Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would be your pick? 1.0 litre turbo or 1.5 litre NA?
1.0 litre turbo 155 36.47%
1.5 litre NA 270 63.53%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2021, 09:27   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol: Smaller turbo engine vs larger naturally-aspirated one

Hyundai Aura against Honda City

Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 12:09   #77
Senior - BHPian

Honda City NA Manual with Kia Sonet DCT

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 19:21   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Once you get used to a DI turbo petrol, there's no way one can go back to NA. They just feel anemic.

There's a very valid reason manufacturers are moving towards turbo petrols - emission requirements. To comply with the latest emission norms, the only option is downsizing and making the engines more efficient. As a side effect of making the engines more efficient, we petrol heads get more power as efficiency and power go hand in hand.

I for one am really happy that these horsepower wars are permeating down even to the budget segment. Better engines, faster and safer cars for all I say.
I am really not convinced that turbo petrols cause less pollution then NA ones. Although I am not an engineer and more intelligent person can throw some light on it. But to me this low emission from turbo petrols seems to be the case similar to Volkswagen Diesel car fiasco some couple of years back..

Naturally a 1.0 litre turbo engine will produce less pollution compared to 1.3 or 1.5 litre NA petrol
when idling thanks to leaser consumption of fuel. But in a real world scenrio these cars with smaller engine will be using the turbo the moment you press accelerator. That's when pollution would rise. So testing for pollution should be done when they are delivering similar power. But unfortunately most testing is done when idling.

Similar thing about fuel efficiencies. While idling the fuel efficiency figures would be good but as the turbo is hit, the real world efficiency could be less then NA. In a NA engine fuel burning is linear to acceleration , while in a turbocharger the moment turbo is hit there would be exponential burst of fuel which not be fuel efficient compared to a NA engine.

Remember these are really small capacity petrol turbos unlike the usual diesel engine cars which do have bigger capacity engines. So unlike them these petrols would be running with turbos on most of the time.

Only in the scenario of a stop start traffic jam ,that you may find that petrol turbos are more efficient as in this scenario you may not hit a turno. But in this case you may feel lack of power too.
Old 20th August 2022, 02:53   #79
BHPian

Voted 1.0 turbo.
Between a 1.0 turbo and 1.5 NA, I will choose the turbo as long as it is 4 cylinder and tuned for performance. If a turbo gets the tune for mileage, it is painful to drive and takes getting used to.

1.5 NA are usually adequate and linear but usually lack the sudden punch when needed. I found the CITY boring to drive compared to POLO TSI (3 cylinder though).

The only NA petrol I regret not buying is the Ford 1.5 3cylinder dragon series in a Ecosport. It was just fantastic and not marketed properly. That engine is a gem, inside an ecosport with Torque converter AT was like a perfect buy for ages.

Downsizing is the norm especially for petrol engines and turbo petrols might slowly eat up all NA in future, before EVs come.
So if one loves big size NA petrol engines, this is the last chance to buy one in a petrol Alcazar, Innova or Tucson.
Old 20th August 2022, 08:02   #80
BHPian

Actually, a larger turbo for me. Something like a 1.5 l or higher 4 cylinder with turbo would be my wish.

But only if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. We are just stepping into the post NA, post turbo world, and it’s really hard to even convince myself for a pure ICE (NA or turbo) for my next ride. I am so eager to experience the hybrids and EVs.
Old 21st August 2022, 19:38   #81
BANNED

Voted for 1.0 Turbo. Just did test drive of Kia Sonet 1.0 IMT, Nexon, Brezza and Venue. Engine felt okay and further with semi automatic or automatic variants it is the natural choice.
Old 21st August 2022, 23:39   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
Voted 1.0 turbo.

Downsizing is the norm especially for petrol engines and turbo petrols might slowly eat up all NA in future, before EVs come.
So if one loves big size NA petrol engines, this is the last chance to buy one in a petrol Alcazar, Innova or Tucson.
Turbos FE is not great in City.

Downsizing is not the norm yet. For indian market, i believe hybrids will eat away NA engines area. Turbo's durability over a period might put off buyers. Again, its a guess and we need to wait and watch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks