Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Squeaking sounds from a Honda Brio

My Brio turns 8 this month and has just completed 30k kms. I know, haha
Over the past few days, I have noticed that it is producing some strange sounds. The suspension creaks and groans while going over a not-so-good patch of road, the clutch seems to make a "thud" every time I release it in third gear and the steering wheel emits a squeak whenever I turn.

Can anyone suggest possible causes for these problem(s)?
Note: My servicing is pending for quite some time. After my warranty expired, I have been following a once-a-year maintenance schedule instead of Honda's 6 month one given my low running, but I have over shot this year's servicing by a couple of months due to Covid. The area where my Honda A.S.S. is located had become a Covid hotspot a few months back, and I was putting off going to the place for this reason. Again, However, my car seems to be telling me to strap on a pair and give it some much needed attention.

The reason I am posting this query here is that I want to be better prepared for when (or if) the "advisor" suggests that I replace some part, which could easily be fixed, and present me with a nice, fat bill.

Sorry if I sound like a noob, but I do not want to get caught off guard and waste money on useless work. Thanks to all members in advance.
TheGearBox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Squeaking sounds from a Honda Brio

Hey,
I own the longer twin (Amaze). Recently while going on long drive, I noticed the same sound and after further inspection noticed that one of the rear struts was leaking and the shock absorber at the front was at the end of its life (it made a thud noise when driven over bad roads). Also the cars height had decreased significantly.
I'd suggest you get the suspension checked thoroughly.
I also notice that you live in Goa, if you don't want to go to the A. S. S, there's an FNG called Pinto's Garage (I think). I had used his services when I was in Goa two years back to get my i20s clutch checked. He is to the point and extremely knowledgeable as well.

Hope this helps
Sreesh1009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 23:34   #3
BHPian

Welcome to the world of squeaky Hondas Jokes apart, my Honda City was making the exact same kind of "creaks" and "groans" and all sorts of other noises (I used to call them "Damroo" sounds) while being driven over rough patches of roads (even at crawling speeds).

I recently did a suspension overhaul of my car Link : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4921189 (Hondu: Restoring my 3rd-gen '09 Honda City) and I got to know that this is a known issue with Honda. Their suspension and steering assemblies start giving up way too early.

My car had no shocker leaks and had only been driven 38k kms (low mileage just like yours) on city roads. However, the shockers had lost their rebound and had also developed play in them just due to age. I would suggest you find a competent FNG and have the suspension assembly checked up thoroughly.

Also, the thuds and squeaking sounds could be from the steering rack. This is another known problem with Hondas (they're just not built tough enough for Indian conditions) and solution could either be a steering rack repair or a complete replacement depending upon your requirements (if you can tolerate slight noises or want a silent ride) and budget. Getting an inspection done at a reputed Garage would be the right step in assessing the problem. Hope this helps!!
kunalsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
I'd suggest you get the suspension checked thoroughly.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsingh View Post
this is a known issue with Honda. Their suspension and steering assemblies start giving up way too early.
Yeah, I heard about this. Its probably because my car is low mileage that this problem is only coming out after all this time. If I had covered 30k km earlier, then this may have started happening then itself.

Quote:
Also, the thuds and squeaking sounds could be from the steering rack. This is another known problem with Hondas
Again, same as above.

Quote:
(if you can tolerate slight noises or want a silent ride)
The suspension noises are not very audible when music is playing. But the thud and steering noises do come through. Will definitely get it checked.
Also, I really liked your Hondu thread! Waiting for details about the costs, might prepare me for the blow when I get an estimate for my own repairs
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post

Also, I really liked your Hondu thread! Waiting for details about the costs, might prepare me for the blow when I get an estimate for my own repairs
Will be sharing the final part soon! Hang on, as you might just get a pleasant surprise
Old 7th November 2020, 19:25   #6
BHPian

I finally visited an FNG today, a placed called Manic Mechanic. I heard about it through ads on Instagram. A visual inspection showed that the front strut mounts and balance rod bush need to be replaced. They did not give me an estimate right there and said that they would get back to me, which they did via SMS.

Break up of parts as given by them:
Strut kit- 750 each
Mount (Honda OE)- 1200 each
Balance rod bush- 350 each
Total cost of work, including labour quoted as 6200.

Does this sound fine?
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 19:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Strut kit- 750 each

Does this sound fine?
The shocks themselves are cheaper than the rubber mounts? Is that correct? Either you have the prices mixed up or check to see which brand of shocks are being used.

You say the inspection only warranted new mounts & bushings, so what’s the need to replace the struts? Those parts become brittle with age. The shocks & struts however, depends on your driving style & the road conditions. I didn’t know the roads in & around Panjim were that bad that they wore out your shocks within 30,000kms.

Are the front shocks leaking? Is the ride very bouncy?
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 22:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Either you have the prices mixed up or check to see which brand of shocks are being used.
Nope, these are the prices as sent by them.

Quote:
Are the front shocks leaking? Is the ride very bouncy?
There are no leaks, but the ride has become a bit bouncy.

Quote:
I didn’t know the roads in & around Panjim were that bad that they wore out your shocks within 30,000kms.
The roads have been pretty bad for the greater part of the year and I pass through a bunch of bad patches on my daily route. Is 30k km really too early? Because the car is 8 years old...

BTW where do you stay?
Old 8th November 2020, 01:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I finally visited an FNG today, a placed called Manic Mechanic. I heard about it through ads on Instagram. A visual inspection showed that the front strut mounts and balance rod bush need to be replaced. They did not give me an estimate right there and said that they would get back to me, which they did via SMS.

Strut kit- 750 each

Does this sound fine?

I would suggest getting your car inspected at another place before going ahead with them. Also, it won't hurt to do a little homework and familiarise yourself with the various components of the front suspension assembly and how to check for their condition (you'll find plenty of informative videos on youtube).

Having said that, some of the parts you should check for are :
1. Link Rod Bushings
2. Tie Rods End Bushings
3. Lower Arm bushings (this is Y-shaped, and mounted at 3 points - out of which one can be inspected visually after taking the wheels off and the other two points can be checked for play by tugging and pulling the arm itself)

Also, I noticed that the item "Strut Kit" priced at Rs.750. i'm a little confused as to what this is exactly. If this is the shock-absorber then it's way too cheap (shockers usually cost minimum Rs.2000/- for aftermarket) and also the Shock Mounts at Rs. 1200/- seem a bit steep IMO.

Also, I would only trust a garage that does everything transparently - shows you exactly what parts have worn out (visually with inspection) and calls up his vendor/suppliers to check for the prices in front of you even if it is just an estimate.
Hence, I would suggest you get another inspection (along with your homework which will help you identify and inspect worn out components yourself) and then go ahead with the work. First step would be to check all the bushings for cracks (this is the no.1 cause for suspension noises). After identifying the ones that need to be replaced, you should dismount one of the shockers (this is a tedious job) and check for play and rebound (how fas the shocker comes back after being depressed fully).

Also sharing approximate prices for some suspension components for your reference :

1. Shock absorbers (front) = Rs. 2.1-2.4k each (Aftermarket) ; Rs. 4-4.2k (OEM)
2. Link Rods = Rs. 1.2k-1.5k set (aftermarket and around 500-600 more for OEM)
3. Tie Rod ends = Rs. 1.3k-1.5k (aftermarket)
4. Shock-Absorber mounts = Rs. 300-500 each (aftermarket and around 200-300 more for OEM)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by kunalsingh : 8th November 2020 at 01:37.
kunalsingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 05:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
There are no leaks, but the ride has become a bit bouncy.

Is 30k km really too early? Because the car is 8 years old.
Refer to the above post on how to diagnose worn out suspension parts.

Age affects rubber parts, but the shocks & struts should still be okay with hardly 30,000kms. Anyway, get them checked in front of your eyes.

If you feel that new shocks are warranted, that’s your call. When was the last time you bought new tyres? Or are you still on the original factory ones?
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 11:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
it won't hurt to do a little homework and familiarise yourself with the various components of the front suspension assembly and how to check for their condition
You know, I did do some research afterwards and it seemed like the parts that the mechanic looked at did not match the names of parts he said needed replacement.

Quote:
Also, I noticed that the item "Strut Kit" priced at Rs.750. i'm a little confused as to what this is exactly.
Honestly, I don't know what this is either. The owner wasn't there when I visited the garage. The mechanic who did the inspection wouldn't give me an estimate. He called him and told him his diagnosis. I spoke to him over the phone too while I was there and he said he would have to check the prices. This list was sent by him via SMS later. I actually don't even know how the total figure of 6200 comes.

Quote:
Also, I would only trust a garage that does everything transparently - shows you exactly what parts have worn out (visually with inspection) and calls up his vendor/suppliers to check for the prices in front of you even if it is just an estimate.
Frankly, I too did not get a good vibe from the place. They have a couple of good reviews on Google, but I wonder if those are worth anything.

Quote:
When was the last time you bought new tyres?
The front tyres are about a year old. The rear ones are still factory ones.
I think the noise comes from the rear and not the front whose parts have been named for replacement. Another reason I am dubious about this diagnosis.
Old 8th November 2020, 12:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
The front tyres are about a year old. The rear ones are still factory ones.
I think the noise comes from the rear and not the front whose parts have been named for replacement. Another reason I am dubious about this diagnosis.
Now is a good time to get yourself new rear tyres. The maximum useable life of rubber is around 6yrs. Even though your 8yr old tyres may still have plenty of tread remaining, the rubber would have rotted & you should be able to see cracks in the tread, they may not offer you the best safety during high speed driving.

Find an honest mechanic who has good reviews from your friends & family. Don’t blindly trust everything you read on the internet these days.

A wrong diagnosis will not only not waste your money, it will also not fix your problem completely. Worst case, take it Honda for the diagnosis & make them show you proof of what all needs replacing, pay them for their service, then take your car to a mechanic & get the parts changed.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 13:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:

A wrong diagnosis will not only not waste your money, it will also not fix your problem completely.
I agree with this 100%. I had to go through quite a few mechanics/garages (which I found after searching on the internet) until I found one I could trust.

Quote:
Worst case, take it Honda for the diagnosis & make them show you proof of what all needs replacing, pay them for their service, then take your car to a mechanic & get the parts changed.
I also did this step - took my car to Honda for just an oil change service and paid a little extra (Rs.750/- if I remember correctly) to have a detailed inspection done. Denied all the work suggested and got all parts changed from outside
kunalsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 16:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Now is a good time to get yourself new rear tyres.
Could old tyres be a cause for suspension issues, though? I am honestly not sure how much longer I am going to keep the car and that is why I did not change all 4 tyres.

Quote:
A wrong diagnosis will not only not waste your money, it will also not fix your problem completely.
Absolutely right. But the problem is that you never know who to trust.

Quote:
Worst case, take it Honda for the diagnosis & make them show you proof of what all needs replacing, pay them for their service, then take your car to a mechanic & get the parts changed.
Quote:
took my car to Honda for just an oil change service and paid to have a detailed inspection done. Denied all the work suggested and got all parts changed from outside
My plan was also similar. The difference is that I would take an estimate from Honda and compare it with one from a FNG. If the premium Honda asks for is not too much, then I will just get the work done at Honda itself.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I will visit Honda next week and then make a decision.
TheGearBox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 11:14   #15
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
the clutch seems to make a "thud" every time I release it in third gear
A bad clutch should not make a 'thud' sound, are you sure its the clutch and not your engine mounts ? If you are getting a jolt on releasing the clutch, you might want to check your engine mounts too. These jolts will be felt the most when you change gears and release the clutch. The jolt is because the engine 'rocks' more aggressively when the mounts are on their way out.

Quote:
the steering wheel emits a squeak whenever I turn.
This is most likely related to your spoilt suspension only. Check your tie-rods and ball joints first. If at all they are the culprit, don't go for any commonly available 'kits' or just bush replacements unless they are Honda genuine parts as some parts work best when replaced instead of repaired.

Don't go for a complete suspension overhaul if its not needed. 30k kms is far too less for suspension related problems in a well maintained car.

One tip; if your wheel alignment and balancing is due, get it done to see how 'out' it was. If the readings cannot be corrected with basic adjustments, its an indication of major suspension related problems.

Quote:
The difference is that I would take an estimate from Honda and compare it with one from a FNG. If the premium Honda asks for is not too much, then I will just get the work done at Honda itself.
This is the best way to go ahead. Just remember that if the cost differs by a huge amount, the FNG is going to compromise somewhere or the other.

Common sense says that if both; the ASC and FNG will use same OEM genuine parts, the difference should be only in the labour cost. The MRP of the parts will be mentioned on the packaging anyways so its easy to check this aspect. Hence the difference in costs should be ~50% of the labour costs thats it.

Quote:
Don’t blindly trust everything you read on the internet these days.
This advise needs to be followed to the T. Just the other day, I read a post somewhere on our forum where an owner filled a thicker grade; 10w40 oil in his 3rd gen Honda City. The indian models came with 5w30 from factory AFAIK. One more reason why sticking to the ASC is good.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th November 2020 at 04:11. Reason: As requested
OSH is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks