Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2005, 02:29   #76
Senior - BHPian

No not at all, we are not diluting anything. Toluene is added to increase the octane number, and also increase the energy content btu. there is no way a performance decrease can be seen comparing it to high octane fuels and toluene mixed with 93 or so. If you read the earlier posts i have continuosly mentioned that toluene is an aromatic that is a part of gasoline. So to usually increase octane numbers, oil companies increase the toluene mixture....

Dom
Old 10th March 2005, 12:53   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
hey dom,
we use toluene regularly in our factory.. and we buy it at 28.50/ltr. but i gotta check if its sulphur free.

hey Dom,

we now get Toluene for 37.75 (inclusive of 4.75 Rs ED ) and it says on the report sulphur free. but we dont have any facility to test this ! do you know a method to test whether the toluene is sulphur free ??

also rite now im running on 98 Octane in my ikon. does it make sense to dump toluene in the tank or shud i try it when i tank up with lower Octane petrol ??

cheers
Old 10th March 2005, 20:22   #78
BHPian

thanks buddies...for this nice topic on increasing the octane rating.... more and more i explore this site more happier i feel....at last somebody's come up with something that resticts to automobiles...automobiles and automobiles.... feel proud to be part of the same community
Old 11th March 2005, 12:47   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
also rite now im running on 98 Octane in my ikon. does it make sense to dump toluene in the tank or shud i try it when i tank up with lower Octane petrol ??
Hey,
Well theres no point going more than 98 in a Ikon, also when its stock and not high on compression.

Cheers
Dom

PS: NC i think you are talking about industrial grade toluene. Yep thats ok you can use it, just filter it a good number of times and then check for water content, it usually settles in the end. The fluid should be crystal clear like water, should not be pale white or yellowish. This indicates old stock.
Old 11th March 2005, 14:52   #80
BHPian

Hey, I got a STOCK Honda City 1.5... how high can I go with the mixture? As in, waht level of Octane? Also, Dom, where do you get it SO CHEAP in Bangalore?!! At every chemist I've been to, the guy quotes 130/Litre... and finally, that ends up being almost as expensive as stocking up on Xtra Premium...
Old 12th March 2005, 21:59   #81
BHPian

guys i heard these high octane fuels cause engine knockin so wat do ll say..a mechanic in tardeo told me
Old 13th March 2005, 02:53   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how high can I go with the mixture? As in, waht level of Octane? Also, Dom, where do you get it SO CHEAP in Bangalore?!!
I would suggest about 95 octane for the city, anything more is not required. I get my stuff from a wholesaler from mumbai.

Quote:
guys i heard these high octane fuels cause engine knockin so wat do ll say..a mechanic in tardeo told me
haha... well i think your mech got it the other way round. Low octane fuels cause knock. not high octane.

Cheers
Dom
Old 13th March 2005, 09:07   #83
BHPian

Well, Does it harden the rubber & plastic parts which it comes in contact with??
Old 14th March 2005, 17:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

Hey Dom,

A rather late question for you, since I am checking out this thread after long time. Toluene costs lesser than regular petrol (30 Rs/Ltr), whereas the regular higher octane petrol costs more than regular one. If higher octane is just a mixture of these two, why do Oil companies charge us higher for higher octane petrol? Is there anything else, that goes in making higher octane petrol? If the use anything other than Toluene, what is the reason for not using Toluene?
Old 17th April 2005, 13:38   #85
Senior - BHPian

Toluene is now 57 Rs per litre... and the Lab grade is more than 200/ltr

Cheers
Dom
Old 18th April 2005, 01:00   #86
BHPian

hey guys... Well i just tried this a few days ago... Got the chemical frm NICE chemicals in blr for abt 206 a ltr sulphur free...mixed it wit the ratio 10 ltr speed 93 to 4 ltr toluene(c6H5CH3)... Used it on a CBZ n a Karitzma... Results .... Well the bike reved a lil better n was lot more smoother...cheers
Old 18th May 2005, 23:36   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey guys... Well i just tried this a few days ago... Got the chemical frm NICE chemicals in blr for abt 206 a ltr sulphur free...mixed it wit the ratio 10 ltr speed 93 to 4 ltr toluene(c6H5CH3)... Used it on a CBZ n a Karitzma... Results .... Well the bike reved a lil better n was lot more smoother...cheers
dude... go with about 10% should be more than enough.... ie 10ltrs petrol with 1 ltr toluene... should be sufficient... glad you liked it...

cheers
Old 3rd July 2005, 11:14   #88
BHPian

hi dom.. gr8 article..
i had recently been to a paint shop in mumbai who had toulene and i bought toulene from him and he has one of the biggest paint shops in mumbai and i got toulene for 60rs/ltr..
is there anyone who could get me toule cheaper than that and i would be interrested..
once again dom ur just brilliant
Old 27th October 2005, 15:34   #89
Team-BHP Support

Dom,

I was using 97 in my RS and 93 in my wife's Sail 1.6 . Then they stopped making Speed 93 so I tried Speed 97 and guess what we got about 1 km/ltr better milage a nicer ride and smoother power delivery.

Would adding 1:10 toulene to 97 improve things further?
Old 13th November 2013, 10:44   #90
BHPian

Re: High Octane Fuel

Sorry for bumping into old thread, but was curious to ask experts on 93 Octane Fuel:

Quite late I have seen most of the IOC pumps have started selling 93 Octane petrol in Delhi. Can you please let me know, if I can use the same for my 2010 City A/T? If yes, what will be the advantages over non-branded fuel? If No, then whats the reason behind it? Does Engine doesnt supports it or Honda doesnt recommends, which may void the extended warranty ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks