Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 15:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: When should components be replaced - after the recommended time duration or distance covered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Ford recommends no gear oil change in the life of the vehicle - I wonder how true is that?
Instead of changing the oil , you can instead change the 'sealed for life' transmission itself. Problem is a ford car at this point would be worth less than the new transmission itself, so change the car as well in the process.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 18:06   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: When should components be replaced - after the recommended time duration or distance covered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Ford recommends no gear oil change in the life of the vehicle - I wonder how true is that?
If a manufacturer says something is sealed for life, thats because of the following reasons:
  • They are confident about the consumable retaining its properties for a long time, For ex transmission fluid retaining its viscosity and lubrication properties for life. Synthetic oils which have been formulated for long life is one of the reasons for extended replacement intervals.
  • They believe that there is no factor within the component which can degrade consumable over time. If we consider the engine oil, it is exposed to fuel vapors, extreme heat, higher speed of moving components etc. Whereas the gearbox is much more stable in operation. The gear shafts and gears move much slower and the oil is exposed to normal temperatures and not combustion temperature within the engine block.
Usually it is the gearbox oils in cars that have got this sealed for life tag associated to it, while the replacement intervals for coolant, power steering fluid etc have been vastly increased. Normally sealed for life does not mean the human lifetime, but somewhere like 10 years/150000kms or manufacturer dependent. It comes from the foreign markets where cars usually dont survive for more than that and are scrapped or goes to a backward country for the rest of its life.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 18:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
One thing i would like to add is Gear Oil Change.The oil in appearance also looked blackish compared to the normal golden that gear oil usually is.
In gearboxes, it is good to replace oil at, say, the 40k kms mark. If the gearboxes are doing light duty, then the oil would not degrade fast. My experience with gear boxes and differentials has been this - gear box oil remains stable even post 40k kms but the rear differential oil would pack up at 30k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakingBad View Post
Is it really necessary when a vehicle is used for just 20% of KMs recommended in the time limit
I have set my own timelines for replacement of parts based on my driving habits and experience, and look at the condition of parts/consumables before deciding on whether to replace or not.

Examples:

1. Good full synthetic engine oil need not be replaced every year if the car has done just 3,000km. This can be pulled on for another year at least, and replaced based on how the oil is then. I don't get the old oil analyzed in a lab but use my own judgement by feeling the oil.

2. Brake liners - my car, which is now 13, had enough juice left in the brake liners when the car was 11, but the liners were getting hard and groaning on deployment hence had them changed.

3. Suspension - still on the original suspension at 13 - only 2 lower arm bushes were changed since they had started cracking. Replacing suspension components at around the 60k kms mark or when they start making noise is the way to go.

4. Tyres - can safely run until no hairline cracks or any other deformation. My tyres are six years old, made in Japan, but I'm still allowing them to run since they still look and feel good. In some countries, it is mandated to change them at 4 years irrespective of condition and wear.

5. Brake fluid - change every 2 years because this fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture, more in wet weather. Delaying replacement of brake fluid results in a polymeric build up in the pistons and pitting the metal too. I burnt my fingers in my Versa since the fluid hadn't been changed for 5 years.

6. Timing/ drive belts - timing belts are to be replaced as recommended since they age and this is a very critical part. The drive belt is best replaced at the 8 year mark latest.

To sum up, some parts go as per manufacturer's recommendations while in others, I go by my judgement.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 08:56   #19
BANNED

I get my car's batteries changed every three years.
The brake pads and rotors are inspected during the 5k oil change services and replaced if the need be.
The timing belt gets changed every 1.2L kms,I am yet to change mine in my car.
The clutch assembly gets changed every 1L kms.
The gear rod assembly gave out and got changed at the 75k kms and I have decided to get them changed at every 60k mark.
Suspension and lows lung steering components get inspected every 1L km and changed if found damaged.
Cabin air filter gets changed at every 20k km.
Gearbox oil gets changed every 1L kms.
Tires are checked frequently and are changed upon wear. My stock Apollo was changed at the 50k km mark and the current Michelins have completed 50k kms and look good for another 30k kms minimum.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 8th December 2020 at 08:59.
Old 8th December 2020, 09:26   #20
BHPian

Certain components have limited life wrt to KM usage. Some have life wrt to time/exposure to elements.

Tyres for example, have limited life wrt to both KM and time. The more you drive, the more wear on the thread. The longer you store the tyre (with less usage also), the tyre tends to become hard and you can see cracks on the sidewall.
Old 8th December 2020, 20:41   #21
Team-BHP Support

A lot depends on usage as well and the material of the component. Please find something that I put together

Name:  Screenshot 20201208 at 8.39.39 PM.png
Views: 656
Size:  43.1 KB
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 22:00   #22
PGA
BHPian

I guess I am the only one here who believes in using it till the death. Servicing periodicity of all my cars is double of what is recommended by the OEM, I don't believe in changing any part with an exception of timing belt on periodicity. I have been driving since 1975 and have driven across most of India and never ever had the misfortune of getting stuck on the road for a vehicle breakdown except once on my honeymoon drive to Manali in 1992 near Kullu when the diaphram of the fuel pump in M800 gave way, any amount of servicing wouldn't have been able to obviate the problem.

Putting an end to the boast, I have some caveats before one decides to go that way, please know you machine as good as you know yourself, I have considered my machines as an extension of myself and endeavour to know them as well. Its not that problems occur out of the blue, they give indications before the complete failure, please be aware the gravity of problem and ability to live with it or get it repaired before a major breakdown. Lastly use the machines in the conditions for which they have been designed for.

I trust that technology has evolved today to deliver machines which can run trouble free for their lives when used under the normal conditions, many times servicing edicts are due to commercial considerations than the need of the machines, so if one is little sure footed, no harm in extending the envelop.
PGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 23:44   #23
BHPian

Take tyres for instance, which are on a sparingly used car will still undergo vulcanisation, loss of elasticity and stiffen over a period of time while the treads seem perfectly alright. Every component probably loses some of its characteristics over time even when unused. So it’s better treated as “whichever is earlier”.
Old 9th December 2020, 00:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A lot depends on usage as well and the material of the component. Please find something that I put together

Attachment 2090681
Great image. But I'd say transmission fluid under normal use (10-12k km/year) should also be changed by time depending on car.

For example: My parents own a Ciaz in which the manual states that ATF has to changed at 11 years or 165,000 km. I think 10 years or 100,000 km is a better interval in the Indian conditions.
Old 9th December 2020, 00:28   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

For a vehicle that gets a reasonable amount of use, most things get taken care of during the regular servicing. When the vehicle gets older and it was used very little, this where the trouble starts.

A 13 year old car with stock tires which look new because the vehicle has just over 10K on the odometer. This vehicle will have dodgy brakes, sticky clutch etc because there are plastic and rubber bits that are now past their prime and leaking.

I think a periodic inspection and replacement is necessary with due advice from a trusted mechanic regardless of time or kilometres.
Old 24th September 2023, 18:49   #26
BHPian

Bumping an old thread for some inputs.

Our 1 year old Diesel Alcazar is seeing some very high running and is averaging approx 200 km daily runs for the last few months. Should the service we done every 10k km as prescribed by Hyundai and what things should be done / be left out in service that is coming up every 2nd month now.

As per Hyundai service center, warranty might be rejected in case servicing is not done as per proper intervals, the car comes with a 3 year unlimited Km warranty but no extended warranty options is available for unlimited km.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks