Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2019, 15:24   #1
Team-BHP Support

F‑Protekkt : Automatic fire extinguisher for the engine bay

To prevent loss of life or car due to automotive fires, a company called "Deccaleap Technologies" has introduced a product called F‑Protekkt - an automatic fire extinguisher. The company claims that this device detects the fire and extinguishes it by releasing a gas contained within it.

F-Protekkt is a self activating device that is fitted under the bonnet of a car. This enables it to detect a fire inside the engine bay and put it out at the source itself. This means the fire does not spread into the cabin of the car and cause harm to the occupants as shown in the images below.

F‑Protekkt : Automatic fire extinguisher for the engine bay-how_it_works1.png

F‑Protekkt : Automatic fire extinguisher for the engine bay-how_it_works2.png

F‑Protekkt : Automatic fire extinguisher for the engine bay-how_it_works4.png

The device measures 2.1 m in length. It activates at a temperature of 120 degrees Centigrade and has an activation pressure of 16 bars.

Price (including GST) = Rs. 9,040 (approximately).

Here's a video showing how F-Protekkt works:

At present, Deccaleap Technologies has appointed distributors in Pune and Thane. The company plans to establish a chain of 13 distributors all over Maharashtra before venturing into other states in India.

For more information, contact:

Deccaleap Technologies
32/1,Behind Relax Hotel, Chintamani Park Road, Old Kharadi-Mundhwa Road, Tukaram Nagar, Kharadi, Pune,
Maharashtra - 411014.
Mobile: +91 8600147315
Email: info@deccaleap.com

Last edited by GTO : 23rd November 2019 at 10:42. Reason: Updating video link as older one was taken offline
Aditya is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 16:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: F‑Protekkt : Automatic fire extinguisher for the engine bay

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Old 8th April 2019, 16:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

The device looks simple enough, but isnt 120 degrees too low for a car bonnet? This will trigger even in case of radiator failure without the fire.
2000rpm is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 16:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

The idea seems very good and in the right direction. Being in the merchant navy, we have auto fire fighting systems almost everywhere. But those systems are tried and tested, and manufacturers have learnt from their past mistakes and experiences. Here also I feel we need more research before it is implemented. If for any reason it gets activated, it my damage important parts of the engine. Will insurance cover it ?
Nevertheless this is going in the right direction and can become a permanent feature of cars in the near future if the government takes keen interest.
In addition, considering the price it may not become that popular.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 8th April 2019 at 16:19.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 16:42   #5
Team-BHP Support

I have seen F-Protekkt ads in car magazines. However, it is unclear as to what it exactly does. Website https://www.fprotekkt.com/ has no information. Even the Youtube video just says "If temperature reaches 120 degrees, my work begins. Tadaa!"

I'm curious to know how it works because fire can start anywhere in the engine bay. Does this system cover the entire area?

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th April 2019 at 16:43.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 17:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I'm curious to know how it works because fire can start anywhere in the engine bay. Does this system cover the entire area?

The system will activate at 120 degrees, that's what is described.
However for any fire to survive, the fire triangle has to be fulfilled. Even if at least one item is killed, the fire can be extinguished.

F‑Protekkt : Automatic fire extinguisher for the engine bay-1920pxfire_triangle.svg.png

In case of the engine fire, if the engine is still running the air intake is taking in fresh air inside the engine, so air cannot be eliminated unless the engine is switched off. Even when the engine is switched off the engine compartment is not fully closed or isolated, so again air cannot be 100% eliminated.

The system has to be quick enough to extinguish the fire before other factors come into effect.

I hope for the best.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 8th April 2019 at 17:02.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 17:35   #7
BHPian

Well following is my take on this after a quick visit to their website & Online Research -

1) The company (Deccaleap) is part of Deccan Water Treatment Pvt Ltd source their own website & address that they share.

2) This is their only product which looks like they are new in the field not sure of any research they have done. They should actually share insights into the kind of research they have done.

3) They list out very less information about how does it actually work ? What are the materials used ? E.g if the windshield is broken and some of the stuff gets into the cabin will it be harmful for occupants ?

4) They have placed a very basic animation video, ideally real life videos of how it functions and some test case scenarios should be made available

I would stay away until some of these facts are made available, or any endorsement from reputed manufacturer. Well I like new ideas but implementation or actual success of such things is a big question.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th April 2019 at 17:48. Reason: Removing additional space in paragraph breaks. Thanks
freak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 18:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
I would stay away until some of these facts are made available, or any endorsement from reputed manufacturer. Well I like new ideas but implementation or actual success of such things is a big question.
Exactly. They have to provide some research, some real life demonstration videos to prove their product.
Old 9th April 2019, 08:01   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: F‑Protekkt : Automatic fire extinguisher for the engine bay

Excellent in concept & well-priced too! 9 grand is a fair price when you consider that a CeaseFire fire extinguisher costs 3 - 4 grand.

But they really need to work on their promotional material, demo video & website. If I'm interested in their product, it's because I'm nervous about automotive fires and their promotional material is FAR from confidence-inspiring. In comparison, take a look at this website; makes you want to buy their product right away.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 09:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone tried this device? It is a lot cheaper.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 10:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Has anyone tried this It is a lot cheaper.
Not tried Sir, but like you said, very economical & can be permanently fixed in engine bay with slight modification to be in place + a perfect system to put off fire.

But from what I read is that, it needs a certain minimum temperature for it to get activated. So for instance, if we sense a smoke, we cannot expect this to work & if the minimum temperature is, say 150, then one has to wait until the temperature reaches this point.

Until then, we may use traditional CO2 based extinguisher, but that will put down the temperature causing the ball to be ineffective.

All said, yes, it's good to have one considering our car is very small area

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks