Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2019, 21:41   #286
BHPian

Re: Ever locked a car with the keys inside?

In EcoSport S, when you try to lock a car with the key fob inside, the car will produce a beep sound once without getting locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I guess it helped that the key I had left was on the back seat and visible, so easier for him to copy I guess, but I understood he could have done it without viewing the original. But yeah, it is scary that they can make a key so easily
O.T:
Here in India, a locksmith doesn't have any obligations. While I was in Munich, a locksmith would ask legal papers (e.g. Housing rental contract) for reference. Sometimes, a landlord would ask to replace the complete lock system.
RedStallion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 10:01   #287

Today my Polo got locked with the key inside. My regular practice is to start the car, turn on ac, close the door, then go open the gates so that the engine idles for sometime. Today while I was walking towards the gate, I heard a sudden increase in rpm and then back to normal. I have no idea how this happened automatically. This probably made the speed above 15 km/h and triggered the auto-lock because when I came back, the doors were all locked. Normally, this wouldn’t have been a problem because I always have a spare key at home. Today, I was about to go on a long drive and I had put the spare key in my backpack which I kept inside the car just before starting it.

I thought there would be no solution other than to break the glass but then I searched on YouTube anyway and found this gem of a solution:

Unlock Volkswagen Polo Without Key

I pushed on the unlock button instead of pulling the door lever because it was easier. Got some minor scratches but that’s because I didn’t have a proper plastic wedge. I’m super happy that I didn’t have to break the glass and spend a fortune on a new one.

I still wonder how the rpm went up automatically. Probably because of a faulty ABS sensor.
ayazhajimalang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 10:41   #288
BHPian

I forgot keys in old Maruti 800 two times in 2007. But it was very simple then to unlock & retrieve the keys. You just need a plastic scale and insert it along the glass of the window and push the lever. Very simple indeed but all chances of vehicle get stolen any day.

Its very hard to forget keys in new cars as you need them to lock & unlock the car.
RahuKetu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 11:02   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all - good solution & nice that you were able to open the doors without needing to break anything or glass. Thanks for sharing the useful video
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayazhajimalang View Post
Today my Polo got locked with the key inside. My regular practice is to start the car, turn on ac, close the door, then go open the gates so that the engine idles for sometime. Today while I was walking towards the gate, I heard a sudden increase in rpm and then back to normal. I have no idea how this happened automatically. This probably made the speed above 15 km/h and triggered the auto-lock because when I came back, the doors were all locked.
I'm confused. The car reached 15kmph? So you left the car rolling without a driver at wheel & went to open the gate? I'm guessing I have totally misunderstood what you have said, but not able to get what you did.
Old 27th May 2020, 11:42   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'm confused. The car reached 15kmph? So you left the car rolling without a driver at wheel & went to open the gate? I'm guessing I have totally misunderstood what you have said, but not able to get what you did.
No, I didn’t leave the car rolling. Sorry for the confusion. I should have been more descriptive. Parking brakes were on and the gear was in neutral, of course.

I have experienced the same situation a couple of years back but I was inside the car then. I was sitting inside waiting for someone and the speedometer suddenly started moving up and down. The car got locked (as the speedometer went above 15 km/h) and at one point, I also heard the speed limit chime as it crossed 80 km/h mark. These movements were fast, random & abrupt and occurred in a span of just 3-4 seconds and then stopped. ABS engaging sound was also heard from under the brake pedal. All these time, the car was completely stationary. It was weird because as we know, speedometer normally moves only if the vehicle actually moves. I immediately took it to ASS and they found a faulty ABS sensor to be the culprit.

Never experienced it again until today. Unfortunately this time, I was outside the car.
ayazhajimalang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 18:56   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayazhajimalang View Post
I pushed on the unlock button instead of pulling the door lever because it was easier.
Much easier, I would have thought! Curious that the guy in the video ignores that button but works on trying to hook-pull the handle
Old 29th May 2020, 00:18   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

I managed to lock my keys in the trunk of my Jaguar last year.

I wrote about it here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4674311
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 20:21   #293
BHPian

Hello There,

I have managed to once. Skoda Rapid is the car. I happened to throw the remote keyfob in the boot along with some luggage with the duplicate key sitting inside the driver armrest.

We tried everything under the sun, from scales to wire loops. Finally broke the driver side glass and broke into my own car. This was based on A.S.S (Tafe's) recommendation.

Thanks
Ashwin
ashwinmanuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 12:01   #294
BHPian

Had to undergo this ordeal on 18th Oct with my Creta 2018 SX(O) model.
I was loading my car's boot at Cherthala at around 3.45p. Did not unlock the car doors but just opened the boot having the key in my hand. Kept the key on the parcel tray and loaded boot. Closed the boot with the sensor key inside thinking I can open the boot and take it later.
Unfortunately, the boot was not closed fully. It got stuck (half latched) and the key was inside
I tried opening the doors, tried opening boot etc. It was not opening. We were all dressed up to travel to CBE. Fortunately, I had my mobile with me. Immediately, called the Hyundai RSA toll free number and a person noted down my location and my problem etc.
The nearest Hyundai dealer was MGF Hyundai Alleppey which was 28 kms away from my location. Multiple guys called me from MGF Hyundai at 4.45p. One was saying I need to pay for the service and upon questioning him on warranty he was saying it is NOT hyundai's mistake that you left the car key inside, so charge will be there ranging 350 - 700/-. Another person from same MGF Hyundai said it is free of cost since it is a 2018 manufactured car and I have run only 26k. So called RSA again and they said RSA fees is not required but Technician fee of 350 to 500 is required.

The person who offered free service from MGF Hyundai sent 2 persons around 7pm and they unscrewed the front bumper so that they can reach the bonnet lock using their hand. They somehow managed to open the bonnet lock and I was praying that the bumper lock clips should not cut off as I could see some pressure going in that area. After opening the bonnet, they used a wire and touched some point on the battery and it unlocked the car. I was very happy getting the car keys more than the delivery day of my car.
MGF Hyundai guys as promised charged 0/-. Thanks a lot MGF Hyundai Punnapra, Alleppey.
But now I see the engine yellow warning always ON in the car. However, I drove the car and reached my destination 230kms away. I need to take the car to my Service center and get them checked on why it is ON.

Will never do this mistake again. Can't imagine happening this on a roadside after a tea break with entire family standing on road. Will never take out my key from pocket here after.

Last edited by deemash : 19th October 2020 at 12:16.
deemash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 12:13   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Will never do this mistake again. Can't imagine happening this on a roadside after a tea break. Will never take out my key from pocket here after.
Glad it got sorted out. If you have a keyless entry system in your car, consider keeping your car key and maybe 1 or 2 important keys like your home key in a carabiner which you can latch to your trouser's belt hook.

Ever locked a car with the keys inside?-images.jpeg

Image courtesy - Shutterstock (before they file a complaint!).
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 20:05   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
One was saying I need to pay for the service and upon questioning him on warranty he was saying it is NOT hyundai's mistake that you left the car key inside, so charge will be there ranging 350 - 700/-.
Don't understand how anyone could expect this to be dealt with under warranty.
Old 4th August 2021, 13:44   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
A friend got his Baleno locked yesterday in Rajasthan. He called a mechanic who used this exact same method to get the car unlocked. It took him just 5-10 minutes using that plastic bag. A real life saver. He told that it is a pretty common technique now.
Old 4th August 2021, 16:22   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Some odd things are occurring with my car since a recent battery change. One thing is that it self-locks when it shouldn't. Trying to remember never to shut the door with the key inside!
Old 4th August 2021, 18:40   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Some odd things are occurring with my car since a recent battery change. One thing is that it self-locks when it shouldn't. Trying to remember never to shut the door with the key inside!
In my opinion, you should check out the door switches. If they are stuck, they can send a misleading signal to the computer that the door is still closed when actually it might be open. This in turn activates the auto-lock feature of the central locking (which locks the doors when user unlocks but doesn't open the door).

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 18:48   #300
Senior - BHPian

Yes Nano had got locked out during its PDi itself, it took them less than a minute to open the car by same method used by Towing guys.

I guess with car with Manual window winders, you can try and force the window down if possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks