Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 12:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Experiences with a 2011 Tata Nano CX – The James Bond Car

Such a nice review of a car which still impresses me to date. I don't think there is any better city car than this. It's small yet spacious, it is nimble and light, it has decent power and is fuel efficient too.

I'm not sure about driving this through highways but I'd surely love to pick up one later in the future if I'm able to get hands on the 2013+ models.

Also, I know this question won't be much appreciated but for a city car like this, one would always love to factor this in - how much mileage per litre are you getting on your James Bond Car ?

Last edited by logicalidiot : 7th December 2020 at 12:36. Reason: Correction
logicalidiot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 14:23   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueKnight View Post
those perceptions changed when one of our friend bought a used Nano for 50k with 8K in Odometer. The first thing which inspired me was the rear space and the second one was it's bone chiller AC
Thank You, @TorqueKnight. I second what you've said about the Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramven View Post
I bought LX white one in the year 2012 and still hold it dear after 1.4L km.This is an engineering marvel
Thank You @sramven ; your ownership odo is enough inspiration for my relative not to give away the Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
The ease of driving, pickup and overall ride quality for such a tiny (nano?) car was indeed admirable. The car I drove did 120 kmph (which was the end of the odometer) on the Blr-Msr highway
Wow @Neversaygbye !! The speedo maxed out. Yes, I agree on the ease of driving and the pick up - it takes so much stress off the driver. In the driver's seat in most cars, I get irritated with other road users. While driving the Nano, others hurl abuses at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
As an ex-owner of a 2014 Tata Nano Twist XT, I can say with pride that I have driven in excess of 100. Yes for a quick overtake or on a steep incline you do need to switch it off momentarily
That is inspiring @AdityaDeane. I've also observed that a momentary switch off of the compressor switch makes the car get the power it needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The same five people in my Alto would have been a tight fit. I had excellent leg and elbow room
True, @Gansan Sir, I took 4 adults on a short drive the day before yesterday and they were supremely satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSpeed View Post
I was pretty astonished when out of nowhere a Nano once overtook me at 110 - 120 kmph
True, @InsaneSpeed. All that the Nano needs in TN is a good pair of horns to kill the Meowww in the stock horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
After owning one CX he bought another one and he had kept two CX at a time.I always seem him in the white NANO Genx these days. And he is 60 plus year 'young' car nut
That meant a hat trick of Nanos. Good thought of keeping two Nanos together and following up with one more. Drive the one you want to !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
how much mileage per litre are you getting on your James Bond Car ?
Good question @logicalidiot. In the last 24 days, I've done over 1200kms and have averaged 21.6kmpl in a mix of city and highway drives. More drives coming up.

Last edited by vigsom : 7th December 2020 at 14:27.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 04:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
What could be better
• Battery under the seat is not a good idea; the carpet and floor bear the brunt of acid leaks

The battery fitted in the Nano was an Exide 38B20R (35Ah) while the OE spec is 25Ah. The bigger battery is an extremely tight fit under the seat and results in the fixed clamp towards the front becoming useless. Note in the image how the front fixed clamp is fitted.

38B20R battery is a tight fit
Attachment 2088815
Well, I personally have no gross about the battery placement. I remember reading somewhere that battery was placed there as a part of weight balancing. Also, I am surprised that a sealed/maintenance free battery can leak so much of fluids in first place. Looks more like someone tried opening the seal while the battery was still inside the car and it would have tipped over. Anyways, about the battery's tight fit, I guess the mechanic didn't know how to remove/put back the battery. I say this because, I was able replace the battery in my Nano myself without much effort.

I can see in your picture that the top piece of metal that holds the batter in place, is not positioned in the correct way.

See the attached picture taken in my Nano, the metal plate has a small grove that allows for front/back movement while placing the plate in place and that needs to face the drivers legs. Similarly, the other end of the plate has just a hole and that will face the passenger side BUT the base plate has a elongated (vertically) slot that allows for up and down movement/adjustment.

I am sure, you will be able to fix the hold metal plate in place if you try to reposition the plate as seen in the picture.

Lastly, you say your battery is 35AH and the Amaron battery that you see in the picture is also 35AH (at least that is what was told to me while selling it), then how come the size difference? Not sure, if size will vary based on manufacturer!
Attached Thumbnails
Experiences with a 2011 Tata Nano CX – The James Bond Car-whatsapp-image-20201219-02.26.28-1.jpeg  

Experiences with a 2011 Tata Nano CX – The James Bond Car-whatsapp-image-20201219-02.26.28.jpeg  

T-Bone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 18:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
am surprised that a sealed/maintenance free battery can leak so much of fluids
Any battery can leak once it ages, and if the owner doesn't keep a watch on the spill, it can get quite messy. I would never have a battery placed inside the passenger cabin, for weight balancing or otherwise. The fumes generated when the battery is being charged will have no place to go except into the air inside the cabin. Yes, it is still OK for the battery to be inside the cabin if it is a non-AC car, but a strict No No for an AC car.

Quote:
the metal plate has a small grove that allows for front/back movement while placing the plate in place and that needs to face the drivers legs
Thank you for the pictures, @T-Bone. The older Nanos didn't have the groove on the holding plate, but just a hole both in the front and the rear. I created the groove like in your car by chopping off some metal using a hacksaw. Now the battery looks well secured.

Look at how tall the 35Ah Exide is; it looks marginally taller than your Amaron 35Ah battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Experiences with a 2011 Tata Nano CX – The James Bond Car-20201225_123403.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks