Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2017, 09:56   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ever locked a car with the keys inside?

I have done it a few times. In the UK as a student I used to force down a glass a tad, and then uses an iron strip across the window to push up the lock button. Really locked out my Accent out of town, and we had to get a chap from the dealership to open it. Some cars like M800 could be opened easily with the rear pane easy to ease off.
Old 15th September 2017, 11:58   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have done it a few times. In the UK as a student I used to force down a glass a tad, and then uses an iron strip across the window to push up the lock button..
Did you not have a Slim Jim? When I was in the US (80s) every cop I knew had one and so did most of us. If you locked yourself out you borrowed a Slim Jim from another car and used that. With practice it takes less than 20 seconds.

A better way is to "be prepared". Between the rear number plate and the car body I had wedged a magnetic key holder (see pic). You would need a screw driver to remove the plates to get to it but a screw driver is not that hard to find. You could even use a US dime coin in a pinch.
Attached Thumbnails
Ever locked a car with the keys inside?-key-case.jpg  

Last edited by navin : 15th September 2017 at 12:08.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 16:06   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

The joke here is that our cars are supposed to be way more secure than they used to be!
Old 15th September 2017, 16:54   #259
BHPian

Almost 8 years back on the day i proposed to my wife i took her to Hesarghatta Lake on bangalore outskirts. There was hardly any crowd and we spent good time watching the birds and it was almost time for sunset when we decided to leave.

Once we reached the car, i opened the rear door and we were having water from the bottle. I had kept the car key on the rear seat and my would be wife closed the door thinking we are ready to leave. By the time i finished drinking water, the doors locked due to Autocop!

I always leave the windows a little down to hot air to escape, tried to push the window down (palio 1.1 SLX car had power windows) which wasn't of much help. Try to lift the key using a dry plant stem but the key slipped and fell to the floor!

I or my wife couldn't have left the car there nor one person could have gone home to get spare key as it was getting dark. With no one around to help, i was left with no choice but to take a stone and smash the window

Just as i opened the door and started cleaning the glass, i saw 2 cops on bikes coming towards our car and asking why did i break the glass! had to show them my ID, car registration document and explain them what has transpired before they could let us go!
ant_vas is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 19:03   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The joke here is that our cars are supposed to be way more secure than they used to be!
Pardon me for being naive. But I often wonder why the actual car keys and locks (not the remotes) aren't more secure. Why can't a car have a Godrej type lock, for instance? Four (2 doors+boot+ignition) locks plus 2 keys could set the manufacturer back by about ₹4,000. But it could also mean a bit more security to the car. There must indeed be some logical reason for our car keys being what and how they are the world over.

Any pointers?
Old 22nd November 2017, 18:35   #261
BANNED

Happened to me Today, a colleague borrowed my F10D Zen and locked the keys inside.

With the help of a fellow enthusiast got the details of Saj Motors (+91-4714011772) which was nearby Technopark, Trivandrum, they were kind enough to send one of their guys who managed to get the car unlocked with the help of a 30cm metal ruler for 200/-.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 22nd November 2017 at 18:35. Reason: Location
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:02   #262
BHPian

Personally feel it is high time everybody should learn to unlock a car if the keys get locked inside apart from learning other car intricacies. Comes in handy someday.

1. Open using a slim jim (?) or metal ruler
2. Remote unlock using phone
3. ??
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:50   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
... it is high time everybody should learn to unlock a car ...
Already most of the people we least want to know, do know. If everyone knows, we may as well just forget about locks!

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 18:50   #264
BHPian

Re: i10 unlocking experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
So the basics first – scale doesn’t work –you would have seen its not a “pop” lock - infact you may actually damage the mechanism by plonking down at a few sensitive place.
Oops, it happened today with me and I got my i10 door locked with keys inside. The car was parked in an hotel. Few drivers gave a try with scale but it would not budge. Few of them mentioned about cable below driver seat for opening boot and said it was not there. I had no other option but to call wife to search for duplicate and hire a cab to reach me (I was 25 kms away from home). Anyways, I am happy that it got resolved without damaging the beading or the door.
Old 17th January 2018, 20:17   #265
Senior - BHPian

Like most things in life, this works both ways. Maybe we should now link adhaar to the car, so you can unlock with your fingerprint?

Have locked myself out a few times, and the trusty iron ruler comes to the rescue.

The magnetic keyholder is a nifty little trick, not sure how it will fare with the washing and the beating the car gets.

Keyless entry might help a bit here, if you can keep the fob secure on your person.
Old 17th January 2018, 20:45   #266
Senior - BHPian

I have done many times as so I got a wallet key made by a key-maker.
This key was made on a flat key with same thickness throughout. The length is little smaller then credit card and thickness is that of a coin.

Once I left my wallet in the car and slammed the door but a 30CM plastic scale worked.

Last edited by amitk26 : 17th January 2018 at 20:48.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 19:51   #267
BHPian

My turn to post here. Locked myself out and yupp, the spare key is sitting peacefully in the armrest.

Here's what happened. Unlocked the boot and threw the luggage along with the key into the boot. Car got locked.

Called up RSA. Who was half asleep on a Saturday evening or was simply unwilling to help. He suggested to have the car towed which I denied. I asked him to give me the contact for a mechanic, I was offered the contact info of the nearest garage.

I just hung up stating it's almost 8pm on a Saturday.

I have called an FNG for assistance. Let's see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Actually the laura has a separate boot release button. While unloading, he kept the keys and closed the boot. He is now in touch with tejas car lock to get the lock decoder for the laura. Cost 2k, he will get it by Monday. Will post the results after he has unlocked the car. He doesnt have the spare keys.
I have managed to do the exact same thing on the Rapid. Sitting here wondering if the FNG mech who is on his way will be able to help.

Else I will have car towed.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th January 2019 at 00:18. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
ashwinmanuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 20:12   #268
Senior - BHPian

I dont think it should be possible to unlock our cars by ourselves. If you lock the keys, you should need expert help or help from the service guys without charge. Only then, its considered to be locked and your keys are of use
Old 19th January 2019, 22:22   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinmanuk View Post
I have managed to do the exact same thing on the Rapid. Sitting here wondering if the FNG mech who is on his way will be able to help.

Else I will have car towed.
Round 1 from FNG didn't work. Left with a few pain deep chips and scratches above the driver side door. Will wait for a round 2 tomorrow. Else RSA.
Old 19th January 2019, 23:03   #270
BHPian

Touchwood, but unless I keep the key in the boot and slam it shut, I dont think one can get locked out in a Fiat Linea or Punto

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks