Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 19:25   #1
BHPian

When should components be replaced - after the recommended time duration or distance covered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post

Also, I need to address the elephant in the room, but why are you performing the 24month/40,000kms service now, when you should be doing the 54month/60month service? Which periodic service interval was performed at your previous service visit?
I have always been bit confused by the Duration vs KM service schedule as well. At least until last year, the difference between both were only lagging few thousand KM but due to COVID, the service schedule based on duration for me will be 2-3 services ahead of KM based service schedule.

My Jazz’s 42nd month service is due this month but the car has only run 35k KM. The service advisors always insist to use the KM based schedule and pretty sure they will recommend me to use the 40kKM/24month service when I go in this month. I know that Honda says whichever comes first need to be used but their own dealers don’t recommend it.

I always compare both schedules and if there are any differences ask them to do it or at least check the condition of the part and inform me. So far there have been only minor differences between them but looking at the future maintenance schedules, I see lot of big items coming up if we go by month based schedule but the car would have run only half the KM, so wonder what one’s call as a owner should be.
Yieldway17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 19:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I have always been bit confused by the Duration vs KM service schedule as well. I know that Honda says whichever comes first need to be used but their own dealers don’t recommend it.

I always compare both schedules and if there are any differences ask them to do it or at least check the condition of the part and inform me. So far there have been only minor differences between them but looking at the future maintenance schedules, I see lot of big items coming up if we go by month based schedule but the car would have run only half the KM, so wonder what one’s call as a owner should be.
Excellent question!

The interval recommended by the manufacturer is whichever comes first. Various car components have a kilometre limit as well as an age limit.

I only recommend you stick to the service interval mentioned in your service manual & not what the dealer suggests. Ultimately, if there is premature part failure or something untoward happens with the vehicle, Honda (OEM) is going to claim that you didn’t follow their recommended service interval.

While I get that some intervals are only differentiated by a minor part replacement, however, some intervals (especially for CVT variants) require that you change the CVT fluid on schedule. Missing these critical part/fluid replacements will drastically reduce the life of the vehicle & will certainly affect the longevity & reliability of the vehicle, long term.

Do not blindly trust the stealership, they are out to make easy money. Trust only your service manual & the interval mentioned in there, as ultimately, when push comes to shove, Honda(OEM) isn’t responsible for any unexpected vehicle behaviour if the vehicle isn’t serviced as per its schedule.

You have been wise & asked them to check the omitted items, but for complete peace of mind, I would service the vehicle based on its age interval if the usage is extremely low.

You don’t want to be penny wise, pound foolish. At the same time, you also don’t want to be taken for a ride by the stealership.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 20:55   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: When should components be replaced - after the recommended time duration or distance covered?

When should components be replaced - after the recommended time duration or distance covered? - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 21:11   #4
BHPian

Re: When should components be replaced - after the recommended time duration or distance covered?

I prefer to stick with company scheduled service interval when the car is under warranty even if the kilometers covered are low. Once the car is out of warranty, I change the parts according to its wear and tear. Same with engine oil and other fluids. I also take advise from FNG if I'm not much convinced by service advisor.
K_Drive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 21:21   #5
BHPian

I had my Tiguan highline serviced today. Two years or 30000 km.
However, thanks to covid and Work from home means my actual mileage is less than 9000 km.

VW recommends every year or 15000 km. My service agent said that I would lose the warranty if I don’t follow their recommendations.
But with such low usage, it makes no sense.
Sree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 22:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Well there is a reason the manufacturer provides two methods of calculating the service interval, by distance used and time. And thats the way things should be done and as the table states, "Whichever is earlier". There is nothing like "Choose as you desire". The reason is that the items in the periodic maintenance chart have a life associated to them, either by time due to things like shelf life etc and distance due to wear and tear and so. What happens if you leave an old coolant for longer than specified? It will just increase the chances of radiator rusting or formation of rust based sludge in the cooling lines. What happens if you leave the brake fluid for longer than specified? It will absorb moisture and stop working as it must, even though you might have not used the car at all.

But there are obviously other things which do not have a replacement interval, like the head unit of the car, or for that sake even the suspension components, which age differently and replaced upon inspection and when found bad.

Of course, you can always decide to push the intervals to your liking, but you should also consider the consequences of the risk you are taking. But thats not always a smart move if the justification is because the car hasnt run at all, etc. There are some legit reasons, say you use a really good engine oil and decide to use it for 12-13k kms instead of 10k kms, or some circumstances force you to use that oil beyond the manufacturer recommended duration of time - that would not blow your engine. However, it is again your call and especially if your car is under warranty, forget the warranty if you do not stick to the interval, unless the manufacturer themselves offer an extension in case of times like COVID when service was just not possible.

Hence, if you really want to push your service intervals, or replacement of consumables, you should have a stronger justification rather than just that the car has been parked for the whole year.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 10:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

My car does very low mileage per year and it has been lower still in 2020 due to COVID. That said, with consumables like engine oil, oil filter, coolant and brake fluid I replace them by time interval suggested in the owners manual. The other components are:

a) The tyres, every 5-7 years to be on the safe side.
b) For all other parts for e.g. spark plugs, brake pads, windshield wipers, fuel filter, etc it is on a need basis. I tell the service advisor what I need done and ensure they follow it to the T.
c) Transmission fluid every 5-7 years even though the manufacturer claims it to be a life time fill from the factory.

I am liberal when it comes to maintenance and do not hesitate to replace or service components, especially related to safety, the mileage is irrelevant.

Last edited by R2D2 : 6th December 2020 at 10:29.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 11:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say replace them just as you would do with tyres. Either when they are worn out (Distance Covered) or when the time has come.

You should not go over board with both. If the kilometers aren't up, still you need to change if the times up. Similarly if the kilometers are up, you shouldn't wait for the time to come, to change.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 12:25   #9
BHPian

This is a lovely thread!.

My 2006 Verna had a service interval of 6 months/10,000 kms, whichever was earlier. The usage was quite less at around 500 kms a month. So obviously it never crossed 3,000 kms when six months were up and I started receiving service reminder calls. For the first three years, all the services were diligently done as per recommendation. For almost the next 9 years, till the car was sold I only serviced it every 9 or 10 months. I used to get a complete check up done, including fluid top ups at Hyundai's free service camps whenever they were held.

Brake pads(worn out) and spark plugs ( as per manual) were replaced once when the car went in for service. I even touched 12 months once and SA clarified "since your usage is quite low, it is fine"

The car was a real gem and continued to run like a brand new car, silky smooth, super refined and rocket power!.

I am no technical expert, just followed this schedule instinctively and faced zero issues.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 14:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

As long as the car's in warranty, I follow the manufacturer recommendation of KM or duration, whichever comes first. By the time warranty is getting over, it serves well to find a good independent garage who can give honest advices.

My rule of thumb for -
  • Engine oil and filter, rear differential oil - change them twice at the same interval
  • Air filter - sooner if I drive more, or manufacturer recommendation
  • Coolant, brake fluid, transmission oil, front differential oil - manufacturer recommendation
  • Critical parts (timing belt/ chain, drive belt, pretensioners, etc.) - manufacturer recommendation or earlier based on condition
  • Wear and tear parts (suspension, brake pads/ shoes, lower arm, clutch, tie rod, tyres, battery, etc.) - based on their
The question arises about related parts - for example, should I replace the flywheel and master/ slave cylinders when changing the clutch, for example? While I'll probably change the cylinders, I'll trust my mechanic's advice on the flywheel.
Old 6th December 2020, 17:46   #11
BHPian

This question is a no-brainer till the time the car is in a warranty period. During the period, for any unfortunate incident, the warranty needs to be invoked, and the car has not followed "whichever comes first" schedule, the manufacturer may refuse to honour the claim. So while it is in warranty period, better to get the scheduled maintenance in a timely manner, irrespective of the kms covered.

However, once the car is out of the warranty period, it's a different scenario. I would prefer to get the car serviced at regular intervals, and change the parts based on whether that part is running-based or not. For example, parts like wipers will wear out irrespective of use. Also, regular servicing hardly costs equivalent to one tank of fuel these days, so no harm in getting it done. However, parts can be replaced based on wear and tear.
Old 7th December 2020, 09:38   #12
BHPian

Can some distinguished BHPians / engineers explain with some parts and the exact reasons for time based change interval? what happens to a particular part over a period of time as such? may be parts like Diesel engine's Timing belts. I can understand rubber parts becoming hard with time how ever, metal parts immersed in oil or not getting exposed to elements to be changed based on time are a mystery to us.

In the interest of environment, even the oils and other stuffs why can't they be replaced based on condition and not just by age. I understand oxidisation happening for oil... but is it really necessary when a vehicle is used for just 20% of KMs recommended in the time limit. i remember seeing somewhere that BMW cars giving service alert based on the condition detected by sensors - if true why can't that be implemented for mass market cars... are they prohibitively expensive (comparing the savings over life of car Vs one time capital expense)?
BrakingBad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:43   #13
BHPian

One thing i would like to add is Gear Oil Change. Irrespective of what the manufacturer says please get it replaced sooner. I have seen in my own car where its claimed change interval is 80k kms. I recently had it changed at 30k and even the senior mechanic agreed that pushing gearbox oil change to 80k is way too far.It hardly costs anything and i would rather replace it sooner rather then let my gearbox go bust.The oil in appearance also looked blackish compared to the normal golden that gear oil usually is.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 14:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
One thing i would like to add is Gear Oil Change
Ford recommends no gear oil change in the life of the vehicle - I wonder how true is that?
Old 7th December 2020, 15:13   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Ford recommends no gear oil change in the life of the vehicle - I wonder how true is that?
+1.

I have seen many such instances and think it best to change the transmission oil around 80-100K kms period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks