Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2020, 11:38   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fuel injector rusted in 2 year old Skoda Rapid within warranty! Astronomical quote from Autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If you compares Injector failures per 1000 cars between Skoda and Toyota, I'm sure the numbers will tell you a different story.
If you compare the power outputs per litre between a VAG engine and the Toyota engine it will tell a different story too. Sorry for the OT post.
Akshay1234 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel injector rusted in 2 year old Skoda Rapid within warranty! Astronomical quote from Autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Some of you might not appreciate this, but I do believe that Skoda has no obligation to cover this under warranty. It is very obvious that this corrosion is caused by the diesel. Whether there was water in the diesel that was put in the tank. Whether some idiot added a bit of water into the tank (not unheard of when washing a car). Or just poor fuel. It happens, not only in India.
Do other cars not use the same fuel which Skoda's use? A Rapid or Vento is no supercar, why does a Swift or a Ciaz or any other diesel car for that matter not have these horror injector stories that Skoda's and VW's have?

12 years, 1 lakh 82 thousand kilometers, never touched an injector. Filled fuel from a village in Gujarat to a filling station which had to hand pump diesel in Kashmir, this is India and cars in India should be built for India.

There are numerous other examples of these from every other manufacturer in India.

Quote:
Skoda doesn’t control the diesel, nor the storage of the fuel, the treatment of the fuel etc. It is simply not their responsibility. Admittedly, for the average owner, it is also impossible to know whether you are getting bad fuel. It is possible to accidentally get some water into the tank, during for instance washing.
Exactly for this reason there is a water separator used in diesel cars, although it can't filter everything but there is a provision and a light on the dashboard for it too.

Quote:
Why should filling up a car with bad fuel be Skoda’s problem or responsible. I get it, as an owner we can’t know either. But that is just tough. If you want to make any claims you would have to go back to the pump where you got the bad fuel in the first place. As you can imagine for all sorts of reasons, it is unlikely that you will be able to proof it caused all these problem. But they most likely did, not Skoda.
Has Skoda proved it was bad fuel? Just saying the fuel is adulterated proves nothing and anyway rust develops over time, not in a day or two.

Quote:
I have seen quite a few post of members that claim “this is/should be warranty” without offering any insights or good reasoning why it should be. Just because the car is relative new/low mileage has no bearing on it whatsoever. Poor fuel will do this to a brand new car as well as 50 year old car. Again, just because it is not your fault, it doesn’t automatically means it is Skoda’s either.
What's the point of a warranty? Tomorrow the AC compressor conks off, Skoda will say you switched it on and off a lot of times and hence the electromagnetic clutch has fried, starter conks off, they will say you used it a lot, this can go on.
humyum is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:18   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
What's the point of a warranty? .
Check what it says on the warranty clause. Check what is covered and what is not.

What you and others want it to be, a sort of blanket 100% safety net for everything going wrong with a car, it simply is not I’m afraid. Very frustrating, but that’s how it is.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:08   #49

Hello bhpians.

I got the "90% goodwill" estimate from Autobahn. According to them the goodwill is 90% on parts and 0% on labour.

I have to shell out INR 39,000 (27,000 for parts + 9,000 for labour + 3,000 for fuel).

So much for goodwill. I'm not feeling good at all!
universal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check what it says on the warranty clause. Check what is covered and what is not.

What you and others want it to be, a sort of blanket 100% safety net for everything going wrong with a car, it simply is not I’m afraid. Very frustrating, but that’s how it is.

Jeroen
Wear and tear parts are not covered under warranty. Everything in a car is a wear and tear part, right from the steering wheel to a brake pedal to a boot lock, where do you draw a line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by universal View Post
Hello bhpians.

I got the "90% goodwill" estimate from Autobahn. According to them the goodwill is 90% on parts and 0% on labour.

I have to shell out INR 39,000 (27,000 for parts + 9,000 for labour + 3,000 for fuel).

So much for goodwill. I'm not feeling good at all!
27 thousand for parts is 10%, then 100% = 2 lakh 70 thousand? Diamond tipped injectors kya? What is this?

Can you give us a list of things they are replacing or is it only 4 injectors?
humyum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 18:02   #51

They said entire fuel line has to be replaced and it costs 2.7 lacs. Will upload quotation soon.

From 60-70% warranty claims to 90% goodwill. Does Skoda/Autobahn do anything 100%?
universal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 18:26   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Wear and tear parts are not covered under warranty. Everything in a car is a wear and tear part, right from the steering wheel to a brake pedal to a boot lock, where do you draw a line?
Well, it helps to actual read the warranty clause. Because it is much more what you claim here. Most warranties, very broadly speaking, tend to cover the owner against manufacturing defects. It can be phrased a little different, but that is what it boils down to. It means that the manufacturers will replace the effected parts and labour to replace whatever suffered from a manufacturing defect.

I could not find the actual Skoda India Warranties, but Skoda UK puts theirs up on the web; For illustations purpose:

https://az749841.vo.msecnd.net/sites...669bd4a47d.pdf

This is what it says about what is covers and the exclusions:

Quote:
Your ŠKODA warranty only covers manufacturing defects. Your warranty does not cover damage or defects caused by factors outside the Manufacturer’s control or which are the result of normal wear and tear. Examples of this include:
• Damage or defects as a result of repairs or incorrect installation of parts or accessories by an unauthorised workshop.
• Damage or defects as a result of the installation of parts, components, software or accessories not authorised by ŠKODA UK.
• Damage or defects which may be attributable to accident damage.
• Damage to components, equipment or software which were not part of the
vehicle at the point of original manufacture.
Damage or defects as a result of the use of poor quality or incorrect fuels
or additives.

• Damage or defects as a result of failure to comply with the operation
instruction in the Owner's Instruction Manual, Service Schedule Book or any literature supplied by ŠKODA UK or a ŠKODA Centre. It is your responsibility to ensure that servicing is maintained in line with the Manufacturer’s instructions and sufficient records are kept to confirm this.
• Damage or defects caused by modifications, special fittings, conversions or additional bodywork.
• Damage or defects caused by use of the vehicle in countries for which it has not been designed.
• Noise and vibration related to the normal operation of the vehicle.
• Damage or defects caused by improper handling or misuse (racing, for
example).
• Parts that have reached the end of their expected service life.
• Damage caused by industrial pollution, climate, external heat, chemicals or mechanical force. Your Owner’s Instruction Manual tells you how to
minimise such damage.
• Parts which have reached the end of their expected shelf life
• Normal maintenance and wear and tear. Items can only be considered if
the cause of the complaint cannot be associated to abnormal external influence or use, and is a manufacturing defect. Components normally subject to wear and tear include but are not limited to:
o Brake linings and disc pads
o Brake discs and drums
o Clutch release bearings
o Clutch pressure plates and centre plates (DSG clutches are covered
for the full warranty offered with the vehicle) o Tyres
o Wiper blades (wiper rubbers have no warranty owing to their conditions of use)
o Seat and backrest covers
o Floor coverings
o Spark plugs
o Batteries for key fobs and alarms
o Light bulbs (Xenon/gas discharge bulbs and LED’s are covered for the
full warranty offered with the vehicle) o Shock absorbers
• Mechanical adjustments including:
o Adjustments to doors, flaps, boot lids, bonnets, sunroof etc... o Brake adjustment
o Clutch adjustment
o Headlight adjustment
o Steering geometry adjustment o Wheel balancing
This list is not definitive and similar wear and tear and adjustable items are also excluded from the warranty.
So even in the UK Skoda excludes:

Quote:
Damage or defects as a result of the use of poor quality or incorrect fuels or additives.
When you buy a car, you agree to the warranty clauses. You might think or belief that warranty is something different. But its useful to check the actual contractual clauses to what you have signed up to I find in these circumstances. Anybody has the Skoda India warranty clauses at the ready,, I suspect they are almost identical to the above and will certainly have similar exclusion on the use of poor fuel.

Last edited by Jeroen : 17th September 2020 at 18:28.
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 18:27   #53
RSR
Senior - BHPian

It's sad that universal had to go through this on a relatively new car.

I firmly believe it's very good for the entire world that VW shamelessly cheated by using defeat devices on their dirty diesels. It's one of the main reasons why dirty diesels in general are being subjected to such scrutiny across the world and also why customers are surely moving towards much cleaner petrols and super-clean EVs. Thank you for being such shameless cheats, Volkswagen AG! As despicable as your dirty deed was, it's actually leading to a better world (in terms of pollution).

I think Volkswagen, Škoda, Audi and Porsche exiting the diesel space in India is good for them as well, even if they did it for emissions or environmental or image makeover reasons. Clearly, their diesels were not only equipped with cheat devices, but also injection units that are not able to function well with the regular fuel available in India, when hordes & hordes of diesels from other manufacturers have very little or no problems. With an all petrol line-up from April of this year, they will receive fewer complaints from customers about diesel injection systems gone bad.

Last edited by RSR : 17th September 2020 at 18:39.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 18:37   #54

Quotation before goodwill:
Fuel injector rusted in 2 year old Skoda Rapid within warranty! Astronomical quote from Autobahn-before-support-estimate-wa0007.jpg

Quotation after 90% goodwill:

ESTIMATE AFTER SUPPORT.pdf

Last edited by universal : 17th September 2020 at 18:44. Reason: Removed point already mentioned in prev post
universal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 18:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, it helps to actual read the warranty clause. Because it is much more what you claim here. Most warranties, very broadly speaking, tend to cover the owner against manufacturing defects. It can be phrased a little different, but that is what it boils down to. It means that the manufacturers will replace the effected parts and labour to replace whatever suffered from a manufacturing defect.

I could not find the actual Skoda India Warranties, but Skoda UK puts theirs up on the web; For illustations purpose:

https://az749841.vo.msecnd.net/sites...669bd4a47d.pdf.

Here is what Maruti says

This is limited list of items not covered:-
a) Normal maintenance service required, including without limitation, oil and fluid changes headlight aiming,
fastener retightening, wheel balancing, wheel alignment and tyre rotation, cleaning of injectors, ignition timing,
clutch and valve clearance.
b) The replacement of normal wear parts, including without limitation, bulbs, headlamp assy including projector
headlamp / tail lamp / fog lamp assembly, battery, tyres, tubes, spark plugs, brake discs, brake shoes, brake
pads. Internal parts of brake master cylinder & wheel cylinder, belts, hoses, filters (air / fuel/ oil / AC) with or
without sensors, wiper arms/ wiper blades and brushes.
c) Any seals and Gasket replaced or refitted as part of normal-schedules.
d) Clutch disc, clutch pressure plate, clutch release bearing, radiator, catalytic converter, muffler, AC gas leakages
and differential backlash under any circumstances.
e) Replacement of timing belts as per recommended interval.
f) Trims, wheel rim, wheel alloys, rubber & plastic parts, glass machine, all body parts including door regulators,
glass run, seat fabrics, roof lining, gear knob, steering wheel logo, all emblems, cup holder, door weather strips
etc.
g) Smartphone Linkage Display Audio (SLDA) unit
h) Any repair or replacement required as a result of accident or collision, misuse, abuse, theft, flooding or fire.
i) Paintwork, bodywork and mouldings, water entry into the vehicle, corrosion of body parts, glass, Mirrors (inner
& outer), lock cylinder & key & interior trims.
j) Humming noise in any component.
Note: Maruti Suzuki reserves the right, at its discretion to change,

And here is what they cover

High Pressure Pump, AC Compressor, ECM, Turbo charger, Engine, Starter Assembly, steering assembly and Struts as a mota moti on their website.

This is what it says about what is covers and the exclusions:

Quote:
So even in the UK Skoda excludes:

When you buy a car, you agree to the warranty clauses. You might think or belief that warranty is something different. But its useful to check the actual contractual clauses to what you have signed up to I find in these circumstances. Anybody has the Skoda India warranty clauses at the ready,, I suspect they are almost identical to the above and will certainly have similar exclusion on the use of poor fuel.
I think they would be identical in India too but the poor fuel and additive statement is put into the clause so that they can blame everything on that. What is poor fuel is a bone of contention as what is poor for Tom, must be poor fuel for Jerry also, but that is clearly not the case with VW's and Skoda's in India then?

Anyway, I rest my case and I still believe that this deserves a 100% warranty claim, no questions asked.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 19:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if Skoda is actually keen on recovering from their past! They need to not just invest on their product portfolio but also in the customers.

1. The company is not doing enough on both fronts; while we believe that they have offered a good 1 litre turbo petrol engine at the entry level; was there a choice? There is nothing in their line-up for mass market except the 1 litre turbo petrol, diesel was already out; no new white body for Polo, Vento or Rapid. Absolutely nothing and we are still praising them. I am sure this is generosity of the community out here

2. What have they done post dieselgate in India; they were penalised heavily across geographies; did they ever accept that DQ 200 had problems in India, they never did, so is the case with their injectors and fuel lines. There has to be a limit. I remember a friend of mine faced issue with injectors in his first generation Figo after warranty, Ford admitted the claim after looking at the service record and sub 50k milage on the car and replaced it in goodwill.

If they want to makeover their image, let them come out of their cocoon, pull up socks, understand reality outside of their offices and most important by collecting direct feedback from consumers and not through their dealers. If they can’t do it themselves, they can always institute an independent and reliable third party to do it for them.
I don’t like Maruti products and might never visit their outlet with interest to buy one, but for sure the company is committed to whatever they supply in the market for past almost 4 decades. I doubt the Indian Armed Forces would have ever used a Gypsy produced by Skoda!

What is being done here by Skoda is merely lip service!

Last edited by i74js : 17th September 2020 at 19:20.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 19:40   #57

Guys, I want to know if this is how goodwill works. Am I right in asking for 100%?

I don’t see a “%” sign in this tweet. Surely he meant 100%?

Name:  zac.png
Views: 994
Size:  14.7 KB

This is incredibly frustrating. For all they’ve done to me, in my initial write-up I took efforts to be nice and neutral towards Autobahn. I wanted to give them the benefit of doubt. It took effort.

But now I think they’re just looking to squeeze the last drop out of me.
universal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 19:42   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quotation before goodwill:

Thanks for sharing. So it looks like they replaced just about all items in the fuel system, including the fuel pump! Except so it seems the rusty pressure regulator?!

For them to replace just about everything and mostly under goodwill, it must have been really bad. So my suspicion is something very serious wrong with your fuel. I hope they flushed the tank too. (Because if it is microbe related, it will be back within weeks without proper flushing!)

Just out of curiosity, what are child parts?

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 17th September 2020 at 19:44.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 20:11   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
50k for the fuel lines (which could have been cleaned) + 36k as your 10% share & labor I don't see any 'goodwill' here. 80k should be over the OE cost of all the parts listed here and the labor cost actually paid. Fact is, they are providing you the parts and service at no profit.

Quote:
Guys, I want to know if this is how goodwill works. Am I right in asking for 100%?

I don’t see a “%” sign in this tweet. Surely he meant 100%?
That's the party trick.

Quote:
For all they’ve done to me, in my initial write-up I took efforts to be nice and neutral towards Autobahn. I wanted to give them the benefit of doubt. It took effort.

But now I think they’re just looking to squeeze the last drop out of me.
That's one reason I posted below comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I suggest not to inform the same to dealership and let's see what the story they come with (100% good will or still the old story of 70~90%)
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what are child parts?
Going by the HSN it should be some fasteners

PS: Just checked the part price at Boodmo and everything is matching to the last digit except the pump (3L+ in boodmo) How do they keep track of this cost?

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 17th September 2020 at 20:12.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 21:59   #60

Autobahn says I'll get measely 2 year warranty on the parts they change. To me that says they're not confident it'll last the 3rd year, or that it won't happen again.

This isn't about money. I don't give a damn about the car. It's about right and wrong. Their cars are amazing but not fit for our country.

If their goodwill is indeed 90%, and I have to pay 40,000 for this fiasco, then this is my last Skoda.
universal is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks