Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2023, 00:22   #241

Re: 2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Very few people have achieved a degree of success with new cables. I'd really like if this is forked to a new thread since even GTO and seasoned people like Phoenix here are facing the same issue whether 2020 or 2023 YOM.
An update. MASS people sent a car for testing today. I had my HUD switched from that and faced the same problem. Post that we switched my car's HUD and usb port in the other car and it worked perfectly fine with all of the cables I tried. And this was done for a full day to check. There were no disconnections whatsoever. Tried on a bumpy road as well.

Service center people are suspecting a wiring issue. I'll update here if it is fixed after that.

Did anyone else got their wiring changed for the same?
Old 28th March 2024, 09:21   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Ask any tyre aligner to do your steering bump stops. 2 min fix.
I had posted on the Thar review thread about a similar issue am running into. I upsized to 285/60/r18s but the tires rub on the lower arm at full turn on both sides (am told that M&M had resolved this issue with later production Thar's and 285's run flawlessly on those). So, before going the aftermarket spacers route, I was wondering if there was a steering limiter adjustment available on the Thar, like it does on Jeeps, that would resolve this issue fairly easily at the cost of somewhat increasing the turning radius of the vehicle.

Is that what you are referring to above by "steering bump stops"? Please let me know because I am not comfortable with the idea of spacers messing with the suspension geometry and the risk associated with running questionable quality aftermarket products and jeopardizing safety.
Old 28th March 2024, 15:00   #243
BHPian

I had a strange experience with my 2023 P MT 4x4 Thar. Thar was purchased in Feb 2023 and has done 17k+ km now. Last Monday i drove Thar to office as usual (around 25km) and it remained parked in the basement parking till the evening. Nothing was unusual. But once i started the car in the evening and drove few meters i realized OBD check light is on and engine is not responding to my throttle inputs. Also there was unusual vibration from the engine which was idling around 1500rpm. Car was moving so i parked it near to office exit point and took a cab home.

Next day i started the vehicle again and same issue persisted, check OBD light was ON, and after starting up, it goes in to a kind of 'limp' mode without responding to throttle inputs and idling with unusual vibrations at around 1500rpm. I called the service center and they advised not to drive the car. I decided to call the RSA to tow the car to service center . Issue was registered and they assured pickup in around 60mins, but later received a call stating the tow truck will be delayed and expect call in 90mins. Anyway I was in the office and not worried about when it will be picked up. After around 3hrs the tow truck arrived and picked up the car. This was a flatbed truck and i was struggling to drive the car up the ramp due to lack of power. After couple of attempts was able to secure the car on the flat bed and went to the service center.

We reached the service center which was around 5km from my office, and i myself drove the car out of the flat bed. But this time i could sense something was different. There was no vibration from the engine!! I parked the car and called the SA to show the issue, and confirming my doubt, there was no engine idling or vibration and throttle inputs were responded as usual. But there was the OBD light still ON. He switched off the engine asked me to get the job card filled so that he can inspect the car. Once the job card was created we went to check the car again and, guess what, the check OBD light is gone!!. Now i had to convince them what i experienced and they agreed to check the vehicle next day as it was already late evening. He also speculated this might be a rat bite issue.

Next day i got call from service center claiming they did a 8km test drive and could not reproduce the issue and could not find any visible issues. But there was some error history in the OBD reader showing injector short circuit. He said they have cleaned the injectors and cleared the error and this was probably a dust issue. Bill was generated with Rs. 0 amount and asked me to take the vehicle back on observation, to return if the same issues comes back again.

The errors in POWERTRAIN category in the image below were the once that caused issue (item 10 and 11). It says Injector Short to Ground, with codes P0267 and P0264

Now i am confused about this behavior, if it was just the check OBD Light ON and no other issues it might have been a bit more comforting but knowing that the car went to limp mode and there was no issue recognized by service center other than dust on injector is keeping me up at night. Thar is meant to be a hard core off-roader and how can dust (which is plenty where i stay in Bangalore) put the car in to limp mode.

here are some of my doubts why this happened

1. I had a car was on Saturday (2 days before the issue) and the engine bay was washed with pressure water, but i was around and told him to do it from a distance to make sure no direct pressure on the electricals (also Thar has engine cover so water wont go directly on engine). But i drove around 60km right after the wash and there was no issue

2. I had a dusty trail ride on Sunday, nothing unusual or hardcore, i have done off-roading in mud and muck and dust much more than this.

Also there is no alteration done to the car which can cause electrical issues. Nothing else comes to my mind that could have caused this and how it was rectified automatically.

Any thoughts on this strange experience from fellow tbhpians ? Anyone else faced similar issue with their petrol Thar?

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-upload_1.jpg

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-upload_2.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 31st March 2024 at 02:41. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line. Typos fixed.
ak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 15:10   #244
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Is that what you are referring to above by "steering bump stops"?
Give this link (MM550: Issue with steering precision & turning radius) a shot. I do not know if the new thar has this option. Dhanush here is your best bet. Being Hydraulic I'm sure it'll have something somewhere else all the (I'm generalizing) NCR lot driving 285's on road dividers would have a very hard time managing the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma1arjun View Post
I had my HUD switched from that and faced the same problem. Post that we switched my car's HUD and usb port in the other car and it worked perfectly fine with all of the cables I tried.
(SNIP)...

Did anyone else got their wiring changed for the same?
They changed my entire IP wiring, and stereo, and USB ports. It didn't give. At standstill or motion, alike. The only thing that has worked after trying multiple wireless adapters, cables and phones, is an AI android box available on Amazon for about 11k that outputs a carplay interface but connects to Android. It's rebooted on me just once in about 5k kms. And what is the HUD you speak of? Is it the stereo or the instrument cluster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma1arjun View Post
Even I have given up now. I received my car today after 10 days yesterday and got the same issue again. I gave it for inspection for the same issue. They keep on asking for more videos and now they've asked me to check my phone.

Also reading the old posts I can see the people facing this issue are also facing random instrument cluster restart. Maybe they are connected somehow as I am facing that as well.
So far, 3k kms after the IP wiring replacement and no instrument cluster restarts, though the DPF intermittent pop up persists. The android issue was sorted out as I stated above by me and not by Mahindra. Rather, phoenix helped with this fix.

Regarding the 'share video sir', there is no end to it. Stand your ground. A dashcam temporarily affixed inside the car may help with videos. But really, they're just skirting the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaholic View Post
Hello Friends, My 2nd Gen Thar from 2021 has steering drag to the left
(SNIP)

I found one useful post here for a similar issue mentioning to calibrate the steering however when approached to the dealer with this solution they are either utterly ignorant or lazy to try it.
(SNIP)

However I'm thoroughly convinced that my Thar's steering needs a fix that I'm yet to uncover.
My final fix was:

1. Alignment didn't work. Caster was terribly out of spec. Sector 59 Koncept NOIDA said they can't adjust castor, believe it. They asked me to take this outside to the car market.
2. Apollo Tyres (Zone) @ sec 16 (Ashok) fixed up my caster in 10 minutes. It's easy and there's an SOP.
3. Koncept sector 2 fixed up my alignment yet again. It still pulled a bit and while some steering comfort came back, it was far from normal.
4. After driving 2k kms, koncept sector 2 fixed it up again. They'd also enabled their alignment bed to handle new gen cars (xuv 700 onwards) so maybe they calibrated the ATS ELGI machine in my month away. The steering is back to normal now. They retain a slight caster difference to compensate for the road camber that leans left in India.
5. The steering angle sensor doesn't do much of significance given the Hydraulic nature is what I was told. The sensing is done from the clockspring and is rudimentary. I could be wrong.
wooka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 15:35   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak10 View Post

here are some of my doubts why this happened

1. I had a car was on Saturday (2 days before the issue) and the engine bay was washed with pressure water, but i was around and told him to do it from a distance to make sure no direct pressure on the electricals (also thar has engine cover so water wont go directly on engine). But i drove around 60km right after the wash and there was no issue

2. I had a dusty trail ride on Sunday, nothing unusual or hardcore, i have done offroading in mud and muck and dust much more than this.

Any thoughts on this strange experience from fellow tbhpians ? Anyone else faced similar issue with their petrol thar?
Come what may, do not pressure wash the engine bay even though there is an engine cover. It is also strictly prohibited in the owner's manual

Dust could be a culprit here. You never know where mud can go. Even if dust touches even some part of your electricals you may get errors.

When my Thar went for its 10K service a week after i went off-roading, the scanner detected an error, one brake light had stopped functioning and the check engine light came up. They told me that ther could be mud on the ABS sensor and they would need lots of time to clean it.

However after they gave the underbody a thorough wash post service, everything got sorted by itself. Brake light started working and the error went away.

My Thar is a July 2023 production and is a petrol AT 4x4.
Dippy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 19:27   #246
BHPian

Folks, need done guidance here.

I have a 2021 Diesel HT Thar and since the last 6 months the suspension noise has been driving me absolutely crazy. I reported this issue to Mahindra ASC during my periodic service and also went specially to report/address this issue next time. Each time the issue was addressed, only to resurface in under 3 days within a 50km drive. The strange part is that this noise starts only after having driven for some time e.g. after 8-10km drive and then stays put. Next day again the suspension is silent for the first 8-10km and then it goes crazy. There is a distinct metal clanking sound when going over a speed hump or any road undulation.

Sharing a video of the same

Any suggestions?
Old 31st March 2024, 01:47   #247
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Any suggestions?
Hi, I faced the similar issue when i bought my Thar back in 2021.
Its your TRACTION CONTROL making noises over speed bumps and uneven roads. if any doubts turn your traction control off on rough roads and drive for some distance. I think its what Thar normally does..

Last edited by aah78 : 31st March 2024 at 02:42. Reason: Quote trimmed, typos fixed, spacing fixed. Please proof-read. Thanks!
Old 31st March 2024, 10:00   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udayajit View Post
Hi, I faced the similar issue when i bought my Thar back in 2021.
Its your TRACTION CONTROL making noises over speed bumps and uneven roads. if any doubts turn your traction control off on rough roads and drive for some distance. I think its what Thar normally does..
Traction control will not make any noise. The loudest noise in the TCS system would be the ESP motor noise, and it does not come ON during humps.
Old 31st March 2024, 10:26   #249
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Traction control will not make any noise. The loudest noise in the TCS system would be the ESP motor noise, and it does not come ON during humps.
I just listned to the sound in video and it sounds different from the one i faced earlier but i did experienced Esp motor coming on bad roads and few speed bumps. I also posted this problem when i first joined TEAM -BHP .
Old 20th April 2024, 18:44   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
I have a 2021 Diesel HT Thar and since the last 6 months the suspension noise has been driving me absolutely crazy......There is a distinct metal clanking sound when going over a speed hump or any road undulation.
Having gone to Sireesh Motors a couple of times to get this addressed without much success, thought of trying a different workshop. PPS Motors in Audugodi BLR was the only nearby place which had open slots (others had a minimum of a week's wait). So went there this morning.

The place had vibes of a typicaly neighbourhood garage. Not as large or as sophisticated looking like others. But when I went there this morning, almost 6-8 technicians immediately started taking a look. Having the first slot in the morning helped garner everyone's attention and almost everyone pitched in to troubleshoot. 10 mins later, the root cause was identified.

My vehicle is a pre-owned one, and the first-owner had gotten an engine guard installed. The bolts used for installation of the guard were longer than they should have been, so every time I would drive over a speed bump, the bolt would touch a cross member (not sure if this is the correct term) thus resulting in that metal-clanking noise. The team immediately replaced the bolts with the right sized ones and voila the noise was gone. The best part was the troubleshooting process and team work. I was present on the workshop floor witnessing the same and an hour later I was on my way back home.

The Thar never felt so quiet before. Such a relief.

Kudos to the team at PPS Mahindra. Strangely, they are listed on the Mahindra For You app as Automotive Manufacturers and not PPS Mahindra.
NammaTBHP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 11:33   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Weird Beeps on 2023 Thar Petrol AT 4x4 :

I had some weird beeps on my 2023 Thar Petrol AT 4x4, which has run about 14,000km. I posted that in my ownership thread too, but cross-posting it here just to see if anyone here has faced the same.

I and my wife drove to one place in Thar, and it was all fine. We parked the Thar, and were away for about two hours. When we returned, and started driving back to home, in about 4 to 5 minutes in the drive, all of a sudden some weird beeps started coming from (apparently) the instrument panel. There were no error messages whatsoever in the MID. The beeps were also very different from any other audio alarm or chime I have ever heard in the car.

Here are some relevant points to clarify that no other known issues/possibilities exist:
  • All doors were properly locked and this was not a door ajar chime.
  • There was absolutely no error message or any other warning light whatsoever on the MID.
  • I checked the history of errors using OBD and there is no error logged.
  • My wife was sitting on the passenger seat and both my wife I had seatbelts fastened as we always do, without fail! This is anyway not the seatbelt warning chime (that has a different tone).
  • The handbrake was properly released, and this was not the handbrake on chime too.
  • TPMS showed that all tyre pressures were normal and this was not a TPMS error.
  • The engine temperature was normal (about halfway on the gauge), and fuel level was about 50% too.
  • I checked my phone too in case the beeps were from the phone. No, there was nothing on the phone, and the beeps were not from the phone. The phone was connected to the car by bluetooth (I was NOT using Android Auto that time), but all was normal on the phone too.
  • The weird, unidentified beeps lasted for about 20 seconds, went away, and came back again every 4 to 5 minutes, at a very regular internal. This pattern lasted in that drive which was about 20 minutes drive.
  • I came home and waited in the parked car (engine running) to check if the beeps came when car was stationary and in P. They did continue to come every 4 to 5 minutes even when I waited in the parked car. I double checked all errors/warnings possibilities when I waited there, and still saw nothing else was wrong.
  • After I switched off the engine, went home, and started the car next day, all was normal. No beeps. I drove the car a few more times since then, and the beeps never came back. They disappeared mysteriously, just as they appeared mysteriously.
  • Later I remembered this had happened once in the past too, but that time, this weird beep came only once and went away (it was not this periodic pattern that time). Since it was a one-off beep that time, I ignored it and did not think much of that later. But this second time, it was a periodic pattern than repeated every few minutes in that specific drive back home.
I do not have a sharable recording of my own of these beeps, but on searching on the net, found that a few other owners have experienced this to.

Here is one YouTube video (note: this is NOT my video. This is of someone else who had the same beeps) showing the exact same beeps that I had:

And on Google search, found someone mentioned this on Reddit too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CarsIndia/c...nd_i_cant_see/

One of the replies in this Reddit thread says that these sounds come randomly about once a month, and they go away after car is restarted. In my case they certainly went away after the car was restarted, but I hope this does not become a regular thing.

Any ideas what this could be? Anyways, since the beeps are gone now, and everything seems fine, I am just using the car and did not go to the service center. But if the beeps return, then certainly I will go to the service center and ask them to check everything.

Any tips or ideas about this would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 23rd April 2024 at 11:37.
Old 24th April 2024, 20:13   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post

2. Once in a while you hear the "chime" while driving and the entire display quickly restarts within a blink of the eye. You hardly notice it but the "chime" is very evident and confuses you with the low fuel alert. Occurs once or twice in a month like a scheduled alert
We're you able to find a solution for this?

Also, there is a constant clicking/Knocking/Creaking sound from the rear right in my Thar. I get this sound mostly on pretty much flat roads and there is no pattern to it. Someday I get it for almost through out the day while other days there is no sound. This is me driving ~70kmph on Gurgaon Delhi Highway and this noise didn't stop for the next 2hours.

Last edited by vellatechie : 24th April 2024 at 20:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks