Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 18:31   #106
BHPian

Re: Whats double clutching & whats the reason to use it

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
None. It is that simple.
Thanks for the update. The i20 tranny has very long throws and as you said double clutching a car with syncros has no benefits so it's better I'll stick granny shifting. Else, I'll only end up grinding the gears if I miss.
Old 24th February 2016, 23:11   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
as you said double clutching a car with syncros has no benefits so it's better I'll stick granny shifting. Else, I'll only end up grinding the gears if I miss.

No that is not true.

Double clutching does reduce wear and tear on the synchromesh rings. On most cars its not that relevant as most people will sell their car before most synchromesh gives, but still the fact is that double clutching reduces wear and tear on your box. Whether you value that is a matter of personal choice. And if you have a sporty car, it will allow you to clip the throttle between gears which is pretty cool. Especially going through like a tunnel!

If you find yourself downshifting from say fourth gear to second, e.g approaching a red light that turns green when you get near, double clutching will/might give you a much smoother shift. synchromesh is all about syncing RPMs between the various rotating bits in your gear box. So the bigger the difference the more jerky it tends to get.

Missing a gear as you say, is really not possible with a synchromesh box. Only if you try to push it into a too low gear for the RPM will you grind the gear but double clutching would not help in such a scenario either.

These days you tend to grind the gear typically in first and or reverse. Little grinding when you shift? Most likely your box doesn't have a synchromesh on first and or reverse. How to prevent?

When you roll to a stop, just before you come to a full stop engage first, then go to neutral as you are fully stopped. You don't even need the clutch out! When you want to pull away, first will engage as smooth as a hot knife through butter!

Reverse is a bit more tricky. If you feel it might grind the gears a bit, engage second gear first, again you don't need the clutch out. Just engage second and then reverse. Will go very smoothly!

Jeroen
Old 24th February 2016, 23:44   #108
Senior - BHPian

I have this annoying habit of double clutching while shifting from 3rd to second(not in any other down shifts), I learnt this habit by instinct (long before I even heard the word double clutch). Will this harm my shifter I mean double clutching only in certain kind of shift?
Old 25th February 2016, 08:49   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I have this annoying habit of double clutching while shifting from 3rd to second. Will this harm my shifter I mean double clutching only in certain kind of shift?
After reading Reehan's superb explanation on double clutching and Jerone's tips about clutch and gear use, i am sure this habit of yours won't harm your shifter as the only possible way you can harm the gear is by double clutching and down shifting in to a gear too low for the rpm. You basically you should have an idea of the ideal rpm which matches your gears.
Old 13th December 2019, 10:04   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Digging up an old thread.

So I have this habit of double clutching every now and then for upshifts and downshifts in my synchromesh forward geared car. I know it has absolutely no adverse effect on the gearbox as such.

But what about the clutch?
Technically, when double clutching, we engage and disengage the clutch 2x the times of granny shifting. The actual bite point sure has friction when the plates latch on. Would double clutching wear the plate more compared to granny shifting then? I'm guessing the answer would be yes?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks