Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2021, 16:28   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Sticky interior door handles in older BMWs

Are there any BMW owners on the forum who faced the problem of their interior door handles getting sticky over a period of time? I need to take care of this problem in 520d F10 and these seem to be my options:

1. Official BMW replacement. It will cost around Rs 40K for all four doors. Apart from the price, I am concerned that I will be replacing with the same garbage that will start getting sticky in a couple of years again.

2. A bit of googling shows a shop called Car Craft India in Mumbai that is supplying after-market parts for around Rs 15K (I think). No idea about quality and fitment. I managed to convince the BMW dealer to do the fitment with the parts I provide them. They want to charge labour of 8-10K.

Sticky interior door handles in older BMWs-doorhandles.jpeg

I have the cinnamon brown interiors with matching brown colour interior door handles. I have seen some youtube videos where people used black colour door handles during replacement and to be honest it looks fabulous and also avoids dirt showing on the door handles.

Sticky interior door handles in older BMWs-brownvsblackhandle.jpg

I hate the quality of OEM material used, so I prefer to buy a very good quality non-OEM parts and preferably black instead of matching brown. Any suggestions from BMW owners who went through this issue?
androdev is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 17:20   #2
BHPian

re: Sticky interior door handles in older BMWs

Hey androdev, It may be a coincidence but I have a package that addresses the same problem as yours waiting to be delivered within the next 7-9 days. Could you post pictures of what your door handles/ door card looks like to exactly understand what needs to be fixed? Since my car just had the sticky door handle situation, I ordered a set of 4 snap on door handle plastic covers off ebay USA that should fix the issue. I will post the link of the item once I receive the product and can assess its quality.
dealer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 17:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Hey androdev, It may be a coincidence but I have a package that addresses the same problem as yours waiting to be delivered within the next 7-9 days. Could you post pictures of what your door handles/ door card looks like to exactly understand what needs to be fixed? Since my car just had the sticky door handle situation, I ordered a set of 4 snap on door handle plastic covers off ebay USA that should fix the issue. I will post the link of the item once I receive the product and can assess its quality.
You can see the door handle (with window switches) that needs replacement:
Sticky interior door handles in older BMWs-doorhandle.jpeg

As a preventive measure, want to replace the door handles on other three doors also.
androdev is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 17:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

This is interesting.

The material in my GT is also a touch sticky. Will follow this thread to see what kind of solutions are working well.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 20:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You can see the door handle (with window switches) that needs replacement:

As a preventive measure, want to replace the door handles on other three doors also.
Seeing the condition of your door handles, I would recommend going in for an OEM replacement only. Plastic/leather quality vary significantly in the aftermarket and I personally would not like to risk having quality issues on something I touch every time I step into the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
This is interesting.

The material in my GT is also a touch sticky. Will follow this thread to see what kind of solutions are working well.
Well, this is what I've ordered.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353290062736

I'll upload pictures and let you know my experience once the product arrives.
dealer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 22:05   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can see the door handle (with window switches) that needs replacement
I reckon your car is always serviced at the dealership, ask them to file a goodwill replacement claim. They won’t approve your claim but will certainly pass you a discount.

If other trims are fine, there is no need to change but take a call after having the final numbers from BMW.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 22:47   #7
BHPian

There is a shop in Pune by the name of Regal Motors who has these handles for BMWs in stock. I had asked about the same for my X3 which were around 10000 for the inner part only. For the complete set (outer leather and inner part) it was around 14000. I remember seeing the handle sets for E90, F10, F25, F30, etc.
I am not associated with the shop and had found it because it is near my house.
adi.mariner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 22:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I reckon your car is always serviced at the dealership, ask them to file a goodwill replacement claim. They won’t approve your claim but will certainly pass you a discount.

If other trims are fine, there is no need to change but take a call after having the final numbers from BMW.
I did make an attempt which expectedly did not go well. I can make a stronger case but the bigger issue is that the new handles are also made of same materials. I disliked the sticky nature of this plastic just after two years or so. If parked in hot sun, it gets really bad. Nothing else in the cabin is affected by age. One of those rubber/plastic stuff these manufacturers get terribly wrong. In S-class also I had to replace the original foot mats because they used some sort of sound-deadening rubberised base which started stinking.

I came across someone on the internet who replaced brown plastic trims with black. I thought they look much better (the doors already are dual-done) - in fact black handles are used in their more expensive interiors.

Left is the current one. Right is what I am tempted to go for. Bottom is to show that this is not a whacky mod.

Sticky interior door handles in older BMWs-bmwintscheme.jpg
androdev is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 23:04   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I hate the quality of OEM material used, so I prefer to buy a very good quality non-OEM parts and preferably black instead of matching brown. Any suggestions from BMW owners who went through this issue?
There are a couple of vendors supplying handles which are aftermarket, without the soft touch rubber which melts. Many of my friends have used them, and they are absolutely fine and work. So I would suggest you go ahead with it without a second thought (be it in brown or black lol).
Akshay1234 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 23:23   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Are there any BMW owners on the forum who faced the problem of their interior door handles getting sticky over a period of time?
I think GTO had reported this issue in his 530d too. Quoting the same here:

Quote:
As I'd mentioned earlier in this thread, the driver's door handle (on the inside) had worn out too much and was looking dirty. I put this as a manufacturing defect. Maverick checked the other 3 door handles and they were bad too (I never noticed them). BMW's warranty offered to cover 70% of the replacement cost which Maverick & I both felt is fair due to the car's age. All 4 replaced.
Quote:
The driver's door handle which prematurely wore out. Looked damn ugly:
Sticky interior door handles in older BMWs-11.jpg

Link to GTO's post
a4anurag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 23:46   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for all the helpful messages. Got a good referral in Bangalore to get this done outside of dealership. Will post an update after the job is completed.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 01:51   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful messages. Got a good referral in Bangalore to get this done outside of dealership. Will post an update after the job is completed.
May not be as easy on the 5 series but for the F30 3 series I read a post by Karan561 where he added a leather wrap on the rubber sticky piece. Link below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4659805 (The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module)

In Bangalore someone like Imperial leather can easily do this.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 10:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sticky interior door handles in older BMWs

Simple solution is, to wrap the handles professionally with high quality rubber or plastic vinyl covera. This will make the handles very neat looking and sticky nature can also be completely eliminated. Spending 40k or even 15k for aftermarket is not worth in my opinion.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 23:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Are there any BMW owners on the forum who faced the problem of their interior door handles getting sticky over a period of time? I need to take care of this problem in 520d F10 and these seem to be my options:

1. Official BMW replacement. It will cost around Rs 40K for all four doors. Apart from the price, I am concerned that I will be replacing with the same garbage that will start getting sticky in a couple of years again.

2. A bit of googling shows a shop called Car Craft India in Mumbai that is supplying after-market parts for around Rs 15K (I think). No idea about quality and fitment. I managed to convince the BMW dealer to do the fitment with the parts I provide them. They want to charge labour of 8-10K.

Attachment 2132868

I have the cinnamon brown interiors with matching brown colour interior door handles. I have seen some Youtube videos where people used black colour door handles during replacement and to be honest it looks fabulous and also avoids dirt showing on the door handles.

Attachment 2132869

This is a regular issue with BMW. I have faced the same in my car which is an X3 (F25). The same has been seen on my friend's 3GT. His first instance happened under 2 years and was replaced under warranty. However, this has started wearing down again.
What I did was go to my nearest Car accessory shop and order leather wraps. The door handles were dismantled and wrapped (the same way steerings are wrapped using glue and stitches). And I must say I am very impressed with the quality. There are quite a few videos online as well where users have reported this issue and have gone for a leather wrap. I highly recommend this than going for OE replacement spares which are extremely expensive and will disintegrate again over a few months. The handles costed me around 8k which I believe is still worth it...
rnair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 10:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Our 2013 3-series (Sport Line) has door handles that have (had, rather) a black rubber layer on them. When parked the sun they would disintegrate and leave a sticky residue on the user's hands. Over time, the back of the handles got stripped down to bare plastic. They looks ugly but are more comfortable to use now. I've also seen this in a friend's 3-series GT. We're not looking for replacement handles unless there's a guarantee that the replacements won't be sticky too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks