Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2020, 16:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Pics: My Wall Tool Organiser

Great Job. So when is the workshop getting done? . When you make a beautiful tool hanger you also need an equally good workshop to go along with it. Don't tell me that these tools are for attending just house repair needs. If yes wonder how your garage tool hanger would look like. There is enough tools to mend the Titanic.

I dare not post pics of my tool box in this forum.

Last edited by srini1785 : 30th September 2020 at 16:19.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 17:01   #17
BHPian

That looks like heaven to my eyes, currently all my tools are stacked in two amazon pantry boxes in which i have made partitions, but it is PITA to find the right tools and stack them again. I have a garage room in my house which i want to convert full time into a small workshop just like from the movie "Gran Torino"
yesyeswe is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 17:20   #18
BHPian

Loved the wall. Especially, that its right next to the bed.

Looks a lot cleaner and more organized than mine. I started collecting basic tools since I was 18. Started with a small toolbox and over the years I've had a chance to convert a kitchen (from my other apartment) into a decent workshop where I could de-stress after a long week.

Here are a few pics of my heaven.
Pics: My Wall Tool Organiser-20200930_170846.jpg

Pics: My Wall Tool Organiser-20200930_172301.jpg

Pics: My Wall Tool Organiser-20200930_171049.jpg

Pics: My Wall Tool Organiser-20200930_171030.jpg

Sorry, things are a bit messy. Have been working on a wood project.

Last edited by DharmeshGohil : 30th September 2020 at 17:25.
DharmeshGohil is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 18:13   #19

Beautifully made.
Congratulations!
AttyBhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 19:01   #20
BHPian

Wow, that’s a man’s cove there mate. Very nicely organised.

Pics: My Wall Tool Organiser-fa71b4c009e840bfa83d69b444efc795.jpeg

Pics: My Wall Tool Organiser-55e7c65e0c2045f6a45aea8c274c48f2.jpeg

Last edited by groom : 30th September 2020 at 19:03.
groom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 21:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmeshGohil View Post
Loved the wall. Especially, that its right next to the bed.

Looks a lot cleaner and more organized than mine. I started collecting basic tools since I was 18. Started with a small toolbox and over the years I've had a chance to convert a kitchen (from my other apartment) into a decent workshop where I could de-stress after a long week.

Hi, how much these pegboards did cost you?
Old 30th September 2020, 23:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wow that's quite cool Gannu and an inspiration too. Being wanting to do that in my garage for so ling though not so elaborate. Just a simply plywood board with nails drive through it.

This has given me some motivation to get that done. Excellent work. Great to have a review of the Urban Ladder service too. Would be wonderful to have something like that in Kerala. Getting a electrician to come is like a two week calling and follow-up exercise!

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 15:13   #23
Team-BHP Support

Woah! Thank you for all the responses and feedback guys. Appreciate it. I honestly wasn't expecting this level of reaction from the community!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
How did you hang all your tools there? Looks like you use multiple nails on the board to hang each tool.
I'll post some close-up snaps of the board shortly; that'll show how the tools are hanged. They are all hung or secured in place using screws and threaded hooks of different sizes. The screws are mostly Phillips head whereas a few are slot-head type with a larger head.

Quote:
Since it is right next to your bed, I suggest you to avoid hanging any sharp and heavy tools on the board, those might fall and injure you in case of any earthquake (0.0001% possibility), but still consider it on a safety point of view.
Oh trust me on the safety bit - I've tried shaking/swaying/rocking/wobbling each of the tool and they don't fall off the screws/hooks. The head of the screw prevents the tool from falling over. It needs to be lifted and taken off the screw.

Quote:
Overall, it looks superb, loved the idea and I plan to do similar thing for my tools soon.
Thank you and good luck with the build! The internet (youtube, pinterest etc) is full of ideas and pics of such builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A workshop in the bedroom? Or a bed in the workshop? Either way is possible!
Haha! Right now, this is a 50:50 bedroom and workshop of sorts. I intend to move the slotted angle rack to this room. The rest of the stuff (power tools, jack stands, consumables, spare parts etc.) are stored in this rack and I've covered it with a plastic cover to prevent the oily stains from all the cooking in the kitchen. That's the plan for the next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Perhaps your second stage might be to replace the desk with a small workbench?
Oh I'd definitely look forward to having a sturdy workbench with a thick wooden top in place of the computer desk. The kind we outfit the workshops of our ships with for all the engineering and shipwright works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Considering the weight of that items on that pegboard, try using the french cleat system to hang it to the wall. 5 screws may not be enough in the long run.
Thanks for the feedback. Let me see how the current setup holds up. I specifically asked the carpenter if the 3" screws would be sufficient or should we be installing anchor bolts - he said anchoring bolts would be an overkill for something as light as this and suggested the former. I'll switch to 8 mm anchor bolts should the need arise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gannu, this is too good to be buried in the DIY Tools thread! Moving to new thread, will go to homepage this week. Thanks for sharing .
Thanks a lot GTO! Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Now build on this and take it to the next level like Casey Neistat and his office.
Damn, that's something else dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
My word, thats wonderful. Not just great utility - its a superb wall ornament too at the same time. Well done Gannu.

Thanks for sharing this with pictures. Gives a fantastic template reference of the layout. You've designed the layout meticulously & very well. Kudos.
Thank you! I was pleasantly surprised at the total cost of this setup - less than Rs. 4500 all inclusive (Rs. 2500 for the 19mm thk 8' x 4' board, Rs. 600 for transportation charges, Rs. 1000 for the UrbanCompany carpenter, Rs. 180 for the varnish, Rs. 120 for the thinner and some change for the fasteners). And there's a huge plank of board left which I've kept below the bed's mattress where I sleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Rabh View Post
Hi Gannu, I'm huge fan of your threads. Your posts are one of the reason I decided to join Team-BHP and I really appreciate DIY jobs.
Thank you! I am humbled.

Quote:
If someone gets inspired from this post and but can't build something like because of any reason, they can buy pegboard which looks like this.
Dude, trust me on this - I've checked pegboards on sale online but they are ridiculously expensive for small sizes! Initially I was looking at pegboards - the kind you see on those western youtube channels and gave up later due to the price + the additional attachments you would need to mount/hang the different tools. Then, I was looking at marine plywood - that would need a proper finish at the end. I finally zeroed in on the OSB and loved the looks of it and the patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Could you please share few more closer pictures of the screws/nails used for hanging spanners, hammers etc.
I will share some close-up snaps soon. Out of station right now.

Quote:
Did you get those filers handles customized with holes for hanging?
Haha super keen eyes! I actually drilled those holes on the handles of the files using 2 drill bits - a pilot drill first and the largest drill next. Will show close up pics soon.

Quote:
Also, I feel having two simple doors could provide better aesthetic view and safety.
Na dude. Not a big fan of doors over this setup. Would prefer it to be open for ease of access and the presentability too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRP View Post
HI! Nice DIY, As a mariner my suggestion for improvement- Use a thick permanent marker pen and draw the outline of all the tools hung at the respective location, on the board. Very handy to replace back multiple tools when used together. White top-coat paint will help.
Thank you Captain! I design and build ships for a living and have outfitted quite some workshops for different class of merchant navy and defence ships. I like the suggestion of marking the outline of the tools. Will get it done shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbshyam View Post
If you don't mind me asking, Where did you source the wood from? I'm in Chennai and would like to understand things like who to approach, what to ask. I may sound stupid asking this, but this has been the largest hurdle to start working on a project which needs wood.
Hi Subbu, I got the board from a shop through our ship chandler who deals with supplies of small items and stuff for our ships. The company name is Royal Tech Marine and the proprietor's name is Pandian. Contact number is 8#9#3#9#1 5#8#5#8#7 without the hashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Great Job. So when is the workshop getting done? . When you make a beautiful tool hanger you also need an equally good workshop to go along with it.
Haha dude I really wish I had a room solely for this! If wishes were horses! Maybe small baby steps at a time?

Quote:
Don't tell me that these tools are for attending just house repair needs. If yes wonder how your garage tool hanger would look like. There is enough tools to mend the Titanic.
Home maintenance + shipyard works during outfitting and sea trials + DIY. Collected them over the last 15-20 years.

Quote:
I dare not post pics of my tool box in this forum.
Come on, we all start somewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I have a garage room in my house which i want to convert full time into a small workshop just like from the movie "Gran Torino"
Oh man, epic movie and Eastwood's home garage setup in that movie is insane! Good luck on the build man.

Quote:
Woah dude! That's a lot of tools and a lovely pegboard setup too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Great to have a review of the Urban Ladder service too. Would be wonderful to have something like that in Kerala. Getting a electrician to come is like a two week calling and follow-up exercise!
The UrbanCompany's carpenter made this an easy-peasy job! I had all the materials ready and the design in mind so he didn't have to waste any time. Do try their service if its available in Trivandrum. Totally worth it IMO.
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 17:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, how much these pegboards did cost you?
Those were manually built using a 4mm ply and a white laminate. Individually drilled holes over 2 movies and a couple of drinks.

Worth the effort.

The ones you may probably get in the market are thin sheets (3mm) made of poor quality MDF. They won't last and the holes would give way in a few months.

If you'd like to use that MDF, get it properly treated and oil painted for longer life.

I got the pegboards hooks and accessories from the US (I believe it was Home Depot).
DharmeshGohil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 21:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Those were manually built using a 4mm ply and a white laminate. Individually drilled holes over 2 movies and a couple of drinks.

Thank you so much for the input.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks