Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2019, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Dealership under-filling engine oil?

I recently got my Honda City serviced from Honda Dealership.
Every time after oil change(3.6L for Honda city petrol), oil used to reach till max mark on dipstick.
But this time oil level was midway between Max and Min mark.
After pointing this issue to Honda and dealership, dealership has raised their hands saying they have filled 3.6 L oil and they are not wrong at anything.
My question is
1.where exactly oil level should reach after manufacturer recommended quantity oil filling ?
2.How can dipstick level will change for same amount of oil across multiple services?
3. Is there any shoddy thing going on here?
4. Has anyone of you faced similar issues ?

The oil level on dipstick is as below:
Dealership under-filling engine oil?-2-copy.jpg
pravint is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 12:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Dealership under-filling engine oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
I
But this time oil level was midway between Max and Min mark.
After pointing this issue to Honda and dealership, dealership has raised their hands saying they have filled 3.6 L oil and they are not wrong at anything.
Check oil level the first thing in morning after parking your car on a level surface overnight. If it shows less oil, top it up with the same oil.

And don't go back to that service center again.
saket77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 12:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Check oil level the first thing in morning after parking your car on a level surface overnight. If it shows less oil, top it up with the same oil.

And don't go back to that service center again.
Yes The attached pic is taken the day after keeping car on flat parking space for 12 hrs.
pravint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 12:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes The attached pic is taken the day after keeping car on flat parking space for 12 hrs.
Ensure there isn't any leak beneath the engine like from the sump or the oil filter. If everything is okay, then you need to top up slowly with the same grade oil, preferably from the same manufacturer till you reach the max mark.

Quote:
1.where exactly oil level should reach after manufacturer recommended quantity oil filling ?
The oil should be close to the 'max' mark on the dipstick. Try not to overshoot this level.

Quote:
2.How can dipstick level will change for same amount of oil across multiple services?
No, unless you have a leak. Remember, the filter can take in around 100 ml of oil at least, so account for that too.

Quote:
3. Is there any shoddy thing going on here?
No sure; could be a genuine mistake of underfilling too.

Quote:
4. Has anyone of you faced similar issues ?
I have faced overfilling issue! I had to return to drain excess oil. Since then I try to use my own oil where I am sure about the purity, quality and quantity.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 13:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Even now your oil level isn't alarming. Just keep an eye over leaks and if the level isn't going down, its fine. The level on the oil gauge should be anywhere between the MAX and MIN mark.

Most dealerships now use automated overhead filling systems where the parts incharge enters the quantity and grade of oil and the system dispenses the required oil automatically.

Level can vary post an oil change due to many factors, most common being how long the old oil was allowed to drain. If a mechanic drains for a short time and plugs back the drain bolt when there was still a thin stream coming out, there will be some old oil left in system. Sometimes mechanic leave the drain bolt open and carry on other jobs, effectively allowing higher drain time. Obviously that way there will be lesser volume of old oil left behind.

Your oil level at the moment is fine and just keep an eye on the level to ensure there isn't any leak/oil consumption.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 13:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Level can vary post an oil change due to many factors, most common being how long the old oil was allowed to drain. If a mechanic drains for a short time and plugs back the drain bolt when there was still a thin stream coming out, there will be some old oil left in system. Sometimes mechanic leave the drain bolt open and carry on other jobs, effectively allowing higher drain time. Obviously that way there will be lesser volume of old oil left behind.
While I agree that with your assessment that the level is still ‘within the limit’ but don’t actually agree with the quoted part.
The drain bolt if opened will allow roughly the same quantity of oil out even if left open for extended period, unless the parking level is altered or external pneumatic pressure is applied.
If you look at the oil level on this dipstick then you’ll realise it is closer to the half way mark than the max mark; I’ll prefer to top up.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 20th December 2019 at 13:36.
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 14:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Ensure there isn't any leak beneath the engine like from the sump or the oil filter. If everything is okay, then you need to top up slowly with the same grade oil, preferably from the same manufacturer till you reach the max mark.

Regards,
Saket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Even now your oil level isn't alarming. Just keep an eye over leaks and if the level isn't going down, its fine. The level on the oil gauge should be anywhere between the MAX and MIN mark.

Regards,
Shashi
There are no leaks in system, i am suspecting that mechnic entered wrong amount in oil filling machine.
pravint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 08:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dealership under-filling engine oil?

Well, if the circumstances you check oil every time when you see max-level and now are the same, and this time you see less oil in the dipstick, then yes, obviously there is less oil in the engine. However, just to confirm, recheck the level in the morning with car placed on level ground.

That said, dealerships do have the malpractice of playing with oil quantities and qualities. I ALWAYS take a drop of old oil in a tissue paper/newspaper before sending the car for service. Once back, I take a drop of new oil and check if they've really changed the oil. Since it's hard to make out by just visibly looking at the dipstick.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 21:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Every time after oil change(3.6L for Honda city petrol), oil used to reach till max mark on dipstick.

The drop of oil which has fallen on the white paper looks clean and new.
Roughly to reach the max marking on the dipstick, it will require another 300-400 ml top-up. If you plan to get it done, then get it done from Honda with the same oil.

Else, you can drive with this current oil level, there wont be any harm. This much oil level is acceptable. If the level goes down near minimum or further down, then the oil pressure lamp in the instrument cluster should warn you.

You have mentioned above, that there is no leak, but still i will suggest you to keep an eye on the oil level for the next 500 km. If the level do not go down further, it's the mechanic who is at fault. If the level goes down further, then you need to get your car checked.

Instead of complaining to the dealer, you can directly escalate to Honda with the pic attached.

Last edited by Samba : 21st December 2019 at 22:00.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 23:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

That said, dealerships do have the malpractice of playing with oil quantities and qualities. I ALWAYS take a drop of old oil in a tissue paper/newspaper before sending the car for service. Once back, I take a drop of new oil and check if they've really changed the oil. Since it's hard to make out by just visibly looking at the dipstick.
Can you please elaborate? Does the new oil leave a different imprint on the newspaper?
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 00:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Can you please elaborate? Does the new oil leave a different imprint on the newspaper?
Quoting SS-Travellers explanation on used oil analysis. There the blotting paper test is beautifully explained with pics.

I apply the same method on my cars to check the condition of the engine oil after 7,000-8,000 kms from oil change.
Sharing a link of the same from my Duster's ownership report-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4592554 (Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The first test (and a very simple one at that) that I am introduced to, is the Blotting Paper Test. A drop of oil is placed on a Whatman filter paper which is suspended over a beaker, and allowed to be absorbed over about 2 hours. The blot that forms is studied for size, the black deposits in the middle, and the ring(s) that form around it.
Attachment 1554079

The oil blot is held up against light and studied
Attachment 1554080
[left]
The interpretation is as follows:

- A colourless or slight yellow spot: new or very slightly used oil.
- Evenly dispersed black deposits (as seen here): used oil that still has good life left in it
- A dense, dark zone in the centre where the black deposits clump together: The oil has reached the end of its useful life
- A dark center with brownish outer ring: Severely oxidized oil
- A dark center with surrounding rings: Fuel in oil

As the oil gets oxidised and starts to lose its lubricant properties, it also becomes more and more viscous. So, for a given time for which the oil has been placed on the paper, the size of the blot reduces with use of the oil (i.e. new oil will leave a bigger spot than used oil, progressively getting smaller over usage).

SS-T: Is it any use to take a drop of oil on your fingertip and rub it between your fingers, like every mechanic does while checking the oil?
AG: Yes, checking oil like that has its usefulness, except that the mechanic does not really know what he is looking for. The things we look for when rubbing the oil between fingers, sniffing the oil, and touching it to the tongue are:
- whether there is any gritty feeling (metal particles?);
- whether there is any burnt smell (oxidized oil);
- whether there is a sour taste/smell (high total acid number or TAN);
- whether the oil is too viscous.
It takes a lot of experience to judge the oil like this, and even then it is not very accurate.
The link -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4056486 (Inside the Raaj Unocal Lubricants factory (Faridabad), used oil analysis & an interview)

Last edited by Samba : 22nd December 2019 at 00:13.
Samba is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks