Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2020, 14:36   #1
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

50K service and CVT transmission oil replacement update

Here's an update on the 50K service of my Baleno CVT (Zeta). Also, I wanted to get the CVT Transmission oil checked and replaced during this service.

Though the service manual doesn't mention anything regarding the inspection and replacement of CVT oil, I wanted the service centre to go ahead and replace.

So, I requested them to place the order before hand and notify me when they're ready.

This post might be the first to be documented on Team-BHP regarding the CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for Baleno CVT.

During this service, MASS made a quick call to NEXA technicians on the oil replacement. After getting the required instruction and procedure, they began the replacement. So similar to engine oil replacement, the CVT oil was drained and in went fresh CVT Fluid Green 2.

Total quantity consumed was about 2.2 litres.

It looks like MASS procures a 4litre ECSTAR CVT fluid can only based on customer's request.

Apart from this, I got a pair of rubber mudflaps fixed on the RS rear bumper.

MASS followed strict guidelines by sanitizing the vehicle before and after service. Also, fresh plastic covers on seat, gear knob and steering were once again provided during delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for the Maruti Baleno CVT-50k-service-bill.jpg  

CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for the Maruti Baleno CVT-img20200530wa0001.jpg  

CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for the Maruti Baleno CVT-baleno.jpg  

Prodigy07 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 07:55   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for the Maruti Baleno CVT

Thanks for sharing, Prodigy07! As you said, this is an important post since there is no data on it, and CVTs are very sensitive to their oil & timely changes. Copying your post to a new thread (the one on the Official Review remains) .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 20:42   #3

Having done 59,500kms on the ODO and past 4 years of owning my Zeta CVT, I had been feeling an acceleration lag and shift delay on my transmission.

Went through the user manual and all it said was Transmission Level Check, Refill or Change if required at 30k/36Months & 60k/72Months. The Service Advisor kept telling me its LIFETIME and nothing needs to be done!!!

I knew for a fact that CVT is a very delicate system and proper care and maintenance is required to ensure transmission life. When I cross-referred with other Manufacturers they all have change intervals within the 100k cycle.

Nevertheless, my search bought me this thread and I am very GRATEFUL to Prodigy07 and TeamBHP to have shared this information. Although I need to highlight some information with regards to the same:

- As per the manual Total CVT oil capacity is 5.7Ltrs
- Recommended Oil is the SUZUKI CVT FLUID GREEN - 2
- Although when I had the system drained, the oil came to about 1.9Ltrs
- The same amount was refilled via the dip stick inlet (am not sure if this is right process, as other cars have a separate top-up inlet)
- Approx Cost INR 2500

The transmission is now back to its Optimum Performance, no shift delays and its as good as it used to be. ALL BALENO CVT OWNERS, Please have your transmission OIL flushed and replaced on or before 60k. Service advisors say CVT oil is for lifetime...but once your transmission fails post your warranty period...the replacement cost just for the assembly is approx INR 3,37,684. Now that's a LIFETIME!!

Thank you and happy Motoring!
SpaceJunk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Spot on.

CVT fluid needs to be replaced much more frequently than transmission fluid in torque converter ATs.

1. Honda recommends a CVT fluid change every 40k kms

CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for the Maruti Baleno CVT-brv_mtceschedule.jpg

2. As per your post, the Baleno CVT needs it every 60k kms

In contrast, Toyota 4 speed ATs do not require transmission fluid change for life under normal driving conditions.

This applies to the old Corolla, the 2008-11 Altis, the Fortuner AT. Not sure about the 2016 and later Crystas and Fortuners though

CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for the Maruti Baleno CVT-p_20200921_114341.jpg

CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for the Maruti Baleno CVT-p_20200921_115211.jpg

CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for the Maruti Baleno CVT-p_20200921_115231.jpg

CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for the Maruti Baleno CVT-p_20200921_115245.jpg

CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for the Maruti Baleno CVT-p_20200921_115301.jpg

Suzuki recommends transmission fluid change on their 4-speed torque converter ATs only every 11 years / 1,65,000kms.

Could someone add the maintenance schedule of the newer Toyotas here please?
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Having been initially impressed with this so called 'lifetime' fill with my Toyotas and others I am of the humble opinion that fresh oil for your tranny every 5 years or thereabouts (depending on annual mileage and service duty) doesn't hurt provided you get the correct transmission oil. I experimented with aftermarket Liqui Moly and am back with TKM's genuine GB oil. It's expensive but heck man it's a 1.5x more than a tankful of petrol in my car. There's no way I'd want to compromise my tranny or engine for lack of good lube.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 19:49   #6
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
50K service and CVT transmission oil replacement update

Here's an update on the 50K service of my Baleno CVT (Zeta). Also, I wanted to get the CVT Transmission oil checked and replaced during this service.

Though the service manual doesn't mention anything regarding the inspection and replacement of CVT oil, I wanted the service centre to go ahead and replace.

So, I requested them to place the order before hand and notify me when they're ready.

This post might be the first to be documented on Team-BHP regarding the CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for Baleno CVT.

During this service, MASS made a quick call to NEXA technicians on the oil replacement. After getting the required instruction and procedure, they began the replacement. So similar to engine oil replacement, the CVT oil was drained and in went fresh CVT Fluid Green 2.

Total quantity consumed was about 2.2 litres.

It looks like MASS procures a 4litre ECSTAR CVT fluid can only based on customer's request.

Apart from this, I got a pair of rubber mudflaps fixed on the RS rear bumper.

MASS followed strict guidelines by sanitizing the vehicle before and after service. Also, fresh plastic covers on seat, gear knob and steering were once again provided during delivery.
Thanks for most useful CVT gearbox oil change post shall keep in mind when my Baleno Delta CVT hits 50 K km is there any time frame also to change, anything else to keep in mind to save expensive cost once the car ages as currently due to covid not running much only around 12K km in last 2.5 yrs
Old 8th January 2022, 23:47   #7
BHPian

Bumping an old thread.

I believe this(video) is the proper way to change the CVT oil, however Maruti does not have any process/circular regarding the same as they claim oil is for a lifetime.

Link:

Will need the following parts:
1. 26572-58MR0 CVT oil filter
2. Seal around the oil pan
3. CVT fluid green 2

Planning to get all of this done at an FNG. My only worry is damaging the expensive transmission in the process. The whining noise from the CVT is driving me mad!
Did anyone here get this done? Or any experience with other manufacturers how they do it?
lxskllr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 04:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Bumping an old thread.

I believe this(video) is the proper way to change the CVT oil, however Maruti does not have any process/circular regarding the same as they claim oil is for a lifetime.

Link: https://Youtu.be/_MN45mopNFU

Will need the following parts:
1. 26572-58MR0 CVT oil filter
2. Seal around the oil pan
3. CVT fluid green 2

Planning to get all of this done at an FNG. My only worry is damaging the expensive transmission in the process. The whining noise from the CVT is driving me mad!
Did anyone here get this done? Or any experience with other manufacturers how they do it?

Hey, has there been any update on this. Did you get it done?
Old 30th March 2022, 10:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceJunk View Post
Hey, has there been any update on this. Did you get it done?
Hey, couldn't get this done.

1. MASS folks don't have a clue and don't recommend a oil change. Spoke to a couple of mechanics during my 40k service. They did not know how to carry out the service.

2. Spoke to a couple of nearby FNGs. They were not confident on carrying out the same.

The search continues, if I can get someone who has worked with Honda/Nissan/other brand CVTs and is now working at an FNG, I'll update here!
lxskllr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 13:51   #10
BHPian

Folks, good news! Got my CVT transmission oil and filter replaced at Maruti Suzuki Service(MSM) Okhla, Delhi.

This post is for those who wish to get their oil & filter replaced, although the manual does not have a service interval.

My Baleno CVT Delta has covered 40K+ Kms in 2 years, and I wanted to get the CVT oil replaced. The whining noise during acceleration and deceleration (without braking) had increased.

I emailed the ASM of Delhi to understand where I could get this done. During the regular services, the SMs and the QM always insisted that CVT oil needs no replacement, and I can drive worry free. Somewhere in the back of my mind I always wanted to get this done for the peace of my mind!

The ASM directed me to MSM Okhla and gave the contact of an SM stationed there. Please DM me if you need his details. After multiple discussions with him over call, I gave a go ahead to order the following parts on my behalf.

26572-58MR0 STRAINER ASSY/ FILTER
24762-82KA0 GASKET, T/M OIL PAN
24823-54LS0 PLUG, DRAIN (OPT)
24824-54LS0 GASKET, DRAIN PLUG (OPT)
99000-22B63-046, CVT FLUID GREEN-2. Only 1 can will suffice

STRAINER ASSY/ FILTER took around 3 weeks to arrive as they had to ask Maruti to assign the part from the Factory. During this time, I asked the appointed SM to get in touch with Maruti to understand how the oil change can be done.

Once all the parts arrived, I drove down to MSM Okhla where my SM was waiting for my car, and he had arranged for a competent mechanic and an empty spot on a hydraulic lift.

A short 5-minute test drive was done prior to the oil change to see if there are any issues with the transmission. Post that the car headed straight to the workshop on the hydraulic lift.

On the floor I was accompanied with the SM, and the mechanic in charge to carry out the job. The QA manager joined us as well to ensure that this is carried out according to the instructions given by Maruti.

We waited for the transmission to cool down, as I had driven for over an hour to reach the workshop. This time was utilized to remove the engine guard, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, giving me a download of how the replacement would be carried out and the all the parts needed for the job was placed on workbench.

Apologies, as I do not have pictures of the process, but will try and help with schematics.

Cool-down took a complete 45 mins, we helped ourselves with refreshments during this time. Post cool-down, with the car all the way up on the jack, an oil pan was placed underneath the transmission drain pan.

Name:  1.png
Views: 2971
Size:  15.4 KB

Drain plug (labelled 3) was unscrewed and roughly 2.2 lit of oil flowed out (refer first post of this thread for details), one can carry out this partial replacement of CVT oil as well if sourcing the parts is difficult.

Next, all the bolts around the pan (labelled 1) were removed. The team ensured that we unscrew the opposite screws slowly, like how we do for tires. Once you reach the 2 screws, you will observe oil spilling from the pan, do no panic this is normal. Another mechanic held the pan in place and other unscrewed the final bolts.

Slowly the pan was lowered into the drain oil pan and more oil drained from the CVT transmission.

Next, there will be three bolts holding the oil filter, these were unscrewed, and a little more oil flowed out.

Name:  2.png
Views: 3026
Size:  79.8 KB

New oil filter was screwed on to the right toque specifications. The Pan (labelled 1) was cleaned with a super cleaner (part: 99000M99280). Do note that the pan also has two magnets which collect iron dust, these were also cleaned with super cleaner and placed back on the pan at their original position. Cleaning the pan and the magnets is important as they would have accumulated iron dust from the transmission.

Once the pan was ready, the gasket (labelled 2) was replaced with the new part. All of this was torqued back to the transmission assembly. Post this, the bolt(labelled 3) was replaced with the new one.

The oil in the pan was measured and we made sure to fill in the same amount. Total of 3.4 lit of was measured and the same was poured back. The manual states 5.7 lit, but the SM and QM mentioned that this would be needed when they re-build the transmission. Not sure how accurate this is, or there is a step we missed.

Anyways, the negative terminal was re-connected, and the car was left to idle for a good 10 mins. Post this, with foot on the brake, the transmission stick was cycled to P->R->N->D->S multiple times. We also checked the hot level of the transmission fluid, to be double sure. Not needed, as we poured only the amount which we drained.

DTC codes checking was carried out to see if there are any errors – thankfully none. A short test drive was carried out in my presence to see if there are any issues in running. Post this, the transmission was re-checked for oil leaks and engine cover installed back.

The total damage to the wallet including the spare parts and labor was around 10K. I was satisfied with the way the replacement was carried out. The SM & QA were with me throughout the process and ensured that undivided attention was given to my car.

On the way back home, I noticed better pickup from stand still. Whining reduced to large extent both when accelerating and decelerating. Worth the time, money, and patience? For BHPians like us – hell yes! I intend to keep 40K as the interval to change the CVT oil.
lxskllr is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 10:00   #11
BHPian

Even I wanted to change it at the 4 year/35000km mark last year but folks at motor craft nexa sector 57 noida are so clueless about regular stuff itself that this kind of job worried me more than anything else. I was sure they'd mess it up with wrong parts, wrong grade of oil or not doing the job at all, they are that bad.
From this time though I'm switching to platinum motors Mathura road since a known is heading that, will surely get it done. Thanks for the heads up!!
Cheers
dhruvritzed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 11:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Folks, good news! Got my CVT transmission oil and filter replaced at Maruti Suzuki Service(MSM) Okhla, Delhi.

This post is for those who wish to get their oil & filter replaced, although the manual does not have a service interval.

My Baleno CVT Delta has covered 40K+ Kms in 2 years, and I wanted to get the CVT oil replaced. The whining noise during acceleration and deceleration (without braking) had increased.
Thanks for this post lxskllr. I happen to own a Baleno Delta CVT too and my car has run close to 30k Kms in 3.5 years. As of now, I am not facing any noise issue from the transmission. There is brake noise but that is an issue with the brake assembly and not the transmission in my case. I was advised by Nexa Service to not change the gear oil at least till 1 lakh Kms as the CVT has been designed to run longer than that with the factory filled transmission fluid. I am not sure how far this applies to Indian conditions. At the same time, I am hesitant to replace the transmission fluid as the local Nexa or MS Workshop is clueless about the process. I will bookmark your post for the future.
targaryen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 12:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

It is very shameful to see that Maruti has left customers and the Authorized service centers blinded on how to change automatic gear oil. The more surprising fact is that the service centers of metro cities are not aware of such a simple thing. I own a Honda City TQ AT (with Torque Convertor Transmission) and the recommended change interval is 60,000 Kms. I get the automatic gear oil changed regularly at Honda service center in my city and these guys do stock all the parts including oil and I don't need to give them a lesson on what oil to use. I really appreciate Honda for training and equipping their service centers so well.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 19:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was under impression that the CVT transmission is sealed for life and doesn't need oil replacement unless accident /serious oil leak issue. How did you diagnose that issue was with CVT oil and needed replacement? Did the service center advise you?

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 30th April 2022 at 19:06.
Old 30th April 2022, 20:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was under impression that the CVT transmission is sealed for life and doesn't need oil replacement unless accident /serious oil leak issue. How did you diagnose that issue was with CVT oil and needed replacement? Did the service center advise you?
CVTs are expensive to replace and sensitive to oil changes. I intend to keep my car for long and considering harsh Indian conditions, it's better to change the oil timely. Refer to the schedule from other manufacturers.

I drove another relatively new Baleno CVT (<5k KMs), and found that it had a relatively better pickup and less noise when accelerating/decelerating.

Service centres always insisted that it is sealed for life and I don't have to replace it.

Hope this helps!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks