Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2020, 14:00   #46

Re: What features of the MID do you find useless? And useful?

Here is my pick

Must Haves
  1. Fuel Efficiency
  2. Distance to Empty
  3. Important warning like TPMS, Engine Oil, Brake Fluid level, Battery malfunction etc..

Nice to Have
  1. Navigation directions
  2. Incoming call info
  3. Compass

I would like to see them changing automatically at some stipulated time interval instead of manually toggling them.
Old 7th August 2020, 14:02   #47
BHPian

If you ask me what kind of console will i like having, I will say just refer the console of new Honda City top variant. It is extremely neat and yet part digital.There is an option to keep the console pretty neat or to have multiple information visible. I hate it when the tachometer is sidelined or is in the form of bar type display. They look terrible. New tata cars (Nexon/Tiago) have that. Even the Altroz's console somewhat looks weird. Creta's digital console too has the tacho console getting step motherly treatment. Verna's all digital console is an eyesore.

1. New Creta
What features of the MID do you find useless? And useful?-2020hyundaicretainterior41280x720.jpg

2. New Verna
What features of the MID do you find useless? And useful?-evoindia_202006_76a8e788b3f645939754c1962720172a_2020_hyundai_verna_review__3_.jpg

3. New Tiago/Tigor/Nexon
What features of the MID do you find useless? And useful?-maxresdefault.jpg

4. Altroz
What features of the MID do you find useless? And useful?-tataaltrozinstrumentclus.jpg

5. New City
What features of the MID do you find useless? And useful?-20200629043140_hondacity2020instrumentcluster.jpg

Last edited by Turbokick : 7th August 2020 at 14:06.
Turbokick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:23   #48
BHPian

[quote=RedTerrano;4858886]I remember a PC game called Snooker, which had a 'boss button'.
Hit escape and the game screen is minimized.
For MIDs, need a similar 'wife button'.
Activate it and MID prominently shows (only) the digital speedometer with configurable max speed value. (Drive at 80, MID still shows pre-configured 65)

I want this!
Iksvaku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

I personally like the below info always available on my MID
  • Trip meter
  • Average FE
  • Range
  • Digital speedo
  • Song currently playing
In this regard I really like the Ecosport MID which lets you configure your screen with the info you want to see. Below is my default view which gives me most of the info I want to see. The digital speedo and song info is also available but on a separate screen which needs a few presses. Maybe a slightly larger MID screen with all this in one view would be ideal.
What features of the MID do you find useless? And useful?-img_20191026_213229.jpg
fiat_tarun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:45   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

The add on's can be-
Agree with this. I'd add a battery health indicator. Have wished my car had this, particularly given the forced parking thanks to Covid-19.

I have also appreciated a temperature (inside/outside display) ... but then I'm in favor of more data than less.
Warlock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 16:30   #51
BHPian

Useful:
DTE
Average Fuel consumption
TPMS
Gear Selected
Outside temperature
Error code mentioning the specific issue.
Multiple Trip meter
Old 7th August 2020, 20:04   #52
BHPian

I would like the MID to show remaining fuel in litres. Engine temperature in centigrade celsius.
Old 7th August 2020, 20:31   #53
BHPian

All features and parameters can be on the HID through multiple screens to be scrolled through with some button - even if that means 10 screens. You can even build in detail around when was the last time cabin air filter was changed. But what I would prefer on the default screen would be Speed, Fuel, Coolant temp, Trip meter. TPMS is anyways a separate light. These are the ones relevant to safe driving. All other information is statistics.

My Prius has an option to input fuel price while topping up. This to give me an approximation of $ savings at end of each ride. Completely ignored.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 22:13   #54
BHPian

I will take reference of my Baleno petrol here.

Here are the different MID modes the Baleno has :

What features of the MID do you find useless? And useful?-bal.jpg

MID legend for the image :

(a) Instantaneous fuel consumption / Average fuel consumption / Driving range
(b) Instantaneous fuel consumption / Average fuel consumption / 5-minute average fuel consumption
/ Average fuel consumption per one driving
(c) Average speed / 5-minute average speed / Driving time
(d) Total idling stop time / Total idling fuel saved (if equipped)
(e) Clock and date
(f) Torque and power
(g) Energy flow (Not equipped)
(h) Blank - No Indication

Mode 'A' is the only one useful as it covers the most utility data points i.e. Avg fuel consumption and Driving range. Instantaneous fuel consumption is a waste again. Other modes are plain useless

Other useful alert messages the MID flashes :
1. Hand brake engaged while parking
2. Clean parking sensors
3. Low fuel warning

Would love :
1. TPRM messages
2. Incoming call message
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 22:15   #55
Senior - BHPian

My MID feature wish-list:

1. TPMS
2. Average fuel efficiency
3. Seat belt warning for all seats
4. Digital speedometer
5. Outside temperature
Old 7th August 2020, 22:25   #56
BHPian

First of all the Speedometer, Tachometer, Fuel gauge and Engine Hot/Cold gauge should be Analog and neatly displayed with clockwise readings. Preferably, Speedometer and Tachometer should be large and on right and left side of the console respectively as is currently available in most vehicles.
The Digital screen should be at the centre and atleast 6-7” wide for better viewing.

In my view, the steering mounted button for MID should be pressed to display:-
- Current info of Total km, Fuel mileage on one screen and which can toggle between trip info.
- TPMS
- Navigation (coloured map style)
- Music/ Media info

- Distance to empty/Litres to empty as a permanent display at one corner of screen
(preferably bottom right.
- Small compass at bottom left or the North can be displayed in Nav screen.
- Gear should be dispalyed left of screen in larger font then the rest.

Rest of the icons like seat belt warning, parking break, battery etc can be at the bottom of the MID.

Btw , the MID in the new Creta is also good. I just wanted an analog speedometer though. Ref pic:-
What features of the MID do you find useless? And useful?-5123268c7dc84ac18893083e0b2d87c4.jpeg

Last edited by Teqhead : 7th August 2020 at 22:29. Reason: Adding reference picture
Old 7th August 2020, 23:45   #57
Senior - BHPian

Excellent suggestions from the users. I'd like to add mine:
1. Driving habit indicator with an average score, score for braking/accelerating etc. This can be better than having inaccurate instantaneous fuel consumption indicator
2. Snapshot of Android auto screen with a popping notification for the next turn and current track at the bottom. That way, I can turn off the main screen at night
Example: (This is a concept )
What features of the MID do you find useless? And useful?-573dce73dd0895c0758b490f.jpg
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 02:18   #58
BHPian

Though I'm in my early 20's, some of my ideas are ancient in carspeak

For me, I like a clean and uncluttered instrument cluster with a functional MID. The following would be my list of must haves / unnecessary features:

Must haves:

Analog Speedo and RPM meter: It just completes the driving experience for me, coz I enjoy seeing the revs rise when I am pushing a car for some fun.

Distance to Empty: Since fuel consumption depends on such a wide variety of factors, its useful to have an estimate of the distance to empty so I can plan my fill-ups accordingly.

Average Km/L: As long as this is working correctly, it is a useful feature to have. When I am trying to maximize my pocket money, I often transform into an extremely sedate driver, so this is the reward for my efforts

TPMS: Not continuous monitoring, but a low pressure warning should suffice. Sometimes a busy schedule may mean not having the time to specifically visit a gas station to top up the air, so this warning can save the day.

Cruise Control Set Speed: This is useful so that one does not have to guesstimate the speed that has been set and can rather set the exact desired speed. Some cars just have a cruise control light, but no speed display.

Unnecessary Features:

Instantaneous FE: I have never understood the point of this, since it sometimes fluctuates from 8 to 35 in my car and serves no purpose other than causing anxiety.

Power/Torque Pie Chart: I judge fun by looking at the RPM meter and engine sounds, that chart is completely meaningless and I still do not understand whats going on in there

Shift suggestions: Purely based on the current RPM of the car, so often incorrect in certain driving situations. Better to delete it altogether and use that space to code in some other useful feature instead

Last edited by Yash98 : 8th August 2020 at 02:19.
Old 8th August 2020, 03:21   #59
osp

In addition to the standard stuff available on most MIDs, my vote would go to these:

Useful:
1. Indicators on whether any of the lights have gone bust
2. Door/ hood/ tailgate open indicator
3. TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash98 View Post
Instantaneous FE: I have never understood the point of this, since it sometimes fluctuates from 8 to 35 in my car and serves no purpose other than causing anxiety.
I completely agree with this! I have even thought of putting a piece of insulation tape to hide it. Extremely distracting, and does not serve any actual purpose, as far as I could fathom.
Old 8th August 2020, 04:26   #60
BHPian

I would love to have the following:

• Digital Speedometer.
• Average FE.
• Range with Remaining Fuel quantity in Litres.
• TPMS.
• MID showing phone stats like the VW Maxidot Cluster.
• Door Ajar (Specific Door).
• Trip/Odo Meters.
• Fuel Guage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks