Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2017, 18:15   #136
BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up

Hi friends,

My Vehicle: Xylo E6 (June-2010 model), current ODO = ~183000 KMs

Topic: Alternator issues, resolved.

This May'17, I was on a long road trip and this problem happened when OD was about ~177000 KMs.

Symptoms:
- bit delayed cranking, system reset just like when battery disconnected (DIS console readings were reset, HU settings reset);
- voltage drops, affecting electrical devices (AC, lights, horns, music system etc);
- battery not charging properly;

I had installed this Lighter Socket splitter & charger (link) it was showing voltage changes in real-time, and low-voltage resulted in blinking digits.

Very useful gadget, apart from multiplying your socket & USB points, you will know real-time about voltage changes when you start your regular tasks eg. mobile charging (low), horn, headlights, AC, power-window (worst), etc.
Standard voltage should be 12.5v on a vehicle not started, without running any device. On a running vehicle, the voltage should be ~14v, depending on how many devices are running.

Troubleshooting (identifying the real cause!):
When the voltage dropped, affecting the electrical devices to ill-perform, it was clear that problem was in electrical department, but where ?!

I really didnt doubt battery, as it was changed just a year back in April 2016 (link) and just before leaving on this trip I had got the battery checked at my known shop, found it OK.
Still I did some tasks for peace of mind. Firstly, cleaned the terminals, inserted a small wire piece to get proper contact of terminals. Next, at a shop got the battery checked, one of cell was bit fuming, and battery was not showing fully charged. But technically, with such a long trip and daily long drive, I doubted any issue within battery for being low charged. I know, things can go wrong anytime, but still. Also, when the vehicle was running on good speed, as per me the electricals should have worked properly, but it didn't!

In all these 7 years, never did I touch the alternator (TVS-Lucas make OEM fitted), but I was somehow getting a feel that something was wrong within the alternator. Found a Bosch authorized shop, and explained the issue. The guys were really efficient, the battery was checked, and also the alternator cover was opened. The alternator was just kept mounting, no changes. From inside, the voltage regulator part was removed, and found that carbon brushes were totally worn-out. Voila, the problem was identified, and it wasn't really a big problem, and pretty pocket friendly too. These brushes, spring-mounted, keep rubbing (electrical contacts) on the coil underneath it, wound on the alternator. Over the years, these brushes can worn-out. I was told that new 'original' Lucas Regulator would cost around Rs.800, and I said OK to it.

However, the guy did a workaround (jugaad), and just soldered new brushes on the existing regulator, quote mere Rs.180. They informed me that new part was somehow misplaced in their shop, and may take time to search. The engineers and even owner were nice people, and they really help me in distress situation. The vehicle was now properly starting, but I was told to keep running the vehicle for 50+ KMs without any electrical devices (AC, music etc), and the battery will soon get properly charged. I asked if this workaround will really work, I was confidently replied that no issues with such solution. After running the vehicle for some time, I kept noticing the voltage on my gadget, and now it was all good. Finally I started the AC, and the cool air made us comfortable.

I completed my trip properly, without any issues, and also drove for few more days in local. But I didn't want to take any chance on above solution, and few days back got a new Voltage Regulator (Rs.700), and had it fixed. The earlier regulator is kept as spare for now. I still got the battery re-checked at my regular guy's place, it was all OK.

Attached file contains the pictures for explanation.

Suggestion: Like in my case, opening of voltage regulator on alternator takes just 5 minutes, it would be worth-while to check this part if your vehicle is older than 3-4 years.

regards,
Pranav
Attached Files
File Type: pdf alternator regulator (Xylo).pdf (1.80 MB, 1361 views)
pcpranav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 20:22   #137
BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up

@pranav, jacs and the fellow Xylo owners
Hi guys,
Sharing a picture of Xylo I found on Xylo Facebook page just because its worth it.
Do you think that it has upsized tyres? Xylo definitely looks stunning in this picture.
I have read posts after posts but seems no one ever upsized the tyres on a Xylo. Even I am skeptical about it as it may impact negatively on the handling and suspension aspect of the vehicle, but 215/75 R15 looks too small for its size.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up-547215_10201844515384594_1635450653_n.jpg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 17th July 2017 at 20:25.
wrongturn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 17:11   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
@pranav, jacs and the fellow Xylo owners
Hi guys,
Sharing a picture of Xylo I found on Xylo Facebook page just because its worth it.
Do you think that it has upsized tyres? Xylo definitely looks stunning in this picture.
I have read posts after posts but seems no one ever upsized the tyres on a Xylo. Even I am skeptical about it as it may impact negatively on the handling and suspension aspect of the vehicle, but 215/75 R15 looks too small for its size.
Hi,
indeed a beautiful pic, Xylo is easily capable of all such (& more) terrains.

Looking at the pic, I think they are stock size tyres with stock alloys (H9 model ?). I suggest if you can connect with that user ("Firosh Aryadan") and query him directly, I saw he's on FB (sry, I dont have FB acct!!). As you also pointed, bigger tyres could negative effect on the handling & stability.

The initial Xylo batches, E series had more body roll ("boat-effect"), which was addressed to great extend in H series, major tweaks within in the suspension, and some minor changes in body. However, in general, Xylo has a higher Center of Gravity as compared to other SUV/MUV (eg. Scorpio, Bolero, Innova) and hence it may still have a slight roll. In my vehicle, I have noticed that even tyre pressure plays a big role in providing stability.
With a loaded vehicle, one will hardly feel such roll, and it keeps planted to road even on high speeds. Caution to be observed on high speeds, as it behaves differently on turns or while braking. Once you know the vehicle better, you can do too good with you

regards,
Pranav
Old 18th July 2017, 19:03   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi,
indeed a beautiful pic, Xylo is easily capable of all such (& more) terrains.

Looking at the pic, I think they are stock size tyres with stock alloys (H9 model ?).

The initial Xylo batches, E series had more body roll ("boat-effect"),

regards,
Pranav
I am a proud owner of Xylo H4 ABS 2015. Its a very capable tourer indeed and I have taken it to some challenging terrains already.
Never had any complaints with the suspension setup or drivability or handling or power its a perfect package for the price, incredibly VFM.
IMHO these are not stock alloys and even if they are of size 15 still the sidewall of tyres look taller than the usual 215/75 R15 that comes as standard with Xylo. I am confident its an upsize because there was another pic which clearly showed wider tyres than usual.
The facebook pic of Xylo is from year 2012, and I left a message but got no response.
Thanks for the reply.

Regards
Abhishek
Old 25th September 2017, 17:54   #140
BHPian

Mahindra Xylo replace Brake Switch & Clutch Switch

Hi friends,
allow me to share some 'different' updates, as the regular tasks are ongoing, and possibly not interesting !

Current ODO: ~187000 KMs

Since many days I had observed:
a) rear brake light used to stay ON, and soon I was able to pinpoint the exact cause
b) at low speeds, the vehicle used to judder and seemed like momentarily losing power, and suddenly waking-up to power. I was confident of the actual reason.

Bit tight schedules and some laziness, I prolonged attending the same. Last Friday I started bit early from office and went to nearby Mahindra workshop (G3 Nerul), purchased few parts : Brake Switch, Clutch Switch, 2 x pedal rubbers.

Regarding the pedal rubbers (clutch & brake pedals), they do wear-out, and its necessary to keep a watch. Without the rubber, your feet will slip on the metal pedal, and can cause accident. In the past, I have changed 2-3 times these rubbers, and I noticed that wear depends on few basic conditions: quality, usage of pedals, atmosphere, type of shoes, water/mud on rubber, fitting. Interestingly, in past twice I have purchased from a reputed dealer, costing me Rs.60 per rubber. Whereas this time from Mahindra Workshop (G3 Motors, Nerul) they charged me just Rs.20 per rubber. Its just a 2 min job to replace these pedal rubbers.

Brake Switch replacement:
Because of the push button on this switch gone kaput, even after releasing the brake pedal, many times the brake light used to stay ON. Twice I did apply WD40 spray on this push button, but it didn't help, and I had to randomly keep tapping the brake pedal to close the circuit. The light surely consumed unnecessary electrical power (I keep a watch on the voltmeter in my charger, nice device), but I believe such circuit would not really be giving "Brake-ON" input to ECU. However the good thing (built-in electrical design) is after shutdown & locking the vehicle, the brake light used to shutdown automatically.

OT: Just reminds of the "follow-me-home-headlight" feature in many vehicles, including mine, but I couldn't figure how to disable it.

The access to this switch could be bit tricky, otherwise replacing the switch is a small task. Gently detach the electrical connection. There is one nut fixed on the frame, and another nut needs to be tightened on the switch from back side. While fitting ensure that push button is completely pressed (to stop circuit) when pedal is kept released, accordingly the rear nut may need slight adjustment of tightening. Once switch is fixed, attach the electrical connector. Now check the brake light by pressing the brake pedal, and observe the play as needed.

Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up-view-floor.jpg

Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up-brake-switch-pressing-opr.jpg

Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up-brake-switch-pressing.jpg

Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up-brake-switch-old-new.jpg

Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up-brake-switch.jpg

Found related article : https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-spencer-cates

Xylo Brake Switch : Part Nu 0606DA0021N
http://www.mindadsl.com/product_deta...=S03028-000E00 (On my switches, I didnt find the company name inscribed)

Only for ref : Link-1 and Link-2

Clutch Switch replacement:
As wrote earlier, I was sure of problem due to kaput clutch switch. In the past, twice I have changed this switch.
some previous talks can be found HERE

However this time I actually found the rear nut to be loose, and it was not holding the switch properly. I simply adjusted the push button position and tightened the nut, didn't replace the switch yet. Its just a day yet, and I think the problem is solved! The working & adjustment of clutch switch can be easy to identify, by watching the "N" (Neutral) indicator in the MDI/DIS console.

Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up-clutch-switch-pressing-opr.jpg

Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up-clutch-mdi-status.jpg
Notice that I haven't removed the original protective film from this console display even after 7+ years/1.87 Lac KM :-)

Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up-clutch-switch.jpg

Xylo Clutch Switch: Part Nu 0606DB0011N
http://www.mindadsl.com/product_deta...=S03032-000E00 (On my switches, I didn't find the company name inscribed)

Only for ref : Link-1 & Link-2

While I was trying to online locate the OEM for these switches, I came across a part "Clutch Pedal Position Sensor". I think maybe this part would be conveying something to ECU ?
http://www.mindadsl.com/products.php?p_id=2&sub_id=6 (shows part for XUV, Xylo, Scorpio). Only for ref : LINK

However, in my vehicle visibly I couldn't locate any such part, especially I also checked for any more electrical connector, but none. Maybe its specific to certain newer models (H series?) of Xylo ?

Did two more small tasks :
- cleaned the Cabin AC Filter (located behind the glove box) and AC blower motor (located under the glove box). As the dust particles get trapped in these parts, the AC performance decrease. I notice a drop in cooling and air flow every 30-40 days, and then get it cleaned. Surely the filter is clogged, and simple run under water is enough. I recall a LINK by our colleague.

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th September 2017 at 09:49. Reason: Added a line on request. Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 20:38   #141
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for not updating the thread in last two years.

But now I am feeling sad to post this.
On 11-12-2019, our Xylo started losing pickup. This was Indication No. 1.
I thought the Air Filter must have clogged up. So did not take it seriously and just replaced the Air Filter myself.

Yesterday I used the vehicle for 30 kms and the vehicle completely lost pickup and was emitting lots of Black smoke even on normal acceleration. This was Indication No. 2. I asked my FNG over phone who replied the Turbo Conked Off.

I did not take even this too seriously and decided to drive to home (30 kms). The Engine Rpm refused to rise over 1500-2000 rpm. This was Indication No. 3.

I drove for 30 kms. I was 4 kms from home and the car simply refused to move forward and would stall if I tried to release the clutch after Slotting in 1st Gear (in reverse gear too).
Today on showing to a nearby mechanic (known to our Father's Friend), he opened up the vehicle and gave me a big shocking new. The Turbo failed. And due to driving the car with a failed turbo, the Engine Valves, Valve Guides, Seals, Head Gasket, Head Surfacing and related parts have got damaged.
The Estimate given by him is around Rs. 65000/- (Turbo-@Rs. 20000/- and remaining for Engine work).

The vehicle has crossed 3,40,000+kms
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 23:21   #142
BHPian

Sorry to hear. Should have heeded at inidication #1 or atleast #2. With the new head etc, the engine won't be as smooth as before.
Old 14th December 2019, 02:40   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I drove for 30 kms. I was 4 kms from home and the car simply refused to move forward and would stall if I tried to release the clutch after Slotting in 1st Gear (in reverse gear too).
Today on showing to a nearby mechanic (known to our Father's Friend), he opened up the vehicle and gave me a big shocking new. The Turbo failed. And due to driving the car with a failed turbo, the Engine Valves, Valve Guides, Seals, Head Gasket, Head Surfacing and related parts have got damaged.
The Estimate given by him is around Rs. 65000/- (Turbo-@Rs. 20000/- and remaining for Engine work)
Everything will be fine, just stay positive. My FNG mechanic replaces blown turbos on dusters every month. It's really common on those cars. The 2.2 in your car is a strong and reliable engine, the mechanic is just scaring you! Do some research at your end and then come to a final conclusion.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 14th December 2019 at 08:42. Reason: Trimmed the posts inside quotes for better readability. Thanks
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 08:03   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

The vehicle has crossed 3,40,000+kms
With this mileage, investment to return has long crossed the Toyota numbers. Ask the FNG if the Injectors can be serviced as well.

If you are planning a replacement/upgrade, only TUV 300+ is on the menu for the rough road conditions. It isn't as cushioning: wheelbase of 268 Vs Xylo's 276 cm.
Old 14th December 2019, 08:39   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
With this mileage, investment to return has long crossed the Toyota numbers. Ask the FNG if the Injectors can be serviced as well.

If you are planning a replacement/upgrade, only TUV 300+ is on the menu for the rough road conditions. It isn't as cushioning: wheelbase of 268 Vs Xylo's 276 cm.

TUV 300+ has side facing thrid row. Only a Xylo can replace a Xylo. Even Mahindra's official replacement Marrazzo will not provide the same ride comfort as a Xylo. Makes complete sense to repair such a trusted workhorse.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 09:56   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up

The turbo was flinging oil into the engine because of a blown seal as it appears to be the case here.

This happens over time, a warning sign is increased oil consumption and vibration at times.

Xylo's third row has no replacement in the market, absolutely nothing compares, makes sense to keep the vehicle.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 01:15   #147
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up

Very sorry to hear about the turbo failure and the huge cost associated for repairs. Xylo is a great product and I can proudly say being an Ex-Xylo owner, no other car in the segment offers the combination of roomy cabin and ruggedness together. Mine was sold after it clocked 2.5 lakh kms and I still miss the airiness of the cabin. All the best and I hope your machine is back on the roads soon.

Here’s probably the last pic of my machine during our trip to Spiti valley last year:

Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up-d0994038f305470ca0e859e5aaa961ab.jpeg
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 02:14   #148
BHPian

There is an exclusive owner's thread for almost all the cars here, should we also make a thread for Xylo owner's where we can discuss everything related to Xylo?
We are very rare already and information is scattered in various different ownership threads most of which are dead. Xylo won't be upgraded to BS6 so probably it would be hard in future to maintain it. A single thread with all the discussions would benefit us and other xylo owners as well.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks