Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 16:19   #61
BHPian

Discussion regarding BS 6 mass market diesels with DPF

Hi.
Since post January, most of the new BS 6 car production has stopped, I wanted to have a discussion regarding DPFs in particular in relation to BS6 diesels.

I am aware of the basic terms in regards to DPF. However I am interested to know about the cars our market has. Has anyone been facing challenges with their BS6 diesels?
I think the diesel Seltos owners can help.
I am more inclined to know about Ford's 1.5 TDCi. It will be compliant only after adding a DPF filter. Now there will be a problem with DPF regeneration. Means roughly after every 500 kms the engine will go into regeneration mode, sending extra fuel through the EGR to heat the DPF and burn off carbon deposits. This will equal less fuel efficiency. The car needs to be driven above 45kmph for 10-40 minutes. Also, one will not be able to use the car solely in city traffic. I also suspect that these cars won't have separate regen mode at idling like the Ford F-150s have in the US.

I am interested to know about experience from owners of BS6 cars with DPF. What problems have they faced till date.
Given that this problem with diesels, is it worth to buy a diesel in 2020? I would very much like to invest in a diesel because availability of diesels is more than petrols. Much handy while touring. Also, it hurts less to take the car out for a spin. The entire usage pattern and mentality changes with diesel ownership.

P.S I know there have been some discussions in this regard but there has not been any dedicated threads on this topic and hence added this. All opinions are welcome.
Old 11th March 2020, 21:20   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Discussion regarding BS 6 mass market diesels with DPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron82x3 View Post
Now there will be a problem with DPF regeneration. Means roughly after every 500 kms the engine will go into regeneration mode, sending extra fuel through the EGR to heat the DPF and burn off carbon deposits. This will equal less fuel efficiency. The car needs to be driven above 45kmph for 10-40 minutes. Also, one will not be able to use the car solely in city traffic.
I am interested to know about experience from owners of BS6 cars with DPF. What problems have they faced till date.
As a Seltos diesel owner, I can share my feedback.

I have covered close to 7k kms so far and haven't faced any issue till now. Just like me, there are several other Seltos D owners (on FB and WA groups) who have done 20k+ kms and haven't faced any engine issue so far.

However, I must confess that I haven't driven continuously for extended periods within city limits only. Usually after every 300-400 kms, I have got a chance to head out on the highway where I get to maintain >80 kmph for extended periods.

Having interacted with few owners who faced Check Engine light issue, I could also see a common trait - refueling with premium fuel such as VPower, Extrapower and refueling in remote areas. It could be a mere coincidence and I could be wrong here. I haven't tried any premium fuel in my car till date.

Yes, these cars don't have a separate regen mode. The regen happens in the background once it is due. If your driving conditions are not suitable for regen, then the process will be postponed. After a point when it can't be postponed anymore, a warning light lits up on the dashboard after which you are expected to perform the regen process diligently. You are expected to drive at higher gear, higher RPM for 30 minutes for regen to happen. Once successful, the light goes off. If it still fails, you visit the service center for manual cleaning.

See the instruction from the Seltos user manual
Busting the myth of BS6 / BSVI compliant engines in India-dpf-user-manual.jpeg

Quote:
Given that this problem with diesels, is it worth to buy a diesel in 2020? I would very much like to invest in a diesel because availability of diesels is more than petrols. Much handy while touring. Also, it hurts less to take the car out for a spin. The entire usage pattern and mentality changes with diesel ownership.
This was ONE of the reason why I bought my first diesel. However do note that the difference in petrol and diesel fuel is very less nowadays. It's only the better FE which gives actual gains. Gains are low if you don't do long distances regularly. If your tours are once in few months, spending couple of thousand extra on petrol would rarely stand out in the total trip cost (fuel, toll, food, stay, etc.)

PS: BS6 diesel engines are less fuel efficient than a similar BS4 engine, marginally. For reference, I get about 15 kmpl within city use and 19 kmpl in highway use with full time AC and liberal use of accelerator. These numbers are better than a petrol engine of similar power.

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th March 2020 at 21:26. Reason: Added additional details
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 20:21   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: Busting the myth of BS6 / BSVI compliant engines in India

Does usage of BS-6 petrol in non BS-6 cars make the engines run a tad smoother?
Now that BS-6 petrol is available at all fuel retail outlets, after about 3 tankfull's , our venerable
BS-3 first gen Swift seems to be running smoother. Specially under cold start idling conditions. Same observation shared by my cousin w.r.t his Ecosport EcoBoost.
Anybody can shed some empirical evidence on this or is it merely our imagination?
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks