Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 20:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
I will get the wheels balanced and hope that its a problem with the rims and no damage to the suspension or anything else.
Rev, it's most probably a problem with the tyres, not even the rims.
Due to uneven wear, tyres are usually the culprit. Wheel balancing should be done every five to eight thousand kms.
Old 29th January 2009, 00:40   #17
Ali
BHPian

My car is 7500 kms old, Somehow it vanished to an extent. My tyres were over inflated,got them checked. There is significant change, but the front left tyre seems to be the culprit. The tyre wobbles a little, i guess the balancing would help.
Old 7th February 2011, 20:53   #18

Re: Steering wheel vibration

Cheers to everyone,
I hope I get some answers opening an old thread. I have a year old linea MJD clocking 19k (70% because of sheer pleasure for driving). Now that the car is old, I started to drive above 100kmph touching 145kms sometimes (but for a few seconds/minute) and found that the steering wheel was vibrating. Did both balancing and alignment but the problem persists. Again went through the process of alignment and balancing in service centre after a month or so. That too didn't help. Where might be the problem? Is it possible they messed the balancing (was computerised though)? and yes, I did the rotation too.

Drive safe and wear safety belt,
Old 8th February 2011, 11:32   #19
BHPian

Check if there is any bend in rims. If no bends, suspension could be an issue here.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARMAniac View Post
Cheers to everyone,
I hope I get some answers opening an old thread. I have a year old linea MJD clocking 19k (70% because of sheer pleasure for driving). Now that the car is old, I started to drive above 100kmph touching 145kms sometimes (but for a few seconds/minute) and found that the steering wheel was vibrating. Did both balancing and alignment but the problem persists. Again went through the process of alignment and balancing in service centre after a month or so. That too didn't help. Where might be the problem? Is it possible they messed the balancing (was computerised though)? and yes, I did the rotation too.

Drive safe and wear safety belt,
As pointed above, bent rims could be an issue (if your car has steel rims). If alloys, then they should be okay. One of the reasons for the vibration can be bad tyres. Some tyres (like GPS2) develop wobbles after some usage and then any amount of tyre balancing does not help. Though it generally happens after ~30k km of usage but can't rule out the possibility of happening earlier. Only way to check on this is to fit tyres from other car and drive. But before you do that, I suggest you get the suspension checked first. Your car should be in warranty, so take the SA for a spin and show him the vibration. They will also have another lineas to check after swapping the tyres. I think linea mostly comes with Goodyear GT3 which are not considered very good (like most other OE tyres).

Hope this helps, cheers!
Old 9th February 2011, 10:34   #21

Mine are alloys. I am thinking of reverting to earlier steel rims (since i changed them after a 300kms) and see if there is any change. one of my friends who deals in tyres, also suggested to change the stock tyres since they don't perform well; but then maybe he is trying to sell his tyres. Please dont scare me about the suspension because that means going to tata service centre and that's like sentencing to hell. Has any other lineas face this problem? Some guys here claim that they drive at near about 140-175kmph
Old 9th February 2011, 11:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Karmaniac, as mentioned by others check the rim and also see if thier is uneven wear of tyres.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:50   #23
BHPian

As far as i know, Lineas should be stable at speeds > 150 kmph. Should not feel any Steering vibration.

First, check Tyres, for uneven wear.

Not sure if you face such issues with Alloys. Have them checked as well for any bends.

Suspension could also be a suspect here, if you feel vibrations at high speed. You can have it checked by any reliable mechanic outside, just to know if there is any problem.
Old 9th February 2011, 19:54   #24

There is normal wear of the tyres and that too uniformly. WIll check out the rims (which i doubt) and the suspensions. Didn't want to go to the service centers- you go in with 1 problem and come out with a new 5
Old 9th February 2011, 21:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Other than the usual suspects (balancing, rims, flatspotted/ out of round tyres etc) worn out CV joints.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 10th February 2011, 00:09   #26
BANNED

Steering column will be loose. Check with the service center..
Old 16th February 2011, 20:21   #27

There are no bends on my alloy rims nor are there any un-uniform wear of the tyres. But I forgot to mention one thing- I have to keep my steering wheel 5-10degrees to the left to keep the car going straight. In other words, if i keep the steering wheel straight the car veers to the right. I had it checked and sorted out in the service center but after a week or so, the abnormality showed up again. Is any possibility of the these two things, the steering wheel imbalance and the vibration, being related?

Drive safe.
Old 17th February 2011, 09:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
There are no bends on my alloy rims nor are there any un-uniform wear of the tyres. But I forgot to mention one thing- I have to keep my steering wheel 5-10degrees to the left to keep the car going straight. In other words, if i keep the steering wheel straight the car veers to the right. I had it checked and sorted out in the service center but after a week or so, the abnormality showed up again. Is any possibility of the these two things, the steering wheel imbalance and the vibration, being related?

Drive safe.
If the steering wheel was centered, it should not get misaligned so soon. When driving, do you feel there is a play in steering wheel? I believe Linea's steering is very precise and results in spot on corrections so something is not right for sure. If you are not willing to go to TASS then go to a good outside wheel alignment shop. Those guys are also experts and centering the steerings and they can check if there is anything wrong with the column, rods, ends, joints etc. After nailing down the issue, you can go to TASS and get it changed/ fixed in warranty. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!
Old 21st February 2011, 23:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:

Drive safe.
'keep my steering wheel 5-10degrees to the left ---'
That is ply steer due to tyres or a misaligned car, former is more probable.

Just finished 2 cases of rim related issues on 2 cars. There is no relation to ply steer and vibration. Suspect rim bend or poor tyre seating, or offcentering of tyre or rim, unless mechanical suspension or steering joints and bushes are worn. Swap your rims Front to rear and put the ones with the least wobble(runout) in the front. Please ride and reply.

Regards Johnn
Old 4th March 2011, 10:41   #30

Sorry for replying to you so late. Thanks for the suggestions though. How do one arrive to a misaligned car? I never had abused the car so far nor had any accident ( touchwood!!) to have a misaligned car. I have done wheel balancing and alignment not once but twice but to make sure. I also had done tire rotation and there is no unequal worn-out of tires too. Now, I am not sure if my mind is playing or not but i think the ply ( to use your term) angle is increasing ever so slightly. I didn't expect this kind of problem from such a relatively new car ( into 2 years of possession). Believe have to check other mechanical components.
Any other points I should look for before going into the Tata servicing?
Drive safe

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2011 at 16:52. Reason: Do NOT use inappropriate language on Team-BHP. Removing offensive word
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks