place you'd remember to take out from after you reach your destination. Also check the seat for bumps or un eveness.
Have been doing this from ages now. Atleast 20 years. I never put my wallet in my back pocket anytime while i sit.
Old 25th August 2019, 23:22   #67
BHPian

Not sure this is the right thread. I'm having pain on my right foot. After 1hr drive or so, I feel pain on toe and bridge of my right foot. To get some relief, while waiting on traffic signal, I will be resting my foot on the floor(no pain while resting on the floor) and will be doing some up and down toe movements. But after a few seconds it starts to pain again. Surprisingly no issues on left foot though. Planning to visit a physiotherapist. Anyone else experienced this?
Old 21st September 2019, 17:06   #68
BHPian

i drive manual Vento for close to 4 yrs (previously Santro for 7years) and in the recent couple of months my right leg get numbness and tingling sensation in my right leg soon after i start driving.These symptoms start extending to my right side of chest till the face at intermittent times. i had consulted a neurologist, he did clinical examination, Vitamin B12 test and Nerve conduction study and all of their results were normal, he is suspecting Sciatic nerve getting punched somewhere leading to these symptoms. He had prescribed me Nuhenz and maxmala every day for 1 month after which if same symptoms persist, i may need to do a MRI. But however i anticipate that MRI also may not locate the exact cause of issue as i dont have a lower back pain.

Changing my seating position either higher or lower sometimes helps but i could not arrive a clear pattern, i also suspect the high angle elevation of brake pedals which puts pressure on my ankle when i move maneuver my leg between brake and accelerator pedal.

Are there any recommendation for a cushion for my seat in vento, Any other thoughts?
Old 22nd November 2019, 15:21   #69
BHPian

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/delh...w/72175695.cms

This is scary!
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 15:52   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
How is this different than just having a desk job? Linking this illness to automatic cars is really scare mongering.

In USA, 99% of the cars are automatics and they have 10 times or more cars than India. If the above news was true, they would have banned all automatics in USA because of the risk.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 16:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
DVT has been a threat for ages, but not on a large scale, it's especially bad for those who do long haul flights. Automatic cars are probably the least risky in this regard, if you use cruise control, you can stretch your legs and relax without constant strain of accelerator input.

Automatic or not, you have to take breaks frequently , your body isn't designed to drive non stop.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 16:16   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Automatic or not, you have to take breaks frequently , your body isn't designed to drive non stop.
+1
Automatic or manual does not matter much. Taking rest and keeping oneself hydrated is most important. Secondary factors are lifestyle related like long hours of work, TV, mobile phones, and off course the food that we eat.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 17:00   #73
BANNED

I find the story confusing. Unless you have an iron bladder you have to take a break every two-three hours. The walking to the toilet and back will relax any problems.
Old 22nd November 2019, 17:07   #74
BHPian

A very interesting topic indeed and prompted me to respond to this thread with my experience.

As most of the members mentioned, this is a medical issue and NOT a mechanical one. Mobility (or the lack of it) is the issue to be blamed and corrected. I personally make an effort to be active, as I am in the IT industry as well. But during the last year, there was a time when I used to do a lot of airtravel in the JAPAC region and that started to show it's impact. I started to feel the pain in the same area of L5-S1 and pain radiating to the thighs, i could hardly sit. I was convinced that i had a disc bulge, when I had to cut short my trip to Tokyo and return back to get an MRI done. Only I know how I survived that 12 hour flight from Tokyo. MRI reports show little abnormalities and my Ortho was not very concerned. But, the pain was there and real.

After a lot of self reading and analysis it was pointed to something called Piriformis syndrome. Please do google on this one. I started on some specific hip stability and stretching exercises from a renowned person in bangalore and within 2 weeks , i was back in the badminton court jumping and diving. Some of the issues i am reading here in this thread could be because of this and physiotherapy can get you back to active life. Never miss a day without some stretching/yoga for 30mins atleast. Target your hip and lower back area for mobility and strengthening. Keep MOVING all day long

Back issues are fully treatable/reversible without surgery if necessary precautions are taken and lifestyle changes inducted into the daily routine. Hope my experience give hope to others and we all get to enjoy our life to the maximum

Last edited by r0ckstar.1 : 22nd November 2019 at 17:09. Reason: Correction
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 18:17   #75
BHPian

Looks like there can be a problem:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/72175695.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks