Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2011, 17:12   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS):-Spacious, Feature-Packed, 8-Seater, Head-Turner Beast is

How much time it takes for checking the Health of Glow Plugs of a Common Rail Engine?
Also is it necessary to get it done from MASS only?
Old 10th November 2011, 16:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS):-Spacious, Feature-Packed, 8-Seater, Head-Turner Beast is

Come on Experts, Please answer the above questions.
Old 10th November 2011, 17:48   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
The Xylo has covered around 1,18,000+kms since 11 Nov. 2009.
that is a lot of miles in 2 years - it is for personal use only, right?
My Xylo (Sep 2009) is still pushing 28K.... almost new compared to yours

Quote:
How much time it takes for checking the Health of Glow Plugs of a Common Rail Engine? Also is it necessary to get it done from MASS only?
Checking glow plugs is not very time consuming. I should think an hour tops. But them I am only speaking from my friends "Jeep" experience, don't know if it is more involved for the mEagle engine. AFAIK glow plugs don't have a KM limit. My cousin's Scorpio has crossed 2.5km - they replaced clutch plates, shocks, tires, battery etc., but they never touched any part of the engine.

If your Xylo is still under warranty, then it is better to get engine-related work done at MASS. The MASS in my area is quite responsive and reasonably good at their job.

Cheers
Teja
Old 10th November 2011, 23:25   #79
Senior - BHPian

Initially I thought it would be related to the battery. So got the battery checked at my regular battery dealer. He found nothing wrong with the battery and charging mechanism.
He advised me "Get the Glow Plugs checked but only at MASS since the car has many 'electronic sensors' and it would make more sense to get the car checked at MASS than at Local Garage".

Since its Common Rail DI Engine, I guess checking Glow Plugs would take more time as against non common rail ones.

I want to know Is there any DIY way to check Glow Plugs for Common Rail Direct Injection Engines (Indigo XL Dicor and Xylo mEagle) at the home itself so that the MASS does not take me for a ride?

EDIT: -

Also what is the approx. cost of Glow Plugs + Labour for replacing them at A$$?

The Glow Plugs of our Normal Indigo (IDI) is 1500/- for set of 4.

BTW, I am sending the car at MASS tomorrow for checking the reason behind this starting problem.

Will update on this after getting "information" from MASS.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 10th November 2011 at 23:31.
Old 14th November 2011, 14:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

I was busy so could not update.

On Saturday, the MASS checked the car in the morning and told me that the Battery is the culprit. On asking whether the Glow Plugs are OK, they replied "There are no Glow Plugs for Common Rail Engines but sensors".

Yesterday I replaced the Battery with new one. Exide Brand.

Today I did not face any starting trouble though I started the car at around 11:30 am.

The Rubber Bushes of the Intercooler were worn out (read torn).
When I asked the SA if new rubber bushes are available, he told me separate bushes are not available off the shelf and come with Intercooler only and the Intercooler costs @5000-6000/-".

I purchased the bushes from local shop for Rs. 10/- each (3Nos). I cut the outer cylinder of bushes such that the clamp of intercooler can accommodate it.
I think the bushes will last around 6 months. But still Rs. 30/- for 6 months does not matter much.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 14th November 2011 at 14:55.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 07:49   #81
Senior - BHPian

Differential Oil Query.

Yesterday I got the Gear Oil and Diff. Oil Replaced.
I purchased 4 litres of Gear Oil "Bameral HP 80W90 GL-4".
2litres were filled in the Transmission Case.
Accidently, the remaining 2 litres of Gear Oil is filled in Diff. Oil Case.
The requirement for Diff. Oil is 80W90 GL-5.

The car has run @25-30kms after replacing the Diff. Oil.
Should I get the Diff Oil changed or let it as it is?

The Air Conditioner Section in Maintenance Schedule of the Owner's Manual mentions that the Mesh should be cleaned every 10,000kms.
Can this be DIY since Service Centres and Local Garages don't do it saying "No need to do it,Sir" or "It is very time consuming job, Sir"?
If yes, please post the procedure.

Might be Off-Topic, but could not understand where to post it so posting here itself--
I have recently got the AC gas refilled in our Indigo LS (May 2004) which has run 2,27,XXX kms due to lack of cooling.
Is it necessary to change/top up the lubricating oil?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 3rd December 2011 at 08:14. Reason: Added the AC related queries.
Old 4th December 2011, 08:51   #82
BHPian

Re: Differential Oil Query.

Quote:
...xx...
Should I get the Diff Oil changed or let it as it is?

..xx..The Air Conditioner Section ....
If yes, please post the procedure.

..xx...
Is it necessary to change/top up the lubricating oil?
Hi friend,
I'ld respond to your 2nd query (only) for AC mesh cleaning, in two parts.

I got it done at MASS itself few months back, Rs.600; was recommended to me get it done every 6-8 months. They opened the front bumper and then use the pressurized air to blow the dust. I had seen a lot of dust being cleared which would be good for AC efficiency and other parts in general. care to be taken not to damage the fins/pores by direct contact or blow of air (similar care while cleaning of engine bay where particularly inter-cooler is located).

secondly, the in-cabin AC blower, located under the globe box, also has been cleaned few times, cost ~Rs.300. Recommend to be done 6 months or 10000 kms. One time was paid, another 2 times free as I had complained of motor noise, so they cleaned it FoC. (Btw, as agreed with them, if the noise grows to extent, they would change motor assembly u/Warranty.)
Typically, when the in-car air circulation is ON, the dust particles enter the blower motor, which has a pollen filter doing a decent job. If dust accumulates there, AC efficiency maybe hampered, also not good for fresh air (health perspective). Also, dust and such small particles could get clogged inside the motor, which has a clutch-like assembly and may create noise (typical motor's frictional churrrrr / kkkrrrrrr).

OT: On this blower motor part, I have a story to tell. One of my friend's cousin has AC repair shop and over a tea we 3 were casually talking of car AC. He mentioned, that many-a-times, when car owner complaints of less cooling or low air, xASS or layman garagewalla simply removes this pollen filter - so the air pressure increases (no blockage by filter!) but introduces the dust inside motor. eventually, the motor gets damaged and customer is asked to change entire assembly ($$$). he also mentioned that xASS may cost a bomb, whereas pvt AC workshop may turnout to be reasonable.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 22:37   #83
BHPian

since last few days, I was reading about AC Cabin Filter and thought of getting it replaced in my Xylo, assuming the cost ~500 based upon this link http://zipfilter.com/img/Temlate_313...aug%202011.pdf .

Today happened to visit nearly MMASS (not my regular one) and asked about it. Technician replied that in Xylo design this filter is eliminated and only a fiber mesh is provided, which need to be cleaned (air+water). In my above post, I mentioned this cleaned "AC Blower motor" and maybe repeat in my next visit - heat (summer) is increasing!

btw, any firsthand info on AC Servicing / Cleaning would be welcome, incl parts, labor, warranty.
Old 19th November 2012, 16:40   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav
btw, any firsthand info on AC Servicing / Cleaning would be welcome, incl parts, labor, warranty.
Information on AC Servicing/Cleaning for our Indigo XL Grand Dicor--
I Am Just Mentioning The Main Points Without Going Deep.

I got the complete Dashboard removed and the Condenser Coil cleaned from an AC Related Shop. The Condenser Coil was cleaned with "Some Special Solution" as per the Mechanic (But I know he had soaked it in Soapy water for about 15-20 mins). Then he checked for leakage with the help of Vacuum. After that he filled Compressor Oil about 50-100ml. Then he filled AC Gas.
Now the AC Performance has improved too much (might be 200%). Before this cleaning, I used to keep the Blower Speed at 2 and I would not shiver at night. But now even if the Speed is kept on 1, after some time I shiver at night.

Instead of back to back post, I will post my query in this post itself.
Our Xylo is facing strange problem.
It shuts off and restarts on its own while running.
The engine shuts off (all the tell-tale lights on the dashboard glow) and it comes to life within fraction of seconds on its own. This problem has started occurring since 1 month ago. I don't know the frequency of occurrence of problem. It occurs irrespective of day & night.

Today I took the car to M&MASS, Solapur. I met the Works Manager and told him directly that I want to get the car scanned through the laptop software for the above mentioned problem. He told me that the Laptop is under repair and connected the Mini Smart to the car. Then he said "There is problem with the Battery. Either the battery is at fault or the Battery Terminals might be loose". The battery terminals were already tight. I returned from there and went to my Battery Dealer. The Electrolyte level had dropped to minimum level. He topped up the level and checked and replied "There is no problem with battery or charging mechanism. Might be either the wiring is loose somewhere or the ignition switch is faulty".

Any ideas, what is the problem?
Old 21st November 2012, 14:47   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our Xylo is facing strange problem.
It shuts off and restarts on its own while running.
The engine shuts off (all the tell-tale lights on the dashboard glow) and it comes to life within fraction of seconds on its own. This problem has started occurring since 1 month ago. I don't know the frequency of occurrence of problem. It occurs irrespective of day & night.
This happens when there is a fault in the clutch switch or if it is kaput.

Please change that. Even I was facing the same issue. The engine will be running, but you lose power momentarily. The rpm falls to Zero and then suddenly comes back to life. This is all due to a faulty clutch switch which is attached to the clutch pedal. Please change that and everything will be fine.
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:30   #86
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I drove the car myself for a distance of more than 260 kms. I did not face the above mentioned problem of engine shutting down and coming back to life.
Might be the chauffeur not driving properly.
I will check out and post the update.
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:11   #87
Senior - BHPian

Hi IndigoXLGrandDi, could you please tell us your odometer reading now ? Would be interesting to know.

I too own a Xylo now, and am loving every bit of the ownership, especially the long drives on the Bangalore Mumbai highway
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:26   #88
rkg
Senior - BHPian

The current ex show room price of Xylo E8 with ABS in solapur is 9.3 Lakhs an increase of 1.3 lakhs since its introduction. base model d4 cost is almost same as Safari LX and scorpio LX.

Mahindra have perfected the art of introductory pricing and then increasing it steeply

Xylo E9 costs 10.7 lakhs in Bangalore Ex showroom, on road 13 lakhs.
E8 ABS is 9.6 in Bangalore
Old 7th January 2013, 20:40   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
This happens when there is a fault in the clutch switch or if it is kaput.

Please change that. Even I was facing the same issue. The engine will be running, but you lose power momentarily. The rpm falls to Zero and then suddenly comes back to life. This is all due to a faulty clutch switch which is attached to the clutch pedal. Please change that and everything will be fine.
absolutely right, Sir. Last month, when ODO was ~61K, I had the same problem of rpm touching zero and then come back to life, after a mild shudder. It became a worry and irritating during traffic conditions. Living with it for few days, I started to isolate the problem - no electrical interference observed in lights or music system. it happened only during clutch, and the moment I tapped the accelerator pedal then it was all OK. spoke the the adviser on phone and was advised to change the clutch switch (electrical in nature), but wasnt much of worry to continue for few more days in my busy schedule.

in my next visit it was changed, total ~Rs.300. but I somehow missed the activity, maybe speaking to manager or wandering on floor.

Last edited by pcpranav : 7th January 2013 at 20:41.
Old 8th January 2013, 10:35   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
in my next visit it was changed, total ~Rs.300. but I somehow missed the activity, maybe speaking to manager or wandering on floor.
Clutch switch cost 141/-. This was the cost I paid when I changed mine. Also even after replacing that switch I used to get this issue once in awhile. Hence I have disconnected it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks