Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 06:24   #1

A lesson I learnt to ignore - Xylo electrical issues (Alternator)

This is regarding my Xylo E4 2009 model. This car belonged to my dad and was passed on to me to take care of in Jan 2016. At the time the car was mostly only used for road trips and had done roughly 55K Kms.
A lesson I learnt to ignore - Xylo electrical issues (Alternator)-img20190623wa0090.jpg

I got the car and thought i would naturally fix a lot of things to make it road trip worthy again. At the time i didn't realize the car had any electrical issues at all.

I upgraded the head lamps to 90 W bulbs, checked fluids , changed wipers, and also changed a (rear) cigarette lighter port we used to power a Tropicool portable car fridge. At the time i didn't think much of it and got a good quality replacement.

We later set off to Rann Utsav in Gujarat from Gurgaon. On the way around 300 km in i noticed some thing peculiar.

Symptoms
- My instrument cluster would freeze and the check engine like would turn on.
- Along with it the power would spike up, the AC blower would run at a higher speed and the lights would glow brighter.
- But, the car would run smoothly without stalling.

Reference Video (i made recently)

I was recording this while i was driving on a empty road, wanted to show how my instrument cluster would freeze.

At first it felt as if my engine would cease. But because of the normal behavior of the engine and fluids levels okay and engine temperature under control.I natural suspected the electronic system. Possibly the ECU giving some issues, short battery or alternator.

The only issue was this was not a problem i could recreate it would happen for about 1 - 2 minutes and then everything would run smoothly. So, i did what any red blooded Indian would do. I said "gaadi garam ho gayi hai, lets halt for chai or lunch". Like expected, it worked the vehicle wouldn't give me any issues till the next few hundred kilometers.

I showed it to local mechanics, driver uncles who had Mahindra for years. The short but simple solution to it was just ignore it, Mahindra vehicles wont give you any issues, the instrument cluster is just window dressing.
I was not convinced with that and showed it to the Mahindra authorized service at Gurgaon after a 20K bill and about a day + in the workshop. They couldn't find a problem either and said alternator is fine, battery is fine. Nothing more to see or do.
Having the manufacturer give me a green light i just ignored it and felt stupid for spending 20K.

All this while, i also checked on forums for a solution but didn't find the symptoms i was facing.

About a year later, when i moved to Bangalore, the issue aggravated a bit more. My bulbs used to burn out within 5 minutes of starting out. Suddenly the spike would happen and bulb would go off. I got into a fix while driving back from Coorg at 4 am with no headlights.

Then i stumbled across this mechanic who replaced my bulbs. He mentioned its an alternator issue and he could service it for 2.5 - 3 K.
Photo (FIVE STAR BATTERY WORKS, Bellahalli, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560064)
A lesson I learnt to ignore - Xylo electrical issues (Alternator)-img_20191116_094958.jpg

Call it blind faith or a desperate attempt at getting this issue fixed. I took about 4 months to convince my self to give it to him for repair. Not knowing if he would worsen the issue or rectify it.

I sat with him and saw the alternator coil had burnt out
Pictures (here)
A lesson I learnt to ignore - Xylo electrical issues (Alternator)-img_20191116_094543.jpg
A lesson I learnt to ignore - Xylo electrical issues (Alternator)-img_20191116_094544.jpg
A lesson I learnt to ignore - Xylo electrical issues (Alternator)-img_20191116_094548.jpg
A lesson I learnt to ignore - Xylo electrical issues (Alternator)-img_20191116_094604.jpg
A lesson I learnt to ignore - Xylo electrical issues (Alternator)-img_20191116_094608.jpg

He claimed to replace all the parts and charged me 4K. I only paid him 3.6K thinking how i was scammed because i didn't know the local language. However, the bulb burning out issue had gone. But a dim battery light remained. Which i ignored as advised in the past.

After 2 months the issue popped up again, just the spike in power and no bulb burning out. Also, the battery was damp (liquid was overflowing) - again a sign of overcharging. This time i was wise enough to make a video and i also got a voltmeter to be sure what the issue was (because the mechanic has a feeling that i didn't know what i was talking about and he regularly expressed the same).

All i need to do is turn on the car and lightly accelerate for about a minute and the voltage would touch 16 - 17 V.
Video (Here)

I swiftly called the guy and he gave me a ear full on how he went though a big loss and he changed everything and i didn't pay him etc etc. None the less he said get the car he will check it out. He said a cutout would need to be replaced and he might have one lying around.

I went to him he replaced the cutout (TVS Lucas Alternator Regulator (cutout)) with an old one but the issue remained. I had a feeling in my gut that the issue indeed was that very component because the one he replaced with was a old one which didnt seem to have any branding on it. I told him i want to replace it with a new one. He directed my to a near by shop which dealt in auto parts.
Esteem Auto Spares - #482/1, 1St Floor, Kogilu Road, Maruthinagar, above ICICI ATM, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560064

The component cost 650 bucks and took about 5 - 10 minutes to install.
A lesson I learnt to ignore - Xylo electrical issues (Alternator)-tvs-lucas-alternator-cut-out.jpeg

Since, then i have been trouble free. Only issue that remains battery light dim glow remains. Now, given the car is over a decade old that i some thing i can just learn to ignore .
Dash666 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 07:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: A lesson I learnt to ignore - Xylo electrical issues (Alternator)

Given you fixed the alternator wiring and cutout two more things remain to check

1. Loose or corroded ground wire that earths the bulbs to the chassis

2. Alternator belt is loose or frayed
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 10:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash666 View Post
This Only issue that remains battery light dim glow remains.
Alternator output to battery connection - resistance in circuit. Most likely cause the coupler.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 11:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Given you fixed the alternator wiring and cutout two more things remain to check

1. Loose or corroded ground wire that earths the bulbs to the chassis

2. Alternator belt is loose or frayed
I will have to check the point 1. Didn't ever occur to check that.

On point 2, i am covered the belt is fine.

Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Alternator output to battery connection - resistance in circuit. Most likely cause the coupler.

Regards
Sutripta
Any clue where i can locate that ? or the colloquial Bangalore mechanic friendly term for it ?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th March 2020 at 11:19. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 18th March 2020, 12:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any clue where i can locate that ? or the colloquial Bangalore mechanic friendly term for it ?
Just the connection from the alternator to the battery. Get that checked for resistance. Take your multimeter along and show him.

Last edited by hserus : 18th March 2020 at 12:07.
Old 18th March 2020, 15:22   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A lesson I learnt to ignore - Xylo electrical issues (Alternator)

I had a similar issue with my old 2.6DI Scorpio many years back. Mahindra service people were clueless as ever. The FNG electrician however was able to diagnose it to the cutout in 5 minutes. The cutout was changed and the problem was solved for good.
Old 18th March 2020, 17:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Eyeball it.
For a circuit meant to carry 60 (or is it 90) amps, the difference in resistance will not show up on a normal multimeter.
An easy confirmation (NOT cure) is to lay another line in parallel with nice thick wire. (All the usual safety and juggad blah blah apply).

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 18:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Good that the issue is resolved, but personally I would have avoided that kind of shop. Just the board gives me jitters about trusting my vehicle to such places. OTOH, in those four months, why didnt you check on the proposed solution in other places ?
Old 18th March 2020, 21:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Good that the issue is resolved, but personally I would have avoided that kind of shop. Just the board gives me jitters about trusting my vehicle to such places. OTOH, in those four months, why didnt you check on the proposed solution in other places ?
He apparently spent 20k at an authorised service center without their even touching the alternator. Some local mechanic in a beat up shed did better diagnosis than the Mahindra SA.
Old 18th March 2020, 21:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
He apparently spent 20k at an authorised service center without their even touching the alternator. Some local mechanic in a beat up shed did better diagnosis than the Mahindra SA.
Not disputing that. However, when a diagnosis is given but such a place, I would still try for a second opinion at another place - even a FNG. The person's diagnosis was correct, however how does one trust such a place at first go, and for a job on the alternator ?
Old 19th March 2020, 00:01   #11
BHPian

Hi.
came across this article and immediately reminded of similar issue when I had Xylo. I had posted the details : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4235434 (Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up)

After few months of above incident, I had also got the alternator's bearings replaced at similar local shop (ones specializes in alternator works), faintly remember the cost was not more than 1500 bucks (parts + labour). Because of the faulty bearing (not freely moving), the current was not constant and creating fluctuations.

Some of these local shops are really good in their work, I had a lot of such good experiences with such. They also cost so less than the ASC or branded workshops!

In my above quoted link, the issue cropped in return of Bhutan trip with family, peak summer - I didn't mention in my original post then. I first went to nearest M&M dealer in that city, they wasted few hours unable to understand the issue, some guys even giving lame statements. Seeing our situation, luckily was one of the good guys there personally pointed to this private workshop, who immediately knew what the problem was - rectifier!
I had similar experience with those Diesel Pump / Injector cleaner workshops too.
The pictures you see in that PDF File, work was done by me personally and shop pics for ref :-)

Keep your alternator in good shape, basic service once in few years. I used to do quite few works (DIYs too) on my car, some even documented on this forum.

Sold my Xylo - exactly (!) 2 yrs back, at ODO 196K.

regards,
Pranav
Old 19th March 2020, 07:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not disputing that. However, when a diagnosis is given but such a place, I would still try for a second opinion at another place - even a FNG. The person's diagnosis was correct, however how does one trust such a place at first go, and for a job on the alternator ?
90% of the FNGs out there are guys sitting in tin sheds. As long as they know their job, who cares that the surroundings aren't fancy? Also the alternator is one of the simpler parts to repair, basic electrical work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks