Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2020, 21:15   #16
BANNED

Re: Maruti Ignis: Slight juddering on cold start. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
Hi Arjab
Kindly post a pic of the C mount of Maruti AMT cars so that we can tally.

Hi, Since juddering is associated with forward motion only so Ignition mixture & Idling are not suspected here. ( Because I always wait and let the car do morning engine run and settle at Idle RPM )
In my Ignis AMT, when I take reverse of 8-9 meters in morning, there is no juddering, then when I engage Drive mode forward gear, then car judders few seconds of forward run.
Also, please note that initial judder is More when front tires are not straight and are in steered position.
Precisely ! This is in forward motion only and more when you need to steer immediately. I suspect this is due to some moisture due to condensation as I've noticed it is more in rains and winters. Had this been the regular judder then this would happen everytime
Old 12th October 2020, 10:05   #17
BHPian

This is odd. Although I do not own an Ignis, we do have a Ritz at our home. It experiences the exact same problem! It has for a couple of years now. I've gotten it serviced thrice since then and even specifically asked for the mechanics to address it - but to no avail. I've now resorted to trying things on my own. Since the car's old and run a lot, I thought additives like System-G might help "clean it up" but clearly the problem isn't that if it's also happening to the new cars.
Old 12th October 2020, 10:32   #18
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Precisely ! This is in forward motion only and more when you need to steer immediately. I suspect this is due to some moisture due to condensation as I've noticed it is more in rains and winters. Had this been the regular judder then this would happen everytime
So I'm currently facing this issue since servicing the car 15 days back. Something like when I reverse and steer my car to left or right there is a judder. Then I slot into D mode to drive I get small judder say for 2-3 seconds (something like wheel spin felt on steering wheel too). I thought this has to do with Steering adjustment post WA. But this is predominant in many Ignis and surprised there is a thread on t-bhp for this issue. BTW the car is 2 year old 13.5K Odo.

The only difference I felt is that this time I gave my car for servicing to Arena instead of Nexa as it is close to my home. I thought these Arena technicians missing a particular Ignis specific repair.

Last edited by KPR : 12th October 2020 at 10:35.
Old 12th October 2020, 14:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
Also, please note that initial judder is More when front tires are not straight and are in steered position.
Exactly. Our parking is close to the main gate, so I've to take a sharp left to get out. That is when the juddering is most prominent. Also, the entrance is at a slight elevation. So, basically, it's a U-turn to get onto the road. Precisely why I suspect weakened link arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
Could it be a bad flywheel or weakened link arm? If yes, is the wear and tear for a 1.5 year old car with 7k km on the odo acceptable?
satrikon_454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 14:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
when I reverse and steer my car to left or right there is a judder. Then I slot into D mode to drive I get small judder say for 2-3 seconds
I suppose your car is an AGS.

If the judder is when you're keeping the brakes partly pressed while reversing or taking off OR otherwise, it is because the diaphragm spring fingers of the clutch cover (pressure plate) are getting uneven.

You'll find the same behaviour in cars with weakening pressure plates when you gradually release the clutch to start off in first gear, or when you move from standstill in 2nd gear.

Nothing to worry about.

Last edited by vigsom : 12th October 2020 at 14:31.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 15:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
Precisely why I suspect weakened link arm.
Thanks Satrikon for pointing out to Pressure plate or Link Arm. But Link Arm issue gets ruled out because this juddering is observed Only after parking for long hours. Thus pressure / clutch plate worn out OR work out unevenly OR play in input shaft bearing are more suspected. Whether the clutch Housing is of Poor quality and not Sturdy enough ?? as MT models are also stating similar issue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
You'll find the same behaviour in cars with weakening pressure plates when you gradually release the clutch to start off in first gear, or when you move from standstill in 2nd gear.
Nothing to worry about.
Hi Vigsom, its definitely worrisome, because all cases narrated here are in very less driven cars 6k-12k kms
Lightning2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 18:18   #22
BHPian

Another Ignis owner here. I'm surprised that I missed this thread for so long. Mine is a petrol AMT model manufactured in Feb 2017. I noticed the issue first in 2018 (ODO around 8k) after the car was parked in a railway station lot overnight. It caught me by surprise and I got down to check whether I was dragging something. The judder lasted for about 50-100m and then went away. Noticed it again when I was at my sister's place in Bangalore. I did a lot of early morning starts without judder within that time period. So I can point out some similarities (w.r.t. my use case) :

1. The issue pops up on cold mornings/climate and lasts for about 50-100m.

2. It shows up when the car is made to roll forward. My usual parking requires me to reverse out for about 15-20m before engaging D mode. I never experienced judder during that manoeuvre.

3. In both cases, I had turned the steering wheel just as I took off.

I left the car with my BIL when I moved out of the country. But I did follow up with him about this issue. When I came across this thread I called him up and he confirmed that the issue still exists (ODO at 20k) and was observed two weeks ago when he started his drive to Kottayam from Bangalore. According to him, it still lasts only the first 50-100m. So the situation hasn't worsened per se. I'll be getting the car back after my quarantine and will definitely be putting this to test by changing my normal parking routine.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 12th October 2020 at 18:22.
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:46   #23
BHPian

Another Ignis owner here facing the same issue. Last week we picked up a used 2019 Ignis Delta AMT with 10k on the ODO. The car has exactly same behaviour as mentioned by others. The car judders on cold start, similar to judders if clutch is released too early released in a manual car. The judders hardly last for 20 - 30 meters, and then vanishes off. Strange thing is there were no judders for the past 1 week, and I'm observing the judder only for the past 2 days.

Has anyone able to resolve the issue? If the behaviour can be ignored, I don't mind leaving it alone as the initial judder doesn't bother me at all.

Cheers!
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:20   #24
KPR
BANNED

I'm driving my ignis daily now. Every morning I start with a Judder. Not a frustrating thing. But something concerning. It vanishes. For me the judder occurs just for <5m in forward drive. I reverse my car upto 15m before moving forward.

I remember once an aged (now retired) service person from MS local service asked me to follow this: Start the car, drive forward in 1st gear for few inches then reverse the car. Let me try that from tomorrow with first few inches in D then in R and then see if the judder vanishes.

Last edited by KPR : 3rd December 2020 at 14:21.
Old 2nd May 2021, 19:09   #25
BHPian

Myself have 2019 New Swift AMT Petrol. 2 weeks back, i had taken the medium to huge road hump in 2nd gear (M mode - 1000 rpm) thats when i experienced initial judder and moved down to 1st gear. And the next day onwards this juddering in cold start is what i am experiencing. During this time, i had also changed my tyres from 165/80/r14 to 185/70/R14 apollo tyres.

Last 1.5 weeks experiencing AMT Juddering during cold starts. Initial RPM on ignition stays at 1500 rpm and after a minute reduces to 800 rpm. Even after allowing to settle the initial rpm, i experience juddering as road infront of my house has incline and i have to use A-pedal to move the car. Creep function just holds the position.

It is similar to half clutch with less power/torque and does not have proper clutch bite. After moving the car for good 50-100m, the juddering is not there and rest is fine for the whole day. This is particular during cold start of car in the morning. There is no jerk, its only juddering during cold starts.

When i called SA, he said the engine must reach optimum temp and hence takes time for AMT Clutch to set for initial period. But am not convinced. Will probably ask for Clutch replacement.
Old 14th September 2021, 11:34   #26
BHPian

Hi. Have 2017 Ignis Amt with 17k on the odo. Have this problem from last 1 year or so. Inquired with the head technician with maruti, he insists on clutch plate replacement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks