Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2020, 22:14   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fuel injector rusted in 2 year old Skoda Rapid within warranty! Astronomical quote from Autobahn

2.7L estimate for fuel contamination on a car that would start around 12L to purchase. There is something wrong here, is there even a need to replace all these things?
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 22:30   #62

Re: Fuel injector rusted in 2 year old Skoda Rapid within warranty! Astronomical quote from Autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by universal View Post

I got the "90% goodwill" estimate from Autobahn. According to them the goodwill is 90% on parts and 0% on labour.

So much for goodwill. I'm not feeling good at all!
Do Indian car insurance plan cover fuel contamination damages?
You can quote Skoda if they are blaming this on bad fuel.
pranavtengshe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 22:43   #63
Senior - BHPian

I would push for 100% warranty FOC if I were you, but if that's not how you see it then pay the 10%, fix the damn thing and sell it off soon.

Today it's this, tomorrow its something else, looking at the parts price, looks like you need to have a budget of 25-30 lakhs to own a 12-13 lakh Skoda.

12-13 lakhs to buy one and 10-12 lakhs in its life time of around 10-12 years to keep it running.
humyum is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

What did the Toyota say to the Skoda on the side of the road?
Rust-in-peace.
i74js is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 22:58   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I dont know which car should buyers choose. One from Tata which will have a niggle on first drive but with supportive dealership or from Skoda, who apparently make fantastic cars but have a sword over your neck during each crank!

I get nightmares thinking about such bills as I have a Polo which is technically an identical car.
This my friend is the reason why people move towards Japanese and Koreans. And then a lot of people ask why Maruti , Honda and Hyundai sells higher.
ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 00:24   #66
BHPian

Tweet or Tag in Facebook group; Zac Hollis. He’s very active and responsive
rageshgr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 06:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

The parts bin will be from common suppliers, especially injectors. Every manufacturer places global orders to gain economy. They're all on the same page here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
This my friend is the reason why people move towards Japanese and Koreans. And then a lot of people ask why Maruti , Honda and Hyundai sells higher.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 08:01   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Some of you might not appreciate this, but I do believe that Skoda has no obligation to cover this under warranty.

Jeroen
One of the most sane and logical post on this thread. Thank you.

I see threads like these where a majority of the post are seemingly one liner "advice" with no logic or support offered
- this should be under warranty. Go tag xyz persons on social media, make noise
- this is wrong. Go file a complaint in consumer court
- the workshop is trying to cheat you. Ask them for documentation, and don't pay a cent

And so on...

Yes, it's a Skoda. So history matters, the probability of the manufacturer or the dealership being at fault is significant (to begin with). But need to look objectively too. Given there is rust (seen visibly) and the grey area who's at fault, I'd say the 90% goodwill is an acceptable output.

OP,
You still have one heck of a vehicle. Have fun with the rest of your ownership period.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 16:39   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

You still have one heck of a vehicle. Have fun with the rest of your ownership period.
Well said!

Continuing to hold on to my Rapid TDI 2012 inspite of injector failures three time and 6 injector change later.

Even after getting it's replacement, I still just couldn't let go of her. Everytime i take a spin in that car, i feel proud of my decision to not part with her!

Yes, my faith in the car is at an all time low because of the recurring injector failures but she is still a beast and i dont mind doing short runs in that car.
torque18 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 18:09   #70

After a few back and forths, I'll be reaching some conclusion with Skoda soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
What is poor fuel is a bone of contention as what is poor for Tom, must be poor fuel for Jerry also, but that is clearly not the case with VW's and Skoda's in India then?
Quite true. Here's a list of diesel vehicles I've owned in the last decade:
  • 1st, 2nd & 3rd gen Scorpios
  • Xuv500
  • Indica
  • Swift
  • Baleno

Each vehicle crossed 1,00,000 km and never has an injector failed on me. I've already heard of multiple such failures in the SAME Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are child parts
Will let you know as I find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
That's the party trick.
Remind me to not invite you to any of my parties Mr.Boss.

Quote:
PS: Just checked the part price at Boodmo and everything is matching to the last digit except the pump (3L+ in boodmo) How do they keep track of this cost?
Thank you sir and good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
2.7L estimate for fuel contamination on a car that would start around 12L to purchase. There is something wrong here, is there even a need to replace all these things?
That crossed my mind, along with the fact that the initial 1.5 lacs quote shot to 3 lacs. This magic happens quite often in Autobahn, head to the nearest Skoda dealer for the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I would push for 100% warranty FOC if I were you, but if that's not how you see it then pay the 10%, fix the damn thing and sell it off soon.
The moment warranty expires in 2 years, Skoda is out of my life forever. Uhh, I don't know what to do with the Yeti. Such wonderful cars it's so sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
What did the Toyota say to the Skoda on the side of the road?
Rust-in-peace.
Why did the Skoda customer visit the sexologist?

His "injector" stopped working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Ask me how much confidence I'll have in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Continuing to hold on to my Rapid TDI 2012 inspite of injector failures three time and 6 injector change later.
Oh man that's crazy. What is your yearly budget for injectors I'm dying to know.
universal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 19:19   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Repeating my question to OP as well as others, do we need to replace all those things?

Even if the injector is at fault due to contamination is there a need to replace a whole bunch of other parts? Can't we just clean them and continue using them?
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 20:07   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Repeating my question to OP as well as others, do we need to replace all those things?
They're changing the whole fuel line in case water has been in other parts too. They will rust in the future.
Old 20th September 2020, 20:08   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring
The parts bin will be from common suppliers, especially injectors. Every manufacturer places global orders to gain economy. They're all on the same page here
I agree but the failure rate is comparatively very low.

@universal: I would recommend trying your best to get this covered 100% under warranty but if Skoda does not agree then I would say take the 90% deal , enjoy the car while it lasts until the next big failure. Or you can probably go with your plan of selling it after the warranty.

The product is good but the ASS equally worse.

Last edited by ankitsharma : 20th September 2020 at 20:15. Reason: Adding relevant info for the thread
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 20:33   #74
BHPian

Hi Universal,
Very sorry to hear about your problem as I faced a similar issue with my jetta in 2014 having driven about 80000kms while it was still under warranty. Like you I too have a Fuel Station near my residence, whose owner is known to me and for years we have been getting our fuel filled from his station as even our trucks were getting their fuel filled from there. When the injectors of the jetta failed it took us 3 weeks to diagnose the issue at the Noida Service station and when it was diagnosed they checked the fuel and found contamination and rejected my warranty repair altogether.
Un happy about the situation as I got a similar estimate as you, I went to the fuel station owner and asked about his fuel checking protocol and was informed that his staff has to conduct a daily check of every fuel pump at his station for Quantity Calibration and Quality control. Also there are random surprise tests conducted by the Company via their regional officials and all these tests were documented. I asked him to provide me a letter stating the same and a copy of all the tests conducted within the last 15 days of the incident and he was kind enough to oblige.
I took the letter and the results and provided the same to VW and informed them that my stand is clear that I will not pay a dime even if i have to go to the consumer court and let my car be with them till its decided. They were extremely reluctant and requested for time to look into the matter.
During this time as I was friendly with the mechanics in the centre we started troubleshooting the entire fuel system after emptying the fuel tank and filling in fresh fuel and found only injector No.1 and No.3 failed rest 2 were alright and the entire system was throwing clean fuel. I requested the dealership to get intouch with the company and inform them that I was ready for the replacement of the failed injectors only and was ready for go the remaining replacement of the entire fuel line, fuel pump and the fuel Rail. I did this on the advice of the mechanic who was helping me diagnose the problem and Vola VW immediately sanctioned 100% repair and closed the matter.
I have driven the jetta 160000kms since and No Problemo what so ever and I own it still.
Now the Contaminated/Adulteration part is concerned I was informed by the fuel station owner that over the period of time water ingress through ground and otherwise from the surface due to rain happens as the fuel filling sockets are at the ground level.
I hope my experience can help you in anyway.
Best of Luck
Kanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 21:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

All brands extensively test and adjust their vehicles for India. It goes without saying they should take in to account the quality and RON of fuel available as well. That is why most of the foreign brands sold here have their engines detuned in the first place. Each customer will usually stick to a pump if he finds the Q&Q to be good. Is he supposed to get the fuels lab tested after buying a particular car? I don't remember hearing about such injector failures from the more humble but popular brands. Even if it occurs, we don't hear of warranty being declined on this ground; or perhaps the parts won't cost this much, one doesn't know.

It is a Skoda after all, not a Ferrari. Meaning it is after all a commuter car, not a high end sports car.
Gansan is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks