Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2007, 14:31   #1
BHPian

Headlight beam help in Ford Ikon 1.6

Hello everyone! I've a Ford Ikon 1.6 bought in early 2005. I use my car for both city and highway commute, subject to a ratio of 40:60. I got 55/60w headlights with the car. It was so pathetic. So, I upgraded to Philips Rally 90/100w. It still seemed so bad. So i tried to adjust the beams to my preference using the adjustment screws, making it just better. The trouble I have is, i tend to travel a lot in the night, sometimes i travel with no load at the rear, and sometimes with heavy load at the rear. It's pretty irritating to keep adjusting the screws for beam adjustment and its so scary when the beam doesnt focus at the road at all!

A while back in one of the orkut communities, one Ikon flair user reported that he had that headlight beam adjuster roller near the steering wheel. I was surprised, but i didn't believe it. He told he got his car in late 2005. Can anyone confirm this about what he told, that he got the headlight beam adjuster roller or the new Flair's come with this feature.

My Santro has this feature. Its so useful! I would love to have it on my Ikon.

Is it possible to fit one onto my car?

Any help would be really appreciated.

-Absar
Old 5th February 2007, 19:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

u got to change the head light assembly for this feature.....

or you can straight away go for a HID setup which will increase the light with the present assembly.....
Old 5th February 2007, 19:47   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

You can fit the adjuster - its not a modular attachment; you'll need to change your headlight assembly like LBM said
Old 5th February 2007, 21:06   #4
BHPian

low_bass_makker & theMAG, thank you for the quick replies. Is it a costly fitment? I mean, the headlight assembly, will it be costly to replace? Is it available at Ford or outside?
Old 5th February 2007, 22:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think the head light assembly only would cost approx 3-4k each.....leave the controller of the head light and the wiring....

I would recommend go for a HID kit....it will improve the night driving very much.....
Old 5th February 2007, 23:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum....
Something we have in common (ikon 1.6)
Please post pics of your car on this thread via imageshack.us
This whole setup will cost over 8k's for the original ones from ford.
Old 6th February 2007, 15:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I think the head light assembly only would cost approx 3-4k each.....leave the controller of the head light and the wiring....

I would recommend go for a HID kit....it will improve the night driving very much.....
Hello low_bass_makker, thank you for quoting the estimate. Does that mean if I upgrade to a HID kit, it would come with automatic self leveling device according to the load and would it have manual adjustment too (i.e. headlight beam beam adjuster roller).

What would be the cost of a HID kit? And is HID same as Xenons?

-Absar
Old 6th February 2007, 19:00   #8
BHPian

Hello danlalan.

Posted here upon your request, 4 pictures of my Ikon.

P.S.: To mods: I couldn't find the edit button to edit my previous post and add this..
Old 7th February 2007, 13:39   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
A while back in one of the orkut communities, one Ikon flair user reported that he had that headlight beam adjuster roller near the steering wheel. I was surprised, but i didn't believe it. He told he got his car in late 2005. Can anyone confirm this about what he told, that he got the headlight beam adjuster roller or the new Flair's come with this feature.

-Absar
Hi Absar,
Gud to c u here.... i'm also a member on the Orkut Ikon owners forum.
With respect to what u had asked, the new Ikons' do come with the headlight levelling feature. Its below the steering wheel, and has some numbering in terms of levelling the height of the beam depending on the load in the vehicle. By the way, mine is a 2006 Flair. IMHO, i feel that this isnt really of much use as i find almost no difference when it comes to city driving. Wud need to confirm this on some dark road or so.

Between, urs is the Platinum color, rite? Was initially contemplating on that before i finally decided on the Jewel Violet.
Old 7th February 2007, 16:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

the hid kit will come for 10k and above.......like i said before the whole road will lit up when you have installed the HID (xenon) kit in the car .......
Old 7th February 2007, 16:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Hi Absar,
Gud to c u here.... i'm also a member on the Orkut Ikon owners forum.
With respect to what u had asked, the new Ikons' do come with the headlight levelling feature. Its below the steering wheel, and has some numbering in terms of levelling the height of the beam depending on the load in the vehicle. By the way, mine is a 2006 Flair. IMHO, i feel that this isnt really of much use as i find almost no difference when it comes to city driving. Wud need to confirm this on some dark road or so.

Between, urs is the Platinum color, rite? Was initially contemplating on that before i finally decided on the Jewel Violet.
Hello benbsb29! You've been a lucky guy to get that feature. Its SO useful. I want to try to get this feature on my car. It should help a lot! On the Santro i have this feature, I keep it on level 2 (the lowest), and keep the high beam on all the time without glaring anyone.

Btw, its not Platinum color, when I bought it, it was named Oyster Silver. I thought this was the best colour to go, since i didn't want a dark color, because the scratches would show up easily as well as it would attract more heat. The other 2 light colors available were taken up by family members in their Ikon. Didn't want to take a same color so i picked this out. Its a nice color tho.

I'm almost confused now, what to do..whether to change my headlight assembly or go for a HID kit.. I donno how much HID would cost. Above it was there that the assembly would cost less than 10k.

-Absar
Old 9th February 2007, 00:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Did you get the 90/100 relay fitted as well, otherwise the light isn't going to be as bright as a 90/100 should be.

I once had the 90/100 on the Ikon without relay (as the car is still under warranty) and another set on our Fiat with the relay, the Fiat always used to light up the road like crazy and so much that I really had problems with glares from my own headlight reflecting from the back of white Amby's and Sumos.

I face a similar plight on my car so what i have done is pointed the low low enough and use high beams mostly when driving no-load (being pointed low the high beams do not invite dippers from oncoming vehicles). Under load I use the low-beams. I have Visionplus bulbs of 65/55 wattage. This compromise/setup has worked pretty well till now.

I will use external lamps once the warranty is over.

Phillips Rally 90/100 on the Ikon headlight would cause reflector dulling eventually due to the added heat.
Old 20th March 2007, 20:29   #13
BHPian

Hey! I went to Ford yesterday and asked them about the beam adjuster. They told they can't do it.. I even suggested changing only the headlight assembly.. But still the same.. Can't do it! Grrr! Are they dorks or what?? Even they refused to sell (or atleast SHOW me) the screwdriver for the headlight beam adjuster screws. Arrrrrgh! They've frustrated me!

-Absar
Old 20th March 2007, 21:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
the hid kit will come for 10k and above.......like i said before the whole road will lit up when you have installed the HID (xenon) kit in the car .......
for 10k you can get a HID kit, sure, but not the proper housing. the whole road will be lit up only when you house it in a suitable projector enclosure.

even then this setup is only 20% near OEM setups for HID. have time and some money for a retro?

also there is so much to making the whole road lit up like what you may see in a BMW or the like. check out hidplanet.com's university section. lots to read.

fixing a HID kit on the default halogen reflector housing will only blind oncoming traffic
Old 20th March 2007, 21:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
for 10k you can get a HID kit, sure, but not the proper housing. the whole road will be lit up only when you house it in a suitable projector enclosure.

even then this setup is only 20% near OEM setups for HID. have time and some money for a retro?

also there is so much to making the whole road lit up like what you may see in a BMW or the like. check out hidplanet.com's university section. lots to read.

fixing a HID kit on the default halogen reflector housing will only blind oncoming traffic
Hi. Ya, I'm aware that installing HID's on the default halogen reflector will only blind oncoming traffic, so I'm not going for that unless I get a projector setup. And what do you mean by retro?

-Absar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks