Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 13:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
... when i start my car in the morning, its starts up immediately and steadies between 1000-1500RPM. But after that, the accelerator doesn't work and i can't raise the rpm. Its as if the car hasn't started at all? even the brake doesn't respond. it's like the brake thinks that the engine is still off. ...
Sensor connection / grounding problem, most likely with the water or oil temperature. The ECU will keep the idling speed high (upto 1100 RPM depending on temperature sensed; 1000-1500 is too wide a range!) till the temperatures stabilize before bringing it down to the usual 700-750 RPM. In this case it may be sensing that the temperature is less than 0, and hence the RPM is staying high hoping the temperature will rise.

Nothing really wrong with the poor ECU - when you reset it by cycling power, the problem would have vanished because of the vibrations the previous time you started. Quite likely the cable tree going to the ECU connector just needs a good shake.

Brake system is independent of all this. Unless you have ABS, there is no electronics associated with it. Though your description seems to say that the brake pedal just goes to the floor without the brake acting actually, it does not make sense. Did you check the brakes with the engine off?
Old 13th October 2008, 15:43   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

the brake pedal does not go down to the floor. there is no brake assist which is normally there when car is running normally.
i checked again. you are right, the RPMs are between 1000-1100range not upto 1500 as i had mentioned.
this problem occurs only first thing in the morning.
Old 13th October 2008, 15:56   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hi,
A family member's safari is giving couple of weird problems which started appearing at the same time. One serious and one annoyance. Tata guys have attached there ECU analyzer and found nothing faulty
Problem 1:
If the car is parked for 3-4 days without use, it refuses to start, with the self not turning over properly as if battery is down. Push the car some engage gear, let is "hiccup". After that crank it the self turns as if the battery is new.
Problem 2:
Sometimes the fuel gauge is really erratic. If will jump from half to full and full to half and then stabilize to correct level after some time.

Since both there problems appeared at the same time there appears to be some electric problem which the TASS guys cannot diagnose.

The warranty gets over in a couple of months because there is no extended warranty .
ha ha... ha.

We are travelling in the same boat dear. Even my safari has the similar problem. Even my thread discusses the same trouble you are facing, i have shot a mail to TATA's for wrong diagnosis.
Old 13th October 2008, 16:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
ha ha... ha.

We are travelling in the same boat dear. Even my safari has the similar problem. Even my thread discusses the same trouble you are facing, i have shot a mail to TATA's for wrong diagnosis.
This problem got solved. Earthing issue. Now that safari is doing perfectly fine.
Old 13th October 2008, 16:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

Pavan, Tsk's problem is now almost 1.5 years old and has even been sorted out long since. It was an earthing related issue.

By the way I experienced something equally weird sometimes back with my Indica. One day all of a sudden I realized that no matter how much I accelerate or reduce speed both the speedo and tacho have got rooted at a fixed calibration mark. They just refused to budge. I think the speed was around 40 and the tacho was at 1600 mark or so.

However as soon as either the speed or the rev dropped below the mark where the needles were stuck the needles freed up and moved down. After that everything started functioning properly. In the next few days this problem started showing up more frequently, till I lost my cool with this waiting business (as with many Tata problem I was expecting it to be a moment's madness). I called up the TASS and talked with my SA there to get the car there for a checkup the coming weekend. Surprisingly, the problem just vanished after that. The weekend came and went, and then a few more went past. The problem just never appeared again.

Till date I have no clue what all that stuck needle was about.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks